Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Before I buy a Boss RC505...

13»

Comments

• :D

So completely unrelated but Grooverider vs Patterning for some beats to go with my loops?

• @BroCoast said:
    :D

So completely unrelated but Grooverider vs Patterning for some beats to go with my loops?

Got patterning 2. It's changed my life!

• edited February 2019

I figured I might elaborate on my looping set up a little and why the Boss RC-202/505 does not fit in:

The Boss units don't like being the MIDI slave. When slaved, they decide where the one/downbeat is and it's never in the right place. They can really only be the Master clock which is not ideal in conjunction with iOS apps. The time stretch is also ugly when slaved but not very noticeable if it's the master.

Now OTOH as the master the Boss loopers are far beyond Quantiloop which often fucks up tempo detection. So for people that want to start from an unquantized riff/idea and have everything follow that it's ace.

Anyway here is my current setup & what I do:

3 mono synths (Minitaur, SH-2, Odyssey) & 1 vocal mic with preamp into 4 channel keyboard mixer to input 1 of Steinberg UR22
    Keystep
    Beatstep (For selecting drum patterns on row 1, Animoog presets on row 2)
    Stratocaster through pedalboard, tape echo & DI into input 2 of Steinberg UR22

AUM as host
    Patterning 2 for drums & Master clock
    Flux:FX for looping
    Fiddlicator for CAB sim on guitar
    Animoog

The Flux session looks like this:

Each loop slice is a 4 bar loop (if tempo is 120 or above) or I use a different preset for 2 bar loops if the tempo is below 120. Using these 2 loop slices and switching them round gives unlimited overdubs dumping one on the other etc.

I've used everything from a Revox to an EDP+. This is the most inspiring and flexible loop setup for how I play which is a mix of frippertronics/ambient to Krautrock & Berlin school to Disco/House.

I really hope Noiise/Mobgen gives Flux:FX some love. I'd hate to see something so well thought out end up unusable.

• Whoa, quite a setup! I haven’t even tried to get everything to play nice together yet , your setup looks amazing! What iPad are you using ?

• edited February 2019

@Gaia.Tree said:
    Whoa, quite a setup! I haven’t even tried to get everything to play nice together yet , your setup looks amazing! What iPad are you using ?

Thanks!

I'm using a 9.7" iPad Pro.

It all seems to work ok at 48khz/128 samples which is about the max amount of latency I can handle.

I'd like to remove the direct guitar/fiddlicator part and use my amp instead but I can't find a way around the phase issues that would bring. One option would be to use another iPad just for the guitar parts and running into an amp.

• @BroCoast Thansk for sharing the setup. So you have the guitar straight into the reverb and delay and into the UR22 .. No amp? Are you using bias or tonestack in AUM or not at all ?

• @thepinkelefant said:
    @BroCoast Thansk for sharing the setup. So you have the guitar straight into the reverb and delay and into the UR22 .. No amp? Are you using bias or tonestack in AUM or not at all ?

No amp sims.

The Tube Tape Echo I religously play guitar through is basically the same as the front end of a good amp.

So all I need to use is a cab sim. I'd still much prefer to use a real amp but for now it works ok.