Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Garageband piano roll/sustain pedal bug?

After I record an instrument from a MIDI controller and use the sustain pedal, deleting any note event or even moving a note event to another note causes -all- the sustain pedal events to be ignored for the whole clip (resulting in a very choppy performance)

Tried this on Ravenscroft piano as (AU) as well as internal GB E-piano.

Can anyone reproduce this behavior?

Comments

• repro-ed on iPhone XS Max, safe to say this one will never get fixed :#

• I’ve tried it with Nanokey Studio and Ravenscroft and there was no issue on my iPhone 7 Plus. But this is a sustain button not a physical pedal (not sure that make a difference as it’s the same midi message).

• edited February 2019

@Janosax said:
    I’ve tried it with Nanokey Studio and Ravenscroft and there was no issue on my iPhone 7 Plus. But this is a sustain button not a physical pedal (not sure that make a difference as it’s the same midi message).

Sustain button does not have the issue. ( Edit: I thought you meant sustain button in GB GUI interface ) Only the physical pedal. Which is quite surprising. I also thought it would be the same MIDI message.

That’s why I know it will never get fixed. Probably few people use physical sustain pedal with GB and subsequently edit the events.

• edited February 2019

I use Nanokey Studio sustain button, not GB onscreen button. When monitored in MidiFire, this button trigger CC64 hold pedal. Should not make any difference with a true pedal, so that’s odd as I don’t have any issue moving/deleting notes.

• @Janosax said:
    I use Nanokey Studio sustain button, not GB onscreen button. When monitored in MidiFire, this button trigger CC64 hold pedal. Should not make any difference with a true pedal, so that’s odd as I don’t have any issue moving/deleting notes.

Thanks for checking I investigated further and it’s only happening when I use a particular Roland digital piano MIDI out. (My Dad’s Roland KR-5) My other controller is not having the issue. Maybe the Roland handles sustain differently. I vaguely recall there used to be two ways to handle MIDI sustain years ago. Maybe this is throwing GarageBand off.

• edited September 2021

I’m using KORG module as an audio unit extension in IOS GarageBand.
    Using Roland FP30 keyboard to send midi with Roland DP10 pedal to send midi sustain data.
    Recording works fine.
    When I try to edit midi in GarageBand, sustain data is lost leaving only keys midi data. Sounds choppy without the sustain.
    Copying the track to another internal GarageBand instrument shows the sustain data fine.
    Copying back to KORG module track - sustain disappears.
    This means the sustain data is there somewhere but is not shown.
    I am not sure if this is a GarageBand bug, KORG module bug, or related to Roland gear.
    @realdawei did you make progress with it?

• @tomeraz said:
    I’m using KORG module as an audio unit extension in IOS GarageBand.
    Using Roland FP30 keyboard to send midi with Roland DP10 pedal to send midi sustain data.
    Recording works fine.
    When I try to edit midi in GarageBand, sustain data is lost leaving only keys midi data. Sounds choppy without the sustain.
    Copying the track to another internal GarageBand instrument shows the sustain data fine.
    Copying back to KORG module track - sustain disappears.
    This means the sustain data is there somewhere but is not shown.
    I am not sure if this is a GarageBand bug, KORG module bug, or related to Roland gear.
    @realdawei did you make progress with it?

Haven’t tried since back then, but I would put this as a GarageBand iOS issue unlikely to be fixed. They are focusing mainly on sound packs — The core engine hasn’t been touched in years.

• Yes, there are problems with sustain data in GarageBand. I have a couple of projects that are 100% GarageBand that have major sustain issues - didn’t even use an external controller on the tracks. A few months ago the issue would resolve if I opened the instrument after I started playing the track. But I tried again now and sustain goes back and forth randomly between on and off while playing. I agree with others, it’s not worth worrying about and will not be fixed. My guess is that you’d have to re-record and not edit the midi.

• Keep pushing them feedback to Apple :sunglasses:
    https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Be sure to select GarageBand iOS and submit one report per issue, if multiple issues, just file multiple reports.

The upcoming macOS12(Monterey) will fix some AUv3 issues in GarageBand on macOS so we might get some fixes for iOS/iPadOS as well...

• @realdawei said:
    After I record an instrument from a MIDI controller and use the sustain pedal, deleting any note event or even moving a note event to another note causes -all- the sustain pedal events to be ignored for the whole clip (resulting in a very choppy performance)

Tried this on Ravenscroft piano as (AU) as well as internal GB E-piano.

Can anyone reproduce this behavior?

Same problem with me (physical sustain pedal and Ravenscroft).
    Really bothering…