Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioVeek Midi Tools AU.

Comments

• Welcome to Blueveek’s School of Advanced MIDI Wizardry @tja

Glad you were finally able to find the entrance to Hogwarts :)

• edited February 2019

It's $9 in New Zealand. (Oops, just realised that this is an old thread).

• edited February 2019

Yeah, pricing is always more ridiculous in that part of the world. For what it's worth, Apple let's us pick "tiers", and each tier has a different price based on geographical region, which developers can't control. My apps are tiered really low, and it was the lowest possible at launch.

• Thanks so much for this @tja, and everyone else who purchased, regardless of price. This kind of stuff definitely encourages continued development.

In all honesty, music-related App Store app prices are mostly donationware for the most part, especially when compared to desktop :)

• @GrimLucky Yes, absolutely. I'll first release this: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/31373/audioveek-piano-roll-midi-sequencer-au/p1 then focus on iPhone support for Midi Tools.

• That’s great thanks, need to save credits for both though.

• Got it @blueveek. Look forward to seeing if it will split my keyboard input into two Cubasis tracks. That would be so great! Thanks!

• edited March 2019

@blueveek, a little help please. MT does not appear for me directly in Cubasis as an effect. It does appear in effects in AB3 midi mode, but then only appears in CB as midline ( midi in?) as an instrument. How do I apply it to an instrument input? Thanks! And, yes, I opened the app first.

• @LinearLineman
    Setup a couple of Midi tracks with your 2 different instruments. Set each to receive Midi input from your Keyboard.

Next, look at the Midi FX on each Midi track. Add the Keyzone effect to each Mid track. Setup one zone for your lower notes, on the other track/keyzone setup a zone for your higher notes. Use the blue double arrows to jump octaves when setting your zones.

With both midi tracks armed, you should hear the correct instrument sound when you play in the corresponding zone on your keyboard.

• Wow, that is great @CracklePot. Thanks for taking the time and the detailed instructions. As usual, I never would have figured this out without your help.

• edited March 2019

@LinearLineman said:
    Wow, that is great @CracklePot. Thanks for taking the time and the detailed instructions. As usual, I never would have figured this out without your help.

@LinearLineman You’re welcome. Play around with the zone fade settings. If the fade regions overlap between the two zones in the two instances, when you play through the fade region it cross-fades between instruments. In the middle of the of the fade region you get both instruments. I don’t know, I thought this was way, way awesome.

• Not sure if it's mentioned before, but it would be cool with Instrument version of MIDI Route could output midi cc. I'm imagining it could be used in Beatmaker to output midi automation to external synths/devices using Beatmaker automation lanes. Like a better version of Korg Taipei that's clip based / rather than scenes. :smile:

• @nondes
    Couldn’t you just send midi directly out of BM3? I don’t understand why you would need to use Midi Route.

From what I have tried with Cubasis, it seems Midi Route just forwards incoming Midi. It doesn’t send the Midi recorded to the track in Cubasis, it forwards whatever is coming in through that tracks Midi input.

I twiddled a knob on my USB controller and recorded it in Cubasis. When I set the midi out to AUM for that Cubasis track, Cubasis could send the recorded automation directly to AUM and move the filter cutoff in Mood.
    When I tried using Midi Route on that track in Cubasis and set it to send to AUM, while disconnecting the direct Cubasis Midi Out to AUM, the recorded automation did not move the filter cutoff in AUM/Mood.
    But, when I twiddled the knob on my KB, the filter cutoff did still move. The KB was going into the Cubasis Midi input for the midi track, then the Midi Route plugin forwarded it to AUM/Mood, but the recorded automation in Cubasis was ignored.

Anyway, try to send Midi directly out of BM3 Virtual Midi port. I think it would work the same as in Cubasis.

• Good call @CracklePot I missed the midi cc listings under midi pattern was checking under pattern automation, thanks.

• edited March 2019

@blueveek WOW! It works! Perfect instruction @CracklePot. Bass on one track, piano on another ( or any other instruments). Awesome app for me. Thank you so much. However, (the new “but”), and I can dig this, the split only applies to the midi tracks. I am guessing there is no way to split the keyboard instruments incoming audio files. Correct?

It limits me from using the Kawai MP11se’s onboard pianos and bass, but I can work around that with piano and bass apps. Still, a great boon to me and a great app. Now if I can just figure out what to do with the other tools! Thank you so much for this @blueveek.

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

Feature suggestion for your tools set, @blueveek: midi channel filtering. This could be either through a separate plug, or maybe added into Midi Clone and Filter (which is the one I thought would do it based on the name).

Basically, only the selected channels would be allowed through, rather than routing all midi to the selected channels as Midi Clone and Filter does now.

I have mfxStrip, which can do this, but thought it would be a worthy addition to your suite as well.

Cheers. B)

• edited March 2019

@LinearLineman
    You would need separate Audio outs from the Keyboard to record both voices simultaneously, but to separate tracks.

But if you really want to use your Kawai as a sound module, you could record your separate Midi tracks like you are already doing. Then output the Midi back to the Kawai, and play each track back, one at a time, while recording the Audio on their own separate tracks in Cubasis. If you go track by track, you will end up with each Kawai voice recorded to its own Audio Track.

All of this assumes your Kawai accepts Midi input and can function as a Sound Module, of course.

• Makes sense @CracklePot. I do not think my keyboard functions that way, however. But I am happy with what midi tools does.

• @CracklePot Thanks so much for helping out in this thread!

@LinearLineman Let me know if you need any additional help.

• @wim said:
    Feature suggestion for your tools set, @blueveek: midi channel filtering. This could be either through a separate plug, or maybe added into Midi Clone and Filter (which is the one I thought would do it based on the name).

Basically, only the selected channels would be allowed through, rather than routing all midi to the selected channels as Midi Clone and Filter does now.

I have mfxStrip, which can do this, but thought it would be a worthy addition to your suite as well.

Cheers. B)

Hey, you're now the second person to ask this, so I guess I have to do it ;)

• Nice. 👍👊

• @blueveek can you confirm whether this works in Stagelight so that I may use it to send MIDI out to hardware? This is one of the things Stagelight still hasn’t managed to implement yet, although the options are there. Thanks.

• @soundshaper said:
    @blueveek can you confirm whether this works in Stagelight so that I may use it to send MIDI out to hardware? This is one of the things Stagelight still hasn’t managed to implement yet, although the options are there. Thanks.

I can't unfortunately. I don't have the full version of Stagelight, which implements the AU support.

I'd be super happy if someone else would be able to test this for me. Thanks in advance :)

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

Stagelight doesn’t support AUv3 midi plugins. Does it?

• Confirmed StageLight and NS2 are yet to support AU Midi apps.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Confirmed StageLight and NS2 are yet to support AU Midi apps.

NS2 supports AU midi apps. It just doesn’t support recording of the midi out from them.

• @Jumpercollins said:

Sheesh, these new apps need to get with the program.
    ;)

• @wim said:

@Jumpercollins said:

NS2 supports AU midi apps. It just doesn’t support recording of the midi out from them.

True,

• @wim said:

@Jumpercollins said:

It's a bit worse than that, it also doesn't send midi into these AUs. It only considers them generators, which aren't recordable.

That being said, I can confirm things are looking good in the beta, and future releases are probably going to fix many of these warts.