Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The best Audio Units

Hi all,

I am new when it comes to audio units. in the past I made almost all my music with Nanostudio. I am currently discovering part two of this fantastic app and with it the possibility to use audio units.

I already have two synths, Poison and Sunrizer, and I really like both. However, I am very curious what Audio Units you like and why.

There is a whole world for me to discover and I hope that I can purchase new AUs based on your input.

Peace,

Dr. Rinkel

Comments

• edited February 2019

Before you start buying a lot of AUs and end stucked in "buy them all vortex", in would suggest you deeply check everything what's inside NS ;) Bundled FXs are often overlooked but they easily match a lot of external plugins in terms of quality, but with lot less CPU needs, not speaking about Obsidian as bread&butter synth, but that you probably know :)

Anyway - there are few AUs which i really love, they sound beautifull, the are super stable and their place on my iPad is safe :) ... Here i list them in random order.. Btw. important factor for me is not just sound, but also stability, reliability of plugin - anything what crashes or behaves unreliable goes immediately out of my device - i want concentrate on music and not on solving issues :-)

Here is my selection:

BramBos

• Troublemaker (303!!)
    • Ripplemaker
    • Rosetta (midi fxs package)
    • Kosmonaut (advanced delay)
    • Perforator (advanced "trance gate")
      (but basically everything from this guy is fantastic and instabuy)

FAC Transient (dynamic processor - transient shaper, i use ot mostly on drums - and again other plugs from FAC are top notch too, but i need just this one)
    Blamsoft Viking (ridiculously cheap moog clone, with great sounding filter, i like this one more that original moog model d- it needs lot less cpu)
    KQ Dixie (faithfull DX7 clone)
    Ravenscroft 275 (best ios piano)
    Audio Damage RoughRider2 (colouring compresor, in rare cases when NS build-in compressor is not enough)
    Elliott Garrage Waveshaper (beautifull sounding wavetable synth)
    Klevgrand Kleverb (for rare cases when NS Algoverb is not enough)
    REAMP (nice "analog" multiband saturator/overdrive)
    Zeeon (probably most "analog" sounding classic synth on iOS, at least for me. )

Take this just as my personal selection which fits needs of my music.. i'm sure other people which are making differnt music will have different taste,, so you probably get tips to most of existing plugins :lol:

• Essential synths: Zeeon, Sunrizer, Moog Model D

Also soon to be converted to AUv3: Audiokit D1

Effects: Most things by Audiodamage and Klevgrand

• I’d like to add DRC to the list. It sounds amazingly warm and analog - a real joy to use.

• For me Synthmaster One and Synthmaster Player is probably the most used... Fantastic stuff!!

• my most used instruments are Sunrizer, Zeeon, Ruismaker and mood. most used effects are Dubstation 2, Kleverb and Fac Transient. honorable mentions are Spacecraft, fac maxima and Degrader.

necessities are Rozeta and an EQ (i use GotoEQ and ProQ2)

• edited February 2019

@dendy said:
    Before you start buying a lot of AUs and end stucked in "buy them all vortex", in would suggest you deeply check everything what's inside NS ;) Bundled FXs are often overlooked but they easily match a lot of external plugins in terms of quality, but with lot less CPU needs, not speaking about Obsidian as bread&butter synth, but that you probably know :)

Anyway - there are few AUs which i really love, they sound beautifull, the are super stable and their place on my iPad is safe :) ... Here i list them in random order.. Btw. important factor for me is not just sound, but also stability, reliability of plugin - anything what crashes or behaves unreliable goes immediately out of my device - i want concentrate on music and not on solving issues :-)

Here is my selection:

BramBos

• Troublemaker (303!!)
    • Ripplemaker
    • Rosetta (midi fxs package)
    • Kosmonaut (advanced delay)
    • Perforator (advanced "trance gate")
      (but basically everything from this guy is fantastic and instabuy)

FAC Transient (dynamic processor - transient shaper, i use ot mostly on drums - and again other plugs from FAC are top notch too, but i need just this one)
    Blamsoft Viking (ridiculously cheap moog clone, with great sounding filter, i like this one more that original moog model d- it needs lot less cpu)
    KQ Dixie (faithfull DX7 clone)
    Ravenscroft 275 (best ios piano)
    Audio Damage RoughRider2 (colouring compresor, in rare cases when NS build-in compressor is not enough)
    Elliott Garrage Waveshaper (beautifull sounding wavetable synth)
    Klevgrand Kleverb (for rare cases when NS Algoverb is not enough)
    REAMP (nice "analog" multiband saturator/overdrive)
    Zeeon (probably most "analog" sounding classic synth on iOS, at least for me. )

Take this just as my personal selection which fits needs of my music.. i'm sure other people which are making differnt music will have different taste,, so you probably get tips to most of existing plugins :lol:

Thanks @dendy for your extended response! This is exactly why I started this topic, protecting myself from that "buy them all vortex". Based on your reactions, I first want to find out what is possible and then make a selection of what I (think I) need. Of course I still have to dive into NS2 and maybe that will make some AUs unnecessary.

Stability is indeed also very important. Already had several times that Sunrizer did not work very well in NS2. Well the question is whether that is by Sunrizer or by NS2.

Also thanks to you @richardyot @Peblin @ErrkaPetti, will certainly also look at your suggestions.

• Stability is indeed also very important. Already had several times that Sunrizer did not work very well in NS2. Well the question is whether that is by Sunrizer or by NS2.

It depends on what kind of issue... there is well known bug in some plugins related to sample rate handling - Sunrizer is one of them (i already reported it to @giku_beepstreet so hope it will be fixed at some point)

more about this issue here:
    https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/439/list-of-plugins-with-problem-in-sample-rate-handling#latest

But if it's some thing different, would be nice if you can report it at NS forums so we can investigste if it something needs to be fixed at NS side.

• edited February 2019

@richardyot said:
    Essential synths: Zeeon, Sunrizer, Moog Model D

This + anything by brambos is all you're looking for.

I'd stop reading now. Pretty much everything top quality has been mentioned twice or more. These lists always devolve into people just listing things because they haven't been listed yet.

• @oat_phipps said:

@richardyot said:
    Essential synths: Zeeon, Sunrizer, Moog Model D

This + anything by brambos is all you're looking for.

I'd stop reading now. Pretty much everything top quality has been mentioned twice or more. These lists always devolve into people just listing things because they haven't been listed yet.

This. I’ll add BeatHawk too for a variety of acoustic samples.

• I guess you are right @oat_phipps, sometimes less is more. @Keenan , i'm also going to check out BeatHawk. Acoustic samples are always good!

• Having MIDI controller AUs is very handy, as such I'd recommend StepPolyArp Unit and Rozeta.

• All by BramBos and Icegear plus KQ Dixie and Viking.

• IFretless Bass. ISymphonic strings ( just the base app. Spend the inapp acoustic dough in BeatHawk). And, of course, Ravenscroft 275 piano.

• I would still like to add Unique by sugarbytes to the list. Every parameter controlknob can be automated by an internal control. I have created some weird sounds this way.

• McDMcD
    edited February 2019

NOTE: If you can't freeze a track to audio then you'll probably very quickly add AU's and consume resources causing failures. Especially if you go for large sample products like:

RC275
    Colossus Pianos
    BeatHawk
    etc.

Cubasis users just freeze these big apps to audio and keep adding tracks to create music that sounds like it was recorded using live musicians.

You can go further towards adding AUv3 with the FX slot apps:

• Reverbs: AudioReverd, Kleverb, Zero Reverb...
    • Compress/Limit Apps: Limiter, DDMF No Limits, Maxima...
    • Sound Processors: FAC Transients, ReAmp, DC-9...
    • MIDI FX: Rozeta Suite, MIDI Tools, StreamByter, Physicles...
    • Multi-FX: Turnado, Discord4, Kosmonaut, Perforator...

Good luck deciding where to invest. @thesoundtestroom has demos of most AU apps.