Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Pianoroll (Grid-) Sequencer AUv3 for AUM/Audiobus?

edited January 2019 in General App Discussion

hi to all! i am looking for a sequencer AUv3 with pianoroll/grid like the sequencers in most DAWs.

for example in Auria:

do you have any suggestion?

Edit: the Pianokeyboard on the side is not nessecary at all. I only would like to have the workflow how to place and edit notes in these sequencers in an AUv3-Midi-Plugin!

thx!

Comments

• _ki_ki
    edited January 2019

The sample-oriented beat production app BeatHawk AU includes a piano roll with note and CC editor for its patterns.

Due to its main focus beeing different from a midi playback & editor app, this may bring some disadvantages:

• Pattern oriented, all tracks in a pattern have the same length
    • Only 16 different patterns
    • One needs to apply a ‚silent‘ sample to midi-output-only pads

The latest update crept in the bug that midi playback uses a different midi channel than recorded for all pads except the first. A bug-fix is beeing in the works. As soon as this arrives, BeatHawk AU can also record, edit and playback MPE midi.

@midiSequencer is currently developing a midi recorder and playback AU with midi files support, but if i remember correctly without editor.

• my midirecorder au app focuses on capture/playback/groove rather than editing, but you can select/trim/clear the buffer. No individual event editing.
    I think @cem_olcay was working on one?

• StepPolyArp and Riffer come to mind

• edited January 2019

Riffer looks very good, but no AU Support 🥴

PolyStepArp Au looks also interesting...

• @_ki said:
    The sample-oriented beat production app BeatHawk AU includes a piano roll with note and CC editor for its patterns.

Due to its main focus beeing different from a midi playback & editor app, this may bring some disadvantages:

The latest update crept in the bug that midi playback uses a different midi channel than recorded for all pads except the first. A bug-fix is beeing in the works. As soon as this arrives, BeatHawk AU can also record, edit and playback MPE midi.

@midiSequencer is currently developing a midi recorder and playback AU with midi files support, but if i remember correctly without editor.

thx, but i think this is not what i am looking for...

• @midiSequencer said:
    my midirecorder au app focuses on capture/playback/groove rather than editing, but you can select/trim/clear the buffer. No individual event editing.
    I think @cem_olcay was working on one?

ok thank you

• @Lycaan said:
    Riffer looks very good, but no AU Support 🥴

PolyStepArp Au looks also interesting...

Looks AU<3 to me though

• Yeah Riffer is great as an AU and hopefully someone will do a similar recordable version, in fact maybe Audiomodern could do it as another app.

• edited January 2019

My wish for an AU sequencer/pianoroll is that @SevenSystems makes a new Xequence AU app, with only one midi track, midi import/export/recording and that awesome pianoroll editor that Xequence has.

• The only issue with Riffer that may be an issue for you is that it's not polyphonic. The developer says it's on the list but we don't know when it'll arrive. SPA unit is probably the best bet right now.

• @White thanks for the nag, actually I'm currently in a "feasibility study" regarding Xequence and AU MIDI ;)

• @SevenSystems said:
    @White thanks for the nag, actually I'm currently in a "feasibility study" regarding Xequence and AU MIDI ;)

Wow, that sounds interesting 😃👍

• That would be most excellent.

• @SevenSystems said:
    @White thanks for the nag, actually I'm currently in a "feasibility study" regarding Xequence and AU MIDI ;)

NOW this is something!!!! The missing piece! ;)

• @SevenSystems said:

Well then, I can assure you, it is totally feasible and badly needed.
    Really, I know all about it.
    You can trust me.
    ;)

Seriously though, if you (in particular) make it, I would definitely buy it without hesitation.
    B)

• @Carnbot said:
    Yeah Riffer is great as an AU and hopefully someone will do a similar recordable version, in fact maybe Audiomodern could do it as another app.

If Riffer can import MIDI files, maybe a combo of @midiSequencer's new app and Riffer could work quite nicely.

• @CracklePot said:

@SevenSystems said:

Well then, I can assure you, it is totally feasible and badly needed.
    Really, I know all about it.
    You can trust me.
    ;)

Seriously though, if you (in particular) make it, I would definitely buy it without hesitation.
    B)

That would be ideal. :)

• @Carnbot @CracklePot thanks... still checking for major roadblocks. :)

• @syrupcore said:

@Carnbot said:
    Yeah Riffer is great as an AU and hopefully someone will do a similar recordable version, in fact maybe Audiomodern could do it as another app.

If Riffer can import MIDI files, maybe a combo of @midiSequencer's new app and Riffer could work quite nicely.

It can't import unfortunately, and it's currently only designed for riffs and not full sequences, but the groundwork is there for full piano roll if they wanted to code it.

Still hoping SunVox is not far off as an AU. This can import files and even though it's a tracker not a piano roll, it will be great to have that timeline as an Audio Unit. Who knows if that will drop anytime soon though....

• What would be awesome is if the upcoming AU from @midiSequencer and Xequence could transfer data back and forth via the clipboard.

• @espiegel123 said:
    What would be awesome is if the upcoming AU from @midiSequencer and Xequence could transfer data back and forth via the clipboard.

at the moment my app can’t import midi (other than record) - Apple haven’t yet allowed app extensions(audio units being one type) to allow other apps to see their app group data. To do this you need to write a document server in the standalone app then you could use the files app etc. I plan on doing this but not for launch.
    Its a limitation of AU apps

• Maybe @brambos is interested in adding a "piano roll gadget" to his Rozeta suite?
    I mean, most of the logic is already there...

• edited January 2019

@rs2000 said:
    Maybe @brambos is interested in adding a "piano roll gadget" to his Rozeta suite?

that would be absolutly great!!!! It’s the only AU i really miss in the Rozeta Suite! 🙏🙏
    @brambos pls think about!

• @Lycaan said:

@rs2000 said:
    Maybe @brambos is interested in adding a "piano roll gadget" to his Rozeta suite?

that would be absolutly great!!!! It’s the only AU i really miss in the Rozeta Suite! 🙏🙏
    @brambos pls think about!

Same, even if it was really simple it would serve my needs!

• To be honest, I don't understand the need for AU with such an MIDI sequencer.

An AU would just be loadable multiple times, but why you need several of them?

Just use Xequence and be happy ;-)

• S> @tja said:

To be honest, I don't understand the need for AU with such an MIDI sequencer.

An AU would just be loadable multiple times, but why you need several of them?

Just use Xequence and be happy ;-)

State saving, so you don’t have to save your project spread over multiple separate IAA apps for starters.

• _ki_ki
    edited January 2019

@tja Even if one only uses just one instance of a sequencer, the main advantage of AU is total recall of settings. No need to open up the sequencer and load the settings for a specific session as with IAA. And to remember to save the changes in the IAA when one saves the session.

AB3 state saving is another possibility for total recall, but i don‘t know if the midi sequencers support state saving. Since i mostly jam around using AUM or ApeMatrix, i would need to host my sessions inside AB3 just to get the sate saving feature.

PS I don“t own Xequence, but several other IAA/AB3 midi sequencers like chordflow, midisequencer, sequencism, promidi and tons of generative midi generators that are only IAA. These just does no longer fit my personal workflow - i must admit i got lazy with AUs total recall.

As stated in my first posting, i am using BeatHawk AU as midi pattern sequencer. I can live with its limitations to 16 pattern of max 16 bars on 16 channels.
    I have stored a preset where all pads are silent that i use as basis for my AUM jams. Its a bit easier to edit or more flexible than Rozeta Bassline or Rozeta Cells which i also use regularly:

Using StepPolyArp Unit as AU sequencer also works, but it can“t record incomming midi and also editing is a lot different, since you have to adjust each lane for its note-offset and its length.

I think i bought all available Midi AUv3 plugins and probably will buy the new ones just to test if they simplify my workflow :)

• Xequence does state saving in AB3. It works fabulously. That said, an AU piano roll app would be great, if done well.

• Yes, statesaving and native sync reliability is best in AU when done properly, but we won’t have to reiterate this forever, one day it will be the norm ;)

• @_ki said:

As stated in my first posting, i am using BeatHawk AU as midi pattern sequencer. I can live with its limitations to 16 pattern of max 16 bars on 16 channels.
    I have stored a preset where all pads are silent that i use as basis for my AUM jams. Its a bit easier to edit or more flexible than Rozeta Bassline or Rozeta Cells which i also use regularly:

Sorry for splicing your posts. I've been testing recording MIDI from Rozeta into BeatHawk AU and sending the MIDI to AU synths. Also drawing MIDI in BeatHawk's piano roll...But haven't tried multiple instances of BeatHawk AU yet.
    Would there be any value in UVI stripping out the sample/synth engine, and releasing a lightweight 'MIDIHawk' AU sequencer? Would anyone buy that?

This is what prompted me to test BeatHawk as an AU Sequencer:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/595007#Comment_594978

@Janosax said:

@ocelot said:
    Is each Beathawk AU instance multi-timbral? (each one has up to 16 instruments??!!)
    How do you sequence those 16 instruments if each track in the DAW is on it's own Midi channel?

Yes, you have to create a midi track for each channel 1-16 for pads/intruments 1-16.

Your settings for that usage need to be like below (disabling midi output avoid to record doublons midi notes):