Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

No more Apps... Learn the Apps I own (or maybe buy hardware)

In 2019 I'm going to learn a few of the Apps I own. I have found out which Apps are really hard to learn and might start with one of them to teach myself to learn again.

These are the hard apps:
6 Beatmaker 3
6 SunVox
4 GrooveRider GR-16
3 Ravenscroft 275

I'm going to start with BeatMaker 3. I bought it to get the Ludwig Drums for $1 on Black Friday. Since then... I haven't started learning it. But still, Ludwig Drums were the gateway drug to this world of noise for me at 10 years old.

I'm going to use available the training materials starting with:

Do you have any training plans?

Comments

• Actually, yes. I’m going to train myself to actually make some music with the apps I like instead of obsessing about which apps I should be using just because other people think they’re amazing. From now on, nobody’s opinion matters but mine.

• @McD I have some plans to actually make music this year but if there are any questions on BM3 let me know. Not that I am an expert but I know it pretty well. Maybe we can chat it up and I can find out what exactly is needed and I can fill that void with some more focused videos.

@Beathoven I know the feeling. I own a lot of apps and know them pretty well but usually get caught up in long ambient doodle sessions or getting lost in spacecraft with a sample of water flowing and a whistle. I want, not pop songs, but a little more structured tracks. Even ambient soundtracks for movies have a certain structure.

• @McD said:
    In 2019 I'm going to learn a few of the Apps I own. I have found out which Apps are really hard to learn and might start with one of them to teach myself to learn again.

These are the hard apps:
    6 Beatmaker 3
    6 SunVox
    4 GrooveRider GR-16
    3 Ravenscroft 275

I'm going to start with BeatMaker 3. I bought it to get the Ludwig Drums for $1 on Black Friday. Since then... I haven't started learning it. But still, Ludwig Drums were the gateway drug to this world of noise for me at 10 years old.

I'm going to use available the training materials starting with:

Do you have any training plans?

Not training, but determined to make some proper music with the apps I have now - in particular NS2.

• Wait, you are only 10 years old?

• edited January 2019

Yeah. Few apps are "planned" purchases for me (Drambo, Gadget upgrades) at this point. I've spent months trying to get a handle on my first ever hardware (other than MIDI controller) and it's thrown me off my game. Learned a lot, though. Just haven't finished any music.

Hard to integrate something new. It's only the 4th time or so in 25 years or whatever it's been.
    New to music (used samples only in a tracking program in DOS) -> +DAW+VSTs -> +iOS (w/DAW still) -> +hardware synth(s)

• I need to break down the hardware gear that I want to buy (or already own) and compare that with my iOS options (either available or that I have already) and determine what's most cost-effective. I'm interested in the Volca Modular, but I think I just saved a couple hundred bucks by getting Ripplemaker instead (thanks, Bram!). Also considering Ruismaker and Ruismaker FM as cheaper alternatives to the Volca Drum. On the other hand, I haven't found anything organ-wise that satisfies me in the same way my Yamaha Reface YC does, and I've got so many great patches on my Minilogue that I'll be hesitant to unload that anytime soon.

• edited January 2019

@McD Bm3 is easy as and to me super powerful . Each time I go to a new app to do my style of beats/90s hiphop heavy sampling I go back to bm3 ..it needs a few tweaks here and there but Ive done 50 pre production remixes in 12months with bm3..I was at a pitstop with my hardware Akai s950/MPC & ProTools for a long time was not getting creative..bm3 put me back in the zone quickly.
    Grooverider is good too but for full on complete production its bm3 for me ..was very easy to learn.

• @Beathoven said:
    Actually, yes. I’m going to train myself to actually make some music with the apps I like instead of obsessing about which apps I should be using just because other people think they’re amazing. From now on, nobody’s opinion matters but mine.

It sounds like I should listen to you! What apps do you use?

• @gmslayton said:
    if there are any questions on BM3 let me know.

Will do. I asked you for help with ApeMatrix and you did help within a week as I recall. I remember your BM3 Sampler demo as a main reason I made the leap to buy it.

I want more structured tracks. Even ambient soundtracks for movies have a certain structure.

I should follow this advice and do some planning for a track. At least a chord progression or something similar to improve the results of my recordings. I like the act of making the music but should have a roadmap for the country drives I take.

• @aquasloth said:
    I need to break down the hardware gear that I want to buy (or already own) and compare that with my iOS options (either available or that I have already) and determine what's most cost-effective. I'm interested in the Volca Modular, but I think I just saved a couple hundred bucks by getting Ripplemaker instead (thanks, Bram!). Also considering Ruismaker and Ruismaker FM as cheaper alternatives to the Volca Drum. On the other hand, I haven't found anything organ-wise that satisfies me in the same way my Yamaha Reface YC does, and I've got so many great patches on my Minilogue that I'll be hesitant to unload that anytime soon.

Don't forget the upcoming Drambo app, too (re: semi-modular).

• @vitocorleone123 said:
    Don't forget the upcoming Drambo app

How can I ever forget about Drambo... no one will let me.
    (Actually, it's like "Memento", I wake up everyday and read my Tattoos to figure out where the hell I am). Unfortuntely the tattoo artist thought I said Dumbo and I'm eager to see the new Tim Burton Movie.

• edited January 2019

@McD said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

(Actually, it's like "Memento", I wake up everyday and read my Tattoos to figure out where the hell I am). Unfortuntely the tattoo artist thought I said Dumbo and I'm eager to see the new Tim Burton Movie.

:D

Wait!

I thought your real name is McDrambo....

• @McD said:

@Beathoven said:
    Actually, yes. I’m going to train myself to actually make some music with the apps I like instead of obsessing about which apps I should be using just because other people think they’re amazing. From now on, nobody’s opinion matters but mine.

It sounds like I should listen to you! What apps do you use?

Too many.

@gmslayton said:

@Beathoven I know the feeling. I own a lot of apps and know them pretty well but usually get caught up in long ambient doodle sessions or getting lost in spacecraft with a sample of water flowing and a whistle. I want, not pop songs, but a little more structured tracks. Even ambient soundtracks for movies have a certain structure.

This is exactly my predicament. :D

• @vitocorleone123 said:

@McD said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

Wait!

Close. It's McDumbo.

• I stopped getting the latest shiny new apps a while back.
    The power at our hands these days is incredible.
    But, there’s a cut off point, where you have to start mastering what you have, otherwise, you’ll have many tools but you’re the master of nothing.
    In my head, I tell myself that the Beatles used a 4 track to record.
    I used a portable 4 track in the 90’s. Now I have a studio full of all I need, in my hand.
    These are great times for the home producer!

• @DefRobot said:
    I stopped getting the latest shiny new apps a while back.
    The power at our hands these days is incredible.
    But, there’s a cut off point, where you have to start mastering what you have, otherwise, you’ll have many tools but you’re the master of nothing.
    In my head, I tell myself that the Beatles used a 4 track to record.
    I used a portable 4 track in the 90’s. Now I have a studio full of all I need, in my hand.
    These are great times for the home producer!

I''m just waiting until all the apps running on my watch using a Beta neural implant that carries Audio and MIDI and wait for it...

EIEIO = Electronic Implants for Enhanced Input/Output

Marketing Tags Line: "Got Implants? Let's Jam."

I'd say more but NDA's prevent further disclosures.

• Did you tried musical bloc app (or whatever is called in english)? That app which cames with iOS itself... which does something similar to digitech trio+ for free and exports into garageband/logic?
    I’m still shocked...

About your plain I use BlocsWave mostly and only. I use scenes as song parts. The same about GTL for lives. Stagelight could take the King’s hat but only if midi learn comes.
    I have 2 or 3 workflows all of them easy and straightforward since music is procastination by itself.

So less is more. I don’t need BM3/NS2 complexity or power. I have Ableton/Logic for that duties but I use more garageband (iOS and desktop) over them. A matter of fun and enjoy.

• Hardware is like apps, but more expensive (a lot more expensive).

• @aquasloth said:
    On the other hand, I haven't found anything organ-wise that satisfies me in the same way my Yamaha Reface YC does

I've wanted one of those for a good while now, sounds amazing in the vids I've seen.....do you have Galileo ? If so how does it compare ?

• edited January 2019

I’d very much like to understand the PPG wavetable synths better. Same for iWavestation. The more complex synths on iOS can be deceptive, because they are such a bargain, that you expect them to be simple to learn.

Here are some apps that took some learning, that paid off:
    AnalogKit- probably the steepest learning curve, but if you get it you can build your own instruments and effects from scratch.
    Samplr
    Gadget- had to watch some videos to learn editing tricks with the sequencer.
    Patterning-easy to understand, but lots of details to get the most out of the kits, samples, song mode, midi mapping with controllers.
    Effectrix
    StepPolyArp- lots of cool options with the menu that pops up for individual notes, and pattern switching/song mode.
    AudioLayer- very cool to learn how to make multisampled instruments from your own sounds.
    Loopy HD
    Mersenne

• @McD ....Lordy, you're ten? And you have that terrible disease that ages prematurely.... It's all clear now. Especially why Ravenscroft 275 is on your list. I mean, it's a fucking piano!
    Get that off the list!

• @LinearLineman said:
    @McD ....Lordy, you're ten?

I wrote:

But still, Ludwig Drums were the gateway drug to this world of noise for me at 10 years old.

Drums were...the gateway... at 10.

I was 10 when I got my first Ludwig bass drum pedal to play with a cardboard box along with a Slingerland Snare drum. I have a soft spot for Ludwig Drums: The brand Ringo played. My first set was Camco which was the drummer's drum before Drum Workshop came along. I still had that Camco set until 2 years ago when I gave them to a Jazz Educator that bought my Petrof Grand. He is a drummer and knew what I was gifting to him. They are installed in his studio next to the Petrof.

Now I'm older but wiser. A real wise guy.

• @vitocorleone123 said:

@McD said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

Wait!

@vitocorleone123 said:

@McD said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

Wait!

hehe
    McRamble !

• You still haven't explained the RC275 on your list. It's on my list cause I'm lazy.

• @kinkujin said:
    McRamble !

Kinkujunk speaks but can't sing that Alphabet song. Sad.
    It's Mick-Dee. A-B-C-D-E-F-G... tell me what you think of me.
    or not. Too many words?

• @LinearLineman said:
    You still haven't explained the RC275 on your list. It's on my list cause I'm lazy.

That list is just the Top Apps from this thread:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30872/final-results-what-are-the-top-three-apps-you-wish-you-could-master#latest

The Forum picked it as an App they would like to learn to use better. Probably to improve their keyboarding skills which as you know is a "journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step". Usually a whole step.

It was not on my personal list. Too buggy in practice and "does not play well with others."

• @McD said:

@kinkujin said:
    McRamble !

Kinkujunk speaks but can't sing that Alphabet song. Sad.
    It's Mick-Dee. A-B-C-D-E-F-G... tell me what you think of me.
    or not. Too many words?

You’re right. I’m still adjusting to the Tracy drop.

• @kinkujin said:
    You’re right. I’m still adjusting to the Tracy drop.

It's been 2 years since I moved from Tracy.... I'm just a lazy asshole. I'll give you 2 more years then.

• @McD I’m interested to know what you find difficult about GR-16? I’ve been getting to know it quite a bit recently, and I was thinking about making some videos on using it, but I’d like to know what I would want to focus on to make it helpful.

• @Longskatedeath said:
    @McD I’m interested to know what you find difficult about GR-16? I’ve been getting to know it quite a bit recently, and I was thinking about making some videos on using it, but I’d like to know what I would want to focus on to make it helpful.

Sorry. I have created a thread asking which Apps people wanted to learn better and then summarized the results. The list I post here is the Top of that list and not indicative of Apps I own.

GR-16 ended up near the top. I personally don't own it. There are 2 DAW/Groove Makers I haven't bought (yet). GR-16 and NS2.
    The pressure to get NS2 is building on me to get to the Obsidian(sp?) synth and the sampler. I think I have all the others.

To focus you training for the right audience I would create a new thread and ask your question. You'll get input fast.