Roland Go Mixer reviews scare me, but what else is pocket-sized?

The Go mixers get pretty bad reviews. All I want to do is mix my iPhone and iPad audio on the go. I just want to run 3.5 mm audio from each device to the mixer. I’m not interested in something the size of a volca. What are you using?

Comments

  • edited February 16

    Behringer UCA222 is great for that, with direct monitoring switch you will have no mixing latency:

    https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA222-BEHRINGER-U-CONTROL/dp/B0023BYDHK

  • The pots could be better, but I like having this thing around. Also, it’s not 100% transparent. https://bastl-instruments.com/instruments/dude

  • edited February 16

    Are you asking as an audio interface or as a mixer?

    I use iRig Mix. dual 3.5mm channels, 1 mono input for mic or guitar, plus headphones out with cue select. Can route the guitar input into the mic input on channel 2 to use you iPhone as fox processor for guitar. Neat stuff, runs on micro usb so you can power it with a portable power bank if you’d like. I use mine every Wednesday on our mobile iOS jam Twitch stream. Twitch.tv/Tremendm_labs

    Interestingly enough to add, we use a Q2N Zoom Camera as an audio interface for our stream. We just place a mixer before the Q2N.

  • @johnfromberkeley said:
    The Go mixers get pretty bad reviews. All I want to do is mix my iPhone and iPad audio on the go. I just want to run 3.5 mm audio from each device to the mixer. I’m not interested in something the size of a volca. What are you using?

    Odd, I’ve not seen any bad reviews and I quite like mine for convenience

  • edited February 16

    Are you talking about using a splitter in reverse as a mixer? That’s worked in a pinch on the battlefield but I dunno if that’s technically the best mixing solution.
    You gotta link to a splitter with meters? Lol jk

    I really you want something with a copper bar in it, but I digress...

  • @Dr_M said:

    Are you talking about using a splitter in reverse as a mixer? That’s worked in a pinch on the battlefield but I dunno if that’s technically the best mixing solution.
    You gotta link to a splitter with meters? Lol jk

    I really you want something with a copper bar in it, but I digress...

    Yes, you can actually use any combination of inputs and outputs with this. No control whatsoever, but since @johnfromberkeley is just looking for something to mix his iPhone and iPad on the go I though he could look at this. I don't think there's anything more portable that can do that task.

  • I have one,, and i love it for certain lo-fi things.. it’s kind of designed to do nicely distorted feedback when you wire it back in on itself.. and it’s super tiny
    2 points to bear in mind
    1) the channels are only mono inputs, though they do mix to a kind of ‘faux’ stereo ouput.. ie; you can plug a stereo 3.5 into the output and both channels will have signal, no way to pan mono inputs though.
    2) it bleeds certain hi frequency signals through even if you have the Mutes on.. so not good if you want absolute silence when muted.
    have talked to Bastl about this and it’s not anything that will be improved on this version of Dude but they did say they are working on a new design mixer... no idea when that might come into being..

  • @RockySmalls said:

    2 points to bear in mind
    1) the channels are only mono inputs, though they do mix to a kind of ‘faux’ stereo ouput.. ie; you can plug a stereo 3.5 into the output and both channels will have signal, no way to pan mono inputs though.
    2) it bleeds certain hi frequency signals through even if you have the Mutes on.. so not good if you want absolute silence when muted

    So true, in my use I’ve found it’s great for the jam session and I sample with it. Inputs 1,2,3 are monosynths and 4,5 are IOS “stereo” in. I send whatever I’m keeping to a DAW track and instantly put a limiter & autopanner (Soundtoys Panman) or a spacializer (stereo maker) in the chain, and go from there. The huge gain pad on the channels is awesome for blowing out the kick to industrial levels, and the gain loop can make nice hissy sounds out of hi hertz percussion. I’ve used it in the car, outside, in a weird bag of gear for instant karaoke. I’d be a little miffed about having the dude as an only option tho.

  • Also I am curious to know if anyone has tried this as an app solution to multiple iOS mixing?
    Apogee MetaRecorder by Apogee Electronics Corp

  • edited February 17

    @Janosax said:
    Behringer UCA222 is great for that, with direct monitoring switch you will have no mixing latency:

    https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA222-BEHRINGER-U-CONTROL/dp/B0023BYDHK

    The RCA jack stoped me from buy this unit. How do you plug a guitar or keyboard in? A mixer? A rca to 1/4 inch jack? Seems like a annoyance.

  • @ashen_hand said:
    Also I am curious to know if anyone has tried this as an app solution to multiple iOS mixing?
    Apogee MetaRecorder by Apogee Electronics Corp

    Huh, have not seen this prior but looks interesting. Essentially it allows simultaneous recording on multiple devices?

  • Have you tried just twisting two bits of wire together?

  • edited February 17

    @branis said:

    @Dr_M said:

    Are you talking about using a splitter in reverse as a mixer? That’s worked in a pinch on the battlefield but I dunno if that’s technically the best mixing solution.
    You gotta link to a splitter with meters? Lol jk

    I really you want something with a copper bar in it, but I digress...

    Yes, you can actually use any combination of inputs and outputs with this. No control whatsoever, but since @johnfromberkeley is just looking for something to mix his iPhone and iPad on the go I though he could look at this. I don't think there's anything more portable that can do that task.

    Oh yeah, let me introduce the Raider Fader and his plethora of portable PASSIVE mixers

    https://www.raidenfader.com/product/preorder-raiden-fader-vvt-mk1-black-grey-limited-monotone-edition

  • edited February 17

    @ecou

    What @johnfromberkeley wants is just mixing iPhone and iPad on the go with no additional sources, this is why I’ve adviced for that audio interface which is perfect for that purpose. Just read first post. There are lot of other solutions for guitars etc, just read some of other posts.

  • Rolls MX41B passive mixer

    Four Stereo 1/4" and 1/8" Inputs
    3.6 x 2.7 x 1.4"

    Rolls also makes another passive mixer MX42 which is even smaller: 3" x 2" x 1.42"

    There's also Maker Hart Just Mixer (2.7 x 4.1 x 0.9") which needs to be powered by USB or battery

  • edited February 17

    Be careful with some passive mixers, they can lack headphone output power and have bad sound quality, it was the case with this one I had for a few days before I asked for a refund:

    https://www.amazon.com/Pepperdecks-DJOCLATE-Djoclate/dp/B00BMH382W

  • @Janosax said:
    @ecou

    What @johnfromberkeley wants is just mixing iPhone and iPad on the go with no additional sources, this is why I’ve adviced for that audio interface which is perfect for that purpose. Just read first post. There are lot of other solutions for guitars etc, just read some of other posts.

    I simply gave my opinion on the unit. Who knows If down the line the OP may not wanna plug a external synth or guitar.

    It’s good to buy a unit with growth potential.

  • edited February 17

    @ecou of course, and I agree with you. It really all depends on individual needs. I have several audio interfaces and use the UCA222 only for mixing my iPhone with my laptop. I have an iRig Pro I/O mounted in my saxophone mute for my condenser mic (also mobile in case of need), and also plan to buy a Behringer 1820 for multi-outputs on stage. That way, I’m always ready to make my music, almost nothing to unplug/plug. Some others prefer to have only one interface for all purposes.

  • The rolls are nice but pricey. Those Hart mixers tho have the worst reviews...

  • Most convenient mixers on the go may be those small passive summing mixers. They will colour your digital sound a little of course. For example this one: unitaudio.com/index.html or this one: https://summing.vintagemaker.net/DESKTOP-SUMMING/#4_input_channel_summing_mixer

    Radial Engineering also produces small quality mixers, for example this one: radialeng.com/product/mix-21

  • My wife had one of those Rolls mixers for awhile, it was convenient but definitely had a bit loud noisefloor too. Maybe the newer ones are better though, not sure.

  • @Janosax said:

    What @johnfromberkeley wants is just mixing iPhone and iPad on the go with no additional sources, this is why I’ve adviced for that audio interface which is perfect for that purpose. Just read first post. There are lot of other solutions for guitars etc, just read some of other posts.

    You can mix two iOS devices with that?

  • @branis said:
    Depending on your exact needs, something simple like this could do:
    https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-RockStar-5-Jack-Headphone-Splitter/dp/B00E9W11QM/

    That's what I use these days. Plus a barrel adapter on the 1/8" to allow for headphone input (though I think they can all go in any direction). Control the volume from the headphone outs.

    Maybe not as nice as other solutions but price and size and zero power concerns won me over.

    Dude always looks interesting to me but who puts inputs on the front of a mixer?? Modular dudes who are used to life with cables, that's who.

  • I have both a Rolls and a Hart. The Rolls is what I use live, while the Hart is really only good for connecting my two iPads to one headphone output when I want to work on ideas out on my deck.

  • Yes it’s an audio interface but with direct monitoring so it’s basically a mixer too, with added capability to record one iDevice on the second one. Super compact and low cost, not stellar sound but good enough for some production on the go.

  • there's a new one from Hart. Maybe too big for summing just two iPads, but rather cheap in price.

    https://makerhart.com/product_d.php?lang=en&tb=1&id=465

  • Reporting back that I bought the Rolls MX44 Pro. I like it.

Sign In or Register to comment.