Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: elektron?

https://youtu.be/gc0pC_2rp1c

So what the hell is the purpose of this glucose monitoring machine (look) with sample playback, I mean ...elektron is so cryptic about machines they make it hard to know what is what really...

It’s like ‘a’ Korg Gadget for the price of ‘the’ Korg Gadget...it’s almost a buy...but then

Like I am still not clear on what octatrack does that digitakt doesn’t, and now what does model:samples do that digitakt doesn’t...
Elektron shit is too “top secret” and unclear for me...

It seems cheap, and even easy to use in comparison to other offerings...it even says it has “all elektron super powers”...which are?
I always hear that the octatrack is the sample manglers tool...but in every video I’ve watched it doesn’t amaze me and the workflow seems ridiculous, long in the tooth, and tedious for the result.

I’ve used other sample manglers such as Apple Alchemy synth, Izotope Iris2, and Roland vsynth...and they all seem to go way deeper into sample mangling than these elektron products...what am I missing?

I’m serious, I am an addict level gear/app customer and I am offput by elektron and the way they advertise and announce features.
What the hell is the “magic” of the octatrack....the cross Fader? Somebody educate me because I’m so lost....

I think a k5000 does more to mangle samples than what I’ve seen from elektron.
I know the vsynth does mad science to samples...
But I just can’t get thru the insane hype and little show of said MAGIC features.

Comments

• I can do a majority of the above video clip stuff with gadget

• I’m trying to clearly understand it before forking over currency for something that may not amaze me.
    I think I’m still leaning harder for the vsynth, I’ve owned it once and mistakingly sold it...
    I need something in hardware to mangle similar to alchemy.

• edited January 2019

Hi. I’m a big fan of elektron. I own an Analog rythme then an Digitakt and now I have an Octatrack.
    The first reason why I love elektron is JUST the amazing sequencer ( P-lock, nudge, conditional trig (many), fills, retrig...
    The model sample seem to be a really good Groovebox. It does CONTROLL ALL like the digitakt and machine drum MD. That feature is so amazing and unique.
    The learning curve with elektron products is a bite hard especially for Octatrack but the model sample seem to be easy to learn and play due to the fact it have one knob per function.
    The reverb and delay is powerful and beautiful.
    The sound quality is pro.
    I own Korg gadget and you can’t really compare gadget with the sound quality of elektron products. Trust me.
    Korg gadget has no low end to my ears.
    When you understand well the elektron, making music with their products is really fun.

Ps: the Model sample is USB class complient like the digitakt = perfect companion for IPAD 😋🤘

• edited January 2019

My workflow is:
    iPad, ICA4+, Octatrack

I use my iPad Air 2 to generate sound (tardigrain, Ruismaker suite... a lot of fx in AUM).
    The sound travel via my iconnectivity Audio4+ which is going to my IN A/B Octatrack.
    I resample live what I want from the iPad to the octatrack.
    Then the main out from my Octatrack is going to AUM via ICA4+ then I can add Aux send and process my sound with compressor, transient shaper, limiter and rec the result in audio inside AUM.
    I use a controller UC33e to controll AUM and my Octatrack (level, send FX, ARM track recorder...) the crossfader on Octatrack is midi CC responding. It really fun to controll parameter in AUM.
    Im totally happy with this hybrid setup 🤘😋

• edited January 2019

basically one knob per function and scale feature per track, and knob spacing make it pretty sweet in my opinion.... what I don't like is it doesn't have the side chain or sample per step that the digitakt has, not to mention no sampling. but it's kind of nice to get a different vibe within the same context. .... will be battery powered as well

try this video instead

• I get the feeling elektron are testing the ergonomics/workflow of this ... the spacing, knob per functions, the pads, battery etc.. to see if they should throw it all into the digitakt mk2

• @MrSmileZ said:

Nord Wave ? Pretty powerfull synth/sample mangler :)

• @kobamoto said:
    I get the feeling elektron are testing the ergonomics/workflow of this ... the spacing, knob per functions, the pads, battery etc.. to see if they should throw it all into the digitakt mk2

So your thinking DT Mk2 will be like this maybe just scaled up slightly? I’m not so sure about the function per knob design. I kind of like hitting a button to change pages and having only 8 knobs for muscle memory.

• @kobamoto said:
    I get the feeling elektron are testing the ergonomics/workflow of this ... the spacing, knob per functions, the pads, battery etc.. to see if they should throw it all into the digitakt mk2

now that would be something. a battery powered digitakt with knob per function and velocity sensitive pads would have me donating blood, plasma , semen whatever it takes to get it

• edited January 2019

@Hkor said:
    I own Korg gadget and you can’t really compare gadget with the sound quality of elektron products. Trust me.
    When you understand well the elektron, making music with their products is really fun.

Sorry to say that, but I recommend learning how to use Gadget then. I can make Gadget sound as deep, punchy and fat as my Digitakt, maybe you've only been using the factory samples in Gadget?
    Or maybe use a quality audio interface with the iPad?
    Gain staging is also essential in Gadget, if you can't resist pushing up track volumes you'll end up with an auto-limited sonic mess.

• @rs2000 said:

@Hkor said:

Sorry to say that, but I recommend learning how to use Gadget then. I can make Gadget sound as deep, punchy and fat as my Digitakt, maybe you've only been using the factory samples in Gadget?
    Or maybe use a quality audio interface with the iPad?
    Gain staging is also essential in Gadget, if you can't resist pushing up track volumes you'll end up with an auto-limited sonic mess.

I have also found that to be the case in gadget too...I stay low in volumes as well!

@Hkor said:
    Hi. I’m a big fan of elektron. I own an Analog rythme then an Digitakt and now I have an Octatrack.
    The first reason why I love elektron is JUST the amazing sequencer ( P-lock, nudge, conditional trig (many), fills, retrig...
    The model sample seem to be a really good Groovebox. It does CONTROLL ALL like the digitakt and machine drum MD. That feature is so amazing and unique.
    The learning curve with elektron products is a bite hard especially for Octatrack but the model sample seem to be easy to learn and play due to the fact it have one knob per function.
    The reverb and delay is powerful and beautiful.
    The sound quality is pro.

Ps: the Model sample is USB class complient like the digitakt = perfect companion for IPAD 😋🤘

Thanks for the information I appreciate it immensely!

@dendy said:

@MrSmileZ said:

Nord Wave ? Pretty powerfull synth/sample mangler :)

Going to research that right now, thank you for the information! =)

• edited January 2019

@mireko_2 said:

@kobamoto said:

So your thinking DT Mk2 will be like this maybe just scaled up slightly? I’m not so sure about the function per knob design. I kind of like hitting a button to change pages and having only 8 knobs for muscle memory.

that's what I'm thinking, all of the mark2 models they've put out so far have been keeping the same features for the most part but making the workflow a little more convenient. People have complained about the knobs being too close together on the digitakt before, it's already a small box and I can imagine someone with huge hands wishing there was more space...
    I think the knob per function idea is kind of cool, I've already developed a certain flow with my digitakt but if they come up with something that induces more 'fun' I'm all for it.. in that reverb video Mario looks like he's doing things in a way he might not have thought of on the digitakt

but they better not do this janky battery option type stuff they are doing with the model samples... I don't know who thought of that battery implementation but they need to be moved to another department.

• @Gaia.Tree said:

@kobamoto said:

now that would be something. a battery powered digitakt with knob per function and velocity sensitive pads would have me donating blood, plasma , semen whatever it takes to get it

haha no doubt

• @mireko_2 said:

@kobamoto said:

I'd love knob per function on the DigiTakt but it would need to be the size of a prophet 5. :) The DT has wayyyyyy more functionality as compared to this one. I'd actually compare this to the Volca Sample before the DT, sound engine wise. But with a full on Elektron sequencer.

The bits my inner DT owner are jealous about:

1. Individual Step Length per track
    2. Individual Tempo Multiplier per track
    3. Velocity sensitive pads
    4. That future battery power thing

Otherwise, would seem a little redundant to me to own both. Unless they did something magical with those USB ports that allowed for instant track offloading.

• @syrupcore said:

@mireko_2 said:

@kobamoto said:

I'd love knob per function on the DigiTakt but it would need to be the size of a prophet 5. :) The DT has wayyyyyy more functionality as compared to this one. I'd actually compare this to the Volca Sample before the DT, sound engine wise. But with a full on Elektron sequencer.

>
    thats all I want too, will settle for just the scale per track.. bboy tech is going to ask elektron about it at namm, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it finds it's way into an digitakt update!

• @kobamoto said:

@syrupcore said:

@mireko_2 said:

@kobamoto said:

>
    thats all I want too, will settle for just the scale per track.. bboy tech is going to ask elektron about it at namm, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it finds it's way into an digitakt update!

The DigiTakt 2 really only needs a single, velvety velocity sensitive pad. Not built for finger drumming but for easily entering velocity info when overdubbing per track. And step editing.

• edited January 2019

I'd take that pad :D
    in addition to what I said earlier though I would love for them to open it up to being a super little blackbox mangler... with stereo and more sample mem and slots, convenient slicing..

• @syrupcore said:

@kobamoto said:

@syrupcore said:

@mireko_2 said:

@kobamoto said:

>

The DigiTakt 2 really only needs a single, velvety velocity sensitive pad. Not built for finger drumming but for easily entering velocity info when overdubbing per track. And step editing.

Like the TR-8s?

• @Tarekith said:
    Like the TR-8s?

Yep, just like that. TR-8s has a good few features that make it a better straight-up drum machine in my opinion. I don't own one but think they pretty much nailed it.

I haven't really read up on it in a while but the only thing I imagine missing is a small set of dedicated buttons for the potential CTRL knob functions. You'd hold one down (pan, filter settings, etc) when turning the CTRL knob so that you'd have 'instant' access to all of the things you might manually assign. Like they built in with holding an instrument button and turning an effect level knob to set the send levels for a given track (brilliant). Not that I have an idea of where they'd put that set of buttons!

• edited January 2019

I just got a TR-8S and it's a beast, WAY more than drum machine for sure and I think a lot of people underestimate it on that front.

The button combo you describe is more or less there already too. You just hold the CTRL button and turn on of the CTRl knobs to scroll through all the things that knob can be assigned to. Or, you press CTRL and turn the encoder to globally change all the control knobs to the same parameter (ie delay send, course tune, effect control, etc).

Very quick and easy.

There's a ton of little time-savers like that buried in the manual, Roland did an excellent job of making it quick and simple to navigate, but a terrible job of explaining it with no panel legends. I'll cover most of them in my upcoming video review.

• edited January 2019

the one knob per function paired with elektron features is really nice. It's like they made the digitakt to make the experience even more accessible, and then made this to make it even more accessible... It is sad though that in spite of them obviously making good headway in workflow improvements that they are not using what they've learned to make a unit that has all of the goodies and the workflow improvements... in the name of sales.
    I can totally understand that they are a business but to make people buy a model samples, digitakt, rytm, and octatrakt to get features that should be in one is not so great.

• edited January 2019

I gotta be honest, as an digitakt user the model still appeals to me, the more I watch the videos the more it feels different than the digitakt, and as a sequencer its jus crazy. I'm starting to think that if you use other beat machines I'm starting to think this would make a better companion beat machine than the digital, that is if your other beat machine samples.. This is so quick I can see it possibly being more fun to use along with an mpc than the other elektron boxes.