Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

3 issues with Garageband IOS midi editing

Almost finished with my first big Garageband endeavor- well big for me anyway. Much of it is keyboard based, included that classical grand, and hammond instruments. I've come across a couple of stumbling blocks which I hope to get some help with.

1. I'm having trouble regulating the piano sustain function. I'm getting a lot of sustain in some sections where I haven't used the sustain pedal at all. In midi edit mode, I looked at the line for sustain along the bottom of the track, but it did not indicate that sustain was applied (i.e., there was no gray line along the bottom). Next I closed midi edit window and went back to the grand piano instrument, turned the Sustain slider on and back off and that stopped the sustain on playback. Why should this make any difference when I didn't have the sustain slider-switch on in the first place?

2. In the midi edit window for a Soul Organ track, I clicked and dragged the line where I wanted the rotary speaker to switch to fast; that made no difference- leslie speed stayed at slow- and yes, I did have the pencil (add/delete notes) turned on (red).

3. In midi edit mode, if I select multiple points, and apply a change in velocity to all selected points, sometimes it doesn't work (loudness doesn't change).

How is sustain and leslie rate information stored? It's not part of the midi track for the instrument, is it? I thought midi only stored velocity and duration of the key press.

Any tips on editing these features would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• I guess my issues may be a little obscure...would still appreciate some help if anyone is able...

• The sustain problem has always baffled me in GarageBand. Hope someone lets us know what’s going on!

• Good to know it's not just me....

• edited February 2019

Well, maybe it was just a matter of understanding what those gray lines mean. It seems that they indicate points where the "state" of sustain or rotation is switched on, and the duration of the effect is the length of the gray line. I did have some trouble creating a gray line. In the selected section, it appears that it has to be created at the beginning of the section and can be dragged to the point where you want it to start taking effect. Too bad I couldn't find this explained anywhere in documentation. Or maybe I'm just dense....

• edited July 2020

Sustain also drives me crazy in Garageband on iOS, when after editing notes the sustain stops working, although the gray line is still visible as if the sustain was still active, but it is not.

Is any solution to be able edit notes and sustain still work?

There is one difference in my case: When I created sustain from ipad screen, I can edit notes and sustain still work, but when I create sustain by foot pedal, then after edit notes sustain stop work, I do not know what is the diference, bacuse the result looks the same in Garageband, I mean gray line at the bottom. I tried to edit that line, but it didn't help to sustain start work again when it was created by foot pedal.

My workaround for this problem is:

• create new empty track with the same instrument which I have problem with sustain
    • delete from original track all the sustain parts of gray line
    • copy all notes from original track
    • paste all notes to the new track
    • add sustain parts from scratch and set it lenghts using screen of ipad or iphone

Maybe it will help someone of you. Kind regards.