Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GarageBand update speculation!

Had a lull at work so I tried to speculate on any upcoming GarageBand updates. GarageBand currently sits at version 2.3.7 and is just about due for a significant update, most likely to 2.4. Let's looks at some past updates and release dates:

2.1 introduced Live Loops and the Drummer feature, as well as Simple EQ and Compressor settings, 32-track recording upgrade, bass amps, and AUv3 instrument support. It was released on Wednesday, January 20th, 2016, a day before the 2016 NAMM show.

2.2 introduced the Alchemy instrument, a redesigned sound browser, AUv3 effects support, Multi-take recording, and the Visual EQ plugin. It was released Wednesday, January 18th, 2017, a day before the 2017 NAMM show.

2.3 introduced the new Sound Library feature to download additional sounds and loops, 3 more drummers, new world instruments from China and Japan, 24-bit recording, and the new Beat Sequencer. It was released Wednesday, November 1st, 2017 (not before NAMM 2018).

So it's a little over a year since the last significant update, and we didn't see an update yesterday prior to NAMM, disappointingly.

But wait! Could the new update be tied to a new product launch? Apple has launched iPad models over the last several years in March, and in earlier years GarageBand updates were tied to new iPad releases (If I remember, GarageBand for iOS was announced the same day as the iPad 2):

The iPad Pro was announced Monday, March 21st, 2016.

The iPad 5th Gen (?) was announced Tuesday, March 21st, 2017.

The iPad 6th Gen (?) was announced Tuesday, March 27th, 2018.

Now, we may have expected some significant update to GarageBand on the announcement of the 2018 iPad Pros, but technically that's an event that caters to a "Pro" market, hence Photoshop demos, etc. GarageBand, capable as it is, is really geared to the more consumer market, which would make it more likely to be tied to a consumer-focused (i.e., regular iPad) event.

Additionally, if it's taken this long to do a significant update, and if a new version is expected to debut alongside a new iPad (and assuming it's demoed alongside the new iPad), could we expect something really "magical?" A re-branding of sorts? Maybe "Logic Express" or "Logic Mobile?" Maybe GarageBand will get a significant update and a slightly stripped-down Logic will appear at the October iPad Pro event?

Too Long, Didn't Read version: GarageBand is just about due for a significant update, Apple does iPad refreshes in March, most likely we will see a significant upgrade at the March iPad event. I'm guessing this will be either on Tuesday the 19th or the 26th.

Comments

• I think apple gives shit on audio working and music production. I have no other explanation why I had to wait more than 2 months to finally using my pro model without nasty cracklings. Would have appeared this CPU processing thing (audio playback vs. audio creation) if they had guys like us in mind? I don’t know.

But march 19-26 is a cool confidence Intervall for apples ipad keynote 👍🏼

• GarageBand is part of https://www.apple.com/education/everyone-can-create/

Is it possible to make significant changes to the product when the feature set is now immortalized like this? :D

• @realdawei said:
    GarageBand is part of https://www.apple.com/education/everyone-can-create/

Is it possible to make significant changes to the product when the feature set is now immortalized like this? :D

Good point -- perhaps we won't see a full re-branding into Logic iOS but more "under-the-hood" improvements (AU automation, master track, maybe a soundfont player AU plugin like on desktop, etc.) alongside consumer-friendly updates.

I have a feeling as part of the update Apple may introduce Lessons for the kid/consumer market. They pretty much can take it from desktop GarageBand and make the video lessons downloadable from the server, and it seems like one of those things tailor-made for GarageBand iOS.

• @aquasloth said:

@realdawei said:
    GarageBand is part of https://www.apple.com/education/everyone-can-create/

Good point -- perhaps we won't see a full re-branding into Logic iOS but more "under-the-hood" improvements (AU automation, master track, maybe a soundfont player AU plugin like on desktop, etc.) alongside consumer-friendly updates.

Would be nice. Just weird that such obvious things have been m.i.a

dysfunction junction.

• Garageband will continue to get cool updates but it will never get the "pro" treatment.

• 2.4 will hopefully have some more free instruments to play with. More timbres is always better. Other than that, hoping to nab an iPad Mini 5 if they'll exist just to have a pocket-sized Apple device that isn't a large iPhone (i.e. a device that is incapable of running Auria).

• Garage band is so advanced that they have to remove features on every update.

• edited January 2019

As long as they 'fix' the download of the Product Red Loops (it was an IAP long time ago and can be restored from the Settings->Song menu when things work as expected) but the IAP/Download can currently not be restored on a 'fresh' install of GarageBand! (From the router logs it seems that the file(s) are not on the server from where GarageBand tries to download them from).

This feature 'breaks' from time to time but gets fixed at some point so it's nothing new...

And well, editing of the recorded Touch-Instrument automation is something that should have been there ages ago.
    At least for the pitch-bend and mod-wheels...

• I'm forgetting another feature I'd like to see in a GarageBand update: Chord Strips for AU instruments! Apple has made the Chord Strips feature available on their Smart Instruments from the start, and then expanded to all keyboard instruments including Alchemy more recently, but it's still not available for AU instruments. I'd love, for example, to use the chord strips to "play" Syntronik's string synths!

• edited January 2019

Did GarageBand always look like that? Because either I don’t know how it is enabled, but I can only see the instrument on my iPad Pro 9.7 not the audio tracks. Also, there is this new button above the keyboard and somehow the UI looks a tiny bit more refined. Grabbed the screens from Apple‘s latest YouTube video.

• edited January 2019

@Zaubrer said:
    Did GarageBand always look like that? Because either I don’t know how it is enabled, but I can only see the instrument on my iPad Pro 9.7 not the audio tracks. Also, there is this new button above the keyboard and somehow the UI looks a tiny bit more refined. Grabbed the screens from Apple‘s latest YouTube video.

On the 12.9 inch iPad Pro GarageBand enables you to see the tracks when the instrument is open. (Possibly also 10.5 inch as well)

The button looking like a face is enabled on the newer iPad Pros that have FaceID

• Is there any good reason not to switch to GarageBand if they release full automation control?

• @realdawei said:
    On the 12.9 inch iPad Pro GarageBand enables you to see the tracks when the instrument is open. (Possibly also 10.5 inch as well)

I just opened the Garageband alchemy synth on my 10.5 and no tracks were shown above the synth. I tried various settings buttons, but found nothing to switch the synths layout smaller.

• @gregsmith said:
    Is there any good reason not to switch to GarageBand if they release full automation control?

It would certainly be a big reason to use it more. That and proper stem export would be most welcome.

• To reveal the tracks while you are in instrument view just swipe down from the timeline, I'm pretty sure this works on iPad Air 2 and up. It definitely works on the Pro:

• @richardyot Thanks for the new trick. - it shows the current track‘s data and swipeing on the instrument‘s icon changes to other tracks. :)

But while the current track‘s data is visible on my 10.5, the instrument is faded away and not usable as shown in your screenshot with the grand piano. In the press screenshots above, there are several of the tracks shown and the instrument is not faded and probably playable.

• Wow, I didn’t know that! It worked on my iPad Air 2 but it would be much better if you could see the track whilst recording from n instrument screen,

• edited January 2019

@AlterEgo_UK said:
    Wow, I didn’t know that! It worked on my iPad Air 2 but it would be much better if you could see the track whilst recording from n instrument screen,

It was my main reason for going 12.9. When recording vocalists or other audio tracks I like to see the timeline for visual cues.

• edited January 2019

Thanks for the trick @richardyot !!! Great to make quick edition.

Works also on iPhone. Allows even to change tracks in instrument view by swiping track icon vertically, very very nice!!

• @Janosax said:

Works also on iPhone. Allows even to change tracks in instrument view by swiping track icon vertically, very very nice!!

Cool - I didn't know about the swipe to change instruments trick!

• @richardyot said:

@Janosax said:

Cool - I didn't know about the swipe to change instruments trick!

Lol great tips sharing :)

• Swiping down with 2 fingers shows the piano roll editor.

GB.PNG 417.2K
  • @Porkycee said:
    Swiping down with 2 fingers shows the piano roll editor.

Crazy trick thanks, works both in arrangement and instrument views.

• I swear, GarageBand always does impress. If it had full on automation for parameters I'd use it exclusively. The automation (only having a lane for volume) leaves an awful lot to be desired :(

• @realdawei said:

@AlterEgo_UK said:
    Wow, I didn’t know that! It worked on my iPad Air 2 but it would be much better if you could see the track whilst recording from n instrument screen,

It was my main reason for going 12.9. When recording vocalists or other audio tracks I like to see the timeline for visual cues.

So, on the 12.9 the track doesn’t disappear when you start recording like it does on the Air2? Once you hit record you can’t swipe down to show the progress of the track.
    If you could record in full track view that would be great when recording guitar or other audio.

• @AlterEgo_UK said:

@realdawei said:

@AlterEgo_UK said:

So, on the 12.9 the track doesn’t disappear when you start recording like it does on the Air2? Once you hit record you can’t swipe down to show the progress of the track.
    If you could record in full track view that would be great when recording guitar or other audio.

Track lane stays in view on 12.9, actually 3 track lanes stay visible when recording audio tracks, AU and Instruments. 2 lanes stay viewable when recording the built in drum pads

• Double-tap the track icon to toggle track view and instrument view. Quicker than using the icon at the top.

• @_ki said:

@realdawei said:

I just opened the Garageband alchemy synth on my 10.5 and no tracks were shown above the synth. I tried various settings buttons, but found nothing to switch the synths layout smaller.

If I recall correctly if your iPad display preferences are set to Zoomed then you won’t get the tracks above the synth, if you switch to Standard they should show up.

• @realdawei said:
    If I recall correctly if your iPad display preferences are set to Zoomed then you won’t get the tracks above the synth, if you switch to Standard they should show up.

Good suggestion, but i don’t use display zoom and on the Garageband settings there is no ‚zoom‘ preference on the iPad 10.5 .
    The „display track/s“ feature seems to be special to the bigger form factor iPads.

• I never noticed that, but Drummer allows kick and snare to follow intelligently another track, that can be a midi or audio one. This is not sidechain, kick and snare notes will truly adapt to followed track content. That’s a huge feature which works really well IMO.