Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Quantum midi sequencer midi learn questions

edited January 2019 in General App Discussion

Hey so I’m late to the game on this one, but wow, what a fantastic sequencer.

Anyway, I’m trying to map some controllers to it, and I’m a bit confused. Can’t get relative control to work for the sliders. Alternatively can’t get pickup to work for the sliders. Is there a manual for this thing? I’ve read the QuickStart guide but it doesn’t cover everything I’m seeing on the screen.

Thanks

Comments

• Basically can’t figure out any of the options in “learn” mode. There’s also one that says “active” ant the text reads “only midi channel one is used” or “ each seq uses its own channel” but with either setting engaged, it doesn’t differentiate between midi channels at all. So a CC 001 on Ch one Is mapped to the first slider, a CC 001 on Ch two will also move it.

• Ok! I got bidirectional control sorted out with some judicious use of midiflow to actually look at what it was sending out. Now my only question is how to midi map a way to switch between sequences. There is a midi learn area to select sequence one, but none for any following sequences I add.

This thing is so amazing. It’s without question one of the best performance sequencers I have ever used. The parts feature is such a game changer.

• It's incredible, isn't it! Such a deep sequencer. Anyway, I'm not up on all the midi controller aspects. @midiSequencer is the developer so he might be able to help.

• edited January 2019

Did not mean to hijack your thread... But, Quantum needs an update for the iPhone XR..

• Because midi ccs are limited, you need to select the sequence you want to control first (6 cc positions just under page button) then the sequence type cc mappings (eg play, stop, transpose etc) work on the selected sequence. same applies to faders (select the sequence parameter first then the faders relate to that parameter).

In reality though, if you want true control without selections, use NRPN midi messages( which are basically two ccs) : these allow you control the individual settings per part so provide a more uniform & better access).

Let me know if you want the mappings?

• hey, thanks for the response, and the app, it's great.

I'm not seeing 6 cc positions under the page button, just three. One for select seq 1, one for mute, and one for solo. when i add sequences, there's no midi learn available on them.

Another thing i ran into is that while the learned cc.s for tempo, start, end, play mode, transpose do follow part a,b,c,d, they don't output cc when switching between parts.

I am interested in the NRPN mappings. Can i use them along with the learned CC mappings?

• edited January 2019

@muffin the 6 are horizontally layed out (just below the 4 for the page).
    Ccs should output if you enable Output button in Learn & also in Devices/midi out page (send midi for...out) - the devices is there to help you only output to your chosen external equipment(eg yamaha console).
    I will dig out the list of nrpn codes, yes you can use them with midi ccs

• Nice! Ok I see the sequence select ccs now. Thanks!

Yes I have the cc output working perfectly for the mutifaders, but not for tempo, start, end, etc. when switching between parts.

• @midiSequencer said:
    @muffin the 6 are horizontally layed out (just below the 4 for the page).
    Ccs should output if you enable Output button in Learn & also in Devices/midi out page (send midi for...out) - the devices is there to help you only output to your chosen external equipment(eg yamaha console).
    I will dig out the list of nrpn codes, yes you can use them with midi ccs

Are these NRPN mapping’s available?

I fancy diggin in to midi-learning Quantum this evening.

Cheers.

• @SpookyZoo

Note: NRPNs are absolute values only - no Scaling or Relative (those only work on Learnt CCs)
    0,1,c PlayControls where c is 0=stop, 1=play, 2=pause, 3=reset. All other values ignore.
    0,2,c Transpose x where x= c-64. So valid input range is 40..88 to represent -24..24 range in Quantum. Outside this range will be clamped
    0,3,c,d Tempo x bpm where x = c+d*128 - so 14bit but clamped to range 1..240.
    0,4,c Song mode c where c= 0=All,1=Link,2=Solo,3=Pick,4=Free,5=Poly. All other values ignore.
    0,5,c,d Time Signature c/d where c=1..16 and d=2,4,8,16,32,64. All other values ignored(so both c & d must be valid).
    0,6,c Song Volume c where c=0%..100%. All other values ignored
    0,7,c Metronome where c is 0=off, 1+=on
    0,8,c Link Fader control where c=off, 1+=on
    0,9,c Midi Out where c is 0=off, 1+=on
    0,10,c Cycle where c is 0=off, 1+=on
    0,11,c Record In where c is 0=off, 1=chords, 2=steps
    0,12,c Audition where c is 0=off, 1+=on
    0,13,c Song Mute where c is 0=off, 1+=on
    0,14 Song Solo (will act like solo button press)
    0,15,c Shift sequence Left/Right c steps where c>0 for shift right, c<0 for shift left. Only c = -1,0 & 1 considered. Works best on Rel mode. Cycle mode will delay shift until next loop
    0,16,c,d Main Screen faders - where c = fader 1..fader 16. d=value 0..127 (but may be altered - e.g. notes in a scale)
    0,17,c Mixer Panel page 0=1..12, 1+=13..24 - only if currently visible
    0,18,c,d Mixer Panel fader c=1..24 for consequetive sequence part, d=0..100 (for 0..100% volume) - only applied if valid seq part
    So if Seq1 has 3 parts, Seq 2 has 2 values for c are (1=S1P1,2=S1P2,3=S1P3,4=S2P1,5=S2P2 all other values ignored)
    0,19,c Tempo x bpm where x = c - so 7bit but clamped to range 1..127.
    0,20,c Select Range c where c is 0(1..16),1=(17..32),2=(18..48),3=(49..64) - if valid (i.e. has to be a sequence of that length)

----- Sequence/Part parameters
    x,y,c,d Sequence a Part b where x=a4+b (so 5=Seq1A,6=Seq1B..8=Seq1D,5=Seq2A, etc.. 28=Seq6D)
    x,0 Seq/Part x Part Select (ABCD buttons of sequence a)
    x,1,c Seq/Part x Tempo Division, where c=Tempo division (1=1/1 etc)
    x,2,c Seq/Part x Start Step, where c=step 1..64 only. If >end step, will clamp to endStep.
    x,3,c Seq/Part x End Step, where c=step 1..64 only. If seq length will clamp to that(e.g. 16)
    x,4,c Seq/Part x loop type (0=FWD,1=F+1,2=F+2,3=F+3,4=F+4,5=F+5,6=F+6,7=F+7,8=REV,9=BNC,10=BN
    ,11=RND,12=RND,12=BWN,13=F1,14=STP)
    x,5,c Seq/Part x play/stop c is 0=stop, 1=play, 2=pause, 3=reset. All other values ignore.
    x,6,c Seq/Part x transpose c where c= c-64. So valid input range is 40..88 to represent -24..24 range in Quantum. Outside this range will be clamped
    x,7,c Seq/Part x volume c where c=0%..100%. All other values ignored
    x,8,c Seq/Part x invert c where c=0 for OFF, 1+=ON
    x,9,c,d Seq/Part x reflect + key c where c=0 for OFF, 1+ for ON. and the key d=0..127 for note c-2 to g8
    x,10,c Seq/Part x override channel where c=0(use step), 1..16 (override to this value for all steps)
    x,11,c Seq/Part x Timewarp navigator where c=0(OFF), 1+(ON)
    x,12,c,d Seq/Part x Accent Beat where c=0(OFF),1+(ON) and d=value (if on)0..100
    x,13,d,e Seq/Part x Time Signature d+e where d=1..16, e=2,4,8,16,32,64
    x,14,c,d Seq/Part x Step Mute where step = c (1..64) where d=0 is off, 1=on
    x,15,c,d Seq/Part x Step note where step = c (1..64) and d=note value (0..127)
    x,16,c,d Seq/Part x Step vel where step = c (1..64) and d=velocity value (0..127)
    x,17,c,d Seq/Part x Step gate% where step = c (1..64) and d=gate% value (0..127)
    x,18,c,d Seq/Part x Step swing% where step = c (1..64) and d=swing% value (0..50)
    x,19,c,d Seq/Part x Step probability% where step = c (1..64) and d=probability% value (0..100)
    x,20,c,d Seq/Part x Step humanise% where step = c (1..64) and d=humanise% value (0..100)
    x,21,c,d Seq/Part x Step humanise Note where step = c (1..64) and d=note value (0..127)
    x,22,c,d Seq/Part x Step humanise velocity where step = c (1..64) and d=velocity value (0..127)
    x,23,c,d Seq/Part x Step time division where step = c (1..64) and d=time division value (0..127)

• Can't believe I hadn't midi-learned Quantum up till now. Awesome fun!

Holding back my Squarp Pyramid GAS. :)

• @midiSequencer said:

----- Sequence/Part parameters
    x,y,c,d Sequence a Part b where x=a*4+b (so 5=Seq1A,6=Seq1B..8=Seq1D, 5=Seq2A, etc.. 28=Seq6D)

Should Seq2A = 9 here, rather than 5?

I think I get it, but just checking.

• @midiSequencer said:
    @SpookyZoo yes, my bad

Cool. I got a few of the NRPNs assigned and working last night. Great stuff.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@midiSequencer said:
    @SpookyZoo yes, my bad

Cool. I got a few of the NRPNs assigned and working last night. Great stuff.

who needs a Pyramid anyway ;)

• Happy Birthday @midiSequencer

I'm having more Quantum fun today. Cheers!

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Happy Birthday @midiSequencer

I'm having more Quantum fun today. Cheers!

thx :)

• @midiSequencer Any reports from anybody that has mapped a BCR2000. One paper they seem a match made in heaven.

I use a couple here, one permanently set up via the excellent NativeKontrol Arsenal scripts to Ableton but the other sits gathering dust so it might be worth an afternoons work if the reports are good.

• @jonmoore said:
    @midiSequencer Any reports from anybody that has mapped a BCR2000. One paper they seem a match made in heaven.

I use a couple here, one permanently set up via the excellent NativeKontrol Arsenal scripts to Ableton but the other sits gathering dust so it might be worth an afternoons work if the reports are good.

yes - I've coded Quantum to allow mapping via ccs for this. Quantum can send & receive midi data for controls so you can use Quantum screen or the controller to change both.

One beta tester in particular (craig morgan) setup two of the fader versions for these.

I can dig out the details for you if you wish?

• @midiSequencer

That would be great. On paper, they look a good match, especially if the LEDs are able to indicate the position in Quantum.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

• @jonmoore said:
    @midiSequencer

That would be great. On paper, they look a good match, especially if the LEDs are able to indicate the position in Quantum.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

Did you get this working with the BCR?

• edited January 2021

• @midiSequencer I tried to get this working today. I don’t have a controller with NRPN, only MIDI CCs. I’d like to change the start and end loop point of all sequences together. Is this possible?

• @trevormeier said:
    @midiSequencer I tried to get this working today. I don’t have a controller with NRPN, only MIDI CCs. I’d like to change the start and end loop point of all sequences together. Is this possible?

Yes, Press Learn then either enter a CC for the Start &/or End, or detect a CC from your midi attached controller

• @midiSequencer said:

Yes, Press Learn then either enter a CC for the Start &/or End, or detect a CC from your midi attached controller

Hey Tony! Hope you're keeping well?