Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OP-1 Is Back! (And WAY More Expensive!)

Comments

• Why should the scalpers get all the profit and not the original designers? If anyone deserves it it’s them right? >:)

• I did a search for it, and Google Shopping displayed it at £799 with a link to the retailer (not TE).

When I clicked the link, the price went up to £1199.

If they had it in stock, I bet they’re laughing all the way to the bank - instant £400 bonus.

• edited February 2019

@brambos said:
    Why should the scalpers get all the profit and not the original designers? If anyone deserves it it’s them right? >:)

I agree. If people will pay for it - good for them. I suspect the price is also set to limit the quantity they have to build and whatever special build process they have for lower quantities, etc.

But...

There's SO many other amazing hardware synths out there for that much money (including the Novation Peak and the Prophet8Rev2). Or iOS devices+apps.

• Seems the usual ditch the computer (and even iPads which aren't true computers or post-pc nothing) workflow. It makes me remember why I still love BlocsWave (but I still hate ampify! not true :trollface: ) for it's simplicity.

Still not my cup of tea from bangxbuck POV but maybe the best iOS tools inside a standalone hardware and well optimized... so makes a point almost for me.

Side note: You need the music skills to do that song, chord progression and harmony aren't trivial and know what? iOS has some nice tools just for that... I don't see the point of one against other, just use both if you can afford them of course.

• @mistercharlie said:
    I’d like to know too. I’ve used an OP-Z and found it to be excellent. If it had a sampler built in, then it’d be totally killer. Is the OP-1 something like that?

No. Couldn’t be more different. Except for having some of the sounds. I’m hoping one of the future opz modules will have sampling. In the meantime importing sounds is super easy and of course it’s a perfect companion for the ipad, with every sound you could want. The op1 is fun (i’ve had and enjoyed and sold three) but i prefer the opz a million times more.

• You could buy an OP-Z, and an iPad for less than the price of an OP-1. You’d still have change for a nice controller keyboard too.

Or you could buy four Novation circuits.

Or 4 Behringer model Ds.

Or a digitakt and an OP-Z

Or two OP-Zs

Or an OP-Z and a PO-32 and a PO-33 and ...

Or ... ;-)

If you had a £1200 pro audio shop voucher* that you had to spend in one go on new stuff only (and you wouldn’t get any cash back) what would you buy?

I’m sure quite a few would buy an OP-1 :-)

• @stemshade said:
    I’m hoping one of the future opz modules will have sampling. In the meantime importing sounds is super easy and of course it’s a perfect companion for the ipad, with every sound you could want. The op1 is fun (i’ve had and enjoyed and sold three) but i prefer the opz a million times more.

The OP-Z with sampling would be like a pocket Octatrack, which would be quite a thing.

How are you importing sounds? They need to be perfectly prepared, no?

• @klownshed said:
    You could buy an OP-Z, and an iPad for less than the price of an OP-1. You’d still have change for a nice controller keyboard too.

Or you could buy four Novation circuits.

Or 4 Behringer model Ds.

Or a digitakt and an OP-Z

Or two OP-Zs

Or an OP-Z and a PO-32 and a PO-33 and ...

Or ... ;-)

If you had a £1200 pro audio shop voucher* that you had to spend in one go on new stuff only (and you wouldn’t get any cash back) what would you buy?

I’m sure quite a few would buy an OP-1 :-)

I will buy a Pioneer DJS1000 but any Force/MpcLive will call me nuts... :sweat_smile:

• @mistercharlie said:

@stemshade said:
    I’m hoping one of the future opz modules will have sampling. In the meantime importing sounds is super easy and of course it’s a perfect companion for the ipad, with every sound you could want. The op1 is fun (i’ve had and enjoyed and sold three) but i prefer the opz a million times more.

The OP-Z with sampling would be like a pocket Octatrack, which would be quite a thing.

There’s a free program called the op-1 drum utility that does the heavy lifting. You just drag and drop samples on it and presto. There’s also a ton of available op-1 drum and synth samples, same format

• I could overlook the OP-1’s very casio toy sounding synth and that its keyboard sampler can only store 6 seconds and the drum sampler just 12 seconds but for that much money, I would expect to have more than just one sequencer limited to 6 minutes/4 tracks, or at least the ability to have multiple projects. Or that since it has a screen, that you’d at least be able to have named synth parameters so you know what exactly you’re tweaking, instead of having monkeys playing your beat or being able to interact with a multicolored cow.

• OpZ Keybed is dinky like playing Keyes on tic tacs. One cannot run video out from an iOS device for unity output but yet still use that iOS device for the screen of the opz.

The keyboard on the op-1 is awesomely brilliant. Why they not do that on the opz?

Op1 Is a monosynth looping sampler, $1400 is a bit much, they must hear them berringer hellhounds on their trail...

• @stemshade said:

@mistercharlie said:

@stemshade said:

There’s a free program called the op-1 drum utility that does the heavy lifting. You just drag and drop samples on it and presto. There’s also a ton of available op-1 drum and synth samples, same format

Brilliant, thanks!

• The op-1 started out at the same price as the op-z. They’ve upped the price two times since its release. I’ve never tried the op-1, would love to though, just to see what it’s all about. I wouldn’t personally blindly buy one at the current price point. Although I really like their Pocket Operators (getting the tonic on Monday, it’s only 799 SEK at the moment so..), I’m firmly rooted on the west coast. The Swedish west coast, where Elektron resides. Personally I’d buy a Digitakt and a Digitone for that money, I love the Elektron workflow and, those two boxes makes for a powerful setup.

Comparing hardware to software is completely irrelevant, it’s all about workflow. And about having fun!:-)

• edited February 2019

As an instrument the op-1 will go down in history.. not for a unique sound like other instruments, but for it’s new approach to design (design as engineering). In many ways it’s the ios of hardware synths. I go out to a lot of gigs in london, and and op1 vs an ipad is used 10 times more.. go figure. (personally i don’t dig it, yeah the sampler, endless seq. and tape rock, And using it as a portable, gig sturdy non-bass line synth is very practical. But not for me)

• @ChrisG you’ll like it (the Tonic) - I have a KO (PO33) and I really like it a lot. I haven’t figured out how to integrate it into my workflow yet, but it’s a lot of fun.

• edited February 2019

so how do you import samples into the opz, and how many gigs can you import....

just picked up an Model Samples today and am surprised at how good it feels, even as someone who already has a digitakt. There is overlap but there is enough difference to keep both, the workflow on the model S is ridiculously nice... no sampling and having to use a comp to get them imported is the only real minus Imo, this thing feels like putting ones self in a very tiny box that is way bigger on the inside than the outside, kind of like the Tardis

• edited February 2019

@icsleepers said:
    @ChrisG you’ll like it (the Tonic) - I have a KO (PO33) and I really like it a lot. I haven’t figured out how to integrate it into my workflow yet, but it’s a lot of fun.

I’ve never really used any of my POs in a track or anything else. Every time I pick one of them up, I just end up messing around with it for far too long anyway. Sometimes though a lil mini track might actually emerge from one of those things. If I have fun with a thing, that’s really all that matters. I should probably start sampling the POs more often though and make use of that, I make really weird shit on those things 😂

@kobamoto Same here, got it the other week! I’ve moved the Digitakt aside for now, using the M:S with the Digitone. Fun little box

• @ChrisG said:

@icsleepers said:
    @ChrisG you’ll like it (the Tonic) - I have a KO (PO33) and I really like it a lot. I haven’t figured out how to integrate it into my workflow yet, but it’s a lot of fun.

I’ve never really used any of my POs in a track or anything else. Every time I pick one of them up, I just end up messing around with it for far too long anyway. Sometimes though a lil mini track might actually emerge from one of those things. If I have fun with a thing, that’s really all that matters. I should probably start sampling the POs more often though and make use of that, I make really weird shit on those things 😂

@kobamoto Same here, got it the other week! I’ve moved the Digitakt aside for now, using the M:S with the Digitone. Fun little box

I do wish that it had the sample locks and the side chain, the sample chains are ok but not the same thing as sample lock switching on the fly etc.. but this is definitely a keeper, Digitakt is gonna be staying home now while the MS hits the streets

• For 1200.00 id buy a vsynth used

• @ChrisG said:
    The op-1 started out at the same price as the op-z. They’ve upped the price two times since its release. I’ve never tried the op-1, would love to though, just to see what it’s all about. I wouldn’t personally blindly buy one at the current price point. Although I really like their Pocket Operators (getting the tonic on Monday, it’s only 799 SEK at the moment so..), I’m firmly rooted on the west coast. The Swedish west coast, where Elektron resides. Personally I’d buy a Digitakt and a Digitone for that money, I love the Elektron workflow and, those two boxes makes for a powerful setup.

Comparing hardware to software is completely irrelevant, it’s all about workflow. And about having fun!:-)

The OP-1 is a proper instrument, so it’s all about muscle memory. If you put the time in, you’ll get good results (watch the Cuckoo and other guys on YouTube). The workflow will then become second nature.

However, in the hands of a poor old man like myself, who picked it up once a week for half an hour’s fumbling, it produced less impressive results. A bit like when I watched Maschine vids. My own beatmaking was laughable in comparison.

There is the fun element even when fumbling though, and it’s a nice object in its own right.

It’s value is down to how much you use it, and it’s place in your workflow. If you use it daily, take it to gigs, use it on albums then it’s worth £1200. If it’s an occasional tool, I’d say the original price of £600 is just about palatable.

For people like me though, with iPads and desktop kit, it’s a £300 bit of fun. I could do so much more with £1200.

• @MonzoPro said:

@ChrisG said:
    The op-1 started out at the same price as the op-z. They’ve upped the price two times since its release. I’ve never tried the op-1, would love to though, just to see what it’s all about. I wouldn’t personally blindly buy one at the current price point. Although I really like their Pocket Operators (getting the tonic on Monday, it’s only 799 SEK at the moment so..), I’m firmly rooted on the west coast. The Swedish west coast, where Elektron resides. Personally I’d buy a Digitakt and a Digitone for that money, I love the Elektron workflow and, those two boxes makes for a powerful setup.

The OP-1 is a proper instrument, so it’s all about muscle memory. If you put the time in, you’ll get good results (watch the Cuckoo and other guys on YouTube). The workflow will then become second nature.

However, in the hands of a poor old man like myself, who picked it up once a week for half an hour’s fumbling, it produced less impressive results. A bit like when I watched Maschine vids. My own beatmaking was laughable in comparison.

There is the fun element even when fumbling though, and it’s a nice object in its own right.

It’s value is down to how much you use it, and it’s place in your workflow. If you use it daily, take it to gigs, use it on albums then it’s worth £1200. If it’s an occasional tool, I’d say the original price of £600 is just about palatable.

For people like me though, with iPads and desktop kit, it’s a £300 bit of fun. I could do so much more with £1200.

Funny how you almost have hardware currency codified down into chunks of 300, which actually kind of makes sense....agree on the muscle memory....enjoyed fiddling with the Maschine thingie, but have been distracted by life these past few weeks and will have to start again from scratch I fear. Almost need to go to a 'nothing else for a fortnight' camp, but that's so hard to organize hereabouts.....

• edited February 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@ChrisG said:

Funny how you almost have hardware currency codified down into chunks of 300, which actually kind of makes sense....agree on the muscle memory....enjoyed fiddling with the Maschine thingie, but have been distracted by life these past few weeks and will have to start again from scratch I fear. Almost need to go to a 'nothing else for a fortnight' camp, but that's so hard to organize hereabouts.....

It’s a good workflow, so you should be up and running again pretty quickly.

Have you seen their new M32 keyboard? Only £90, and has all the browsing, scale, arp features etc. as their big Kontrol jobbies

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@ChrisG said:

Have you seen their new M32 keyboard? Only £90, and has all the browsing, scale, arp features etc. as their big Kontrol jobbies

I have not. I'm game. More specific or useful features than your average bigger and smaller keyboards, of which I have many?

I suppose what I'm asking is: Will the keyboard help in any way as regards Maschining easier? :)

• edited February 2019

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@ChrisG said:

I have not. I'm game. More specific or useful features than your average bigger and smaller keyboards, of which I have many?

I suppose what I'm asking is: Will the keyboard help in any way as regards Maschining easier? :)

The more expensive ones have the browser screen the Mk3 has, the M32 has the browser knobs, but you use the computer screen to see what you’re browsing.

It automatically maps the knobs to all your Komplete kit, which is cool.

I guess it’s a simplified, keyboard version of the Mk3, and very portable.

I’ve just bough a cheap second hand S49 mk1, which does the same. Very nice to use. Word of warning though - I updated Komplete Kontrol on my Win 7 PC, and it borked it. It’s taken me four stressful hours of repairs and system restores to get it working again. Thought it was toast, so if you have Windows 7 careful with the update.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@ChrisG said:

The more expensive ones have the browser screen the Mk3 has, the M32 has the browser knobs, but you use the computer screen to see what you’re browsing.

I’ve just bough a cheap second hand S49 mk1, which does the same. Very nice to use. Word of warning though - I updated Komplete Kontrol on my Win 7 PC, and it borked it. It’s taken me four stressful hours of repairs and system restores to get it working again. Thought it was toast, so if you have Windows 7 careful with the update.

Good info. Will def. look at the M32. As regards the borking and otherwise, I am/was still struggling to get it seeing all the goodies, but I just need to beat on it with a rock (as ever...)

• edited February 2019

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@ChrisG said:

Good info. Will def. look at the M32. As regards the borking and otherwise, I am/was still struggling to get it seeing all the goodies, but I just need to beat on it with a rock (as ever...)

The Mk3 works fine on my Mac - sees all the software etc. so I’ll test the keyboard on that tomorrow.

Seems the issue is with Kontrol on my win 7 PC. It installed a ‘virtual MIDI port’, and that was it - crash, and wouldn’t reboot. Eventually I repaired the startup, then could run several system restores, which took it back to before I did the Kontrol update, and it finally booted. Before that the keyboard was working partly, just not doing the sounds preview. Asked me to update...and bang!

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@ChrisG said:

The Mk3 works fine on my Mac - sees all the software etc. so I’ll test the keyboard on that tomorrow.

Seems the issue is with Kontrol on my win 7 PC. It installed a ‘virtual MIDI port’, and that was it - crash, and wouldn’t reboot. Eventually I repaired the startup, then could run several system restores, which took it back to before I did the Kontrol update, and it finally booted. Before that the keyboard was working partly, just not doing the sounds preview. Asked me to update...and bang!

Hate that rubbish. Not just the uncertainty (until it's fixed) but simply the time it takes....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@ChrisG said:

Hate that rubbish. Not just the uncertainty (until it's fixed) but simply the time it takes....

Scared the living trousers off me as it’s my work PC. Shouldn’t be using it for music stuff really. Lesson learned.