Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Behringer UMC404HD Unboxing - Daveypoo, The Mobile Music Minstrel

My latest video featuring an unboxing of my newest toy!

Comments

• Cool ,please show a setup video also !
    Can you fx loop in external effects and would it be able to send the output back to iPad for use with LoopyHD ?

• What about the UMC404 volume issues so many have reported?
    Do you have them too? Or is yours an updated version?

• edited January 2019

@thepinkelefant said:
    Cool ,please show a setup video also !
    Can you fx loop in external effects and would it be able to send the output back to iPad for use with LoopyHD ?

I have another video coming soon where I talk about routing, so this was just the unboxing

There’s no effect loop built in that I’m aware of, so sending Loopy out to external effects and back into Loopy may be possible, but it would take a fair amount of mucking about to get it to happen without creating a feedback loop.

@rs2000 said:
    What about the UMC404 volume issues so many have reported?

I have experienced no such issues. I think that the headphone out could have a higher output, but that's most likely because of the tinnitus and having listened to loud music my whole life...

So far I'm loving it - it's worked like a champ and allowed me to get everything in my studio up and running for a change. More to come on that in upcoming videos!

• encenc
    edited January 2019

@rs2000 said:
    What about the UMC404 volume issues so many have reported?

What's that then? I had/have one and it was plenty loud enough. Don't use it as often these days but I did notice a bit of crackle on the headphone output knob when I last used it.

• @enc @rs2000 so as far as volume issues, for me its when using some apps. AUM seems to automatically turn down the mic input gain to 75%, so your inputs don't get as loud but thats a simple fix. Others apps are fine and then some seem to turn down the input gain but there is no way to adjust it in the app. Other than that, its a fantastic interface.

• @gmslayton said:
    @enc @rs2000 so as far as volume issues, for me its when using some apps. AUM seems to automatically turn down the mic input gain to 75%, so your inputs don't get as loud but thats a simple fix. Others apps are fine and then some seem to turn down the input gain but there is no way to adjust it in the app. Other than that, its a fantastic interface.

I haven't used it with AUM yet, so haven't experienced that. I have noticed (as others have pointed out) that you need to have the headphone volume on the iPad up while in use, but that's to @gmslayton and others, I knew that going into it.

As I mentioned in the video - at some point in the last 20 years, Behringer's gear stopped being cheap and awful and stared being cheap and REALLY good. I don't know when that happened, and it's a bit strange for me to get used to as I used to immediately dismiss them as garbage. The Model D proved me wrong, and the UMC404HD is doing that all over again. I'm a regular Behringer fan-boy over here, now that they're dropping the Crave (OMG I so want one...)

• edited January 2019

Haha! Man vs. Plastic Bag! Fun video. Totally unfamiliar with the product, so look forward to seeing more. Looks like it has a single monitor knob for mixing between input and playback— YES! Something I wish I had, and a key feature missing on so many high end interfaces. When you’re trying to be a musician and engineer and a zillion other things all at once (which is like everybody nowadays, I would imagine) getting that headphone monitor mix balance ASAP and getting on with the take is everything!

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    Haha! Man vs. Plastic Bag! Fun video. Totally unfamiliar with the product, so look forward to seeing more. Looks like it has a single monitor knob for mixing between input and playback— YES! Something I wish I had, and a key feature missing on so many high end interfaces. When you’re trying to be music and engineer and a zillion other things all at once (which is like everybody nowadays, I would imagine) getting that headphone monitor mix balance ASAP and getting on with the take is everything!

Yeah - a classic battle that never ends... I'll be fighting with that damn bag until the day I depart this good Earth...

I'm straight up SHOCKED at how good the recent round of Behringer gear is. I'll leave the politics the the big B to the other thread, but I'm definitely coming around. There was no other device that had this many options (multiple independent outputs!?!?!? AWESOME!) and the price was the clincher. I was really surprised when I compared the feature set of the UMC404HD to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 - the UMC blew it out of the water and when I watched some other folks comparison vids I couldn't hear the difference.

And yeah - being able to monitor incoming vs outgoing easily is just brilliant.

• edited January 2019

Its a great device. two years later and no regrets I sold my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for the UMCHD404.
    @Daveypoo What's your experience with input levels on iOS with this?

• @Hmtx said:
    Its a great device. two years later and no regrets I swapped my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for the UMCHD404.
    @Daveypoo What's your experience with input levels on iOS with this?

Input levels are fine - I've not experienced any issues that I've noticed. I've only had it for a couple weeks, though, so my mileage has been limited. I'll continue to put it through it's paces and let you all know if I run into any problems.

• edited January 2019

@Daveypoo said:
    I'll continue to put it through it's paces

I'm curious if you might try to set it up through a Powered USB hub and see if the input levels default to extremely low.

In my experience it is about -24db and I have to manually boost the channels in AB3 or AUM. The sound is superb, just... very quiet.

Great video by the way, a true unboxing :lol: experience and a good chance for people to get a look at it if they haven't seen it.

• @Hmtx said:

@Daveypoo said:

I'm curious if you might try to set it up through a Powered USB hub and see if the input levels default to extremely low.

In my experience it is about -24db and I have to manually boost the channels in AB3 or AUM. The sound is superb, just... very quiet.

Great video by the way, a true unboxing :lol: experience and a good chance for people to get a look at it if they haven't seen it.

Yeah - I'm definitely one for the unfiltered experience....

I do have this hooked up through a powered hub and have experienced no issues. I've really only been using apeMatrix so far, though, so I'll have to see how it is when I go to Cubasis or AUM.

• I can confirm my UMC1820 is working great with Cubasis, Auria Pro likes to reduce it by default, but it’s easily corrected by just holding the Rec/Mon button, then increasing the input volume. I haven’t tried it yet with a powered hub, hoping to get the ADA8200 soon to add another 8 Midas Inputs.

• @knewspeak said:
    I can confirm my UMC1820 is working great with Cubasis, Auria Pro likes to reduce it by default, but it’s easily corrected by just holding the Rec/Mon button, then increasing the input volume. I haven’t tried it yet with a powered hub, hoping to get the ADA8200 soon to add another 8 Midas Inputs.

This is good news! Please can you confirm that it works with AUM?
    I have the ADA8200 expander already (from a different project) and am looking to get the UMC1820 to set these two up with IOS if compatible. (but the manual for the UMC1820 only says Mac compatible not class compliant)

Cheers

• @no1normal said:

@knewspeak said:
    I can confirm my UMC1820 is working great with Cubasis, Auria Pro likes to reduce it by default, but it’s easily corrected by just holding the Rec/Mon button, then increasing the input volume. I haven’t tried it yet with a powered hub, hoping to get the ADA8200 soon to add another 8 Midas Inputs.

I have the ADA8200 expander already (from a different project) and am looking to get the UMC1820 to set these two up with IOS if compatible. (but the manual for the UMC1820 only says Mac compatible not class compliant)

Cheers

I’ll check it out later with AUM and let you know how it goes, I am going to pick up the ADA8200 in the near future, it’s class compliant tried it with my iPad 4, Mini Retina and Pro 10.5 all inputs and outputs are available. It’s a bargain at £166. I tested using 4 Mono inputs so far with FX on each channel iPad Pro had no problem and fairly low latency.

• edited January 2019

@no1normal said:

@knewspeak said:

A little side note:
    Class compliant doesn't mean that you'l see all inputs normally available with a native driver.
    Example: Even on an 8-channel class compliant A/D/A with ADAT I/O, you might only see the 8 analog channels when operating in class compliant mode.

• @Daveypoo said:

@Hmtx said:

@Daveypoo said:

Yeah - I'm definitely one for the unfiltered experience....

I do have this hooked up through a powered hub and have experienced no issues. I've really only been using apeMatrix so far, though, so I'll have to see how it is when I go to Cubasis or AUM.

Hey Dave,

If you are doing a follow up video, can you please do a bit on recording mono inputs into Apematrix and AUM?
    (I'm not familiar with recording audio in Apematrix)

It's probably user error on my part, but when trying to set up the UMCHD404 with 4 mono inputs into AUM, the input signal on channels 1 and 2 were being doubled. The inputs were also hard panned left and right unless you press the mono button.

Somewhere on the behringer forum there's an old response from their user support to a similar query where they pretty much said the unit isn't designed to be a mixer, the panning was normal for monitoring in headphones.
    There was also mention of certain apps/programs automatically routing inputs to the main outputs.

I'm trying to listen on monitors connected to the xlr outs when recording 4 mono synths into AUM.
    With the panning, I guess the only option is to listen to them in mono mode while recording, mute all the channels in AUM (which was probably the doubling issue) and then change the monitoring for playback, (but that makes me thing I can't play back internal sounds at the same time.
    Maybe I should just watch Audiodabblers extensive monitoring overview :D

I'm using it with a powered hub and haven't heard any static yet, but will have to have to examine the waveforms after recording.

Cheers

• @rs2000 said:

@no1normal said:

@knewspeak said:

A little side note:
    Class compliant doesn't mean that you'l see all inputs normally available with a native driver.
    Example: Even on an 8-channel class compliant A/D/A with ADAT I/O, you might only see the 8 analog channels when operating in class compliant mode.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about tbh.

knewspeak .. Maybe you wanna check it out the if all the ADAT inputs show up first ;)

It would be crazy to have all those inputs on IOS. I'm using my Iphone 7plus at the moment as my IPad Pro got nicked out of my car in a Tesco car park.

Obvious advice to all but.... Never leave a rucksack on your passenger seat... even if you're only popping in to buy a lightbulb.... Painful lesson and not covered by insurance.

End of rant

Cheers

• edited January 2019

@Daveypoo Playbackoutputs lets you route out 4 mono channel - i often use channel 3/4 out to my camera.
    guess there many ways

@thepinkelefant routing audio back in is possible via direct monitoring on MAC/ios/win
    thats what i know tried on mac/ios

• @Daveypoo. Have you tried running an external microphone through a vocal processing app like VocaLive, VoiceJamStudio or even Mic Room?

• WOAH - SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!!!!! ;)

@no1normal You can play audio into apeMatrix with the UMC but you need an app to be able to "record" the audio to play back, and I'm not sure what you'd use. I'm playing around with using iDensity as an AUv3, but I haven't done too much with it.

Inputs 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 can be set up as individual inputs or stereo pairs. And yes - the interface is not intended to be a mixer, so the separate mono channels will present as only Left or only Right channels. This is standard in my experience with these types of devices - you have to assign the input on the iPad to where you want it. I don't have monitors hooked up at the moment (long story) so I haven't played too much with the outputs - I'm only using the headphone out at the moment.

@panthera Yes - I couldn't think of how to verbalize with all the unboxing craziness, but as soon as I thought about it for a second it all made sense.

@Ben - yes, I've been running a mic into apeMatrix and been using DerVoco for vocoder sounds. Not done too much more yet.

I've got a video coming in a week that'll talk more about using the UMC in apeMatrix. It'll be incorporated into what I do moving forward, so as I discover things I'll make sure to add them. If there's enough interest, I can clean up the desk and do an actual "hooking up to the ipad" video for the UMC

• Looking forward to the ‘plugging in’ video.

• encenc
    edited January 2019

UMC 404 with Cubasis on ipad and TR8

• edited February 2019

@no1normal said:

@knewspeak said:

Cheers

Yes All inputs appear as mono and stereo pairs in AUM and all outputs too, I haven’t tested them all, but the several I have tested are working fine.

@rs2000 thanks for the heads up about the ADAT behaviour in class compliant mode, do you have personal experience of this behaviour.

• edited February 2019

@knewspeak said:

@no1normal said:

@knewspeak said:

Cheers

Yes All inputs appear as mono and stereo pairs in AUM and all outputs too, I haven’t tested them all, but the several I have tested are working fine.

@rs2000 thanks for the heads up about the ADAT behaviour in class compliant mode, do you have personal experience of this behaviour.

Yes, I've tried attaching the ADAT optical out to the ADAT input of the UAC8 and without doing further research, it didn't work in class-compliant mode. The ADAT inputs did not appear at all.
    It wasn't really a problem for me because being able to record on 8 channels simultaneously and playback on 10 channels is more than enough for me already.
    Of course, in the UAC8's classic mode, all 18 inputs work fine on Win and Mac.

Edit: It seems like the UMC1820 supports all input channels in class compliant mode.
    Search this forum for more comments.

• @rs2000 said:

@knewspeak said:

@no1normal said:

@knewspeak said:

Cheers

Yes, I've tried attaching the ADAT optical out to the ADAT input of the UAC8 and without doing further research, it didn't work in class-compliant mode. The ADAT inputs did not appear at all.
    It wasn't really a problem for me because being able to record on 8 channels simultaneously and playback on 10 channels is more than enough for me already.
    Of course, in the UAC8's classic mode, all 18 inputs work fine on Win and Mac.

Edit: It seems like the UMC1820 supports all input channels in class compliant mode.
    Search this forum for more comments.

Cheers for the quick reply, yes I’ll do a good search as well.

• If I want to resample I should be able to run an output into an input? You can mix which inputs you are monitoring on the headphones?