Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Pianoroll (Grid-) Sequencer AUv3 for AUM/Audiobus?

Comments

• edited January 2019

@tja said:
    To be honest, I don't understand the need for AU with such an MIDI sequencer.

An AU would just be loadable multiple times, but why you need several of them?

Just use Xequence and be happy ;-)

I don’t want to work with too much standalone apps. statesaving is very useful in AU Apps. App switching is also much easier with AUs. And by the way...for me it is very useful to load differt instances of a sequencer app. I often use two or three of the bassline AU from the Rozeta for example...why not use more than one instance of a piano roll? 😎
    every synth in AUM or Ab has its own Sequencer then 😉

• I think the main profit for UVI comes from selling their Beathawk soundpacks - the pattern editor is just a tiny part of the app. Developing a new app takes time and i don“t think they could easily isolate that part - too many dependencies on their browser, ui library, midi in/out and so on. With 10.99€ for BeatHawk they could not take the same for a pattern editor and there probably are not that many customers as for the BeatHawk app (wider audience)

• True, probably not worth UVI's time, as a sample pack company. BeatHwak's MIDI sequencer is great though, oh well.

• wimwim
    edited January 2019

@ocelot said:
    Would there be any value in UVI stripping out the sample/synth engine, and releasing a lightweight 'MIDIHawk' AU sequencer? Would anyone buy that?

I’d buy it in a heartbeat. But I doubt it would ever happen. In some ways BeatHawk is more of a vehicle to sell sound packs than anything else. I’m a little surprised they even added midi out, (but so, so glad they did).

• _ki_ki
    edited January 2019

< offtopic >

And i really like that UVIs software support is so receiptive for precise bug reports. They reply back to me through their bugtracking system on the next day, state if they could reproduce it and that they will be working an a fix.
    When the update is out (which can take a while, because they don‘t push updates just for minor changes), i got another email for each of the bug-reports that the specific bug is fixed and i should test again with the new version.

Thats what i call professional software support and how it should be handled by more companies (bug-tracking system with tickets, test for bug reproduction, direct contact to customer, handover to developers, reminder and inquiry after fix) - UVI probably has at least one person for just this job.

It’s clear that small independend developers can‘t offer this - but fortunately many of our music app developers are very reactive to bug reports.

There will also be tons of bugs / feature-requests in the ticket system that can‘t be reproduced, are too complicated to fix. After some month, there will be so many to-do tickets, that this will frustrate the devs. If you have a software thats running great so far you don‘t want to be reminded of the 1001 problems and whishes that could be worked on. The product is already sold and its no longer the hot cakes selling phase. One needs to focus on the big bugs and still try to bring the software forward. Or start developing a new product to get new customers and income.

< /offtopic >

• hi @ all!

great news: Fugue Machine supports AU now! For me this is the perfect Piano Roll Sequencers! I am really happy!😀😀👍👍

• Fugue isn't a piano roll ?

• Having StepPolyArp, Beathawk, and now Fugue machine as ways to build looping patterns and arps via AUv3 midi is great...

But there is still a need for a universal piano roll that provides a way to capture midi performances (live or via step input), tweak them to perfection manually or with tools like quantise, then control how/when they are triggered.

This is why I'm so excited about Audioveek's upcoming piano roll, which also has ghost lanes across all instances.

• edited April 2019

Atom Au ist out now and it’s great! And Fuge has Au support now! I am in heaven 😀

• Yesterday I've done my own little November 2019 shootout of piano-roll style sequencers supporting AUv3 and when I started, I thought I'd get ATOM and I'm set.
    Well, unfortunately not.
    Lacking CC support I then had a look at StepBud which supports CC but editing notes and chords seemed rather awkward to me.

Then I remembered that BeatHawk (for which I got a few nice percussion IAPs recently) supports AUv3 too and what can I say - it does everything that I hoped ATOM and StepBud would deliver.
    Real-time recording, looped recording plus merging with the current pattern, a very nice CC controllers editor that not only supports CC# but also pitch bend and velocity automation with up to 1/64th triplet resolution, fine enough for building really sophisticated rhythmic effects in apeMatrix or AUM. And a transport that starts in sync with the host of course.

Most of you might know that already but I'm really happy that I don't have to wait any longer for an app that "just does everything".

• edited November 2019

• edited November 2019

it's a bit funny that most people who are talking about "dawless" approach with AUM as center of their workflow, in reality doesn't want to be "DAWless", they actually want AUM to be turned to some sort of DAW (with audio tracks, piano roll, patterns, automations - all stuff which makes DAW) :))))

just my personal observation :)

• @rs2000 does it record cc or au parameter automation with direct touch from the AUv3 device itself ? Or is it manual draw only ?

If not does Xequence 2 allow live recording of automation within AUM ?

Thanks

• @dendy said:
    it's a bit funny that most people who are talking about "dawless" approach with AUM as center of their workflow, in reality doesn't want to be "DAWless", they actually want AUM to be turned to some sort of DAW (with audio tracks, piano roll, patterns, automations - all stuff which makes DAW) :))))

True but it’s a kind of modular daw - tres on trend :)

• @zeropoint said:
    @rs2000 does it record cc or au parameter automation with direct touch from the AUv3 device itself ? Or is it manual draw only ?

Recording live MIDI knob tweaks from the Digitakt with BH hosted in AUM definitely works.
    Just make sure you're routing the MIDI input to BH so it will receive MIDI.
    For whatever reason, the recorded controller curve isn't shown before the next playing loop iteration in BH. It records well though.

@dendy said:

You know what? I asked this myself for a long time and I still think that while it's certainly the most flexible way, it's the least intuitive approach for composing music.
    And that's not what I'm into.
    I'll still stick to Gadget and GR16 for composing and sometimes Xequence 2 for editing MIDI.

What modular hosts like apeMatrix and AUM are great for though is building custom FX and weird synth+FX combinations.

When I saw the recent FD1 release, I thought: Man, I've got too many FX already, couldn't I build that myself?
    And the only missing component was a CC sequencer that supports enough CC lanes to control a number of AUv3 parameters. A custom-built Effectrix so to say, but more flexible in terms of effect combinations. Once done, I'd save the setup as a host preset and I could even use it with Gadget and Groove Rider over IAA. Or go the MIDI path and have more synths and samplers inside apeMatrix/AUM but with cool FX added, and all can be used as if they were inside Gadget or GR.

• edited November 2019

I would like to remember 80-s and 90s bands like Skinny Puppy, Jesus Jones, Pop Will Eat itself and Ministry. My concept is to use MIDI Sequencer in live situation. I would have midi tracks that I'll send to buses with instruments and other stuff. I would like to send and recieve midi tracks from daw, back and forth. Like it was with hardware. I don't like Cubasis cause of lacking LINK, deep audio routing, etc. I see that AUM should be a great thing, but It lacks midi sequencer options. Is Xequence 2 will be enough in pair with AUM?

• edited November 2019

Does Atom not do what the OP is wanting?
    https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/atom-piano-roll/id1455200044

• edited November 2019

Oops just noticed this thread is very old and didn’t realise it has a 2nd page!

• @dendy said:

This is true, and I wonder at myself a lot because of it. But I think for me there are two motivations.

1. Every DAW at this point has critical limitations and they all appear like they will continue to be that way for a long time. It becomes a quest to get to a situation where nothing is impossible. It always seems close, but still not attainable.
    2. No DAWs at this time really inspire the impromptu creation process that simply wiring stuff together in AB, AUM, or Ape Matrix do for me. No DAWless setups are ideal for taking things to the next level up from jamming, though, so the quest continues.

But yes, sometimes I do feel like I should just suck it up, pick a DAW, and learn to flow creatively with it rather than messing around with all these Legos.

• @wim said:
    But yes, sometimes I do feel like I should just suck it up, pick a DAW, and learn to flow creatively with it rather than messing around with all these Legos.

Based on the discussion in that other thread on similar topic I just did exactly that. I shall stop trying/messing with it. It will not happen in the near future unless a new up-until-now secret developer turns up and reveals some project we haven’t heard about previously.

Feels good and sad at the same time to have made (or been forced to make) that decision.

• @wim said:

Ah.. but then you'd miss out on all the accidental things that you can make with those Legos.. :) just in the way that you put them together.. or don't put them together (as they should go).. incorrect connections + routing + wiring.. and then the head scratching.. and hands being thrown up in the air in complete frustration.. and then you push play anyway and suddenly.. Whoa! What's that? Where is that fantastic noise coming from? And how did I do that? SAVE whatever you can so that you don't lose it - and also - that you can explore it further down the road..

That puzzle is just too much fun and at times completely unpredictable to do it the other way.. I love the flaws + limitations.. if it was easy-peasy, I'd probably take up knitting instead.. :D

• Yeh. I doubt I’ll ever go completely DAWified.

• The song I’ve been making recently I literally couldn’t make within any of the daws available.

It’s not that I want to be dawless as such, I just don’t want the limitations of the current daws. A modular workflow can include a daw or several daws if needs be, if they support output to AB or whatever. That’s the beauty of it.

• @wim said:

@dendy said:

This is true, and I wonder at myself a lot because of it. But I think for me there are two motivations.

1. Every DAW at this point has critical limitations and they all appear like they will continue to be that way for a long time. It becomes a quest to get to a situation where nothing is impossible. It always seems close, but still not attainable.
    2. No DAWs at this time really inspire the impromptu creation process that simply wiring stuff together in AB, AUM, or Ape Matrix do for me. No DAWless setups are ideal for taking things to the next level up from jamming, though, so the quest continues.

My sentiments exactly. But I always end up back in AUM! NS2 is this close.

• Does atom have any way of showing all the plugin instances on one timeline like 4pockets multitrack?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @StudioES said:

@gregsmith said:
    Does atom have any way of showing all the plugin instances on one timeline like 4pockets multitrack?

Yes, each instance can show the MIDI data in other instances. Editing can only be done in the original instance.

That’s pretty cool although it could do with a simple clip arranger timeline thing

• He’s got other commitments that are taking priority now. I’m sure he’ll return to it.

• edited November 2019

Wait, what? I apparently thought Atom was a piano roll thing. But it’s an environment? A daw-ish type thingy? Aw geez, guess I’d better start reading another mega thread. I hate to not be on-trend.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@kinkujin said:
    Wait, what? I apparently thought Atom was a piano roll thing. But it’s an environment? A daw-ish type thingy? Aw geez, guess I’d better start reading another mega thread. I hate to not be on-trend.

Nope, you got it right. It’s a piano roll only. An excellent one. It’s missing a few features that would make it more useful, but still a must-have IMO.

(Nvm if you were joking. B) )