Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

(Looking for) IOS audio editor that does simple pitch up/down without timestretch

edited January 2019 in General App Discussion

I’m looking for a simple audio wave editor on iOS that can import a WAV file from FILES.app or Document Picker, apply a small pitch adjustment (without ztx/timestretch) and then re-export the WAV file back to FILES/document picker

Hokusai pro seems to do this, but the price is a bit steep ($10). Has anyone found another app that does it cheaper?

(Twisted Wave looked like another potential option, but It appears alll the pitch adjustments use time-stretch, which is not what I want)

Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• edited January 2019

Any reason why you don't want ztx for pitch shifting?
    I'm using Twisted Wave quite frequently and pitch shifting can be done independently from time stretching:

Unfortunately most AUv3 plugins don't work in TwistedWave because the developer refuses to agree that there are still issues with AUv3 support. Discord 4 would be a nice option.

• Maybe have a look at AudioStretch Lite. It has some limitations, but not saving isn’t listed as a limitation, so maybe it will work.
    It does say limited to +/- 3 semitones and 3:00 max file length.

• i think he wants to change the pitch withou any time-stretching. The file will be longer or shorter depending on the pitch. Tape style or how a sampler works in general.

• edited January 2019

Exactly what @paradiddle says.

I want to change the playback speed of one of my tracks, but without the associated timestretch artifacts. I don't mind the fact that it will change pitch slightly. Like speeding up a tape, or vinyl.

• So far the only one I have on my iphone that does it is hokusai and u r right twisted wave is time-stretching.

• Couldn’t you load the track into a sampler, automate pitch bend slightly, from the start, then, record the output to a new track or freeze it?

• edited January 2019

@rs2000
    Unfortunately most AUv3 plugins don't work in TwistedWave because the developer refuses to agree that there are still issues with AUv3 support.

This get my attention...

Don't know what issues with which plugins, but it is fact that some AU plugins actually do have issues related to incorrect handling of various different sample rates - for example they are ignoring sample rate set by host app and are using just device hw sample rate (44 or 48).. some are crashing on different sample rates, some producing crackles..

most DAWs handle this problem just by simply not allowing to use different than default device sample rate ... Cubasis does have "au compatibility mixdown" button which forces rendering on same buffer size and same sample rate which is used for realtime playback - but this is obviously just workaround to deal with issues which should be solved at plugin's side in first place

maybe this is kind of issues in Twisted Wave ?

I can confirm DerVoco crashing in Twisted Wave most probably exactly because of this reason..

I created thread about this problem, if you know about other plugins with same kind of issues, it would be great to add to list

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/439/list-of-plugins-with-problem-in-sample-rate-handling

• @knewspeak said:
    Couldn’t you load the track into a sampler, automate pitch bend slightly, from the start, then, record the output to a new track or freeze it?

That’s how I would do it.

BeatMaker 3 can also do this easily with the tune/fine tune controls for a sample. I don’t think it stretches the sample when you tune it? In any case you can also load up a sample on a pad in BM3 and use pitch bend as knewspeak said.

You can also do it with the sampler in GarageBand but you can’t edit the pitch bend automation, but you can easily tune it to semitones by playing the sample at different pitches. It all depends how fine you need to tune it.

• @dendy: Hey, that's a great tipp! Interestingly, DerVoco shows its UI but applying the effect renders a silent file, no matter what channels/sample rate combination. Indeed the file properties seem to make a difference for some AUv3 plugins in T.W.

BTW, I often get better time-stretching and pitch-shifting results with Amazing Slow Downer, depending on the material. ASD's strength is the choice of different algorithms: Which one sounds the best depends on the audio material.

• edited January 2019

Thanks for the replies.

I know it can be done via BM3 or one of the other DAWs - but this feels long-winded and fiddly for what is a fairly basic adjustment.

I'd have to load the 24-bit WAV file as a sample, trigger it at a higher pitch, and then render the output back to a WAV file. In addition to being laborious, I also wonder if this may affect the sound slightly, as it's all being pushed through the DAW's internal audio signal chain.

Hokusai is still looking the best option - but $10 just to be able to quickly repitch feels a little excessive (I'm sure it's a great app, though)

• @tk32 said:
    Hokusai is still looking the best option - but $10 just to be able to quickly repitch feels a little excessive (I'm sure it's a great app, though)

I guess you mean pitch shifting?
    Do you know how Hokusai Pro compares to Twisted Wave in terms of pitch shifting quality?

• You could also load it up in whatever Auv3 host you want and use Apple's AUNewPitch fx for free, but unless you buy TW or something similar I don\t think there's an easier way.

A lot of iOS audio related stuff is a bit of a faff... it just comes with the territory unfortunately but it is getting easier.

If you have an iPad, open the files app in split view mode next to your DAW/host/whatever-you-open-your-audio-in-app and drag files to and from it; this makes it far quicker than using the export/import dialogues.

• edited January 2019

Apologies @rs2000 - it seems there is a lot of confusion by exactly what is meant by the term 'pitch shift' and 're-pitch' - and I am not helping the matter with my confusing terminology!

Let's make things absolutely clear (with a little help from Wikipedia):

• Time stretching - the process of changing the speed or duration of an audio signal without affecting its pitch.
    • Pitch scaling - is the opposite of above. It changes the pitch without affecting the speed.
    • Pitch shifting - affects both pitch and speed by slowing down or speeding up a recording

The effect I'm after is the last one, good ol' simple pitch shifting

• @tk32 said:

I want to change the playback speed of one of my tracks, but without the associated timestretch artifacts. I don't mind the fact that it will change pitch slightly. Like speeding up a tape, or vinyl.

Anytune does it with stretching included, but on a semitone up or down it's almost impossible to detect artifacts.

• edited January 2019

@tk32 said:
    Apologies @rs2000 - it seems there is a lot of confusion by exactly what is meant by the term 'pitch shift' and 're-pitch' - and I am not helping the matter with my confusing terminology!

• Time stretching - the process of changing the speed or duration of an audio signal without affecting its pitch.
    • Pitch scaling - is the opposite of above. It changes the pitch without affecting the speed.
    • Pitch shifting - affects both pitch and speed by slowing down or speeding up a recording

OK, thanks for the clarification, this is really funny!
    I guess most manufacturers will have to rename their pitch shifters to pitch scalers then :D :D

Interesting alternative definitions:

Eventide define "pitch shifting" as changing pitch without changing the audio length

Ableton define pitch shifting in the same way, and what they call "Re-Pitch" is what Wikipedia calls "Pitch shifting".

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/repitch cites from a book:
    2010, Nick Collins, Introduction to Computer Music (page 69)
    Sample-based synthesis exploits the ability to repitch by a change of playback rate, to create simulations of existing instruments from digital recordings.

I guess the clearest wording is to describe the effect instead of using these shortcuts.

I'm surprised too that none of the audio editors I have support that. Twisted Wave offers re-sampling to a different sample rate but only to a few pre-set frequencies and there's no option to keep the same playback sample rate in the audio file, resulting in no effective pitch change.

• AudioStretch can do this.

• ok, so yr after a simple speed up or slow down of a sample or audio file.. as if it where on a sampler keyboard assigned to, say, C3 and you wanted to play at C2 and the sample would be twice as long and an octave down in pitch but no artifacts or processing is done ..
    my suggestion would be Audio Evolution Mobil .. you can download for free ( thanks to the guy that pointed me at this a while ago..) and you can use 3 tracks in free mode.. so ok for what you want .. have it on scroll, hit project menu and import ( from audioshare? ) then long press on the sample get apply fx, go to timestretch ( yes, annoying terminology but this is the one you want .. ) put in yr factor ie: 2 for double length octave down, 0.5 for half length octave up.. make sure that KEEP PITCH is NOT on , then it will do what you want and you can long press on the sample again ‘ save audio to file’ name it , then go to,projects , samples and it has an open in audioshare thing..
    sounds long winded,, but for free it might be the only option.. AUM will play fileplayer wavs at any speed so you can record those internally at any speed, but not free of course,
    the apematrix sampler will play at any speed so if you have an Au tyoe daw, cubasis or such you can mixdown that for a file or record out in Apematrix which you WILL have :)
    i feel yr pain,, the discussion on the some newer audio editors recently pionted up that some basic stuff like this is still not easy as audacity or audition on windows etc here in ios..
    which is a bit weird.. but hey ho.. look what else we gots!!

• @tk32 said:
    I’m looking for a simple audio wave editor on iOS that can import a WAV file from FILES.app or Document Picker, apply a small pitch adjustment (without ztx/timestretch) and then re-export the WAV file back to FILES/document picker

Hokusai pro seems to do this, but the price is a bit steep ($10). Has anyone found another app that does it cheaper?

(Twisted Wave looked like another potential option, but It appears alll the pitch adjustments use time-stretch, which is not what I want)

Thanks in advance for any advice

TWISTED WAVE IS SICK!

I bought the Mac version as well for my Ableton audio editor.

WELL WELL WORTH IT

• edited January 2019

Thanks @RockySmalls - A very helpful suggestion! I already have AEMS so I'll try this out once I finish work

• @paradiddle said:
    i think he wants to change the pitch withou any time-stretching. The file will be longer or shorter depending on the pitch. Tape style or how a sampler works in general.

@tk32 said:

AudioStretch does independent pitch shift without timestretch.

Didn’t know if you were commenting on my comment, but just thought I would state this to avoid confusion.

• Thanks @CracklePot - very helpful

• Ok.
    1) pitch-shifting usually doesn't alter the lenght of the file.
    2) time-stretching doesn't alter the pitch.

U can combine both usually. (that's the default way Ableton live works)

3) re-pitch like it is possible to set in ableton live is the mode I though tk32 was talking about. If you set all your loops or sounds to repitch and then alter the tempo up or down, the file will be played back faster or slower thus creating a change in pitch. it basically works like a tape machine. Hokusai does all 3 modes but all the other apps mentioned only do the first 2.

• edited January 2019

Ok the terms used are different but the pitchshifting effect (repitch in my post). You cannot do that in Audiostretch.

I'll this though: If you are looking for high quality timestretching/pitch scaling, hokusai isn't that good at it. Audiostretch is better for that.

@tk32 said: