Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio 2 on sale

Comments

• edited February 2019

@bleep said:
    Well, the BM3 sampler can play different samples depending on which velocity you have when you release the finger (the NOTEOFF velocity).

Ok, what a dumb noob i am, shame on me :lol:
    Nanostudio can do this obviously too :lol:

• @kinkujin said:
    I'm a sucker for sales. Sales are good for the consumer. Sales are good for the dev (if he/she determines it needs to happen). I truly don't get the controversy.

Timing.

• @MonzoPro said:

@kinkujin said:
    I'm a sucker for sales. Sales are good for the consumer. Sales are good for the dev (if he/she determines it needs to happen). I truly don't get the controversy.

Timing.

Looks to me like it was timed to run alongside NS2 being Stuff’s app of the week.

• @MonzoPro said:

@kinkujin said:

Timing.

If you don’t mind me asking, what in your view would be an appropriate length of time for a developer to wait after release for a sale? One that wouldn’t make you mad - even if you had only bought the software recently. Also, is that related at all to the magnitude of the decrease?

This is a sincere question, out of interest, not for purposes of argument. Please feel free not to answer as it could just kick off another row.

• edited February 2019

It was timed to piss Monzo off, surely? >:)

Matt (Blip) must have a sense of humour too, I figure. My guess is that it’s his cunning plan for getting back at this forum for all the pain our hype train caused him these last 4+ years.

Piss off the welsh guy — the theory goes — and you potentially take the whole forum down due to chain lightning :p

Joking aside.. it’s clearly a ‘run-alongside’ promotion for all the super-casual ipad users who read Stuff magazine. Guys who wouldn’t think twice about spending £300+ on awful Beats headphones, but balk at the idea of spending 10% of that price on a tool that will bring sheer joy and creativity (and perhaps even a career change) for years to come.

• edited February 2019

@wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

@kinkujin said:

Timing.

If you don’t mind me asking, what in your view would be an appropriate length of time for a developer to wait after release for a sale? One that wouldn’t make you mad - even if you had only bought the software recently. Also, is that related at all to the magnitude of the decrease?

This is a sincere question, out of interest, not for purposes of argument. Please feel free not to answer as it could just kick off another row.

Well, the general consensus when I was fence sitting was that the app would never go on sale, so despite it being (in my opinion) a tenner higher than I wanted to pay, I took the plunge confident it wouldn’t go on sale for at least a few months, if not, ever.

I haven’t got the disposable cash that many seem to have on here, so I have to plan my spending carefully. I had a thirty quid Xmas voucher, and so it all went on NS2. I’m irritated because if I’d waited 14 days, I could have bought the Mellotron app with the saving.

I have absolutely no issue with the app going on sale, but so soon after release doesn’t sit comfortably with me. It feels too soon.

Just my opinion, and it seems an extremely unpopular one - on here anyway - but I think anything under three months from release gives the appearance it was overpriced for the market. And it also puts me off buying other apps on release.

• tjatja
    edited February 2019

@wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

@kinkujin said:

Timing.

To post my time frame:

I would be OK with a year.
    Maybe 6 month.

But not more early after release.

And at best, no sale at all.
    I hate sales.
    Sales make me wait for sales, as I then don't want to buy when there is no sale.

Sales just get me to buy things that I would normally not buy at all.

But those things I realy want, I always get directly, at full price.

And then, of course, I don't like to see the price drop directly after buying.
    6 month minimum, I would say.

Just out of gut.

• @tk32 said:

Matt (Blip) must have a sense of humour too, I figure. My guess is that it’s his cunning plan for getting back at this forum for all the pain our hype train caused him these last 4+ years.

Piss off the welsh guy — the theory goes — and you potentially take the whole forum down due to chain lightning :p

Joking aside.. it’s clearly a ‘run-alongside’ promotion for all the super-casual ipad users who read Stuff magazine. Guys who wouldn’t think twice about spending £300+ on awful Beats headphones, but balk at the idea of spending 10% of that price on a tool that will bring sheer joy and creativity (and perhaps even a career change) for years to come.

If that’s the case, then rather than giving a discount to loyal customers buying on release - reporting the bugs, suggesting improvements, helping the community with tips and tutorials etc. - a bunch of Stuff magazine readers get it for two thirds of the price, a few weeks later.

Not how I’d do it if it was my product, but obviously I’m in a minority.

• @MonzoPro said:

@tk32 said:

If that’s the case, then rather than giving a discount to loyal customers buying on release - reporting the bugs, suggesting improvements, helping the community with tips and tutorials etc. - a bunch of Stuff magazine readers get it for two thirds of the price, a few weeks later.

Not how I’d do it if it was my product, but obviously I’m in a minority.

I'm with you.

I don't mind to have payed more, but it would have been better to reduce the price at release!

• @MonzoPro said:
    @lovadamusic said:

The seller prices the app based on what they think the market will bear. The market determines what the price should actually be. It's apparent that some of us think NS2, as it is, is worth the full price, but maybe the market isn't there for it. Hence, the discount. In any case, it doesn't look promising for iOS.

I think sometimes on forums like this, the overwhelming love for developers and what they do can have a negative effect on their sales, as it gives them unrealistic feedback on what the market is willing to pay for their products. Comments such as "prices in appstore are just ridiculous... they should be 10x bigger" doesn't help anyone, because no-one is going to pay that aside from a bunch of fanboys with cash to burn. "loyal customers on old NS1 forums were asking matt to NOT give initial discount", which then meant he ended up reducing the price a few weeks later was bad advice. If there are discounts to be given in the first month or so then it should be the other way around.

p.s. I'm not having a pop at you @dendy by using your quotes, you've been a great help with your tips and tutorials - you're one of the good guys, but they are an example of the fever that some on here get into when talking about certain apps, and defending them if anyone dare questions their pricing.

The fact that the price has been reduced a few weeks after release suggests to me that the original price was too high and not generating enough sales. And considering it's not going to have audio tracks anytime soon, and that will be a paid update anyway, the current sale price is about right - in my opinion as someone using the app. I guess that will be confirmed if the 'sale' price is kept up for a long period, and not a 'flash' one. If it goes back to the original price tomorrow, and stays that way until the next Black Friday then my assumption is wrong.

The irony of all this though, is that this type of seemingly random discounting doesn't instill customer confidence. It's certainly going to make me feel cautious about my next app purchase.

I'm not a developer, but my guess is that pricing an iOS app for best revenue is not a straightforward calculation. If a dev works on an ambitious app for years (not at all a trivial piece of software,) the iOS platform is fairly saturated with DAW/Music Studio type apps, but there is already an enthusiastic user base from the app's previous incarnation, and a paltry $10 difference in price is enough to sway a typical iOS buyer's ultimate purchasing decision, then I'm glad I'm not an iOS dev trying to make a living.

I think I can understand why the price of an iOS app may fluctuate in a seemingly random way as a dev tries to find buyers. I don't understand how it erodes confidence in some customers like yourself, as you see your dissatisfaction with the sale as worse for the dev than whatever issues are causing them to lower their prices. The way I see it, I'd be surprised if a significant number of NS2 users are now going to be reluctant to support the app. It's still the same app I bought at the price I chose to pay for it, and the future I wanted for it hasn't changed an iota. I don't see how trying to box a developer in on what price they should charge at any given moment helps them succeed.

• edited February 2019

Did I mention that BM3 went free for a whole week (free!) less than a year after launch.

We all managed to deal with that fairly reasonably.

This is pretty minor in comparison, though I do hope that Matt’s long tail of sales are rewarding his herculean efforts to build that thing (and also sustaining the long road ahead to iphone and audio track features). I’d hate to think he didn’t sell well enough to make it all worth it. Though I have a suspicion (which @brambos can probably confirm) that sadly no serious music app ever does :/

I doubt anybody is getting rich here, from the DAW makers to the plugin developers, sample pack builders, even the YouTube influencers. They all do it for love... and we love them in return <3

• Ah, it's been a while since I've seen a really good drama queen outburst on here. Thanks @MonzoPro!

• @Sonicflux said:
    Ah, it's been a while since I've seen a really good drama queen outburst on here. Thanks @MonzoPro!

FOR FUCKS SAKE, WILL YOU LOT GIVE IT A FUCKING REST.

I have a SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT OPINION to most of you.

GET OVER IT, and cut out the fucking digs and insults.

Grow up for fucks sake.

• @Sonicflux said:
    Ah, it's been a while since I've seen a really good drama queen outburst on here. Thanks @MonzoPro!

What the fuck is up with the pile on?
    Seriously, it's nasty and a little cowardly.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Sonicflux said:

FOR FUCKS SAKE, WILL YOU LOT GIVE IT A FUCKING REST.

I have a SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT OPINION to most of you.

GET OVER IT, and cut out the fucking digs and insults.

Grow up for fucks sake.

You just criticized me for insulting you, and then insulted me. Your talents know no bounds. I thought you left in a huff three pages ago.

• @MonzoPro said:
    I have absolutely no issue with the app going on sale, but so soon after release doesn’t sit comfortably with me. It feels too soon.

Just my opinion, and it seems an extremely unpopular one - on here anyway - but I think anything, under three months from release gives the appearance it was overpriced for the market. And it also puts me off buying other apps on release.

Thanks. I’m just pondering the issue since, even though I don’t understand it at all, I know you’re not alone in feeling that way. The outcry when BM3 went temporarily free was deep and bitter.

The reason I asked is I often come close to launching into some iOS development. So far I’ve been put off by the low likelihood of payback for the time invested. Pricing is something I think about a lot. I’m trying to figure out if I had to bump sales temporarily for whatever reason, or realized I’d priced an app poorly, what I’d do about it and how.

We all like to benefit from sales and price decreases, but if I was a developer considering offering one, I’d be gun shy due to the people that complain. I’m trying to figure out what parameters work.

• Never a dull moment here :D :D :D :D

• wimwim
    edited February 2019

@ExAsperis99 said:

@Sonicflux said:

What the fuck is up with the pile on?
    Seriously, it's nasty and a little cowardly.

+1
    Seriously. What the hell?? At least he had a sincere beef and didn’t just jump on here solely to be a dick like you did. Peace out bro.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Serious question - I need to know what I'm allowed to say.

You may say what ever you believe. Just be prepared for someone to comment.

"I paid $30 last week and now it's on sale for $20. Pisses me off."

You should be pissed off. Fair enough. I get that. I would be too but..this this happens to someone every time an app is discounted. What is your solution?

• tjatja
    edited February 2019

mistake, delete

• I apologize in advance. But ... I live in the most impoverished country of Europe, Ukraine. My income is about 450 dollars a month, of which at least 370 I spend on an apartment, food and medicines. And yes, I am a disabled person who rides in a wheelchair. But ... I can’t understand crying over 5 pages about 10 dollars. This is the triumph of human greed in unsurpassed greatness. I do not know how much it costs to work in the UK, but it seems to me that the time spent on complaints in this topic could already pay off in any kind of work. Sorry for my English.

• iOS pricing structure needs to become like desktop software. :D
    How many desktop developers have a sale 2 weeks after release?
    Aside from Waves who’s pricing system is akin to a rollercoaster ride

• edited February 2019

@Slava Welcome neighbor, Slovakia here :) Good words, and great point with time spent !

btw. i wish all good to you and your country, it's not easy for you from many reasons !

• It is not 5 pages of complaints. It’s one post with 5 pages of people complaining about the post and a few replies in self-defense by the poor guy who spoke his mind.

Time to move along! Sheesh.

• edited February 2019

@dendy said:
    @Slava Welcome neighbor, Slovakia here :) Good words, and great point with time spent !

btw. i wish all good to you and your country, it's not easy for you from many reasons !

We live almost next door :) Everything will be fine. War is not infinite.

• @Slava said:

@dendy said:

If only wars were. But I can agree with Mr. James Brown about war and hold out for the hope of Mr. John Lennon.

• @knewspeak said:

@Slava said:

@dendy said:

If only wars were. But I can agree with Mr. James Brown about war...

Do you mean Edwin Starr? Or the Temptations? This is going to cause a diplomatic scandal!

• edited February 2019

@Slava said:
    I apologize in advance. But ... I live in the most impoverished country of Europe, Ukraine. My income is about 450 dollars a month, of which at least 370 I spend on an apartment, food and medicines. And yes, I am a disabled person who rides in a wheelchair. But ... I can’t understand crying over 5 pages about 10 dollars. This is the triumph of human greed in unsurpassed greatness. I do not know how much it costs to work in the UK, but it seems to me that the time spent on complaints in this topic could already pay off in any kind of work. Sorry for my English.

Just to answer your question the minimum wage in the UK if you’re over 25 is about £8 an hour. If you’re under 18 minimum wage is only about £4.20 an hour.

Nanostudio is usually £28.99 and is currently £19.99 so £9.00 off.

I’m glad I don’t smoke cos a packet of Marlboro is over £11. It costs me about £60 to fill my car up with 50 litres of fuel.

But I’d be annoyed if I’d just spent my £30 iTunes voucher on one app when it could have gone much further just a week later.

Whilst £9 is nothing in the UK these days (about half a dominos
    Pizza) it doesn’t mean that You can spend £9 whenever you feel like it on apps. The UK is an expensive place to live and the average wage doesn’t go far. Especially when your home costs about 20 times your yearly salary.

Anyway. I hope we can give it a rest now. We all know that £9 is nothing and you shouldn’t complain. We also know £9 is a big chunk of spare change to spend on apps. Those for whom £9 is a tip added onto the price their lunch have no place telling anybody else the value of a £1.

Conversely the developers have a right to do whatever they think is necessary to earn a crust. Including discounting when they previously intended not to.

Perhaps a discount is needed to boost sales so they can afford their own Dominos pizza and packet of Marlboro. Or rent.

Can’t we get back to complaining about all the features nanostudio doesn’t have yet (but absolutely should considering how fucking expensive it is) instead?

I think I may just have insulted everybody instead of calming things down. I’ll get my coat.

;-)

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@knewspeak said:

@Slava said:

@dendy said:

If only wars were. But I can agree with Mr. James Brown about war...

Do you mean Edwin Starr? Or the Temptations? This is going to cause a diplomatic scandal!

Hope so, we only have fake ‘fake’ faked ones these days.

This discussion has been closed.