Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

battery life with applications open but ipad in sleep mode

Hey, i find that my battery drains and dies quickly after i finish a session with musc applications (like aum, ab3, iaa and au3 applications etc) even when i put the ipad in sleep mode. Its not a problem with the ipad battery in general, it just happens more when and after using the music apps. This is understandable that these drain the battery, but would be nice if they didnt drain the battery when the ipad was in sleep mode and i'm not actually using them.

Is this normal? And is there any way to decrease the battery drain of these ipad applications when putting it in sleep mode? Should i just make a habit of closing out all applications before putting the ipad in sleep mode, or just charging the ipad more often, or is there any other way or settings to fix/counteract this?

Thanks

Comments

• It is most likely "Background Audio" being enabled that causes this. Essentially when using background audio the app is still running even if not in the foreground (including when sleeping)
    Exiting the apps is probably your best bet, it saves having to keep turning background audio on and off.

• Yes, this is normal behavior. Apps don’t know the difference between being active in the background (when you are using them) and being in the background when the iPad is in sleep mode. So they continue to use resources and battery.

The good side: you can load up a piano or keys app, hook up a midi keyboard, close the iPad, and get 6 hours battery life while playing keys.

The bad side: you can accidentally leave everything running on a sleeping iPad and drain your battery in 6 hours idle with no use.

• edited January 2019

You quit all music apps OR you leave them running on background ?

Because if you quit all apps, it is unlikely that not running app can affect somehow battery life...

Except of IAA synths !! This is well
    known IAA issue - sometimes efent if you quit app, it is still running (even through you don't see it in task manager). Such app then sucks your battery..

If you leave running apps on background then no wonder it kills you battery. Some apps (like Model D and Model 15 AUs are eating same amount CPU all the time, no matter if they are playing or not)

• Some apps auto-sleep after a certain time, others always remain active.
    I won't list names here but you can try it for yourself:
    Some apps can be left open without a problem, others will have your battery drained within 2 days even when not actively using them.
    Only the developer can change its behaviour during sleep.
    A good app won't continue to drain your battery forever even with background audio enabled.