Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

File attachments

It appears that this is limited to pic/vids currently. Just wondering if audio files are, or can be, supported in Vanilla.

Comments

• I don't know too much about databases, but I believe large files might be better stored on places better designed for file storage. When I worked with databases (12 years ago), things became really unstable when large files were stored in them, because of the database size limits. This may all have changed in the time since I worked with them however, and what I'm saying May not be relevant anymore.... :-) Wouldn't SoundCloud be a viable option?

Nevertheless, I'd sure love to see a place where patches (generally small in size if they don't include samples) could be stored and shared, so it is an interesting question. Maybe zip files could be added as attachments and limited to a certain size?

• Audio files are typically bigger and you should really use SoundCloud for them.

• The problem I have with Soundcloud is that there are times that I'd prefer to not share beyond the AB forum. Dropbox works ok for that though...just an extra step or so. I guess that might be a good interim solution for presets too.

• Trouble is, I can't be bothered to download someone's audio file, then open it in an app that can play it, just to satisfy my curiosity as to what it sounds like...

• Sure...Soundcloud is fine for that. I'm mainly talking about attaching file to address something that has come up in the forum.

• Sure, but I thought I'd mention it seeing as how I didn't listen to the DD example you stuck on Dropbox in response to a comment I made... Sorry...

• @funjunkie27 - couldn't you just make the files "private" on SoundCloud and share the private link? It shouldn't showup in your public files, so only someone who get's the posted share link would find it. I don't have a SoundCloud account yet, I just listen to what people post currently.

• I was wondering if others could access a private Soundcloud link. If so, that would do the trick. I'll give that a try when the need arises. Thanks @Ganthofer.

• Could possibly add an audio player to the forum with fairly minimal. If a wav/mp3/blah file is linked, JavaScript wraps it in an HTML5 audio player. @sebastian Happy to help make that happen.

• With the amount of traffic this forum is receiving I'm really not sure if we want to start hosting audio files. We'll think about it though.

• edited January 2014

Absolutely, I meant in order to avoid hosting audio files but still offer a player UI so that we can get @paulb to listen (must admit, I'm the same way - I don't click most audio links but will happily hit [PLAY] on a SC link).

If someone inserts a link that points to http://mysite.com/foo.wav or http://dropbox.com/myawesomesample.mp3 javascript can turn them into 'playable' links. 10 lines of jQuery tomfoolery should do it.

• edited January 2014

This seems to work well enough. Worth noting that not all browsers can play all audio formats. Most notably, IE wont play .wav files and not all version of Firefox can play MP3s.

var href;
    $('.Message a').each(function (i, item){
        href = $(item).attr('href');

if (/wav$/.test(href) || /mp3$/.test(href) ){
            $('<audio></audio>')
                .attr('src', href).attr('controls', 'controls')
                .insertAfter($(item).closest('p'));
        }
    });

• I've just implemented this, in a spare moment