Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Gadget 2 !

Comments

• edited January 2019

I guess its the current version of Gadget with two of the new gadgets. If it was Gadget 2 they would have displayed much more of it and givven it much more space in their booth. If there was Teipei they would certainly have hooked up some external Logues and Volcas to show it as a control center. Gadget 2 is all about MIDI. The port of the MS20 and the Polysix were just the last missing of their softsynths and the port was not tied to G2. They will only release them togetehr with G2 (I guess)

• @R_2 said:
    Disappointed by the lack of coverage on this. Multiple vids of Volca’s, Minilogue, Kronos, Kross and even Keytars :| Not 1 Gadget vid...

I think it's fair to say the iOS side of Korg's marketing department are completely crap. Their new apps almost always appear out of nowhere, with no accompanying pre-release vids and sometimes zero info on the website.

• @MonzoPro said:

@R_2 said:
    Disappointed by the lack of coverage on this. Multiple vids of Volca’s, Minilogue, Kronos, Kross and even Keytars :| Not 1 Gadget vid...

I think it's fair to say the iOS side of Korg's marketing department are completely crap. Their new apps almost always appear out of nowhere, with no accompanying pre-release vids and sometimes zero info on the website.

True, but i was referring to the NAMM visitors. There were some iOS users going. They could have at least checked that demo iPad, get some hi-res pics of Memphis & Pompei panels and ask about ver. 2.

• @R_2 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@R_2 said:

True, but i was referring to the NAMM visitors. There were some iOS users going. They could have at least checked that demo iPad, get some hi-res pics of Memphis & Pompei panels and ask about ver. 2.

Give them a prod and ask them - best way to find out why they haven't included the iOS stuff.

• edited January 2019

@MonzoPro said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Odd to see an MS20 associated with Memphis. I'm assuming they mean the Egyptian one. Otherwise it should be a 'rack of bbq ribs' gadget or a 'concealed handgun' gadget

I always associate them with Southend, which was where I bought mine nearly 40 years ago. Still got the 'Honky Tonk Music' sticker on the top. But yeah, still 'concealed handguns'...

I think they’ve abandoned the significant place names (Milpitas, say) for places that sound like the original gadget. MS kind of sounds like Memphis; MONo/Poly = MONtpelier. Maybe?

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Odd to see an MS20 associated with Memphis. I'm assuming they mean the Egyptian one. Otherwise it should be a 'rack of bbq ribs' gadget or a 'concealed handgun' gadget

I always associate them with Southend, which was where I bought mine nearly 40 years ago. Still got the 'Honky Tonk Music' sticker on the top. But yeah, still 'concealed handguns'...

I think they’ve abandoned the significant place names (Milpitas, say) for places that sound like the original gadget. MS kind of sounds like Memphis; MONo/Poly = MONtpelier. Maybe?

I thought they chose Memphis & Pompeii because they are very old places, associated with ancient history, and iMS-20 & iPolySix are very old apps.

• Good one! Many layers to the Korg onion!

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@oat_phipps said:

Could be, difficult to fathom where Korg are coming from sometimes.

Personally I wouldn't associate the MS20 with Memphis, which is not really known for electronic music. Pompei for iPolysix? Again...a bit of a weird association.

• @Doc_T said:
    I guess its the current version of Gadget with two of the new gadgets. If it was Gadget 2 they would have displayed much more of it and givven it much more space in their booth. If there was Teipei they would certainly have hooked up some external Logues and Volcas to show it as a control center. Gadget 2 is all about MIDI. The port of the MS20 and the Polysix were just the last missing of their softsynths and the port was not tied to G2. They will only release them togetehr with G2 (I guess)

Oooft. I've only just realise I could use Gadget as a sequencer for my Volcas to break free from the 16 step trap! Now I just need to acquire a class compliant MIDI hub. My MIDISport 4x4 is too old to be recognised by the iPad.

• @chimp_spanner said:
    Oooft. I've only just realise I could use Gadget as a sequencer for my Volcas to break free from the 16 step trap!

Yeah :) I guess Gadget 2 will be cool

• @MonzoPro said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@oat_phipps said:

Could be, difficult to fathom where Korg are coming from sometimes.

Personally I wouldn't associate the MS20 with Memphis, which is not really known for electronic music. Pompei for iPolysix? Again...a bit of a weird association.

Memphis, Egypt makes more sense alongside Pompeii.....both very old places...and in a strange twist of fate, much like iMS-20 and iPolysix...both abandoned :D

• @chimp_spanner That's pretty awesome. I never would have thought to do something like that (I don't have any volcas, but hey).

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing iElectribe get Gadgetized. I think that's more nostalgia than anything though, to be fair...

• @rs2000 said:

@robosardine said:

@rs2000 said:

@robosardine said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I think their iOS strategy could be summed up with two words: ‘good enough’. That’s not to diss their apps which are obviously amazing, but aside from bug fixing obvious issues, once an app is out it’s considered finished, and they move on to the next one. Rarely are new features or connectivity added.

The downside is older apps feel a bit outdated and unloved, the upside is we get lots of new shiny things to buy.

True- I have hoped for a long time that they would add marker automation to Abu Dhabi- but it will never happen ☹️

Just curious - what would you do with it?

I would be using it in the same way for example on the Volca Sample. Tweaking by moving the start point back and forward of your sample at the same time as twisting the other parameters (in particular pitch) can provide a radical dynamic to your chopping/ mashing fun. Automating it would mean that you could do this to several at the same time 😀

Hehe, that's why I think Bilbao is the better Abu Dhabi: You can, for each of the 16 pads, automate start point, hold+decay, pitch, level, pan, fx send switch.
    Automating pitch is not too much fun because there is no reference grid for note values, but back in the analog sequencer days, that wasn't the case either ;)

This is true- but you can also use this technique with percussion and spoken word samples🤗

• edited January 2019

Hi everyone, looking for info on new gadgets led me here. So with them mentioning the external processor patch on the Memphis does anyone think that means audio routing will be enabled? I used to use the real ms20 external sound patch to turn signals from other instruments to cv and control the ms20. In the current state of ims20 you cannot do that

• edited January 2019

@Beathoven said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@oat_phipps said:

I thought they chose Memphis & Pompeii because they are very old places, associated with ancient history, and iMS-20 & iPolySix are very old apps.

Hehe, just learned there is a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis,_Egypt

Thanks Korg!

Could be really cool to do a country song about Ancient Memphis.

• @AudioGus said:

@Beathoven said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@oat_phipps said:

Hehe, just learned there is a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis,_Egypt

Thanks Korg!

Could be really cool to do a country song about Ancient Memphis.

Yeah, I didn’t realise that there was a Memphis, Tennessee. Somebody should write a song about it so we know.

• Did I forget to mention, forget to mention Memphis, home of Elvis and the ancient Greeks?

• OK, a practical question.
    I have Mono/Poly. What does Polysix do that it doesn't?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    OK, a practical question.

It has a highpass filter.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

Second question - I have Dublin - do I really need iMS20?

• edited January 2019

@ExAsperis99 said:

@MAtrixplan said:

After using iMono/Poly, iOdyssey and Phoenix in several tracks, I'd sum it up like this:
    Yes, you will be able to hear a difference when using these synths solo.
    In a musical context, they can be tweaked to sound practically the same and the differences become negligible. Not that it's impossible to spot a difference when doing a direct A/B comparison, but they can be tweaked to add a very, very similar quality to the music. Dublin is a beast by the way!

Some Gadget users will not be interested in designing their own synth sounds, and they might get these newbies just for the different presets. Fair enough.

• @MAtrixplan said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Depends what you want to do with it, but if the NAMM photos are correct, then you've got nearly double the amount of controls with the iMS20 Gadget. Dublin is alright, but it's no iMS20.

As for the iMS20 standalone it's a monster, and very faithful to the original - with a drum synth and sequencer thrown in as a bonus.

• @MonzoPro said:

@MAtrixplan said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Depends what you want to do with it, but if the NAMM photos are correct, then you've got nearly double the amount of controls with the iMS20 Gadget. Dublin is alright, but it's no iMS20.

As for the iMS20 standalone it's a monster, and very faithful to the original - with a drum synth and sequencer thrown in as a bonus.

I suspect as with all Korg synths, the sequencer/arp is lost in the Gadget version, but here's hoping.

• Yeah the sequencer looks to be missing as expected, no tab in the shot. It would have been a nice touch to have included this, one way of not necessarily using the piano roll.

• wimwim
    edited January 2019

@MAtrixplan said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

I’m gonna go against the pack here and say no. iMS-20 is nothing that special to me - maybe just because there’s no nostalgia factor for me (never even heard of the hardware until I got the app). Or maybe that as far as I get with it usually is a mediocre patch or two that I could have gotten better and more easily with something else. I’m also no fan of the type of drum sounds it can make or its drum sequencer. The arp/sequencer is kinda cool though with the way you can automate parameters with it. But that probably won’t be in the Gadget, only the standalone.

Maybe if they finally update the standalone with some more modern features like Link, and updated AudioBus support, I’ll change my mind, but for now, it and iPolySix are in the pile of apps I take out every few months to give another chance, and never seem to find a use for.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I suspect as with all Korg synths, the sequencer/arp is lost in the Gadget version, but here's hoping.

What do you need the MS20 sequencer for in Gadget? Gadget is a sequencer.

• wimwim
    edited January 2019

@Doc_T said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

It can be used to sequence not only notes but parameter changes also, in a different and creative way. It’s more of an alternative way of working that can unlock creativity than anything. It’s the only part of iMS-20 Really dig, to be honest.

• The arp in the standalone Odyssey (and missing from the Lexington gadget) is pretty neat.

• edited January 2019

@wim said:

@MAtrixplan said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

I’m gonna go against the pack here and say no. iMS-20 is nothing that special to me - maybe just because there’s no nostalgia factor for me (never even heard of the hardware until I got the app). Or maybe that as far as I get with it usually is a mediocre patch or two that I could have gotten better and more easily with something else. I’m also no fan of the type of drum sounds it can make or its drum sequencer. The arp/sequencer is kinda cool though with the way you can automate parameters with it. But that probably won’t be in the Gadget, only the standalone.

Maybe if they finally update the standalone with some more modern features like Link, and updated AudioBus support, I’ll change my mind, but for now, it and iPolySix are in the pile of apps I take out every few months to give another chance, and never seem to find a use for.

The built in presets are absolutely crap, and do nothing to showcase what it’s capable of. It’s a two oscillator synth with a patch bay giving it pseudo modular functionality. I haven’t used the iPad version much over the years (I don’t like the feel of the knobs, matron), but I get a ridiculous amount of variety out of the hardware.

• edited January 2019

@Doc_T said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

You are 95% right, in my humble opinion. It is a bit tedious to recreate for example the beautiful arpeggiator from, let‘s say ODYSSEi, in the piano roll of Gadget. But not impossible, if I‘m allowed to show it by shamelessly posting this: