Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OP-1 Is Back! (And WAY More Expensive!)

Comments

• I am here for this pain. Comparing it to ableton, or the iPad misses the point. They’re cashing in, and there are plenty of better things out there- every engine sequencer and even the tape can be done better elsewhere, but the op-1 (unlike even the pocket operators) is an instrument. It’s greatee than the sum of its parts and fun to play. The only thing I would compare it to would be the synthstrom deluge, which I’m enjoying the hell out of, but if the value you’re looking for is whether you can staple together better synths in aum, this thing isn’t for you. It’s also monotimbral which is its worst sin

• @reasOne said:

@BroCoast said:

@reasOne said:

@DrippyFaucet said:
    I’ve always wanted one. But i could get ableton suite and a push 2 for that so....

Yea! Or, more iPad's haha that can do everything the op2? Can do ..and more

While iPads can do more, I'd say I've struggled to make anything as good as what I did on the OP-1 or heard anything done with an iPad that can compare to some of the best OP-1 tracks.

Say whaaaaa??
    I've heard so many great tracks made on iOS, I'm not going to compare what has better tracks cuz that's all dependant on the listener, but ya man most things I hear from the op1 are all pretty same sounding especially on the lofi hh genre
    But I've created more complete tracks on iOS in the last year that I have with all the years of other gear and daw stuff combined

Of course you can create much more complete tracks on iOS, use better sounds and potentially have a better end product.

But there is a lot about the OP-1 that is just straight up faster/better and will produce more musical results. A lot of it's limitations like no velocity are what make it an enjoyable workflow and make it much easier to have natural groove in a track. Even with pad controllers, I struggle to get such "organic" sounding tracks on iOS.

I could play drums on an OP-1 with a band and keep time/groove. I couldn't do that on iOS unless I had a good pad controller and a buffer setting of 64. Not many apps will even work at that setting without crackles even on the latest ipads.

• @khidr9 said:
    I am here for this pain. Comparing it to ableton, or the iPad misses the point. They’re cashing in, and there are plenty of better things out there- every engine sequencer and even the tape can be done better elsewhere, but the op-1 (unlike even the pocket operators) is an instrument. It’s greatee than the sum of its parts and fun to play. The only thing I would compare it to would be the synthstrom deluge, which I’m enjoying the hell out of, but if the value you’re looking for is whether you can staple together better synths in aum, this thing isn’t for you. It’s also monotimbral which is its worst sin

Definitely... and I still want one! But it definitely feels a little shady. Gone for a year. Demand skyrockets. They release a statement and say that no one should spend much on one then they blow up prices 400$ passed the used full price and higher that they were going for. It’s awesome and so slick to mess around with but yeeessh, people will still buy them at this price and prove them right. Super bummer.

• I was hoping the return of production would see them back at under 1000. Trying to mentally remove my dreams of owning one lol

• @rs2000 said:
    Time for an OP-1 iOS app.

That used to be called SamplR for many people 😂

I (apparently stupidly) sold my OP-1 for $750 a few years ago. Why? For an iPad Pro of course!

That being said, they are different creatures. The OP-1 is so much nicer in person than people think that have only seen pics and videos. It’s musical and often inspiring and not a toy. It’s strength is that it’s limitations block you from always looking for greener grass (apps, more apps) so you just get skilled and focused with it instead.

Buuuut I was lured away by the nearly infinite possibilities of the iOS platform. And I couldn’t afford both at the time. I don’t regret it really, it was the right choice at that time. I have not been disappointed as the iOS music world only got better and better.

I just think the OP-1 gets a bad rap. Try one in person with an open mind and I think 75% of the naysayers would change their mind. But it’s no iPad and it’s world of amazing apps. And that does seem to be a really surprisingly shitty move by TE. My 2 cents!

• @marmakin said:

@rs2000 said:
    Time for an OP-1 iOS app.

That used to be called SamplR for many people 😂

I (apparently stupidly) sold my OP-1 for $750 a few years ago. Why? For an iPad Pro of course!

That being said, they are different creatures. The OP-1 is so much nicer in person than people think that have only seen pics and videos. It’s musical and often inspiring and not a toy. It’s strength is that it’s limitations block you from always looking for greener grass (apps, more apps) so you just get skilled and focused with it instead.

Buuuut I was lured away by the nearly infinite possibilities of the iOS platform. And I couldn’t afford both at the time. I don’t regret it really, it was the right choice at that time. I have not been disappointed as the iOS music world only got better and better.

I just think the OP-1 gets a bad rap. Try one in person with an open mind and I think 75% of the naysayers would change their mind. But it’s no iPad and it’s world of amazing apps. And that does seem to be a really surprisingly shitty move by TE. My 2 cents!

Good overview. As for them trying to find out what the market will bear, this is a fundament of supply and demand of course, but sometimes forgets that those left out of the market, those that literally cannot bear the price, will likely resent you through to this side of hatred.

• I was an early adopter of iOS music, and sat tight through all the growing pains of zero inter-app communication, then Abus, etc. I’ve rarely had the tolerance to compete many tracks. I’m sure it’s very nice on a new iPad Pro, with AU’s and Inter-App and AUM, and whatnot. The simple fact is I produce a metric ton more music on the OP-1 (and MPC Live). Of course, over the years, I’ve moved toward completely sample-based production, and the OP-1 is a beautiful sampler. I’d have paid $800 for it if there were no synths at all. The workflow is sublime, and you move around its constraints with fast tactics.

Please peep some.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/ringofthenibblefunk/?hl=en

• @Icepulse said:
    I was an early adopter of iOS music, and sat tight through all the growing pains of zero inter-app communication, then Abus, etc. I’ve rarely had the tolerance to compete many tracks. I’m sure it’s very nice on a new iPad Pro, with AU’s and Inter-App and AUM, and whatnot. The simple fact is I produce a metric ton more music on the OP-1 (and MPC Live). Of course, over the years, I’ve moved toward completely sample-based production, and the OP-1 is a beautiful sampler. I’d have paid $800 for it if there were no synths at all. The workflow is sublime, and you move around its constraints with fast tactics.

Please peep some.

I love your stuff! Vibe for days.

• @BroCoast said:

@Icepulse said:
    I was an early adopter of iOS music, and sat tight through all the growing pains of zero inter-app communication, then Abus, etc. I’ve rarely had the tolerance to compete many tracks. I’m sure it’s very nice on a new iPad Pro, with AU’s and Inter-App and AUM, and whatnot. The simple fact is I produce a metric ton more music on the OP-1 (and MPC Live). Of course, over the years, I’ve moved toward completely sample-based production, and the OP-1 is a beautiful sampler. I’d have paid $800 for it if there were no synths at all. The workflow is sublime, and you move around its constraints with fast tactics.

Please peep some.

I love your stuff! Vibe for days.

Thanks! 👑

• Just realized it’s now the same price as the Octatrack mk2. I need one of those more than I do another OP(I’ve owned and miss both the Op and the OT)

• Good for them, sell them at what people are willing to pay. No reason for them to allow other people to profit off their work. This will help them in the long run, and allow them to continue what they’re doing.

• @Icepulse said:

@oldschoolwillie said:
    Hmm 1400 dollars for an OP-1 or AKAI Force? Force wins.....LOL!

Drop em both down a flight of steps, and only the OP-1 will ever turn on again, tho. 🤣

But you still cannot stand on either one of those, unlike the monome.😉

• edited February 2019

The price sounds ridiculous.

• edited February 2019

I’ve lost a lot of respect for TE over this pricing decision because of their earlier ‘don’t pay these crazy prices’ post for second hand OP1s. Had they not made that, then ho-hum at the (still ridiculous) price increase, but with that post I fail to see how anyone can regard this decision as anything other than horribly cynical. I was thinking about buying an OP-Z soon, but I can’t in good conscience support a company that does this kind of thing.

• OP-1 impressed me more than I expected, it's fun to use and is fun/quirky enough to feel genuinely unique and well designed. I actually liked the tape aspect of it, but I'm one of those who tends to record even VST or iOS synths as audio straight away. But even at the previous price it was just at that threshold I'd consider worth it enough given some of the downsides (the lack of velocity was actually a major turnoff for me personally).

The new price is just crazy for me, and I don't care even care how it compares to things like the Force. A small bump I could see given it was just the display that needed sourcing. But this seems rather excessive if thats the only thing they needed to source new.

• @MonzoPro said:
    They are nice things, but I’d only realistically value them at around £300 - 400.

I’m surprised Korg or someone hasn’t come out with something similar, at a quarter of the price.

There’s a Japanese clone of sorts now which looks to be around $500: https://www.sonicware.jp/home-1

Absolutely no interest in any of the above though. Totally satisfied with my iPad and NanoKey Studio

• I’m not sure I quite ‘get’ the OP-1.

I like the quirky Scandy design, the playful toylike nature of it and it seems to have some hardcore devotees.

It seems you can’t be a self confessed audio youtube ‘creator’ and ‘influencer’ unless you have an OP-1.

But whenever I’ve watched a video with somebody using one, the results just leave me cold. I’m sure they’re a lot of fun and can probably be very creative and in the right hands can sound good but I’ve never really thought “I need one of those!”... and then you get to the price.

I have a PO-32 and it’s a lot of fun. It’s at the kind of price where it’s worth having just as a toy. And a PO-32 costs less than the micro tonic plugin which gives it its sound. So it’s not that I don’t get the TE ‘thing’.

I don’t mind a company putting resources into the design of a product. Quite the opposite. I like things that are thought through. I like the little attention to details some companies put into their products; the nice feel to the switches, the premium materials, etc. I understand why a Squire costs less than a Fender even though it can sound almost exactly the same.

I should be desperate to own an OP-1 but regardless of the price, I don’t actually want one. And that’s the crux. It should really be pushing all my buttons and scream ‘Buy me!’

But it doesn’t. Perhaps I’ve been put off by all the YT creator types making the same kind of boring noises with it and have missed what it can actually do. I hope so.

And if you ‘get it’, have one and love it, that makes me happy. I like the fact that these kinds of things exist. And we can’t all like the same things now. That would make life very dull.

• edited February 2019

Things I loved: build quality, immediacy of shaping sounds, quick and easy sampling, the arp’s, built-in fx....and just the thing as a portable object. I could stick it in a bag and take it on holiday.

What I didn’t love: clicky keyboard, overall sound quality, import/export workflow, recorder. And it did tend to sound a bit samey after a while.

For £410 you can get a 128gb 2018 iPad, and you can do so much more on it than an OP1. Particularly if you’ve got £800 left over to spend on apps.

I do miss the OP1 a bit, but what you can get for the same money makes it a no-deal for me, even at the old price.

• @knobbage said:

@MonzoPro said:
    They are nice things, but I’d only realistically value them at around £300 - 400.

I’m surprised Korg or someone hasn’t come out with something similar, at a quarter of the price.

There’s a Japanese clone of sorts now which looks to be around $500: https://www.sonicware.jp/home-1

Absolutely no interest in any of the above though. Totally satisfied with my iPad and NanoKey Studio

Ha! Yeah that does look familiar :)

There’s definitely a market for affordable OP-1 type devices, but they’ve got to have that quality feel, otherwise there’s a danger they look like expensive toys.

• Out here in Nor Cal the OP1 is $1000+ regularly on CL, although after that comeback announcement the price dipped to $800 a few times. I was going to post a typical listing, but then I came across this...

• It’s definitely not worth the new price, I thought the old price was asking too much as it was.

• Fashion gone crazy again !

• edited February 2019

Someone paying top price for an OP-1 is no different to someone paying a lot of money for a certain model of guitar or drum set etc, they are instruments and certain designs are more sought after than others.
    It’s isnt really the same to compare one to an iPad which is a computer which can be used to make music but isn’t dedicated to the purpose, there are too many differences between the devices.

Personally I own one and I’m pleased I bought it the other year for £600, would I sell it for double that if I could ? Nope, as to me it’s a great little workstation.

• Imo stating what is better or not makes no sense, people have different work flows (even in the ios only microcosm). Some people love it some don’t. I don’t fault te for raising the price. They put out a notice saying no one should spend 8 grand, but if demand shows that a used one is 1100-1200 then they SHOULD raise their price to a little more than that. especially if the display they use is hard to come by etc. The market will dictate if they lower their price or if they sit on it and sell less units but at a price that makes sense to find and purchase these displays. Also maybe it funds future production, and they ARE innovative.

My previous point though.... the opz does so much more. Just doesn’t have the radio (don’t need it) and the sampling (would like it but i usually prepare samples beforehand). And no display, but we have ios devices. The keys are playable and you can of course connect external keys.

• @CRAKROX said:
    Someone paying top price for an OP-1 is no different to someone paying a lot of money for a certain model of guitar or drum set etc, they are instruments and certain designs are more sought after than others.
    It’s isnt really the same to compare one to an iPad which is a computer which can be used to make music but isn’t dedicated to the purpose, there are too many differences between the devices.

Personally I own one and I’m pleased I bought it the other year for £600, would I sell it for double that if I could ? Nope, as to me it’s a great little workstation.

Definitely, I agree. It’s all down to workflow and the type of music you want to make. Didn’t fit what I do, but I can see why others love it.

It’s a quality bit of kit.

• My things is I prefer all the music I listen to to sound good. I can still recognize talent or a great song (based on my personal preferences) if it was recorded crappily or with crappy sounding gear. But that's not important overall, because there's so much great music out there, I'm gonna listen to the stuff that sounds better, with a richer palette, and more tasteful production, song quality being equal.

It's one thing to be skilled with a piece of hardware and to accomplish something only using it; there is always room for admiration for someone with mastery of any instrument or someone working within narrow limitations. It's another thing to capture a listening audience and get repeat listens when you're handicapped.

But I still view recorded music (live music is something entirely different) as an entertainment product that I pay for, so there is always something better-sounding available than what the likes of an OP-1 can do. And I say all this babble because $1400 is enough to buy things that can capture an audience much more easily.

I probably should've just left off after the first sentence.

• @knobbage said:

@MonzoPro said:

I wanted the nanokey studio + ipad to be a replacement for my op-1GAS, but it felt like a piece of junk. Cheap plastic feel all around. Wish the build quality was better, it could have been a totally cool piece to control ios stuff.

• edited February 2019

Smart move from business pov. The cult is strong enough apparently.
    I could never justify one even at second hand price (£500-600), but I also couldn't see its role in my setup.
    Good luck to them!

• edited February 2019

I'm still intrigued about this little wonder since by friends lust on them but I don't get where the mojo is (aside low latency which I can understand it's a must for certain tasks)

So could users explain basic workflows (or complex if you want) involving it to teach us about it? I have the feeling this is like mpc vs maschine users discussion but I also feel something scapes from my POV and I love to learn. Anyone please? :blush:

PS: this is not a trolling post or sarcasm neither. I don't want anyone get confused, I'm asking sincerely. Thanks in advance :heart:

PS2: I have re-read the whole topic to search these little gems some of you drop and I still get confused but also keep feeling there is something I don't get :sweat_smile:

• I’d like to know too. I’ve used an OP-Z and found it to be excellent. If it had a sampler built in, then it’d be totally killer. Is the OP-1 something like that?