Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

External input?

With iConnectMidi2+ I can record iOS apps directly into my DAW. Wouldn't it be great if AB2 allowed not just mic input but also external input from instruments or computer?

Comments

• If you mean from your audio interface, that's exactly what it does, as does AB1...

• First of all: Happy New Year! :D
    @PaulB : is it possible to connect an audio interface to an ipad with iConnectMidi2+ without using a PC\Mac?

• I can answer that, it should be. You may not even need the iConnect in that situation.

For instance, if you took one of the Focusrite Scarlett series interfaces (my personal recommendation, gotta love those preamps), run the usb out of that into the CCK, then into the iPad. You now have both audio and MIDI.

• But with iConnectmidi I can power the ipad battery when I'm playing\recording!

• Still not sure we're talking about the same thing, but I'd love to be proven wrong. I am NOT talking about audio in from a mic or guitar rig. I'm talking about routing the output of my DAW (Live) via AB into the iPad. Still cannot see a way to do that (using iConnectMidi2+), no apparent "input" option for AB which would allow that. If I am still missing the point, please help!

• edited January 2014

could use that dmi mixer app as the input, again, will need some kind of physical input (interface from the daw on your laptop/desktop)

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/3092/video-dmimixer-demo-and-tutorial-using-two-hardware-synths-/p1

• As far as using the iConnect2+ to connect an audio interface to the iPad with no computer:
    Nope. It should be possible with the 4+, if the interface is class compliant.

• edited January 2014

AB is not the limitation here. If the audio presents itself via USB through a CCK, then AB can use it. The mic option does either mic or interface, depending on what's plugged in. If your iConnect2+ can't get the signal there via a USB connection, then that's a different issue.

• Finally an answer. I did not realize that "mic" didn't always mean mic. I will experiment more.

• Sorry to have kept you waiting so long...

• @PaulB said:

Sorry to have kept you waiting so long...

;)

• We'll need to dock @PaulB pay this month.

• I can't be docked, I only have the sync cable.

• @CalCutta hey, can you explain that please? i've been looking for an audio interface that suits me, and i really agree with you on the focusrite preamps quality - i have my finger hanging over buy on the focusrite bundle (solo (so one preamp) not scarlet, but comes with a focusrite mic, cables, connections, and good monitor headphones, all for 200 euros) on amazon, and the only thing keeping me from ordering it is the lack of midi. I really need a good preamp + mic (i am mainly a vocalist) but i often need to use a keyboard, or keyboard interface (and i'd like to be able to control my apps other than from the on screen keyboard). I never used the CCK, and upon reading your post, which, if i understood it correctly, suggests that it is possible to have midi and audio routing simultaneously from the ipad dock with a focusrite going through the cck instead of directly into the ipad, i've searched for and looked at cck images on google, but found there are many models (ones that have only one input, others up to 4 or 5 - usb, sd cards etc) and wasn't able to understand / figure out the setup you described..

• cck <- powered hub <- (HDE MIDI USB interface | Solo). Lots of bits. If you go any bigger than the Solo you are going to need a powered USB hub anyway. The Focusrite 2i4 has both.

• 'both' as in Audio and MIDI, bus powered, but I don't think the iPad can do it directly which is why you'll need a powered hub to power it