Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to connect the ipad to eurorack

13»

Comments

• @ocelot said:
    Looks like the Westlicht uses Type A 3.5mm TRS MIDI, like Akai, Korg, and Make Noise.

Which 3.5mm TRS MIDI to DIN MIDI adapter are you using? The cheapo ones with 'Audio' in their name or seller's description usually won't work. Try to find the Make Noise one, or pay more for the Akai or Korg ones.

Unfortunately it's quite a good one. It came with the Beatstep Pro. Otherwise I might be excited. No, I don't still have the BSP, I just forgot to send it when I sold it.

• Hey @ashh, the BSP uses Type B. You can tear it apart, and swap the tip and ring, or tear apart a headphone extender cable, and swap the tip and ring.

• 3.5mm TRS MIDI Type A:
    Tip: Sink
    Ring: Source
    Sleeve: Shield

3.5mm TRS MIDI Type B:
    Tip: Source
    Ring: Sink
    Sleeve: Shield

• Yeah, you'll need a TRS A cable. BSP one won't work.

Retrokitdev makes a smart cable kit that can switch between A and B, but TRS A cables are pretty cheap.

• edited June 2021

I have quite a lot of them. Is the type A the one that's more commonly used?

Really appreciate the help, @auxmux, @ocelot @ronnieb. You are all awesome.

eta: lol, just chose another one "I'll use this Novation one, they're bound to be using the standard."

Sigh.

• @ashh said:

eta: lol, just chose another one "I'll use this Novation one, they're bound to be using the standard."

Sigh.

The various links and samples already posted give the makers using each type. No need for guessing.

• edited June 2021

@uncledave said:

@ashh said:

Sigh.

The various links and samples already posted give the makers using each type. No need for guessing.

Thanks Uncle Dave. Mum says hi.

eta: well, I have a signal coming from the WP, going into the Doepfer's CV and Gate inputs, out of the midi port and into whatever synth I like. Hooray! So now that I have sound I can begin to fumble my way along the chain towards a better understanding of the mighty Per Former.

• Amazing conversation here. Not easy to find answers to these questions. My question is a bit off topic, not sure where else to post it as there’s (worryingly) not a lot out there that’s definitive. As far as I can tell, this most closely relates to a Eurorack(ish) question. ALL I want to do is tempo sync the Mother 32/DFAM to AUM via five pin (or any variant of) MIDI. I have an audio interface with MIDI I/O. One would hope this would be a fairly straightforward thing to do. So far it’s proven to be rather elusive.

I’ve sort of forced this to work by introducing an Arturia Beatstep Pro into the mix connected via USB to my iPAD and AUM, but it ultimately only controls the tempo of Mother/DFAM routed through AUM. And it’s a bit wonky to hard set the tempo on the Beatstep to the same BPM as AUM (which at least can be done) and hope for the best. It does work, but it’s certainly awkward and occasionally sounds out of sync in terms of the tempo of AUM.

In the end, the Beatstep Pro seems unnecessary with the exception of the hard tempo control of the Mother. Is it possible to control the Mother/DFAM tempo directly from AUM? That would pretty much solve the entire problem. Once the Mother/DFAM rig is synced to follow the tempo in AUM, for me the possibilities are nearly endless. Any experience you guys coupled share would be awesome. Aloha!

• @elasticlimit Cv.ocd will do this. As well as many midi to cv converters

• Many thanks. I’ll begin searching.

• The trick to all this is deciding who wants to be the clock master -- there can only be one. I finally landed on using an external sequencer -- a Behringer BCR-2000 with hacked ZAQuencer firmware -- to generate a MIDI clock that I send to my Eurorack and my audio interface. Audiobus will sync to MIDI clock, which you can then pass to AUM or other apps. I use AB3 to host Mozaic, which then generates MIDI drum sequences and drives iOS drum apps. On the Eurorack side, I have an Intellijel MIDI I/F that converts the MIDI clock to a Euro clock (which is just a square wave of the correct frequency). Clock divide to taste... Assume you can do the same with a Mother 32.

My BCR-2000 has transport controls and a BPM knob, so I can Start/Stop everything perfectly in sync and adjust clock rate with one knob that affects everything. Don't know if you can have the BSP serve the same function, but I'd start there.

• @elasticlimit said:
    Amazing conversation here. Not easy to find answers to these questions. My question is a bit off topic, not sure where else to post it as there’s (worryingly) not a lot out there that’s definitive. As far as I can tell, this most closely relates to a Eurorack(ish) question. ALL I want to do is tempo sync the Mother 32/DFAM to AUM via five pin (or any variant of) MIDI. I have an audio interface with MIDI I/O. One would hope this would be a fairly straightforward thing to do. So far it’s proven to be rather elusive.

Assuming the M32 is set up to follow midi clock... Make sure you set up MIDI Clock send in AUM. You can find it in a sub-menu within AUM's tempo controls. In that sub-menu, make sure you select your USB MIDI interface.

I’ve sort of forced this to work by introducing an Arturia Beatstep Pro into the mix connected via USB to my iPAD and AUM, but it ultimately only controls the tempo of Mother/DFAM routed through AUM. And it’s a bit wonky to hard set the tempo on the Beatstep to the same BPM as AUM (which at least can be done) and hope for the best. It does work, but it’s certainly awkward and occasionally sounds out of sync in terms of the tempo of AUM.

One nice bonus of using the BSP for this is you can skip MIDI going into the Moogs entirely. Send MIDI clock from AUM to the BSP (same steps as above). Then, use the drum gate outputs to send clock signals to your moogs. With this, you can easily setup poly-meters and generally interesting clockystuff. Can use additional drum gate outputs to trigger envelopes, whatever.

• edited January 2022

I don’t have a Beatstep Pro, but do regularly use my iPad with Intellijel's uMIDI module using the camera connection kit.
    teatv.ltd
    hellodear.in