Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Photon AU is available

Comments

• @Jumpercollins said:

@ALB Been using AB3 with Photon loaded and virtual midi out selected in the midi out slot in AB3 letting me record direct into NS2

Nice - hadn’t thought of this variation.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Has anyone managed to “midi learn” the Photon pads to a hardware midi device yet
    in AB3 for looping purposes?

Does AB3 now state save any midi learn setup once programmed in?

In AUM the parameters are listed. ie “pad 1 stop,start.”

In AB3 CC are just numbers what am I missing ? Do parameters show up listed?

Yes, I mapped my controller to the pads in AB3--works great and AB3 does save presets and global map profiles. You need to tap on the photon icon in the midi lane to get to the correct parameters. You are looking at the controls to switch apps (which is cool but not what you are trying to do).

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Has anyone managed to “midi learn” the Photon pads to a hardware midi device yet
    in AB3 for looping purposes?

Does AB3 now state save any midi learn setup once programmed in?

In AUM the parameters are listed. ie “pad 1 stop,start.”

In AB3 CC are just numbers what am I missing ? Do parameters show up listed?

Yes, I mapped my controller to the pads in AB3--works great and AB3 does save presets and global map profiles. You need to tap on the photon icon in the midi lane to get to the correct parameters. You are looking at the controls to switch apps (which is cool but not what you are trying to do).

@lukesleepwalker Cheers, when I tap the Photon icon in the midi lane I get 4 sub menus which one shows parameters ie “pad 1start stop”, as not seeing them listed ?

Edit Ok found it now Cheers 👍

Yeah, cool. Lots of interesting stuff you can do by starting and stopping all four pads independently, especially "off the grid".

• @midiSequencer

A future thought.

Would love to see you open up some of the parameters learning with controls showing for Audiobus Remote. ie “Pad start stop”etc.

Would be cool to use on a second device for live looping if one doesn’t have a hardware controller handy.

• Instant buy once it goes universal

• Been playing with the groove function can hear any changes or what it does ?

• @Puma said:
    I’m having troubles with the files saved from the buffer to the midi files library: they appear to be empty everytime. Am i doing something wrong?

There is a bug with copy pad to buffer , it saves an empty file. Fix in the next update.
    tbh pad buffers are just what you copy from the buffer. ie transpose, tempo etc are modifiers during play.

If you’re getting an empty file with just the internal buffer save let me know. The show button displays all the buffers, just tap the note display to cycle thru them. You can then check whats in each buffer(internal, groove & pad 1 to 4)

• did you know you can use a 2nd instance of Photon to record the 1st ones pads?

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @midiSequencer

A future thought.

Would love to see you open up some of the parameters learning with controls showing for Audiobus Remote. ie “Pad start stop”etc.

Would be cool to use on a second device for live looping if one doesn’t have a hardware controller handy.

>
    Added to my list. tbh Ive focused mainly on AUM as it supports multiple outputs. ApeMatrix is developing that(for polythemus actually, but photon too). Michael hasnt added it yet to AB3 (although I spoke to him last year about it)

• edited February 2019

@Jumpercollins said:
    Been playing with the groove function can hear any changes or what it does ?

Did u mean can’t?
    Keep groove patterns really simple (eg step record a few notes & rests and save as a midi file. load that in as a groove & apply to say a regular set of notes, they then inherit the groove note start beats applied in a loop.
    Im going to show a video of this applied to Mozart - it sounds wonderfully different, more like Bach!
    Of course im not familiar with anything modern, so will leave that up to you younger folk

• @midiSequencer said:

@Puma said:
    I’m having troubles with the files saved from the buffer to the midi files library: they appear to be empty everytime. Am i doing something wrong?

There is a bug with copy pad to buffer , it saves an empty file. Fix in the next update.
    tbh pad buffers are just what you copy from the buffer. ie transpose, tempo etc are modifiers during play.

If you’re getting an empty file with just the internal buffer save let me know. The show button displays all the buffers, just tap the note display to cycle thru them. You can then check whats in each buffer(internal, groove & pad 1 to 4)

I think thats exactly the case. Im trying to record something on the buffer, load a Groove, apply the groove to the buffer, assign it to a pad, if i like what im hearing i take it back to the buffer and try to save it to export it... but i'm getting an empty file. Guess is the Bug you are talking about.

It would be really helpful to have a preview of some sort on the buffer so you could work directly on it and avoid having to assign it to a pad, becuase im getting so many interesting results when applying the groove thingy to the recording

• edited February 2019

@Puma the groove is applied to the internal buffer so just save it then. I usually save it first before applying anything. I will at some point put in multiitracks this will allow you to work with versions/backups

the preview is assigning it to the pad & playing - just no need to copy back as its already a copy.

• Bug report? Aum hosted iSEM and model d. When re routing midi file from model d to iSEM model d continues to sound as a single note. No midi note off?

• @SheffieldBleep said:
    Bug report? Aum hosted iSEM and model d. When re routing midi file from model d to iSEM model d continues to sound as a single note. No midi note off?

I don't think its possible for an au app to know if the host has rerouted its inputs or outputs - we just get an audio buffer & midi event list.
    Best practice is to stop Photon playing first.

• @lukesleepwalker said

Yes, use the quantise controls in the lower right of the real time recorder panel. The default is off.

Just checking for clarification...I don’t necessarily want to quantize my playing, only quantize when recording begins.

• @bcrichards said:

@lukesleepwalker said

Yes, use the quantise controls in the lower right of the real time recorder panel. The default is off.

Just checking for clarification...I don’t necessarily want to quantize my playing, only quantize when recording begins.

Exactly, I have the same question.

• @bcrichards said:

@lukesleepwalker said

Yep, give that dial a try--and set the length next to it. It quantise bars for recording. Note the text to the right which allows for different timing. I agree that it's misleading in this context--I missed the purpose for a while until I saw how it worked.

• @midiSequencer said:
    Im going to show a video of this applied to Mozart - it sounds wonderfully different, more like Bach!
    Of course im not familiar with anything modern, so will leave that up to you younger folk

YES PLEASE! :)

• edited February 2019

Am I doing something wrong, or is Photon not really in synch with host tempo when recording? I set up a simple drum pattern i Rozeta with bass drum on 1 and 3 and snare on 2 and 4. Set Photon up to record 4 bars. Result is as below.

It seens to be drifting. Am I setting up the wrong way?

• @bcrichards said:

I’ve read through manual and maybe I’ve missed it. Is there a way to sync recording to the host clock so it starts recording on down beat of a bar, not when Photon receives a midi message?

Similar issue here. Trying to realtime record some offbeat reggae chords that are on beats 2 + 4 and there seems to be no way to do this with the options so far. There needs to be a sync start on the bar option. I’ve tried recording (on the Immediate setting) 6 bars with 2 empty bars at the start and then trimming down to the 4 bars that I actually need... should be an easier method?

• Ok thanks for responding. I was imagining some midi version of loopy which would work in a live setting. Need to get my head around uses for this app

@midiSequencer said:

@SheffieldBleep said:
    Bug report? Aum hosted iSEM and model d. When re routing midi file from model d to iSEM model d continues to sound as a single note. No midi note off?

I don't think its possible for an au app to know if the host has rerouted its inputs or outputs - we just get an audio buffer & midi event list.
    Best practice is to stop Photon playing first.

• @midiSequencer said:

@ageezz said:
    My notes were input using step input - each note one beat long so I don't have any notes overhanging the best quantum.

Apart from this niggling bug this app is so good - congratulations and good luck on trapping the error

Ok noted its with step record. thx

Not just with step record though. With recorded fixed length loops and also with imported loops that work in other hosts. (I’m testing in AudioBus, haven’t tried AUM yet).

Thanks for this great app! Good luck squishing the bugs. B)

• @NoonienS I tried this with aum bpm 90, rozeta bass & it records fine for me.
    what aum settings do you have (44k 1024 etc)?

• @midiSequencer said:
    @NoonienS I tried this with aum bpm 90, rozeta bass & it records fine for me.

Seems to be 48k/256. Got the same behaviour in AB3 as well. Sync doesn’t seem to work on playback either. Created a Midi file with Chordflow, opened it in Photon and played in a Pad. Doesn’t stay in sync with host. I’m using an 2018 iPad pro

• @Rodolfo said:

@bcrichards said:

@lukesleepwalker said

Exactly, I have the same question.

Ack, my fault. I miss misunderstood the question.

• @lukesleepwalker not at all, a poorly worded question on my part.

• @NoonienS said:
    Am I doing something wrong, or is Photon not really in synch with host tempo when recording? I set up a simple drum pattern i Rozeta with bass drum on 1 and 3 and snare on 2 and 4. Set Photon up to record 4 bars. Result is as below.

It looks like quantize is off so turn it on and set to 1/4 note or whatever you want it to be.

• @yowza said:

@NoonienS said:

It looks like quantize is off so turn it on and set to 1/4 note or whatever you want it to be.

Rozeta Rhytm is for sure in synch with host tempo and those notes are at the right beats (can see that in Aum), so if Photon is syncing correctly with host tempo, there should not be such a drastic drift. Cant’ see why Quantize would help then...

• @NoonienS said:

@midiSequencer said:
    @NoonienS I tried this with aum bpm 90, rozeta bass & it records fine for me.

Seems to be 48k/256. Got the same behaviour in AB3 as well. Sync doesn’t seem to work on playback either. Created a Midi file with Chordflow, opened it in Photon and played in a Pad. Doesn’t stay in sync with host. I’m using an 2018 iPad pro

can you try 44/1024 - I want to see if its related to the sample rate & buffer size?
    Generally the bigger the buffer the more midi I can process in one call too.

• can I ask if you're liking photon that you leave a rating please - it really helps promote it for me!
    Only if you don't mind....

• @yowza said:

@NoonienS said:

Shouldn't need Quantize on for recording - its only for special effect. Infact you can use Edit/Quantise after recording anyway.
    If you have record type set to "Midi Note" that note should record at sample 0 (i.e. beat 1.0)
    I'm going to test this tomorrow with rozeta some more - first test I did today worked, so something odd here