Why can’t we all just get along?

Do we all have that voice inside us?
The one that shouts out ‘Why can’t we all just get along?’

There are, most certainly, a lot of antagonistic people in the world.
Their thought pattern goes along the lines of ‘Help others?! How will that help me?’

Look after number one, seems to be the default position.

But, what if, the default position of humans, was to help others?
Those in need of help, would actually get the aid that they need.

Those that are privileged enough to be doing well in life, should ALWAYS look out for those that are more unfortunate.

They may well be the ones that are in need of help someday.

«13

Comments

  • Nope. Looks like the most at the top only got to the top for themselves. Not for anybody else. Maybe our future AI overlords will save us.

  • Everybody can save us. We just have to do it ourselves. 🤝

  • I found the answer to that question looking into our evolutionnary origins. We are hardwired for both domination and cooperation in intricate ways.

  • It starts in your own backyard!

  • This was posted in a quite tipsy state last night, after pool night.
    I think the world is in a quite crappy place right now and I wanted to vent off.
    At least I put it in the off topic section!

    I see a complete lack of human decency towards other humans, animals and the environment, all around the world.
    It feels like people are grabbing what they can for themselves before an apocalypse.

    Meanwhile, the apocalypse could be averted, IF we all work together.

  • "Together we stand, divided we fall"

  • the problem isn't Evil, the problem is that some people don't believe in Evil.
    everything is the Peoples fault.... F the people.

  • I was hoping there was an answer in the comments but I see this is like most questions. The required expert isn't reading the Forum. It's just the regulars.

  • i once asked myself the question ...
    "why is it not heaven on earth?"
    ...i'm still working on my answer :)

    but words, be lief, if i can be and believe anything, why not be and believe good? people are good

    it's my belief that people are good, it's teh game that's to blame

    our monetary system is set up $o we have to compete

    such an old and tired idea, especially as our wealth becomes more abundant and easier and lossless to share

    and though our money masters have their fingers on the AI trigger, i'm still hopefull as we birth the new age; just because the obstetrician is crooked, does not make baby bad

  • Man you guys are jaded. I find there are a ton more examples of good in the world than bad quite frankly. But don’t look toward traditional media to highlight it.

  • edited January 24

    @ajmiller said:
    It starts in your own backyard!

    Every right and just thinking person can do their bit.

    @AndyPlankton said:
    "Together we stand, divided we fall"

    A very appropriate quote! The world has never been closer than it is now, by communication and travel.
    Yet it is also as fractured as it’s ever been. These are worrying times.

    @McD said:
    I was hoping there was an answer in the comments but I see this is like most questions. The required expert isn't reading the Forum. It's just the regulars.

    The answer is in and amongst us. Think about the consequences of everything you do and how it impacts others.

  • Human life is part of a complex system. Even the most clever people that ever live, will not comprehend even a small part of its complexities. We can only do the best we can because there are only two certainties in life - change and death.

  • responsibility

  • edited January 24

    Part of the problem is our relatively short lifespans. So the mega-rich don’t care about raping the World’s resources or polluting it to death, as they figure they won’t be around long enough to suffer the consequences.

    Of course the clock is ticking a bit faster now, and we’re starting to feel the heat...so maybe the next generation or so will start fixing stuff. Either that or they’ll have an almighty war for what’s left.

  • Because our egos won’t let us.

  • Feed the world

  • edited January 24

    @DefRobot said:
    Do we all have that voice inside us?
    The one that shouts out ‘Why can’t we all just get along?’

    There are, most certainly, a lot of antagonistic people in the world.
    Their thought pattern goes along the lines of ‘Help others?! How will that help me?’

    Look after number one, seems to be the default position.

    But, what if, the default position of humans, was to help others?
    Those in need of help, would actually get the aid that they need.

    Those that are privileged enough to be doing well in life, should ALWAYS look out for those that are more unfortunate.

    They may well be the ones that are in need of help someday.

    @DefRobot Nice to know that more than just myself thinks about these things even on a music forum.

    1. Reward systems: To use someone else's conjecture about the rich as an example... Those who have much derive social status and a pleasure that has been likened to the addictiveness of cocaine actually activating the same areas in the brain. Being Rich and powerful is addictive.
      Combine this with the psychological overestimation of our own capabilities and people who are successful truly believe that they got where they are own their own.

    2. Not knowing personally those in need: We are inherently tribal in our roots both culturally and biologically. Built to know and care for a group of people about 300 in size (there are exceptions and with modern society things have changed somewhat). We have more empathy for those close to us both in proximity and in culture/ideology. Why help those in a different country when we have problems here. Why agree with those people because they don't support my preconceptions.

    3. Preconceptions: We all have models of what we think the world IS inside our heads. Most of those things are heuristic in nature. They are short cuts that help us function in the world without having to think about EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME. They work up to a point. Dogma, ideology, religion, cultural norms, even science all tell "help" us what to think and sometimes why. BUT we rarely actually think and unravel the why thus we are stuck in the fast and easy but wrong.

    4. A relatively modern belief (see preconceptions) that we are not all connected to everything. I personally think this came into prevalence and popularity due to capitalism (not free-marketism). To explain, look at the externalization of of costs to manufacturing and current corporate structure. Take everything that we have to PAY FOR like a fair price, or a fair wage, or costs environmentally, and push those costs off onto people in other places. Treat all the resources and people like they are just widgets and readily replaced and infinite in supply. (see disaster capitalism, the idea of share holders vs stake holders and the idea of infinite, and rapid, returns to investors)

    The culmination of all the above points resides here in America. IMHOP, we have become caulous in the push to be fast and ignorant capitalists, not thinking of others and the consequences in the pursuit of $. Our culture and our laws unfortunately have encouraged this.

  • Sorry for all my blah, blah, blah.

  • @simonnowis said:
    i once asked myself the question ...
    "why is it not heaven on earth?"
    ...i'm still working on my answer :)

    but words, be lief, if i can be and believe anything, why not be and believe good? people are good

    it's my belief that people are good, it's teh game that's to blame

    our monetary system is set up $o we have to compete

    such an old and tired idea, especially as our wealth becomes more abundant and easier and lossless to share

    and though our money masters have their fingers on the AI trigger, i'm still hopefull as we birth the new age; just because the obstetrician is crooked, does not make baby bad

    I share your view on the nature of humans and your critical view on capitalism. That doesnt mean, that i dont believe in evil. But it is born of fear and anxiety. I also share your hopes, but i am very pessimistic.

    Here you might find more answers

  • @DefRobot said:
    These are worrying times.

    There isn’t a moment in human history that wasn’t worrying. There has always something to worry about. In my lifetime alone we’ve been worried about the Cold War and the bomb, then there was the war on terror, now it seems to be about political activists on the extreme right and left. It’s like the 1920s and 1930s again. History repeats itself; and so it goes on.

  • @audiblevideo said:
    Sorry for all my blah, blah, blah.

    No blah blah at all, but very informative. I read that its even less individuals we can emotionally bond with. It goes back to the group constellation of primates and the number i read was about 70 individuals.

  • @Beathoven said:

    @DefRobot said:
    These are worrying times.

    There isn’t a moment in human history that wasn’t worrying. There has always something to worry about. In my lifetime alone we’ve been worried about the Cold War and the bomb, then there was the war on terror, now it seems to be about political activists on the extreme right and left. It’s like the 1920s and 1930s again. History repeats itself; and so it goes on.

    Only that the weapons now have the potential to destroy the whole planet. At least for the creatures living on it.

Sign In or Register to comment.