Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Gadget 2 !

Comments

• @hokagespit said:
    Hi everyone, looking for info on new gadgets led me here. So with them mentioning the external processor patch on the Memphis does anyone think that means audio routing will be enabled? I used to use the real ms20 external sound patch to turn signals from other instruments to cv and control the ms20. In the current state of ms20 you cannot do that

I‘m definitely looking forward to what sounds you will squeeze out of Memphis.👍

• @LeonKowalski said:

@hokagespit said:
    Hi everyone, looking for info on new gadgets led me here. So with them mentioning the external processor patch on the Memphis does anyone think that means audio routing will be enabled? I used to use the real ms20 external sound patch to turn signals from other instruments to cv and control the ms20. In the current state of ms20 you cannot do that

I‘m definitely looking forward to what sounds you will squeeze out of Memphis.👍

🙏😊 there will be an all Memphis track.

• edited January 2019

@LeonKowalski said:
    It is a bit tedious to recreate for example the beautiful arpeggiator from, let‘s say ODYSSEi, in the piano roll of Gadget.

You could of course run the sequence in the standalone Odyssey and link it to Gadget (2) via the Teipei Gadget. Not as convenient as to have it within the gadget fur sure.

@hokagespit said:

I am looking forward to finally have a polyphonic MS-20 via multiple instances... :)

And looking forward to sequence my monologue :smiley:

• The main interest for me is Gadget iMs20 as well. But I do also think they are missing a trick by not allowing different kinds of sequencers into Gadget, the iMs20 one would've been a good start. :)

• Ya know I’ll definitely check this out when it drops, but I’m of the opinion that who needs Gadget when you have Electribe Wave? I suppose if you require more external audio then Gadget is the better choice. But if you’re just doing synth stuff....well...KEW covers a helluva lot more ground than I think people realize

• edited January 2019

@Doc_T said:

@LeonKowalski said:
    It is a bit tedious to recreate for example the beautiful arpeggiator from, let‘s say ODYSSEi, in the piano roll of Gadget.

You could of course run the sequence in the standalone Odyssey and link it to Gadget (2) via the Teipei Gadget. Not as convenient as to have it within the gadget fur sure.

@hokagespit said:

I am looking forward to finally have a polyphonic MS-20 via multiple instances... :)

And looking forward to sequence my monologue :smiley:

Since they are going this route with the midi export?gadget, I hope we eventually get other gadgets that can work within the box, one that was for designing custom and or using typical lfos, draw in, steps, or set up as a repeatable Adsr loop assigning a gadget like this to synths would allow us some of the random creativity that the odyssey’s arping affords us and really let some of these synths shine anew.

Really excited to hear ms20 chords 😂

• @LeonKowalski said:

@Doc_T said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    I suspect as with all Korg synths, the sequencer/arp is lost in the Gadget version, but here's hoping.

What do you need the MS20 sequencer for in Gadget? Gadget is a sequencer.

You are 95% right, in my humble opinion. It is a bit tedious to recreate for example the beautiful arpeggiator from, let‘s say ODYSSEi, in the piano roll of Gadget. But not impossible, if I‘m allowed to show it by shamelessly posting this:

Beautiful piece, I enjoyed it very much!

• @LeonKowalski said:

@Doc_T said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    I suspect as with all Korg synths, the sequencer/arp is lost in the Gadget version, but here's hoping.

You are 95% right, in my humble opinion. It is a bit tedious to recreate for example the beautiful arpeggiator from, let‘s say ODYSSEi, in the piano roll of Gadget. But not impossible, if I‘m allowed to show it by shamelessly posting this:

There are some very interesting Leons in this world and you are one of them. Good stuff. I'm not planning on remaking The Warriors, but when I do let's have our people speak.

• edited January 2019

So, with the Teipei gadget, what do you guys think will be Korg’s intended method of “recording the audio” from the device played from the MIDI out Gadget? AudioBus back into Gadget? AUM to its track recording? Etc? How will everything play in sync? My suspicion is that they are doing things this way because it’s easier, cheaper, and more stable. They must already have a viable plan.

Which “companion” app is likely to serve as the best “host” for the other apps?

Does Gadget support Ableton Link’s transport controls yet?

• @db909 said:
    Ya know I’ll definitely check this out when it drops, but I’m of the opinion that who needs Gadget when you have Electribe Wave? I suppose if you require more external audio then Gadget is the better choice. But if you’re just doing synth stuff....well...KEW covers a helluva lot more ground than I think people realize

How do you get natural instruments into KEW?
    How do you use sliced loops from your vinyl and breakbeat collection?

I don't think KEW is a replacement, except if you've only been using stuff in Gadget that you also have in KEW, which seems to be OK depending on the kind of music you produce.

• edited January 2019

"Dublin is alright, but it's no iMS20"

This is true so on many levels, thanks to the author!

I'm hoping for a kaos pad 3 with full screen on all effects and it would be nice to some of those algorithms again.

• @db909 said:
    Ya know I’ll definitely check this out when it drops, but I’m of the opinion that who needs Gadget when you have Electribe Wave? I suppose if you require more external audio then Gadget is the better choice. But if you’re just doing synth stuff....well...KEW covers a helluva lot more ground than I think people realize

I guess it's all about the creation environment people prefer. I love KEW, don't get me wrong, and I love its sick af capability to instantly switch instruments from one loop to the next. However, I still prefer Gadget (Dance/Pop) and NS2 (ambient/musique concrete/mixdowns once the audio tracks IAP is released).

• Electribe Wave has no count-in, which makes it impossible to play notes properly near the beginning of a bar. I end up skipping the first bar all the time.

• Electribe has a better sequencer... Easily copy and paste scenes/patterns, song mode. I won't use Gadget much (I own it) until they improve the sequencer.

• @wim said:

@Doc_T said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

It can be used to sequence not only notes but parameter changes also, in a different and creative way. It’s more of an alternative way of working that can unlock creativity than anything. It’s the only part of iMS-20 Really dig, to be honest.

@db909 said:

This is very true....it's almost like Gadget with a different skin.

• @MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

@MAtrixplan said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    OK, a practical question.
    I have Mono/Poly. What does Polysix do that it doesn't?

Second question - I have Dublin - do I really need iMS20?

I’m gonna go against the pack here and say no. iMS-20 is nothing that special to me - maybe just because there’s no nostalgia factor for me (never even heard of the hardware until I got the app). Or maybe that as far as I get with it usually is a mediocre patch or two that I could have gotten better and more easily with something else. I’m also no fan of the type of drum sounds it can make or its drum sequencer. The arp/sequencer is kinda cool though with the way you can automate parameters with it. But that probably won’t be in the Gadget, only the standalone.

Maybe if they finally update the standalone with some more modern features like Link, and updated AudioBus support, I’ll change my mind, but for now, it and iPolySix are in the pile of apps I take out every few months to give another chance, and never seem to find a use for.

The built in presets are absolutely crap, and do nothing to showcase what it’s capable of. It’s a two oscillator synth with a patch bay giving it pseudo modular functionality. I haven’t used the iPad version much over the years (I don’t like the feel of the knobs, matron), but I get a ridiculous amount of variety out of the hardware.

For anyone wondering how diverse an MS-20 can be

• @Doc_T said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

The sequencer in iMS-20 is actually a recreation of the SQ-10..and lets you do all sorts that you cannot do in the regular Gadget Sequencer due to it's patching....

I think Gadget would benefit hugely from having some input Gadgets....Kaoss...Arp from the Odyssey, SQ-10

• @AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

@MAtrixplan said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

I’m gonna go against the pack here and say no. iMS-20 is nothing that special to me - maybe just because there’s no nostalgia factor for me (never even heard of the hardware until I got the app). Or maybe that as far as I get with it usually is a mediocre patch or two that I could have gotten better and more easily with something else. I’m also no fan of the type of drum sounds it can make or its drum sequencer. The arp/sequencer is kinda cool though with the way you can automate parameters with it. But that probably won’t be in the Gadget, only the standalone.

Maybe if they finally update the standalone with some more modern features like Link, and updated AudioBus support, I’ll change my mind, but for now, it and iPolySix are in the pile of apps I take out every few months to give another chance, and never seem to find a use for.

The built in presets are absolutely crap, and do nothing to showcase what it’s capable of. It’s a two oscillator synth with a patch bay giving it pseudo modular functionality. I haven’t used the iPad version much over the years (I don’t like the feel of the knobs, matron), but I get a ridiculous amount of variety out of the hardware.

Yeah, I used to have a ridiculous amount of wiring going on in the patchbay.

Those mini versions look weird, I can't get my brain around looking at them - it's like the people using them are actually giants.

• @MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

@MAtrixplan said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Yeah, I used to have a ridiculous amount of wiring going on in the patchbay.

Those mini versions look weird, I can't get my brain around looking at them - it's like the people using them are actually giants.

hahaha !

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Doc_T said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

The sequencer in iMS-20 is actually a recreation of the SQ-10..and lets you do all sorts that you cannot do in the regular Gadget Sequencer due to it's patching....

I think Gadget would benefit hugely from having some input Gadgets....Kaoss...Arp from the Odyssey, SQ-10

Really looking forward to seeing this in Gadget. Was one of my first apps and I am still very fond of its big clumsy capable odd self (he says, channeling his mother...)

• In preparation of the new update I have been using Gadget again....one thing that is proving very useful is being able to map my Blueboard to the transport (rec/play/stop/loop), whilst not a looper, it does make it a lot easier when trying to record parts.

• @AndyPlankton said:

Ha! Awesome. I have to admit I'm pretty excited for this to be Gadgetized. iPolysix will be cool too but more interested in iMS-20.

Just wish we had a lil more info about the other changes.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@db909 said:

I guess it's all about the creation environment people prefer. I love KEW, don't get me wrong, and I love its sick af capability to instantly switch instruments from one loop to the next. However, I still prefer Gadget (Dance/Pop) and NS2 (ambient/musique concrete/mixdowns once the audio tracks IAP is released).

Are you talking about the Jump mode or something else?

• Is there a date when midi out comes to gadget ?

• Is there anyone clever here who has an idea how Taipei will send midi? What does that session look like?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Is there anyone clever here who has an idea how Taipei will send midi? What does that session look like?

I suppose you'll use it like any other Gadget. Just load it in a new channel and enter some notes/cc. That MIDI information will then go out of Gadget to an external synth of your choice.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Is there anyone clever here who has an idea how Taipei will send midi? What does that session look like?

My best guess is that it will simply send the MIDI from the sequencer to a selected device(s) and channel(s), not sure what the Gadget itself would look like, maybe it would have some assignable controllers that can be played and automated and a keyboard.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

My best guess is that it will simply send the MIDI from the sequencer to a selected device(s) and channel(s), not sure what the Gadget itself would look like, maybe it would have some assignable controllers that can be played and automated and a keyboard.

So then, presumably, the audio from that synth is recorded into Gadget?

• R_2R_2
    edited January 2019

@AndyPlankton said:
    not sure what the Gadget itself would look like, maybe it would have some assignable controllers that can be played and automated and a keyboard.

? Pic is in the first post of this thread

• Dreaming of an instance of Beathawk world percussion or Thumbjam cellos in Gadget....