Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Rhythmic gating MIDI effect as AUv3?

In this picture:

I have two instruments heading into these effects and Loopy. And I want to have only iSEM affected by a rhythmic gating effect. I should note that I LOVE Perforator and it would be perfect for this, but that would require me creating a second channel/routing to isolate iSEM and that would end up being too taxing on my CPU usage since I would also want it running through all the AUv3s you see there.

So I'm wondering if perhaps I can do this on Audiobus's MIDI tab, between my instrument and iSEM, with some sort of AUv3 MIDI effect:

Does such an app exist? Rhythmic gating of MIDI notes in time with Ableton Link?

Comments

• edited January 2019

MIDI Tools: De-Ghost allows you to do rhythmic gate shifting based on note ons/offs. Check this video at 2:08: (should work the same in any host).

An alternative way of doing it is using velocity or CC messages, which is an interesting thought.

Not sure if this is what you're after. If not, tell me more about you see this working with MIDI ;)

• oghhh that is way cool. thanks for the vid. do you know, will this app be coming to iphone as well?> @blueveek said:

MIDI Tools: De-Ghost allows you to do rhythmic gate shifting based on note ons/offs. Check this video at 2:08: (should work the same in any host).

An alternative way of doing it is using velocity or CC messages, which is an interesting thought.

Not sure if this is what you're after. If not, tell me more about you see this working with MIDI ;)

• edited January 2019

@blueveek said:

This is pretty cool, but it looks like this will only do even rhythms. So more than one instance must be used in order to achieve a complex rhythm, and then it will only be able to be a polyrhyhtm (i.e. no even subdivisions within a single rhythmic figure).

Man, Perforator is actually exactly what I'm looking for... And i see that it has MIDI out, but I'm not being able to find it as a MIDI source for controlling the volume knob in iSEM (which is what I imagine I would have to do in order to achieve the effect I'm looking for.)

• If you have AUM you can set up iSEM with Perforator effect and route it to Audiobus in the output slot.
    In Audiobus just add AUM as your second instrument input instead of iSEM and all of the AUv3
    effects you’re using will still affect both synths, but only iSEM will have the gate.
    Just tested it, works if your device can handle it.

• Sounds like a job for streambyter :)
    Maybe if you ask in the forum, Nic might be able to work out a script.

• @_mwallace said:
    If you have AUM you can set up iSEM with Perforator effect and route it to Audiobus in the output slot.
    In Audiobus just add AUM as your second instrument input instead of iSEM and all of the AUv3
    effects you’re using will still affect both synths, but only iSEM will have the gate.

This. And AUM will do more as well. But the routing is top notch and you can use Audiobus in it!!

• @cnsg_music Here is a mono screen recording of my solution above.
    I’m using StepPolyArp Unit instead of the keyboard in your example, but keyboard would have the same result.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tupjo0rm8tsuyob/Video Jan 25, 4 58 18 AM.mp4?dl=0

• edited January 2019

It's a simple job in apeMatrix too to control a volume knob with Perforator which creates the nice gating effect.
    Here I've got riffer sequencing Aparillo and perforator controlling the volume knob in Aparillo. (rather than using it as an audio effect). Same style as in AUM.

I'm definitely interested in a streambyter script which could use this Perforator output to chop up the midi data rather than use the volume knob, would be interesting, so hopefully there's a simple script available. Or I might follow that up myself sometime :)

• @_mwallace said:
    If you have AUM you can set up iSEM with Perforator effect and route it to Audiobus in the output slot.

Alas, I really want to be able to use AB3's ability to 'Switch' to the app, so I want to keep it loaded here instead of AUM.

I am hoping perhaps with an AB3 update that will improve its new MidiLearn capabilities, making it possible to specify source and/or CC values/channel without just assigning via MidiLearn, then I may be able to do this with just Perforator's MIDI out functionality.

• Yeah I think Michael has said midi learn will get more options for source at some point, I want that too :)

• Appreciate everyone's help though! AUM is great for its bussing ability and MIDI routing is well thought out. But man, moving onto AB3 as my primary host has been a game changer, and for my live setups I should really have everything set up with only one host, to keep CPU usage as low as possible.

• @Carnbot said:
    Sounds like a job for streambyter :)

Can you really create StreamByter script that is in time with Ableton Link? Woah :open_mouth:

• @cnsg_music said:

@Carnbot said:

Can you really create StreamByter script that is in time with Ableton Link? Woah :open_mouth:

Yes sure, as it's an AU it will sync to the host clock which is timed with Link.

I agree though about trying to do everything in one host. Combining hosts is useful for certain workarounds but I wouldn't also combine hosts live.

• @Carnbot said:

@cnsg_music said:

@Carnbot said:

Yes sure, as it's an AU it will sync to the host clock which is timed with Link.

I agree though about trying to do everything in one host. Combining hosts is useful for certain workarounds but I wouldn't also combine hosts live.

Hey, can I ask you really quick: I am about to purchase StreamByter (been a MidiFlow user for a year now, but I want more capability!), and I would like to know if StreamByter can do all that MidiFire can do? Is StreamByter lighter on CPU or is the difference negligible? Also, can StreamByter be loaded as an AU in between my controller and its assigned instrument on AB3's MIDI tab? See pic:

Thank you very much!

• Streambyter is a part of Midifire so you can do most of it yes (as far as I know). Except it's not as user friendly. Midifire is basically a host itself for Streambyter modules. Whereas you'd use other hosts with the Streambyter AU.

Yes you can use it as an AU effect in Audiobus :)

• Not sure about CPU with Streambyter, depends on what you're getting it to do, but I've not noticed any problems (using an ipad pro).

• In an AB3 centered setup you'll want SB as shown above and then to get acquainted with the Audeonic forum where you can get help with your scripting needs. Some of the Midifire GUI modules outside of SB have similar functionality overlap with the MIDI tools AU FX that audioveek just released. Might be worth grabbing at $.99

• And of course creating unlimited virtual ports in SB is not a problem right? Virtual ports in MidiFlow was a total game changer for my MIDI routing capabilities.

• edited January 2019

hmm, I don't think you can create virtual ports with Streambyter. It's a midi effect. So it manipulates incoming midi. It also can generate midi too so doesn't always need an input.

In use, the host handles the ports. Same when using SB in Midifire or as an AU in Audiobus etc

• I appreciate your help @Carnbot !!

Have a ton more questions, but I'm sold. Time to get on SB and start messing around.