Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Are there lightening to midi cables?

What cables do you guys use to connect an iPad to something's midi-in?
Is there such a thing as a lightening to midi cable or have to use lightening to something, something to midi?

(I've just picked up a second hand Virus T1 desktop for a good price and want to play/sequence it from my iPad)

Comments

• edited January 2019

There's no Lightning - to - MIDI cable as Lightning doesn't carry MIDI information / signaling. You would need a "normal" MIDI interface with a Lightning connector, like:

https://www.amazon.com/iConnectMIDI1-Lightning-Version-1-out-Interface/dp/B00MRFG3WU

(maybe others can chime in for interface recommendations :))

• I could do with an en-lightening cable!

For midi scenarios I use the ol’ Apple CCK and a USB to MIDI (din) cable, which I think is made by e-mu.

• @brice said:
    I could do with an en-lightening cable!

For midi scenarios I use the ol’ Apple CCK and a USB to MIDI (din) cable, which I think is made by e-mu.

Technically they're not cables either though. They're interfaces that look like cables ;)

• @SevenSystems said:

@brice said:
    I could do with an en-lightening cable!

Technically they're not cables either though. They're interfaces that look like cables ;)

True, but PLEASE don’t let them hear you say that. It’d be like waking a sleepwalker. :o

• edited January 2019
    1. Classic Camera Connection Kit (Lightning to USB) and a USB MIDI interface cable
    2. CCK3 (Lightning to USB3 plus iPad charging) and a USB MIDI interface cable
    3. Bluetooth MIDI dongles that you plug into your VIRUS and connect via Bluetooth on iPad.

Bluetooth has a little delay but it's usable in 90% of the cases, in contrast to Bluetooth audio which is not.

Bluetooth dongles:
    Yamaha MD-BT01
    Quicco mi.1 (the smallest)
    PUC+ (the most powerful but you have to decide between either MIDI input or output)

• @rs2000 said:
    1. Classic Camera Connection Kit (Lightning to USB) and a USB MIDI interface cable
    2. CCK3 (Lightning to USB3 plus iPad charging) and a USB MIDI interface cable
    3. Bluetooth MIDI dongles that you plug into your VIRUS and connect via Bluetooth on iPad.

Bluetooth has a little delay but it's usable in 90% of the cases, in contrast to Bluetooth audio which is not.

Bluetooth dongles:
    Yamaha MD-BT01
    PUC+ (the most powerful but you have to decide between either MIDI input or output)

Using a bluetooth dongle looks cool, I don't like cables. Thanks

• Bluetooth dongles:
    Yamaha MD-BT01

In what way is the PUC+ the most powerful? How does its power manifest? (range, speed?). Thanks

• edited January 2019

@mungbeans said:

Bluetooth dongles:
    Yamaha MD-BT01

In what way is the PUC+ the most powerful? How does its power manifest? (range, speed?). Thanks

No, it can translate between USB MIDI devices and classic MIDI.
    Some MIDI controllers only have a USB MIDI port, and the PUC+ will translate between these and classic MIDI (make sure you get the Plus version for Bluetooth!)

Edit: AFAIK the Quicco mi.1 is the only one that can transmit MIDI clock, you might want that to sync the LFOs on the Virus T1.

• edited January 2019
  • @rs2000 said:

@mungbeans said:

Bluetooth dongles:
    Yamaha MD-BT01

Some MIDI controllers only have a USB MIDI port, and the PUC+ will translate between these and classic MIDI (make sure you get the Plus version for Bluetooth!)

Edit: AFAIK the Quicco mi.1 is the only one that can transmit MIDI clock, you might want that to sync the LFOs on the Virus T1.

Also with the bluetooth dongles I think you need to make sure there is power supplied to the midi port (which isn't standard) on the device you are connecting it to....

• IK iRig 2
    Universal MIDI interface for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Android and Mac/PC
    Introducing iRig MIDI 2, the first Lightning/USB compatible mobile MIDI interface that works with all generations of iOS devices, Android (via optional OTG to Mini-DIN cable) as well as Mac and PC.

features three MIDI ports: IN, OUT and THRU.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@rs2000 said:

@mungbeans said:

Bluetooth dongles:
    Yamaha MD-BT01

Also with the bluetooth dongles I think you need to make sure there is power supplied to the midi port (which isn't standard) on the device you are connecting it to....

The listed BT MIDI dongles are fed from the MIDI current loop itself.
    Power over MIDI is something else:

• The listed BT MIDI dongles are fed from the MIDI current loop itself.

Does that mean they will work with any hardware?

• edited January 2019

@mungbeans said:

The listed BT MIDI dongles are fed from the MIDI current loop itself.

Does that mean they will work with any hardware?

Theoretically yes, that's why most people love them, but Life has shown that a few products have issues, well, let me say, to fulfill the hardware MIDI spec 100%.
    Additionally, because these dongles have to pull and buffer all their power from the same 20mA current loop, it's essily possible that those who complain have been unlucky enough to send or receive a lot of "MIDI data with low energy" (saying: more zeroes than ones in the data stream) causing issues.
    I'm not going to rocket-science about that, I can just say that with typical amounts of MIDI data involved when playing and controlling external gear (excluding bulk dumps etc.), they work well.

• Quicco has a FAQ:
    http://quicco.co.jp/faq/

And a list of incompatible devices (no power, too little power): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mYRWBT_WT1BX2bG30O6WJ7EzYZyRlLVrkLB3zK27Dl0/edit#gid=0

There is this sort of related thing made for splitters that are powered the same way, for devices with not-enough-power:
    http://www.midisolutions.com/prodpwr.htm

Even though the PUC+ runs on batteries, these run out pretty quickly, so you kind of need (or want) an source of power for that anyway (USB 5v).

• If you have a Mac to put between the synth and the iPad you don't need an interface.

• @JudasZimmerman Thanks for adding more info and links.
    An important note about the Midisolutions power supply: This only adds power for other Midisolutions products. As there's no standard for "Power over MIDI", power pinouts do differ with different manufacturers.

• @1nsomniak said:
    If you have a Mac to put between the synth and the iPad you don't need an interface.

How would that be set up? If you connect the iPad to a Mac, then the Mac to the synth, midi coming out of the iPad won't automatically just get routed to the synth will it without having to do something?

• @mungbeans said:

@1nsomniak said:
    If you have a Mac to put between the synth and the iPad you don't need an interface.

How would that be set up? If you connect the iPad to a Mac, then the Mac to the synth, midi coming out of the iPad won't automatically just get routed to the synth will it without having to do something?

You first enable the iPad in the Audio Midi setup screen then you'll need to route it with software, I use Ableton. Not sure if it can be set up without the DAW, maybe on that setup screen. It will send Audio from the iPad as well. It's called IDAM if you want more details.

• The OTraki USB MIDI cable converter supports most standard MIDI devices, such as electronic drums, keyboards, and many other instruments. And since it doesn’t need extra drivers to use, you can immediately start recording and mixing when you get this; no installation is required. So you need Lightning to USB

• I use a USB MIDI hub connected to the same USB hub that my iPad is connected to. Works very well.

• Switched to 5-pin MIDI with the recent Pro upgrade. I feel much more classic and professional. Nice to have a cheap 2-channel stereo interface that does audio AND midi. Was happy to find it when I found out the Focusrites don’t do midi. Now I can finally send MIDI out to hardware and monitor the result while recording and fiddling

• @oat_phipps said:
    Switched to 5-pin MIDI with the recent Pro upgrade. I feel much more classic and professional. Nice to have a cheap 2-channel stereo interface that does audio AND midi. Was happy to find it when I found out the Focusrites don’t do midi. Now I can finally send MIDI out to hardware and monitor the result while recording and fiddling

Hi what interface is it?

• @Nix said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Switched to 5-pin MIDI with the recent Pro upgrade. I feel much more classic and professional. Nice to have a cheap 2-channel stereo interface that does audio AND midi. Was happy to find it when I found out the Focusrites don’t do midi. Now I can finally send MIDI out to hardware and monitor the result while recording and fiddling

Hi what interface is it?

Presonus 24c