Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio 2 on sale

Comments

• edited February 2019

@MonzoPro said:

Still fwends?

Bus wanker.

• @ecou said:
    So many post about NS2. What is notable about it?

What does it do that would make me spend that much money and drop Cubasis

The UI and feel of an app is as important if not more so than the features. Great features hamstrung by bad(or just unintuitive to you) UI are eclipsed by an app that feels ‘right’.

For you that may Already be Cubasis.

I wish there was a demo like somebody said already.

Yeah. That would help. The AppStore is far from ideal when it comes to demos.

A lot of apps use the IAP model to unlock the full version but a proper limited time demo model would be great.

I can understand why Apple don’t want to do this though.

You’d end up with people having their phone stuffed full of useless apps with expired trials. There are over a Billion active iOS devices. An awful lot of those Billion would make supporting the chaos of expired trials a nightmare.

It’s not just about pros and enthusiasts. We are a tiny segment of the market. you’d end up with trial versions of all sorts of dumb apps and games.

An awfully large percentage of the population are incredibly dumb and we are constantly having to pay for their stupidity.

• @klownshed said:

Bus wanker.

Not many busses around here, plenty of sheep though. No, that wouldn't work...

• edited February 2019

@klownshed said:
    The UI and feel of an app is as important if not more so than the features.

True on one side, highly subjective on other side .. so this is complicated. I wouldn't use this as objective argument (althout sometimes it is hard when you really like that workflow :)))

It's something which you actually cannot really appreciate until don't you try it, and even then still is not sure it will fit your needs .. And there we are with basic appstore problem - no demo. Because of damn greedy Apple in first place.

I tried list few objective features, facts, where where Nanostudio shines on previous page. Some of theme are not so obvious, often because they are aimed to more experienced producers which are making more complex music, not just some simple loops or sketches for processing them later in desktop DAW and so on .. For people with advanced sound design needs - so obviously not everybody would appreciate such stuff .. but - that features are there for those who are missing them in other hosts ;-)

• At the moment it's pretty hard to compare NS2 and Cubasis, I think the comparison will be easier once NS2 gets audio tracks. At the moment Cubasis is clearly a more complete DAW simply because it can handle audio (albeit pretty poorly IMO).

Once NS2 gets audio tracks then all bets are off. Cubasis is hamstrung by very coarse audio resolution that makes sample-accurate editing impossible, a big flaw IMO (alongside the very low MIDI resolution and the limited grid options).

However Cubasis does have the best MIDI AU implementation of any iOS DAW, and also MPE support to rival GarageBand, so it's still ahead of the competition in those two (pretty important) areas.

I think NS2 could become the best DAW on the platform if it continues to be developed at a reasonable pace, but it's early days right now and it's currently missing too many important features to be a contender at this current time.

• @richardyot said:

I think NS2 could become the best DAW on the platform if it continues to be developed at a reasonable pace, but it's early days right now and it's currently missing too many important features to be a contender at this current time.

To be pendantic, at the moment I think NS2 is just a DW at the moment. It can’t be. DAW until it gets Audio tracks.

• edited February 2019

• edited February 2019

@klownshed said:
    To be pendantic, at the moment I think NS2 is just a DW at the moment. It can’t be. DAW until it gets Audio tracks.

To be totally pedantic, word "DAW" is even not mentioned in NS2 appstore description :-))) Matt was very aware of this lack so he tried best to make it very clear in app description

NanoStudio 2 is a powerful music production environment for recording, synthesis, sampling, arranging, editing and mixing. It’s the successor to the original NanoStudio, an app held in high regard by musicians for many years for its usability, quality and productivity.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nanostudio-2/id1112601015?mt=8

But implies "A" in "DAW" support of audio tracks ? You can use audio in NS.. Reason was without audio tracks for many years - started it to be DAW only after audio tracks were added ?

• What do you call a fish with no eyes?

A fsh.

A DAW with no As is a DW.

That’s as serious as my previous comment got.

• @klownshed said:
    What do you call a fish with no eyes?

A fsh.

A DAW with no As is a DW.

That’s as serious as my previous comment got.

What does a cow with no lips say ?

Ooo.

• Just clap with one hand, then we can start disuss such intelectual shit. :trollface:

• @dendy said:

@klownshed said:

To be totally pedantic, word "DAW" is even not mentioned in NS2 appstore description :-))) Matt was very aware of this lack so he tried best to make it very clear in app description

NanoStudio 2 is a powerful music production environment for recording, synthesis, sampling, arranging, editing and mixing. It’s the successor to the original NanoStudio, an app held in high regard by musicians for many years for its usability, quality and productivity.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nanostudio-2/id1112601015?mt=8

But implies "A" in "DAW" support of audio tracks ? You can use audio in NS.. Reason was without audio tracks for many years - started it to be DAW only after audio tracks were added ?

Ahem - If you really want to be pedantic ;)

This is a complete in-the-box solution to production, enabling you to develop your initial musical ideas right through to a final master with an intuitive workflow carefully designed to get things done

• edited February 2019

@AndyPlankton Ehm, don't understand .. there is something incorrect in those bolded parts ?

• @dendy said:
    @AndyPlankton Ehm, don't understand .. there is something incorrect in those bolded parts ?

Only if you want to be pedantic :trollface:

• ok, got the point..

• edited February 2019

I think the biggest marketing error Blip has made (as if I knew anything about marketing!) was to release NS2 before audio tracks were ready. This took it out of the official "DAW league" and technically makes it a groovebox, a designation that it doesn't really deserve because it's technically so advanced.

So now it is "one of the best grooveboxes on iOS", while if it had been released with audio tracks, it would almost certainly have been "the best DAW on iOS".

• edited February 2019

@dendy said:

@hansjbs said:

@ecou said:
    So many post about NS2. What is notable about it?

What does it do that would make me spend that much money and drop Cubasis?

I wish there was a demo like somebody said already.

If you already have cubasis and enjoy it then NS2 brings nothing new.

I would say "if you are not missing anything in Cubasis then it's no reason to look at NS2" Same as any other DAW :))..

NS2 definitely has some features which are not present in Cubasis, some even not available in any other iOS DAW. Of course, to make things clear from beginning - there are also some features which are not available in NS at the moment, which are present in other DAWs (some are on todo list - audio tracks, time-stretching, sample loops slicing, stuff like that ) ..

So it's always just about your personal needs, what you are missing. If you are missing nothing, then you have really no reason to consider NS2, it would be wasting of your money and time :)

just brief list of some features where NS2 is shining, if you're really interested :-)

• unlimited number of sends
    • unlimited number of insert FX
    • possibility to save whole insert FX chain and load it on other channel (or Cubasis does have such feature ? not sure)
    • unlimited number of group channels (including multiple levels of groups, virtually limited just visually by UI so of course you cannot add infinite number of group levels :))
    • in sampler possibility to modulate / automate sample start (very cool feature, i'm not aware of any other iOS sampler capable of this, but i may be wrong)
    • lot better file management compared to Cubasis (althougt of course if you use Apple Files for managing all your files it doesn't make difference)
    • better build in audio editor (especially for precise cuts, duplicate, super fast fine tuning of sample loop area)
    • sequencer precision ( PPQN - 48 in Cubasis, 4096 Nanostudio)
    • track lanes (multiple "instances" of same track in sequencer), even possibility to have multiple clips(patterns) on same track
    • per pattern instrument automation (so all you instrument automations are moved with your pattern notes - in Cubasis when you move pattern with notes, you need move automation manually)
    • more mixdown/export options (especially 32 bit floating point format, available just in AUM, or exporting just soloed track, top level tracks in group hierarchy)
    • time signature track and tempo track - tempo track also with ramping for continuous tempo changes
    • very CPU efficient but still above average sounding build in FX - this makes for me personally big difference, i'm able to used many many insert FXs like EQs, compressors, filters, choruses, phasers, overdrives even on my old iPad Air 1 very unique feature also not available in any other app (not just daw) on iOS is spectral sample loop mode in Sampler - great for creating ew textures from any sample, it calculates frequency spectrum of any sample - even some loop or part of song and then generates "perfect loop" from that spectrum. Something like this guy is here making manually with some outboard, just NS2 does all this automatically, you cust load any sample, press button, done :)
      It's something like this guy is doing in this video with external reverb, just in NS2 it's build in in sampler and it does all that job automatically - you just load any kind of sample, even "unloopable", then you just hit single button, done:)

then lot of UI details but it's hard to list them all .. i like for exampel this overview screen where i can see all intrument tracks in my project at one place, quickly change volume, solo/mute any of them or jump into tha track - this view is accessible from all app screens, it's very handy:

another UI example - way to "collapse" child track of some group channel, very handy in final mixing phase where i want concentrate just to top level group track like "drums", "leads", "pads", "fxs", etc .. but if i need by single tap i can immediately expand them

Lot of such smart details and workflow boosters - but as i said - this is very much stuff which you may or may not appreciated, it very depends of how much complex music you make (how many tracks, sends, routings, etc ..), what are your habits, what is the way you are doing things .. so this is already very subjective area ..

If you have any particular questions for some area, feel free to ask..

I knew as soon as I made that comment about NS2 you would quote me, reply and throw shots at BM3 while you at it😂😂😂😂. Never fails. You sir are something else. The guy ask about cubasis, you could have easily kept it NS2 vs Cubasis but NO. Dendy always have to make it about BM3 vs NS2. You know that won't stop anyone from using BM3 just so you know and your attitude has turned many that I know off NS2. Just saying.

• edited February 2019

Don't worry @hansjbs - I think the fact Dean chose to do it in BM3 says a lot already.

@dendy - we all know how much you love NS2, but your tendency to talk it up by denigrating BM3 has to stop. please.

• edited February 2019

:D. Never fails with this guy

• edited February 2019

@hansjbs Can you referr where i did "NS2 vs. BM3" stuff in that post ? I wrote just list of some interesting features, which aren't available in Cubasis (or other DAWs), because that was basically question.

I mentioned that video because it in pretty much good way illustrates what "spectral looping" in NS is - and because its very good video and i very much respect that guy who made it...

Indidn't mentioned BM3 not even once, i even compared few listed features to Cubasis. Not to BM3.

The fact that in that example video is used BM3 is completely irrelevant to me, my point was what is that guy doing, not what app is using for samplinh result of that process.

You are the one who is again and again starting personal attacks against me, you are the one who always thinks i need to do any "NS2 vs BM3" competition but actually you're only one who is really trying to trigger such flamewar all the time. So calm down and do not take things too much personally. Whole world is not just about you and BM3. I'm not playing your game.

• edited February 2019

NS2 versus Cubasis isn’t even an issue unless you never use audio tracks.

The workarounds in NS2 for audio using the sampler are not the same as having proper audio tracks.

Do not buy NS2 if you want a DAW.

Buy it if you like the features it has today, not for those it may get in the future. If it does get audio tracks, who’s to say they’re even implemented in a way you like?

Also I have seen mention of audio tracks coming as an IAP? I hope that that’s pure conjecture as there’s no mention of that on blipinteractive.co.uk.

Does NanoStudio 2 have audio tracks?
    Not yet, but this feature will be coming in 2019 along with a number of other developments such as support for iPhone and an efficient convolution reverb.

NanoStudio does allow you to record samples, and you can monitor your song whilst sampling.

If audio comes along with an IAP this thread will seem pleasant and convivial.

• edited February 2019

@SevenSystems said:
    I think the biggest marketing error Blip has made (as if I knew anything about marketing!) was to release NS2 before audio tracks were ready. This took it out of the official "DAW league" and technically makes it a groovebox, a designation that it doesn't really deserve because it's technically so advanced.

Yes but you know what was situation, at the end you was for a while part of beta team :) Matt simply needed to release it not wait another half year. That was simply no option.

Good thing is that that at the end of this year we will just laugh about those discussions.

• edited February 2019

@dendy said:
    @hansjbs Can you referr where i did "NS2 vs. BM3" stuff in that post ? I wrote just list of some interesting features, which aren't available in Cubasis (or other DAWs), because that was basically question.

I mentioned that video because it in pretty much good way illustrates what "spectral looping" in NS is - and because its very good video and i very much respect that guy who made it...

Indidn't mentioned BM3 not even once, i even compared few listed features to Cubasis. Not to BM3.

The fact that in that example video is used BM3 is completely irrelevant to me, my point was what is that guy doing, not what app is using for samplinh result of that process.

You are the one who is again and again starting personal attacks against me, you are the one who always thinks i need to do any "NS2 vs BM3" competition but actually you're only one who is really trying to trigger such flamewar all the time. So calm down and do not take things too much personally. Whole world is not just about you and BM3. I'm not playing your game.

Ok guy. You win, you've done nothing. You didn't do it here, on Facebook, in the discord channel, NS2 forum. Matt. (BLIP) even had to apologize FOR YOU via private e-mail. Cool. Also I'm not the only that says this and this is the first time i actually addressed you about this so don't play victim and act like you and I go back and forth on this. I barely post in here.

BTW. Us BM3 users don't do what you do.
    FB group for NS2 created by BM3 users
    Discord chat created by BM3 users
    Kits in FB group created by BM3 users.
    Don't worry I won't waste time again with you.

Peace✌.

• @dendy said:

@SevenSystems said:

Yes but you know what was situation, at the end you was for a while part of beta team :) Matt simply needed to release it not wait another half year. That was simply no option.

Good thing is that that at the end of this year we will just laugh about those discussions.

(Good call on the edit ;) )

• edited February 2019

@AudioGus :lol: You know. Sometimes is better to write less than more, to don't give reason for flame to people who are just waiting for such reason. I'm still learning that i cannot be too much opened and honest on AB forums ... Working on myself, but still im no too old do not make any mistakes, maybe after next 40 years ...

• this is probably the worst thread here....probably..

• @chocobitz825 said:
    this is probably the worst thread here....probably..

Its up there down there isn’t it?

• edited February 2019

@tk32 @hansjbs can you be specific about what @dendy said negatively about bm3 in that post? I just don’t see it.

And hansjbs he at’d you because you said something that he felt was an inaccurate representation of what NS2 offers in comparison to Cubasis (not bm3) and also pointed out unique things about NS2 in general.

The only thing he even used as an example with BM3 at all was the spectral looping in the sampler and how it worked and how to get a similar effect as In the video. He didn’t bad mouth BM3. Is what dendy said inaccurate about how the spectral sampler in NS2 works?

I’ve read that post a few times to make sure I’m not missing anything, but I just don’t see what you are talking about. Is it literally that one video in the entire post?

• @drez said:
    @tk32 @hansjbs can you be specific about what @dendy said negatively about bm3 in that post? I just don’t see it.

And hansjbs he at’d you because you said something that he felt was an inaccurate representation of what NS2 offers in comparison to Cubasis (not bm3) and also pointed out unique things about NS2 in general.

The only thing he even used as an example with BM3 at all was the spectral looping in the sampler and how it worked and how to get a similar effect as In the video. He didn’t bad mouth BM3. Is what dendy said inaccurate about how the spectral sampler in BM3 works?

I’ve read that post a few times to make sure I’m not missing anything, but I just don’t see what you are talking about. Is it literally that one video in the entire post?

I think it is a legacy thing. Goes back to the second winter of 2018.

This discussion has been closed.