ATV aFrame

For me as a percussionist (primarily), this thing is very cool. But sometimes it sounds just like Impaktor!

Instead of spending $1600USD maybe I could just rely on Drambo and a BopPad. What do you think, @giku_beepstreet ? ;)

Comments

  • Heya Mark,

    Sound like youre setting foot on a journey I took a few years ago when it first came out.

    I got sick of trying to mic up a bodran to impactor and getting it to work! 😀

    Personally, I ended up getting a Korg wavedrum to get an expressive electronic hand instrument and I run that through iPad fx, pedals, etc.

    For synth stuff, I ended up focusing on Nord Drums. The nature of the product and the synth engine makes them THE most expressive electronic percussion instrument available in hardware. Hands down. And speaking of hands... One of these days I want to get an Alternate Mode JamKat and play my ND2 with it.

    Even after playing the Aframe at NAMM last year, I kinda came away with the same thing your hinting at. The resonate modeling they use in the Aframe is so distinct that for me it’s too “focused” on the Aframe sound... I guess kind of like in geetar world how a pedal steel is never going to be anything but a pedal steel. Very specific instrument for a very specific sound.

    One route that has some promise and is easy to mess with is to just use a cheap contact mic, run that into iOS via an interface and then run the audio through the physical modeling app Objeq. Then running through more fx you can get pretty far into the Aframe territory pretty cheaply.

    But the Aframe, as an instrument is pretty cool, and I love the amount of care and design that went into it, the story behind its development, etc. I still might get one. Just wish it was sub $1000 to make it easier to justify.

    If you get one, post some stuff you do with it!

  • Oh and by the way, I was a kickstarter backer on bop pad. Got two of them and made them take them back I was so disappointed in it. Really poor position tracking, not smooth tracking rim to center, which is the main thing it should have going for it. Cc tied to position would jump all over... which is a shame as KMI stuff is usually pretty good. I have a Pearl Malletstation that uses kmi stuff and I like it.

    The lack of ANY on device UI on the boppad was pure stupidity as well...

  • @MonkeyDrummer said:
    Heya Mark,

    Sound like youre setting foot on a journey I took a few years ago when it first came out.

    I got sick of trying to mic up a bodran to impactor and getting it to work! 😀

    Personally, I ended up getting a Korg wavedrum to get an expressive electronic hand instrument and I run that through iPad fx, pedals, etc.

    For synth stuff, I ended up focusing on Nord Drums. The nature of the product and the synth engine makes them THE most expressive electronic percussion instrument available in hardware. Hands down. And speaking of hands... One of these days I want to get an Alternate Mode JamKat and play my ND2 with it.

    Even after playing the Aframe at NAMM last year, I kinda came away with the same thing your hinting at. The resonate modeling they use in the Aframe is so distinct that for me it’s too “focused” on the Aframe sound... I guess kind of like in geetar world how a pedal steel is never going to be anything but a pedal steel. Very specific instrument for a very specific sound.

    One route that has some promise and is easy to mess with is to just use a cheap contact mic, run that into iOS via an interface and then run the audio through the physical modeling app Objeq. Then running through more fx you can get pretty far into the Aframe territory pretty cheaply.

    But the Aframe, as an instrument is pretty cool, and I love the amount of care and design that went into it, the story behind its development, etc. I still might get one. Just wish it was sub $1000 to make it easier to justify.

    If you get one, post some stuff you do with it!

    Thanks for the feedback. I've been using a Handsonic10 for many years, and have built a few triggers for using Impaktor. But yeah I'm looking to improve my hand e-drumming thing. An acquaintance has a Wave drum, I should see if I could borrow it.

    The JamKat is intriguing, will do some research. (Same for the Objeq app, which had slipped under my radar).

    I could almost justify the aFrame's cost, as it would be a "business expense". But yeah, if I hunt around enough I could probably get something close to it for a lot less.

  • @MonkeyDrummer said:
    Oh and by the way, I was a kickstarter backer on bop pad. Got two of them and made them take them back I was so disappointed in it. Really poor position tracking, not smooth tracking rim to center, which is the main thing it should have going for it. Cc tied to position would jump all over... which is a shame as KMI stuff is usually pretty good. I have a Pearl Malletstation that uses kmi stuff and I like it.

    The lack of ANY on device UI on the boppad was pure stupidity as well...

    I got mine mainly for its form factor. Most of the gigs I use my iOS set-up for I can get to by bike (w/trailer), so I like when I can find things that are light and small. (Actually, moving to using an iPad or two for these gigs came from the same motivation, as my laptop was getting old and something smaller and lighter to replace it was ideal.)

    The lack of an iOS app for the BopPad is quite annoying, as they'd said in the Kickstarter that one would be coming. Now they just say "tell Apple to allow WebMidi...".

    Thanks again.

  • edited February 12

    Jambe is worth looking at. The video demos have impressed me.

    I should mention that I know the designer who is both skilled and committed to making Jambe and the software that come with it exceptional.

    (EDITED to correct my cat's atrocious spelling.)

  • Shame the bop pad but not surprised. I have a k-board and it feels toyish. So far my wavedrum oriental is pretty cool. I like the fact that different synthesis technique and samples are used so it won't sound. Responds well which is something I'm more interested in. I hate when you tap something very lightly and it doesn't trigger.

    My big wish somebody would come up with a super expressive high quality percussion instrument that is also open source as far as the software goes.

  • @paradiddle said:
    Shame the bop pad but not surprised. I have a k-board and it feels toyish. So far my wavedrum oriental is pretty cool. I like the fact that different synthesis technique and samples are used so it won't sound. Responds well which is something I'm more interested in. I hate when you tap something very lightly and it doesn't trigger.

    My big wish somebody would come up with a super expressive high quality percussion instrument that is also open source as far as the software goes.

    Yup... The WD is awesome, but it's got some pretty serious flaws. Programming it in any depth is a pain in the ass. The lack of ANY connectivity other than audio is pretty silly too. But the big thing that kills it for anything other than a studio instrument is how prone it is to picking up feedback...

    But for what it is, and the ability to get so many tones out of it depending on how you play it, what you hit it with (I'm partial to open hand on left, and a really nice rosewood chopstick in the right... Yea, it's goofy, but it's an awesome way to play it).

    BTW, if you can swing it, I recommend getting a Global Edition. The patch load time is a fraction of the Oriental or any pre-Global. In addition to more sounds and a bit better sound out main output, the faster system performance makes it "feel" better to use.

    Anyhoo... Maybe we need to bribe Korg to make a new version of the WD. It's REALLY due for an update.

  • edited February 11

    @MonkeyDrummer Yeah, totally right about the connectivity. One of the main critics of the unit. For programming it is a pita but after a while, you kind of get used to it. I also noticed it isn't really that loud especially the headphones.

    One of the demonstrators of Korg was saying that it doesn't really pickup sound per se but it just triggers but I'm not totally sure about that.. I've already yelled into the wavedrum and I could hear my voice going through the pa. hahaha Very low but still. I think hitting with different type of stuff is why it sounds a cretain way.

    Yes about the global edition, I might pick one up for the added fonctionalities but also to have a second one which would be awesome.

    It's too bad they don't do any firmware update for this. However somebody already tried hacking it. hahaha https://elephly.net/posts/2014-09-18-wavedrum-firmware-disassembler.html

  • @paradiddle said:
    @MonkeyDrummer Yeah, totally right about the connectivity. One of the main critics of the unit. For programming it is a pita but after a while, you kind of get used to it. I also noticed it isn't really that loud especially the headphones.

    One of the demonstrators of Korg was saying that it doesn't really pickup sound per se but it just triggers but I'm not totally sure about that.. I've already yelled into the wavedrum and I could hear my voice going through the pa. hahaha Very low but still. I think hitting with different type of stuff is why it sounds a cretain way.

    Yes about the global edition, I might pick one up for the added fonctionalities but also to have a second one which would be awesome.

    It's too bad they don't do any firmware update for this. However somebody already tried hacking it. hahaha https://elephly.net/posts/2014-09-18-wavedrum-firmware-disassembler.html

    1) The low headphone issue was something they "fixed" in global. Main outs are still pretty low though.
    2) The person from Korg that told you that is obviously misinformed... Grossly so. The mics that pick up actual sound are a fundamental aspect of the way the stupid thing works! Hit a low drum sound and hold up to an amp, guaranteed feedback. hell their own manual warns against it!
    3) That's a level of hacking I'd not be that interested in. Although, I have debated ripping apart one of those cheap Behringer UA usb interfaces (the little ones that are like the size of an Altoids tin) and sticking it in my WD so it's easier to hook up to my iPad... Less cable-tangle...

  • @MonkeyDrummer Saw that u have a nord drum. Is it the 3p? Sounds like a beefed-up microtonic in a box but pretty expressive. I'm a sucker for e-drums, got a drumit five kit, 3 simmons drums, roland-spd sx, old roland pad-8 (which still triggers like a beast), r8 drum machine, WD oriental, mpc-element (shit), push 2 and a nice yamaha recoridng custom 1988 hahaha GAS for sure

  • @paradiddle said:
    @MonkeyDrummer Saw that u have a nord drum. Is it the 3p? Sounds like a beefed-up microtonic in a box but pretty expressive. I'm a sucker for e-drums, got a drumit five kit, 3 simmons drums, roland-spd sx, old roland pad-8 (which still triggers like a beast), r8 drum machine, WD oriental, mpc-element (shit), push 2 and a nice yamaha recoridng custom 1988 hahaha GAS for sure

    :o You might as well go for broke and buy the rest of 'em out there. I've got a drumkat EZ I'll sell you for next to nothing.

  • @lukesleepwalker hahaha thanks no. Some of the gear I've had for a longtime. Thinking about an ipad pro though. hahaha

  • @paradiddle said:
    @MonkeyDrummer Saw that u have a nord drum. Is it the 3p? Sounds like a beefed-up microtonic in a box but pretty expressive. I'm a sucker for e-drums, got a drumit five kit, 3 simmons drums, roland-spd sx, old roland pad-8 (which still triggers like a beast), r8 drum machine, WD oriental, mpc-element (shit), push 2 and a nice yamaha recoridng custom 1988 hahaha GAS for sure

    I've got the 2 and the 3P. Sounds are pretty indistinguishable. 2 has a few more envelope options, or at least you get the sound a little diff than in the 3P. Other than the pads, the best thing about the 3P is the fact it's got presets for the voices, not just the kits.

    I think Nord's drum synth engine is prob. the pest percussion synth architecture there is. It goes all the way from pure tuned tones to insane, distorted noise. It's better than uTonic because as cool as utonic is, it can't do "cymbal" sounds worth shit in my opinion. Needs some kind of ring mod or something...

    But Nord really needs to come up with a new model that has individual outs... I get around it a bit by panning the top "row" of pads left and the bottom to the right so I can get 2 FX paths going. But then you can't use the onboard 'verb... which is not a huge loss...

    Funny, I have a old Pad8 as well. Just wish it wasn't so much like beating on a countertop! :) I've tried to do some neoprene mods etc. but then you lose triggering sensitivity.

  • @lukesleepwalker said:

    @paradiddle said:
    @MonkeyDrummer Saw that u have a nord drum. Is it the 3p? Sounds like a beefed-up microtonic in a box but pretty expressive. I'm a sucker for e-drums, got a drumit five kit, 3 simmons drums, roland-spd sx, old roland pad-8 (which still triggers like a beast), r8 drum machine, WD oriental, mpc-element (shit), push 2 and a nice yamaha recoridng custom 1988 hahaha GAS for sure

    :o You might as well go for broke and buy the rest of 'em out there. I've got a drumkat EZ I'll sell you for next to nothing.

    Why would you get rid of the DrumKat? Other than the disposable sensors, AlternateMode's stuff is the best triggering I've ever found.

  • @MonkeyDrummer said:

    @lukesleepwalker said:

    @paradiddle said:
    @MonkeyDrummer Saw that u have a nord drum. Is it the 3p? Sounds like a beefed-up microtonic in a box but pretty expressive. I'm a sucker for e-drums, got a drumit five kit, 3 simmons drums, roland-spd sx, old roland pad-8 (which still triggers like a beast), r8 drum machine, WD oriental, mpc-element (shit), push 2 and a nice yamaha recoridng custom 1988 hahaha GAS for sure

    :o You might as well go for broke and buy the rest of 'em out there. I've got a drumkat EZ I'll sell you for next to nothing.

    Why would you get rid of the DrumKat? Other than the disposable sensors, AlternateMode's stuff is the best triggering I've ever found.

    I never use it. Agree that the triggering is good but the thing just sits gathering dust most of the time.

  • edited February 11

    The nord sounds good, I've check some vids out. I like my old pad-8 even though it's pretty simple, it's got like 8 trigger inputs which is really great. Back when I had a pentium 3 I built, I had this nice setup. Full kit with pad-8 triggering drum software at 64 samples. People were really amazed with how good the triggering was and that is quite a few years ago. It doesn't cost much all in all for a nice home made e-drums.

    I'm pretty much looking forward to drambo. Hope it does what impaktor does sound wise and feature wise.

    I bough a tuning clip for guitar a while back and plugged in the IC4+ that sends it to impaktor. In impaktor, you just remove the highpass option and man, the sensitivity is god damn awesome. Almost inaudible taps triggers impaktor.

    @MonkeyDrummer said:

    @paradiddle said:
    @MonkeyDrummer Saw that u have a nord drum. Is it the 3p? Sounds like a beefed-up microtonic in a box but pretty expressive. I'm a sucker for e-drums, got a drumit five kit, 3 simmons drums, roland-spd sx, old roland pad-8 (which still triggers like a beast), r8 drum machine, WD oriental, mpc-element (shit), push 2 and a nice yamaha recoridng custom 1988 hahaha GAS for sure

    I've got the 2 and the 3P. Sounds are pretty indistinguishable. 2 has a few more envelope options, or at least you get the sound a little diff than in the 3P. Other than the pads, the best thing about the 3P is the fact it's got presets for the voices, not just the kits.

    I think Nord's drum synth engine is prob. the pest percussion synth architecture there is. It goes all the way from pure tuned tones to insane, distorted noise. It's better than uTonic because as cool as utonic is, it can't do "cymbal" sounds worth shit in my opinion. Needs some kind of ring mod or something...

    But Nord really needs to come up with a new model that has individual outs... I get around it a bit by panning the top "row" of pads left and the bottom to the right so I can get 2 FX paths going. But then you can't use the onboard 'verb... which is not a huge loss...

    Funny, I have a old Pad8 as well. Just wish it wasn't so much like beating on a countertop! :) I've tried to do some neoprene mods etc. but then you lose triggering sensitivity.

  • @paradiddle said:

    I bough a tuning clip for guitar a while back and plugged in the IC4+ that sends it to impaktor. In impaktor, you just remove the highpass option and man, the sensitivity is god damn awesome. Almost inaudible taps triggers impaktor.

    With Impaktor I've used both an old Yamaha e-drum pad and a homemade one with a piezo in an old tobacco tin. :) I'm amazed at the sensitivity, even just with fingertip tapping, with Impaktor's sensitivity setting only on Medium.

  • @espiegel123 said:
    Jambe is worth looking at. The video demos have impressed me.

    I should mention that I know the designer who is both skilled and committed to making Jambe and the software that come with it exceptional.

    (EDITED to correct my cat's atrocious spelling.)

    Interesting!

    Hard to find them unless one types "jambe instrument". The price for me here in Canada would be just over $1G before duties and taxes, while the aFrame would be 2Gs.

    If they are committed to iOS perhaps you could ask the designer to join us here?

  • @MarkR said:

    @espiegel123 said:
    Jambe is worth looking at. The video demos have impressed me.

    I should mention that I know the designer who is both skilled and committed to making Jambe and the software that come with it exceptional.

    (EDITED to correct my cat's atrocious spelling.)

    Interesting!

    Hard to find them unless one types "jambe instrument". The price for me here in Canada would be just over $1G before duties and taxes, while the aFrame would be 2Gs.

    If they are committed to iOS perhaps you could ask the designer to join us here?

    iOS is what Jambe's software runs on. I think it is the only platform. But the software is not standalone. I suspect that the creator has too much on his plate to participate here as the forum's core user-base is not really Jambe's audience even though I am sure there are plenty of people here that might dig it.

  • I never even tried with a drum pads yet and I got plenty around. Too much damn stuff to do hahaha. I sure will though. The piezo clip I used is basically the same. I'm gonna try it out at one point, I have plenty of iphones lying around to make a small drum kit. :)

    @MarkR said:

    @paradiddle said:

    I bough a tuning clip for guitar a while back and plugged in the IC4+ that sends it to impaktor. In impaktor, you just remove the highpass option and man, the sensitivity is god damn awesome. Almost inaudible taps triggers impaktor.

    With Impaktor I've used both an old Yamaha e-drum pad and a homemade one with a piezo in an old tobacco tin. :) I'm amazed at the sensitivity, even just with fingertip tapping, with Impaktor's sensitivity setting only on Medium.

  • That jambe looks pretty cool but I find it odd to limit it to IOS only. Something similar would be the jamkat I think.

    @espiegel123 said:

    @MarkR said:

    @espiegel123 said:
    Jambe is worth looking at. The video demos have impressed me.

    I should mention that I know the designer who is both skilled and committed to making Jambe and the software that come with it exceptional.

    (EDITED to correct my cat's atrocious spelling.)

    Interesting!

    Hard to find them unless one types "jambe instrument". The price for me here in Canada would be just over $1G before duties and taxes, while the aFrame would be 2Gs.

    If they are committed to iOS perhaps you could ask the designer to join us here?

    iOS is what Jambe's software runs on. I think it is the only platform. But the software is not standalone. I suspect that the creator has too much on his plate to participate here as the forum's core user-base is not really Jambe's audience even though I am sure there are plenty of people here that might dig it.

  • @paradiddle said:
    That jambe looks pretty cool but I find it odd to limit it to IOS only. Something similar would be the jamkat I think.

    I was thinking JamKat with an iPad fitted into the back of it , thus resembling an aFrame. ;)

  • @MarkR I think though u need also a diti interface for that. Looks reallt cool though. Seems highly playable.

  • @paradiddle said:
    @MarkR I think though u need also a diti interface for that. Looks reallt cool though. Seems highly playable.

    Indeed. Better off fitting an iPad (reg. size or Mini) into the back of a jambe. ;)

Sign In or Register to comment.