Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Photon AU is available

Comments

• You could also try selecting what you want to keep, and using Crop.

• @Audiojunkie said:
    I haven't been following the whole thread....I've just been checking in occasionally (because I use just an iPhone), but am I right that Photon is not yet universal? Thanks in advance!

After state saving comes the new UI for phones, its only the UI that needs adapting

• @espiegel123 said:
    @midiSequencer : it would be great if the edit buffer's length dial were sensitive to the length of the buffer. I was just recording something that ended up being 37.3 measures long. I wanted to trim to 36 measures but the length dial maxed at 24. Maybe, the dial's range can be shifted to account for the buffer's length?

yep, sounds like a bug I can easily fix!!

• @midiSequencer : it looks like sometimes the dial does adjust. I am not quite sure of the exact steps I did. Let me know if you need more information and I'll try some more.

@wim: with a really long buffer, i find it difficult to select with precision (my issue not a software flaw).

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@espiegel123 said:
    @midiSequencer : it looks like sometimes the dial does adjust. I am not quite sure of the exact steps I did. Let me know if you need more information and I'll try some more.

@wim: with a really long buffer, i find it difficult to select with precision (my issue not a software flaw).

No, it’s true, that’s a small window to work with for a long loop. Sometimes it’s enough to get somewhere close, then use the number of beats.

• edited April 2019

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @midiSequencer : it looks like sometimes the dial does adjust. I am not quite sure of the exact steps I did. Let me know if you need more information and I'll try some more.

No, it’s true, that’s a small window to work with for a long loop. Sometimes it’s enough to get somewhere close, then use the number of beats.

Adding ability to tap the number & enter length using onscreen keyboard to the list.

• I believe that the real king on it is Quantiloop. I’ve worked with it a lot and it is amazing! At a moment all of my drums and synths is on Gadget 2 triggered by midi guitar app and Guitar Wing controller. I record all as audio inside Quantiloop, but unfortunately doesn’t have quantitization and sometimes drums doesn’t sounds good. Even though it’s happened, I just start to record, than overdub and voilà! Ableton Link sets the tempo!

QTL pedals are set:

1st and 2nd: parallel (as master group)
    3rd and 4th: serial (as phrase group).

I hope it could help!

Ps: sorry for language issues guys! Hahahaha

@midiSequencer said:
    @wim but Photon allows you to dial in a loop length before recording.
    Whilst recording at one tempo I can of course allow you to change it or have Photon auto-size it say.
    Will look at Loopy some more to capture this magic

• Sometimes, I’m a very dumb man. State saving will rid me of some painful moments. So many jams lost because I done goofed.

• @rezidue said:
    Sometimes, I’m a very dumb man. State saving will rid me of some painful moments. So many jams lost because I done goofed.

You are in illustrious company in this club of dumb men.

• @midiSequencer : any chance that you might incorporate an option to de-couple Photon from the host clock so that you ran run multiple photons with arbitrary tempos? I would love to do some Reichian MIDI looping where one has multiple photons at very slightly different clock speeds over a long time

• @espiegel123 said:
    @midiSequencer : any chance that you might incorporate an option to de-couple Photon from the host clock so that you ran run multiple photons with arbitrary tempos? I would love to do some Reichian MIDI looping where one has multiple photons at very slightly different clock speeds over a long time

Yes please!

• @espiegel123 & @Synthi will add to my list. I'm moving onto Photon next to do some fixes....

• So I’m smarter in my usage but it’s still easy to forget I not only need to save each pad to a file but then load each midi file into my saved project after loading. Hope state saving is added soon.

• @rezidue said:
    So I’m smarter in my usage but it’s still easy to forget I not only need to save each pad to a file but then load each midi file into my saved project after loading. Hope state saving is added soon.

+1 and universal🤞

• @rezidue said:
    So I’m smarter in my usage but it’s still easy to forget I not only need to save each pad to a file but then load each midi file into my saved project after loading. Hope state saving is added soon.

Yep, we haven't heard from @midiSequencer in a while!

• @midiSequencer is the iPhone version of photon still planned?

• @midiSequencer : I have experienced some crashes making longer recordings recently. The data being recorded is pretty sparse .... mostly MIDI CC messages. Hopefully, you have received the analytics data. If not, let me know.

In some cases, no notes were being played as I was trying to capture midi cc controller data only.

But it seems that Photon doesn’t save the buffer unless there is some note data.

If you need more information , please let me know.

It would be great if Photon didn’t require note data to save the buffer.

I hope that full state-saving is coming.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @midiSequencer : any chance that you might incorporate an option to de-couple Photon from the host clock so that you ran run multiple photons with arbitrary tempos? I would love to do some Reichian MIDI looping where one has multiple photons at very slightly different clock speeds over a long time

+1
    I'm waiting for a midi looper (s) playground that is not locked to clocks or BPM...
    I like to play performances and have them loop on top of each other - lots of interesting outcomes that never can happen when the software determines that I must need a BPM cycle to work with.
    My internal clock is fine and I am happy with it ( I was born with it )

Until then I'll just wait until a dev makes it happen :#

• @Mayo said:

@espiegel123 said:

+1
    I'm waiting for a midi looper (s) playground that is not locked to clocks or BPM...
    I like to play performances and have them loop on top of each other - lots of interesting outcomes that never can happen when the software determines that I must need a BPM cycle to work with.

Can Midi even work without a clock of some sort?

• @CracklePot said:

@Mayo said:

@espiegel123 said:

+1

The clocks can be unco-ordinated/invisible to the user. Loopy is a good model in that it is very flexible. You can have your loops synched to a common clock or not. You can also have the clock be derived from your first loop.

• @espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

@Mayo said:

@espiegel123 said:

+1

The clocks can be unco-ordinated/invisible to the user. Loopy is a good model in that it is very flexible. You can have your loops synched to a common clock or not. You can also have the clock be derived from your first loop.

But a clock of some sort is a requirement, isn’t it?
    Even for audio, there is sample rate, another form of clock.
    I don’t really know, maybe I have it wrong?

• @CracklePot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

@Mayo said:

@espiegel123 said:

+1

But a clock of some sort is a requirement, isn’t it?
    Even for audio, there is sample rate, another form of clock.
    I don’t really know, maybe I have it wrong?

In terms of what we are talking about, there is nothing that prevents two midi loops from being played with independent clocks/tempos. I used to use a MIDI sequencer (on the Mac) that allowed multiple sequences to play simultaneously without co-ordination.

• Yeah a digital clock is required to even play, I was talking about having loops that are time related.
    Record/drop out/loop - repeat. Every loop is different
    No BPM involved - that can be worked out later if needs be.

• @Mayo said:
    Yeah a digital clock is required to even play, I was talking about having loops that are time related.
    Record/drop out/loop - repeat. Every loop is different
    No BPM involved - that can be worked out later if needs be.

That sounds like non-quantized looping, with arbitrary loop lengths. That may be possible already, but you might have to find the right app to do it in. And that feature/capability may not be explicitly listed, but sort of secretly exist in certain apps.

If I come across an app that can do it, I will let you know. You can do it with audio loops in Loopy, but Midi is the thing I will look out for.

• @CracklePot said:

Sure. I can plug any MIDI keyboard into any of my synths that have MIDI jacks, and play the keyboard and have the synth receive MIDI without a clock running.

• @GovernorSilver said:

@CracklePot said:

Sure. I can plug any MIDI keyboard into any of my synths that have MIDI jacks, and play the keyboard and have the synth receive MIDI without a clock running.

Ok. Now how about midi recording and looping that?
    That is what we are discussing.
    You went too general, but are right in your statement.

• @CracklePot said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@CracklePot said:

There is nothing that prevents independent clocks/tempos even when recording. Sending midi notes doesn't require sending clock. Recording notes doesn't require syncing to another clock.

One could create a MIDI looping app that has all the same sorts of options as Loopy. There is no technical obstacle.

I think @midiSequencer indicated that he would look into it.

• @espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@CracklePot said:

There is nothing that prevents independent clocks/tempos even when recording. Sending midi notes doesn't require sending clock. Recording notes doesn't require syncing to another clock.

One could create a MIDI looping app that has all the same sorts of options as Loopy. There is no technical obstacle.

But for recording and playing back recorded sequences, looped or not, a clock is required.
    Sure it can be independent, or not synced externally, but a clock would still be needed.
    If you have stuff playing back over time, at predetermined points in time, you would need a clock to reference the time stuff needs to happen.

Not talking about live humans playing keyboards, or un-synced clocks, or even many independent clocks. Just the idea that to have data played back in a sequence, you need to reference time in some way. For that you would need a clock, correct?

• @CracklePot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@CracklePot said:

But for recording and playing back recorded sequences, looped or not, a clock is required.
    Sure it can be independent, or not synced externally, but a clock would still be needed.
    If you have stuff playing back over time, at predetermined points in time, you would need a clock to reference the time stuff needs to happen.

Not talking about live humans playing keyboards, or un-synced clocks, or even many independent clocks. Just the idea that to have data played back in a sequence, you need to reference time in some way. For that you would need a clock, correct?

The clocks can be independent. And unsynched. From the user perspective, you can think of the clocks as independent even if in some sense there is a master clock.

I am not sure what the confusion is. You can have three sequencers right now running unsynched. Nothing prevents an app from playing tracks that have essentially independent clocks.

• @espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@CracklePot said:

The clocks can be independent. And unsynched. From the user perspective, you can think of the clocks as independent even if in some sense there is a master clock.

I am not sure what the confusion is. You can have three sequencers right now running unsynched. Nothing prevents an app from playing tracks that have essentially independent clocks.

The confusion is you keep talking about independent clocks, but that doesn’t mean no clocks are required. Each sequencer still has a clock, in your example.
    I am talking about the basic requirement of a clock to place things in time.
    You need a measure of time, in other words a clock.
    It could be an internal, independent clock, unrelated to any ‘other’ or ‘master’ clock (except maybe the CPU).