Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ravenscroft piano nit working in nanostudio 2

2»

Comments

• Just throwing this out there, but is Module as greedy with memory as Ravenscroft? They both sound great to my amateur ear.

• edited February 2019

@drez said:
    I do know that i’ve Got 30 Obsidians going no problem. MEMORY AND CPU YOU ARE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!!

:trollface:

:lol: :lol:

• wimwim
    edited February 2019

@tja, you are right. Even modestly elegant programming should be able to detect upcoming resource overallocation and gracefully prevent it, informing the user as it does so.

I chalk it up to Apple:

1. Always starting from the presumpumption that they know more about how you should use your devices than you do, and being almost pathological about refusing to accept any other possibility.
    2. Not really caring about much more than casual Garage Band music makers on the platform. (Probably believing it will never become a lucrative market for them, and possibly being right on that point.)
    3. Not really being the software geniuses everyone assumes they are, at least not any more. (See Files.App for a non music example!)

No sense being outraged about it though since there’s not a snowball’s chance in hell of influencing them. Unless you just enjoy beating your head against the wall. Some people do.

• @wim Yes, Apple can be difficult.

I also miss a "Select All" in some places, like the Mail App...
    Maybe I bang my head with a feedback questionary :)

• edited February 2019

@wim said:
    Even modestly elegant programming should be able to detect upcoming resource overallocation and gracefully prevent it, informing the user as it does so.

On iOS it's lot of fun. if IOS detects low memory, it sends notification to all running apps "hey guys, clean your shit". It's then on app what to do with this warning (inclucing completely ignore it).

If your app is host (DAW) with loaded lot of plugins, you host app can just free own memory. It is completely out of control for host to force it's plugin to do same thing ..

So single one wrong plugin can take down whole host, because of another thing - as a next step, if there is still low memory, iOS starts kill apps - or better processes ... And host including all it's running AUs are running as single process. So one wrong plugin witch eats too much memory can take down whole host.
    (i may be wrong with this last detail, or inaccurate - maybe some experienced dev can correct me if i said something which is not true)

• @McD said:

@tja said:

@dendy said:
    It is even worse. Apple sets this limit for ALL instances of same plugin - so if you run for example 3 instances of Ravenscroft, they all together share just 340 MB !

Most devices have 1GB of RAM. Newer iPads and iPhones have 2GB or more. There's the newest device with 4GB that costs $2,000. How much RAM do you want for AU's? 1/3 for most 1GB devices seems reasonable. I still use my iPad 2 with 512MB for somethings. Most AUv3 won't work with IOS 9 so there's that restriction due to progress.

It's not a conspiracy to keep anything from you. It's an attempt to make a stable platform.
    Use Standalones or IAA apps and you another set of restrictions. I'd like to use multiple
    IOS devices using IDAM to avoid D-to-A conversions but I need something like iConnect4 with USB support to route the traffic. It will also probably be buggy anyway. Putting the code of 3 or more people iso a system is usually tricky unless someone sets out standards for interoperability and Apple tries to do just that.

A used iPad Pro 12.9” from 2015 have 4GB RAM, and, is pretty cheap (at least here in Sweden at some sales market like blocket.se or tradera.com...

• edited February 2019

And, you can get an 11” iPad Pro used (but not used) with 256GB and Celluar for 950$...
    New was 14500SEK, around 1600$...