Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Shimmer AU - 4Pockets long reverb/delay/pitch shifter

Comments

• @ricksteruk said:

@Janosax said:

@ricksteruk said:
    Yeah this sounds great! Been wanting an AU Shimmer for a while now.

I'm just testing it out in AUM and I am wondering if I have found a bug - or if this is usual behaviour....

When I try out a rhythmic bpm modulation, with AUM in stop the Shimmer seems to play at 120bpm (I think)- rather than the tempo that is set in AUM... when I press play in AUM the Shimmers bpm swaps to the correct tempo (75 is what I am testing with) - and then when I press stop again in AUM the Shimmer goes back to the default 120.

is that usual AUM behaviour regarding sending tempo to an AUv3

If so that is quite irritating!

Sounds like a bug. You can contact 4pockets via Facebook/Messenger to report the issue.

Hmm.... I've just clicked into the GUI of Shimmer and now it seems to constantly respond to the AUM tempo! Weird!! and typical that it sorts itself out right after I've complained about it.. lol.

If it starts messing up again I'll let 4pockets know

Just like when I go to the doctor and there is no more symptoms :D It seems they have a new website with contact info: https://www.4pocketsaudio.com/contact.php

• Got it! This will be perfect for s song I’m currently finishing

• @gregsmith said:
    Got it! This will be perfect for s song I’m currently finishing

I'm finding it perfect for almost any song I'm working on. Gotta hold myself off on over using it I think! What a gorgeous sound this adds to pretty much everything (haven't tried any drums or percussion yet..)

• @Halftone said:

@gregsmith said:
    Got it! This will be perfect for s song I’m currently finishing

I'm finding it perfect for almost any song I'm working on. Gotta hold myself off on over using it I think! What a gorgeous sound this adds to pretty much everything (haven't tried any drums or percussion yet..)

Absolutely, it’s like magic sauce! :smile:

• This is a great thing :)

• Used it a little yesterday and liked it well enough, but found the sound quality to be less than, say, Kleverb, which can also add harmonic content. Understand that this is aiming to be a “niche” reverb rather than an all arounder. I’ll spend more time with this later.

• Got it!
    Delving into the pitch, harmonic exciter and modulation :)

• edited February 2019

Bought this as people were saying it was as good as Valhalla shimmer which I own, it’s ok but it’s not in the same league as Valhalla.

• It's beeeaaauuutiful!

• @AVX said:
    Bought this as people were saying it was as good as Valhalla shimmer which I own, it’s ok but it’s not in the same league as Valhalla.

Release hype, always happens, everything has to be better than something else with some people, invariably those sorts of people are always wrong.

• edited February 2019

@AVX said:

I downloaded the trial version of Valhalla shimmer and tried it out for a while. I liked it a lot. I disagree with your assessment that Shimmer AU is not in the same league.I think they’re both great. Shimmer AU has at least one thing that Valhalla shimmer doesn’t though. That’s the ability to work on a iPhone and iPad. It’s also $43 cheaper.
    It’s also interesting that you just created an account today to come and share your views. A bit suspicious, if you ask me. Welcome to the forum, though!

• edited February 2019

I just picked up the Toneboosters Reverb v4 plug-in for desktop. That has a really nice shimmer as well. It’s a fun type of effect.

• @Philh0954 said:
    It’s also interesting that you just created an account today to come and share your views. A bit suspicious, if you ask me.

Way to welcome a newcomer! Lol.
    Everyone needs to have a first post and buying a new app and being a bit disappointed is as good a reason as any. I’m giving @AVX the benefit of doubt and a hearty welcome! 🙂

• I don’t know what people are smoking but, this sounds nothing like a proper shimmer verb (eg Valhalla and so on). It’s fairly gnarly, but that’s not to say you can’t use it. It does belong in the Creative type of fx, and can obviously be used for...creative purposes. Just don’t buy this thinking you’re getting a taste of Valhalla/Eventide/Strymon.

• Yeah, come back @Cib and give us the real deal about iOS reverbs! 🙂

Tangent but I was sorry to see @Cib go as he felt unwelcome here. Shame.

• edited February 2019

In the devs defense, nowhere do they claim to be a Valhalla replacement or even competitor. I compared it to Crystalline earlier, and it’s a great replacement for that since it’s an auv3 effect.

• Best iOS AU Shimmer.

• So yeah, this isn't Valhalla Shimmer at all.

Another reverb, but it's too far away from clasical/musical shimmer reverb.

In fact, if you combine reverb + delay with busses on AUM the result is much better than this.

• The first update has dropped putting more control in for the exciter.

• @OnfraySin said:
    So yeah, this isn't Valhalla Shimmer at all.

In fact, if you combine reverb + delay with busses on AUM the result is much better than this.

I figured this effect was probably recreatable with a mixture of plugins, but it sounds good to me for £7!

It’d be good to see a video of this vs valhalla on the same sample

• @gregsmith said:

@OnfraySin said:
    So yeah, this isn't Valhalla Shimmer at all.

I figured this effect was probably recreatable with a mixture of plugins, but it sounds good to me for £7!

It’d be good to see a video of this vs valhalla on the same sample

This app is actually a mixture of effects. There are many possibilities. The people that are dismissing it as ‘meh’ most likely tried the presets only, or worse, went off someone else’s demo.

• This stuff is not usually on my radar, but this gets me, if only for the retro VU meters. Also excited by the harmonic exciter. Does it save settings?

• edited February 2019
    My ship has arrived. Awesome sound, slick UI with fluid au functionality.

Thx 4 Pocktes👍🏼
  • Little soundscape covered in Shimmer
    https://soundcloud.com/barabajagal74/information-bleed
  • Off topic Valhalla DSP who makes the desktop Shimmer got a Delay effect plugin on the way.

For these who don’t know yet. Here’s one sample of its use.

https://soundcloud.com/dongunn/horrorshow

• wow. shimmer AU is sounding great. I built it into a live acoustic guitar set and to sculpt it a bit more precisely I put an instance of pro-Q2 before it and one after. So lush.