Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to connect the ipad to eurorack

Comments

• @Filter said:
    Thanks for answering, ocelot. Appreciate it!
    Whenever I try to open iConnectivity iConfig on the iPad, I either get “Communication lost” or the app crashes. I’ve tried both connecting the 2HP directly to the USB Host jack and using a powered USB hub. Also tried connecting the iCA4+ to the computer. Doesn’t crash there and when connecting to the powered USB Hub, I can see my Launch Control and Keystep, but not the 2HP Midi. Also tried the 2HP straight to the USB Host, but nothing.

Have you tried connecting the iConnectaudio4+ and 2hp each to the powered hub and then connecting that hub to the iPad? i.e. not serially running 2hp through the iConnectaudio4+'s USB host port, but in "parallel"? iOS will recognize multiple Class Compliant MIDI devices and you wouldn't be relying on the iConnectaudio4+ working correctly as a host to the 2hp.

• Thanks for helping out ocelot and aplourde!
    I’ve contacted both iConnectivity and 2HP.
    Gonna experiment with different setup variations, while awaiting feedback from them.
    Hopefully I’ll sort it out somehow and if not, I’ll find another solution.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @my-wallet said:
    This is the most expensive thread in AB forum history. Everyone please stop adding to it immediately.

• Has anyone had luck capturing CV loops into Loopy or Blocks? Please do not tell me about it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:

@ocelot said:
    Well damn, the 2HP MIDI is class-compliant too. Does it appear in AUM's list as a MIDI output when connected directly to the iPad? If it doesn't, but still works, then maybe a 'USB billboard device' issue. Hmm, I can't think of any other culprit...

They said they were going to update iConfig, but it's been years, and the new app stinks. You could try emailing them, maybe you'll have better luck than I did.

Maybe your best bet is to try the Muff Wiggler forum (Eurorack Modules section), lots of helpful people there: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/
    And while you're investigating, email 2HP (I believe they're part of Qu-Bit): http://www.twohp.com/contact

Also in the meantime, try a $100 Korg SQ-1, it worked with the iCA4+ last time I checked. In additional to its CV/Gate sequencer, it can function as a very basic 2 channel MIDI>CV/Gate converter, but only when the sequencer is not running.

When using sq1 as midi>cv convertor from iPad does it also receive clock from iPad and spit it out of the sync out?
    Thanks

Good question, but I don't remember. Sorry. Sold $40k of Eurocrack and went with the more-manageable iOS addiction. Just looked through the SQ-1 FAQs and the manual, they're no help, but I think it'll only send analog clock pulses when the internal seq is running or if it's being sync'ed by another analog source. So I don't think it can, but could be wrong.

• This has shot to high on my shopping list, basically going to make everything modular, e.g. all my iPads, my Minilogue. Everything will be modular!

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2019/05/20/befaco-introduces-vcmc-voltage-controlled-midi-controller-sneak-preview/

• Endorphin.es have a module where you can connect the headphone output of an iDevice with a TRRS cable, which gives you audio in/out. I don't have it myself, but it's surely good for effect and oscilloscope apps. I'm using an old Tascam iU2 interface with an iPad2 for these tasks.

Then there's the Shuttle Control module from the same company, this gives you 16 programmable CV outputs. It has a USB socket to connect controllers directly, and a host USB socket to connect to computers and iDevices with CCK. MIDI only, but with every possible option imaginable. And there's a nice Lemur template from Liine to edit the module's CV outputs, so no need to use the online editor.

Then there are numerous docks and interfaces for iDevices.

• I don’t have a Beatstep Pro, but do regularly use my iPad with Intellijel's uMIDI module using the camera connection kit.

You will need audio into the mixer unless you get an audio interface that has both MIDI out and Audio Out.
    shareit app vidmate Vidmate apk

• edited June 2021

I need some help. I want to connect my Eurorack sequencer to my ipad. I want to sequence whatever on my ipad with that sequencer. Is that possible? I'm thinking it's not just a case of reversing the streams (my little joke before anyone takes me seriously)? My sequencer is a Westlicht Per Former, it has midi out via 3.5mm jack, CV and Gate out and USB midi in for a control surface but I can't work out what cables I need to get this working. I have just about everything you can think of, including a MOTU interface but I do not have any audio out capability on the Eurorack.

• @ashh said:
    I need some help. I want to connect my Eurorack sequencer to my ipad. I want to sequence whatever on my ipad with that sequencer. Is that possible? I'm thinking it's not just a case of reversing the streams (my little joke before anyone takes me seriously)? My sequencer is a Westlicht Per Former, it has midi out via 3.5mm jack, CV and Gate out and USB midi in for a control surface but I can't work out what cables I need to get this working. I have just about everything you can think of, including a MOTU interface but I do not have any audio out capability on the Eurorack.

Can’t you sequence stuff on your iPad with the midi out of the performer? What motu interface do you have, I think most have midi io right?

• edited June 2021

@ronnieb Well, I thought I had bought a USB one but it turned out that my Ultralite Mk3 is the firewire only version that sold 3 units rather than the hybrid that sold 10 million. I mean, if you look at it one way then I have a rare bit of kit. That's what I keep telling myself, anyway. So no, it doesn't have usb, unfortunately.

Using the midi out is my preferred way of doing it. Midi out to usb midi hub and that hub is then connected to my ipad but I'm getting nothing and with all the talk of voltages, gates, cv etc I am thoroughly confused. I just need to know "yep, that should be doing A" and then I can troubleshoot it.

@alanc3, sorry to call upon you but do you have any ideas? I actually have purchased both of your apps so if they could be helpful then I'm set.

eta: you'll never guess what just turned up in the post? I saw a charge for £115 a few days ago and thought it was for something else but it must have been for a Doepfer A-192-2 which has a USB A port on it. It must have been my late night desperado solution. Please factor that in when you're helping me as I do still want help. Please and thank you.

• @ashh said:
    @ronnieb Well, I thought I had bought a USB one but it turned out that my Ultralite Mk3 is the firewire only version that sold 3 units rather than the hybrid that sold 10 million. I mean, if you look at it one way then I have a rare bit of kit. That's what I keep telling myself, anyway. So no, it doesn't have usb, unfortunately.

Using the midi out is my preferred way of doing it. Midi out to usb midi hub and that hub is then connected to my ipad but I'm getting nothing and with all the talk of voltages, gates, cv etc I am thoroughly confused. I just need to know "yep, that should be doing A" and then I can troubleshoot it.

@alanc3, sorry to call upon you but do you have any ideas? I actually have purchased both of your apps so if they could be helpful then I'm set.

If you want to use cv & gate to control (most) soft synths, it needs to be converted to midi anyway.
    But regardless, if you wanted to use cv, you need dc coupled inputs (motu defo has dc coupled outs, I think the input are too?). You could then use Drambo or MiRack to drive synths or convert to midi.

CoVariant is amazing but works the opposite way around, it converts midi data into cv

• @ashh said:

The MIDI out from the seq ought to work. How are you connecting it to the MIDI hub? Which MIDI hub is it? You may just have the wrong 3.5 mm MIDI connector, see this thread.

• Yeah, it's worth checking which mini Midi jack the Westlicht uses: A or B, and using the appropriate midi cable to connect into the regular midi port of the Motu. That's the most straightforward route.

Other option is a module like Befaco CV thing to convert CV to midi, but that's unnecessary because Westlicht has a midi out port.

• Thanks for the information @auxmux, @uncledave and @ronnieb. I will check the cables I'm using. I am hopeful that the Doepfer interface will be the solution tbh. I'm thinking that I would connect the USB A with my USB hub or just connect the 5 pin din out from the Doepfer to my USB midi host. Does this sound like it should work?

• @ashh I think you are trying to do cv to midi so I would suggest the Befaco CV Thing. It’s quite expensive at 200+ but has a great reputation. Also you can get it second hand or in kit form if you fancy a (big) challenge.

I’m personally going for the other direction; sequence my modular from ipad. Midi to cv which I think will be solved by the cv.ocd

I do love the non linear modular sequencers but they are a little pricey for me atm.

• edited June 2021

@Richtowns Create a non-linear sequencer in mirack, route midi out from iPad into cv.ocd. :) This is my preferred way as well. Sequencing modular from iPad is so much fun.

Also, can vouch for CV Thing. Sending Maths and Wogglebug into iPad to control AU parameters = mind blown.

• edited June 2021

@ashh said:
    Thanks for the information @auxmux, @uncledave and @ronnieb. I will check the cables I'm using. I am hopeful that the Doepfer interface will be the solution tbh. I'm thinking that I would connect the USB A with my USB hub or just connect the 5 pin din out from the Doepfer to my USB midi host. Does this sound like it should work?

Actually, the Doepfer A-192-2 has a USB B connector (slave), which is good, because you cannot connect USB A (host) to another USB A. So, either of these options should work, USB connection (you'll need a "printer" cable with the A and B connectors), or 5-pin MIDI. However, it seems like overkill when the sequencer already provides a MIDI signal. And it might be a little tricky, depending on how the sequencer CV and gate signals are coordinated, as described in the Doepfer product description.

Edit: Looking at the schematics for the Westlicht Per Former, they show the MIDI data ("sink") signal connected to the tip of the 3.5 mm TRS connector. This makes it a type A. So you could use a type A 3.5 mm to 5-pin MIDI adapter cable. This page has all the details.

Edit 2: You would need to configure the Per Former MIDI output as described in the manual, but I assume you've already tried this.

• A lot of eurorack+iPad folks use expert sleepers interfaces as they are D.C.-coupled and can send/receive CV without midi conversion.

• edited June 2021

@espiegel123 said:
    A lot of eurorack+iPad folks use expert sleepers interfaces as they are D.C.-coupled and can send/receive CV without midi conversion.

Just to avoid confusion, you still need to convert the cv to midi if you want to control soft synths (that aren’t Drambo/micrack/vcf/modular environments). The ES gear doesn’t do any conversion, the befaco cv thing (mentioned above) or vcmc are units that actually do the cv to midi conversion.

I see it a lot (especially in expert sleepers forum) when people are new to modular systems and want to jump in balls deep to the hybrid world, without full comprehension of how it actually works. They can be disappointed with a product because it doesn’t work how they imagined it would but it’s more a case of miscommunication than anything.

• edited June 2021

del, was meant to edit

• It is possible to convert CV to midi using Expert Sleepers as well, but need an intermediary like miRack to convert the CV and quantize it.

• edited June 2021

@espiegel123 said:
    A lot of eurorack+iPad folks use expert sleepers interfaces as they are D.C.-coupled and can send/receive CV without midi conversion.

You will need the MIDI breakout box from Expert Sleepers to get MIDI from/to the iPad/Eurorack otherwise it’s only CV/Gate. To control the Eurorack oscillators/synths with sequencing apps from the iPad you can use CoVariant (which is an app that converts MIDI to CV). It does however need some setting up.

• @Bietfriek said:

@espiegel123 said:

You will need the MIDI breakout box from Expert Sleepers to get MIDI from/to the iPad/Eurorack otherwise it’s only CV/Gate. To control the Eurorack oscillators/synths with sequencing apps from the iPad you can use CoVariant (which is an app that converts MIDI to CV). It does however need some setting up.

If you are using eurorack, why wouldnt you generally prefer working with CV which is higher res and can be used for both low frequency and audio rate signals? Most folks I know using Eurorack seem to mostly use CV.

• Hey @Bennie how did this turn out? There's been a lot of developments and releases on the market since the original post. I love nothing more than a hybrid system.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Bietfriek said:

@espiegel123 said:

If you are using eurorack, why wouldnt you generally prefer working with CV which is higher res and can be used for both low frequency and audio rate signals? Most folks I know using Eurorack seem to mostly use CV.

I’m not saying that MIDI is the best solution, just saying that you need the breakout module IF you want to use it. Personally I use CoVariant or the MPC One for sequencing, the iPad I mostly use for non analog/effects stuff.

• edited June 2021

Still don't have any sound from it. Right now I have a 5 pin din to 3.5mm TRS jack in the midi out of the WP. That's going into a USB midi hub which is plugged into my ipad. That's wired into Agonizer via AUM. The midi is 1 of 8 in the WP and it's set to Note and there are a few notes playing on it. No output from the WP is bothering anything anywhere.

Plugged the midi cable straight into a synth now. Still nothing.

• Looks like the Westlicht uses Type A 3.5mm TRS MIDI, like Akai, Korg, and Make Noise.

Which 3.5mm TRS MIDI to DIN MIDI adapter are you using? The cheapo ones with 'Audio' in their name or seller's description usually won't work. Try to find the Make Noise one, or pay more for the Akai or Korg ones.