Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Streetlytron ‘63 Edition

Comments

• I just bought. History in your pocket.

The manual references a “pro” version, and Sopranoton 2.

• I’m confused by the pro edition too. Saw it in the app description but no app. Is that a desktop product?

• edited January 2019

Dang. Will buy as soon as this '63/Pro version gets sorted out. Hopefully the pro isn't more than $20. I sent them an email via their contact page and their email link so I'll post back.

• edited January 2019

From the Twitter page, Pro version is to follow "soon" (full 35 chromatic samples with 8 instead of 5 second loop) and an AUv3 update is in the plans (assuming for both, dunno though).

@rezidue

• Email Update:

Hi

Pro will be with us hopefully before the end of Feb, so if you want the full feature mellotron - 35 chromatic samples, unlooped 8s as an option, plus the Caitlin (Soprano) and Clare (articulated violin) samples, hang on for a month. It will be £19.99 (same in USD), but it isn’t THAT big an increment as the separate Caitlin / Clare app will be 6.99.

One warning - the Pro may end up too physically big (from a memory footprint perspective) to run on iPad 2 and iPad Mini 1, so if you are using a really old device this is the one for you.

cheers

Phil

• That’s quite tempting as I don’t have any Mellotron apps. Are there any demos up?

• edited January 2019

@MonzoPro said:
    That’s quite tempting as I don’t have any Mellotron apps. Are there any demos up?

Their youtube has a one-minute video, but I'll vouch for the quality. Went ahead and bought it and have been experimenting with it since the Pro's not gonna give me anything I really need. But just like the M3000, which I gladly payed half price ($35) for, they're the best thing going for a Mellotron. No glitches at all so far, and AU supposedly coming. For $10 and you having no alternatives it's a steal.

It's worth it just for the 'Harry Vibes' and 'Harry Elec Gtr' tapes for me.

• Also, crank the reverb send to 100% and the space to 100% for fun (adjust the tone, aka low pass filter to taste). Pretty solid on-board reverb.

• @oat_phipps said:

@MonzoPro said:
    That’s quite tempting as I don’t have any Mellotron apps. Are there any demos up?

Their youtube has a one-minute video, but I'll vouch for the quality. Went ahead and bought it and have been experimenting with it since the Pro's not gonna give me anything I really need. But just like the M3000, which I gladly payed half price ($35) for, they're the best thing going for a Mellotron. No glitches at all so far, and AU supposedly coming. For $10 and you having no alternatives it's a steal.

Is there any difference between this and the M3000? Seems very cheap in comparison..

• edited January 2019

@MonzoPro said:

@oat_phipps said:

@MonzoPro said:

Is there any difference between this and the M3000? Seems very cheap in comparison..

To be honest, I think they're the same, which is why I sprung for the cheaper new one instead of waiting for the Pro. I'm 99% positive the tapes are the same, and a scan between the two reveals no different sounds OTHER than the Sopranotron tracks and Clare Violin tracks. It's basically an updated, more stable app. I'd even go so far as to saying if they leave the M3000 in the store, then they're ripping people off once this Pro version and Sopranotron 2 come out.

The only thing different in the old (M3000) Pro version is you can turn sample loop off. In the new (Streetly) version, sample loop is locked and samples are 5 seconds. In the new Streetly pro, samples are fully chromatic, not just minor thirds then stretched, and they are 8 seconds with the option to turn loop off. Big whoop. I'm guessing they learned their lesson trying to charge $75 for an app (original non-sale price) and want a fresh start.

• Thanks for following up with this info.

• @oat_phipps said:

@MonzoPro said:

@oat_phipps said:

@MonzoPro said:

To be honest, I think they're the same, which is why I sprung for the cheaper new one instead of waiting for the Pro. I'm 99% positive the tapes are the same, and a scan between the two reveals no different sounds OTHER than the Sopranotron tracks and Clare Violin tracks. It's basically an updated, more stable app. I'd even go so far as to saying if they leave the M3000 in the store, then they're ripping people off once this Pro version and Sopranotron 2 come out.

The only thing different in the old (M3000) Pro version is you can turn sample loop off. In the new (Streetly) version, sample loop is locked and samples are 5 seconds. In the new Streetly pro, samples are fully chromatic, not just minor thirds then stretched, and they are 8 seconds with the option to turn loop off. Big whoop. I'm guessing they learned their lesson trying to charge $75 for an app (original non-sale price) and want a fresh start.

Brilliant, thanks for that - sounds like I’d be daft to miss this one then :smile:

• Is the Inter App Audio compatible with Audio and MIDI tracks ?
    The M3000 only appears in Audio track in Cubasis

• @oat_phipps said:
    In the new (Streetly) version, sample loop is locked and samples are 5 seconds. In the new Streetly pro, samples are fully chromatic, not just minor thirds then stretched, and they are 8 seconds with the option to turn loop off.

Good info, thank you. Not being a purist, think I'd actually prefer the smaller, looped version.

Current app is 272 MB. Graphics look pretty minimal (in terms of rasterized images that take a lot of space) so for guestimate's sake, let's say the current version ships with 200mb of samples.

If they're 5/8 the length of the pro version samples, that would bump the pro version's size up to 320mb. (200/5)*8. Then, multiply that by 3 (sample every minor third vs sample every note) and the pro version could be close to 1Gig.

Rough guess, obviously.

• Going to stick with the M3000 and Sopranotron as is/were, but AU would take my money in less than a moment....

• One more thing...the ability to tune the instrument slotted in B is a very welcome feature for those wanting to use the almighty Harry's electric guitar. A small thing, but important nonetheless.

• Two more things:
    they mention that midi control is much extended ('every feature of the app accessible...')
    The pad section of is left out.
    On the original you could record multiple keypresses (one after the other) to a pad that played them back as a chord.

• Works well in AB3 with Autony driving.

• Will def be interested once this goes AU. Cheering the developer on. Cornwall represent!

• Absolutely love it ... nearly every sample is beautiful. Only issue I’ve had is with [Brass] Harry Open Trombone suffers from very bad distortion in the lower octaves. - just the default settings, lower keyboard is unplayable with that one patch. Everything else seems to work great, except for on occasion the onscreen keyboard is unresponsive, but I’ve that occasionally happens in other music apps on my ipad pro.

• edited January 2019

So many versions of the same thing... I got M3000, it’s OK... but I have had little use of it yet

• edited January 2019

So err what's the deal with M3000 and the explorer edition? I was kind of peeved shelling out for M3000HD when it was buggy as hell and had very limited sounds.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    The Pro edition is now in store by the way.

What’s going on? What are all these variations? How are they different? Which one is the best? Why don’t they make an AU? Is there an AU? So many questions. I’m tired. I’m going to bed. Good night.

• edited February 2019

Hmm, didn't know about the pro edition until after I bought this, but I don't think I'll be missing much, it seems that the only thing added is the Sopranotron, Fiddle and St Just in Rose organ tapes, along with the 8 second mode.

Not worth the extra $10+ in my opinion, especially If you have their first attempt, or Super Manetron or the recent Mellowsound app by Fingerlab.

In case anyone is curious about the differences; I have them all, and will attempt to explain the, um... differences.

The original Omenie app has the most extensive collection, though I find the more staccato sounds to be a little pointless as you often can barely tell it's from a Mellotron.

On that note, I must say that sonically I prefer the dirtier, wobblier sound of the Manetron, which also has a knob for mixing in the mechanical noise, and which I was really hoping they would release as an AU, which they did for their string machine app (which is surprisingly good and super stable).
    The Fingerlab app was the most lightweight, but also sounded the cleanest, as well as only having 10 sounds or so.

This new version is a happy medium, and I have found it to be super solid so far. The things it does better than its predecessor:

-Way better midi support

-4 different tunings, which can be changed to best fit the key you are playing in

-The aforementioned adjustable pitch for the B voice, which allows you to blend voices or can be used as a chorus effect if you double the chosen sample

-An optional EQ that emulates the original speaker, and sounds much better to my ears, especially when used with

-1/2 speed mode, which is lovely for those warped string and woodwind sounds

-Much improved reverb, which switches into "Woolly" mode, which is apparently based on the guy from the prog band Barclay James Harvest. Must confess I have not heard them, but the reverb is great.

-The app is now universal, which is a bonus

• It's apparently going to be an AU at some point.

• The price is great considering it is nearly everything from the first app. I personally won't miss the Sopranotron tapes, and if you really want the authentic 8 second loop "feature", I say go and get the Manetron, which has the sound of the tape rewinding as well. Also, I believe you can get it and the basic Steelytron for less than the pro.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, just thought it might help answer some questions people have about the various Mellotron options available to us at the moment.

• -Way better midi support

I just got Mellotronics Streetlytron Pro and there is no midi in inside AUM and Audiobus 3.
    :'(

• @SashaPonkratov said:

-Way better midi support

I just got Mellotronics Streetlytron Pro and there is no midi in inside AUM and Audiobus 3.
    :'(

@SashaPonkratov Did it not show up in the AUM midi matrix as per the standard edition?

• Thank you. I found it in AUM midi route.

I think that something is wrong with it, as it doesn’t have the usual midi source selection button to the left of the channel strip

• Hi there - the reason for this is that it's an AudioBus audio app, not an AudioBus MIDI app. As in, it doesn't use AudioBus to deliver its MIDI. Basically I figured there was no point what with AUv3 on its way ... but if it's needed - and if you can point out the use-cases that it can't do the way it is right now - then keep nagging me and it may end up in a future refresh, if and when I can fit it in - AUv3 is the highest priority item right now.

@SashaPonkratov said:
    Thank you. I found it in AUM midi route.

I think that something is wrong with it, as it doesn’t have the usual midi source selection button to the left of the channel strip

• Harry Open Trombone and Harry Piano both have weird noise issues that were historic word clock weirdness in Streetly's setup that didn't get caught. Refresh with Apple right now to fix those, and to try to fix the tuning. But let's face it, it's a mellotron, so tuning will always be 'interesting'

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:
    Absolutely love it ... nearly every sample is beautiful. Only issue I’ve had is with [Brass] Harry Open Trombone suffers from very bad distortion in the lower octaves. - just the default settings, lower keyboard is unplayable with that one patch. Everything else seems to work great, except for on occasion the onscreen keyboard is unresponsive, but I’ve that occasionally happens in other music apps on my ipad pro.