Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GrooveriderGr16 as sequencer to trigger Bm3 pads (Bank A) Any help?

@jimpavloff As the title says - trying to trigger Beatmaker3 pads in Grooverider and do my sequencing in Grooverider. So Bm3 will hopefully be used as a sound module.
I have no idea how to set this up with midi etc?
Any tips much appreciated

Comments

• wimwim
    edited January 2019

Each pad sends on a separate midi channel matching the pad number. So the setup in BM3 is just a matter of setting the bank to receive from GR-16, and each pad to receive on the appropriate channel.

In GR-16 settings:

• Background mode: On
    • Background timer: 30
    • Virtual Midi: On

In BM3:

• Settings > Midi Input: GR-16 Midi Out: Enabled
    • Settings > Settings and Behaviors > Route all Midi to Selected Pad (OMNI): OFF
    • Bank > Midi > Midi Input > Port: GR-16 Midi Out
    • Bank > Midi > Midi Input > Channel: NONE
    • Bank > Midi > Mode: Multi Channel
    • Pad(s) > Midi > Midi Input > Port: Use Bank Setting
    • Pad(s) > Midi > Midi Input > Channel: (GR-16 pad number)

To stop GR-16 from outputting sound without having to lower the faders, you can load the attached silent wave file into each pad. (Hint: save as a preset to make setup quick and easy).

Silent Wave File download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhkwe1bqqlsdnxd/Void.wav?dl=0

• @wim said:
    Each pad sends on a separate midi channel matching the pad number. So the setup in BM3 is just a matter of setting the bank to receive from GR-16, and each pad to receive on the appropriate channel.

In GR-16 settings:

In BM3:

• Settings > Settings and Behaviors > Route all Midi to Selected Pad (OMNI): OFF
    • Bank > Midi > Midi Input > Channel: ALL

To stop GR-16 from outputting sound without having to lower the faders, you can load the attached silent wave file into each pad. (Hint: save as a preset to make setup quick and easy).

Silent Wave File download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhkwe1bqqlsdnxd/Void.wav?dl=0

@wim thanks a lot for this info much appreciated Will try bit later Do I have to set any midi in or out in Gr16 or just do what you have kindly posted ? Thanks again :-)

• edited January 2019

@stormbeats said:

@wim said:

In GR-16 settings:

In BM3:

@wim thanks a lot for this info much appreciated Will try bit later Do I have to set any midi in or out in Gr16 or just do what you have kindly posted ? Thanks again :-)

@wim Also do I set Gr16 to Trigger mode?

• wimwim
    edited January 2019

You only need the settings I listed. NOTE: I goofed on the BM3 bank channel setting. At the bank level it should be NONE, not ALL. Use trigger mode if you just want to trigger the pads. Use Keys mode if you want to play the pads chromatically.

• wimwim
    edited January 2019

Here’s a simplified version if you don’t care about which GR-16 pads trigger which BM3 pads. In this setup, GR-16 pads 1-16 will trigger BM3 pads 1-16 without having to set up each pad individually.

In GR-16 settings:

In BM3:

• Pad(s) > Midi > Midi Input > Channel: Use Bank Setting
  • @wim said:
    Here’s a simplified version if you don’t care about which GR-16 pads trigger which BM3 pads. In this setup, GR-16 pads 1-16 will trigger BM3 pads 1-16 without having to set up each pad individually.

In GR-16 settings:

In BM3:

• Pad(s) > Midi > Midi Input > Channel: Use Bank Setting

@wim ok brilliant thanks agin for info

• @wim one last question Do I have to load Gr16 as a plugin in bm3 or just do the midi settings?

• edited January 2019

@wim do i set GR16 virtual midi ON to in or out or both
    Yayyyyyy good info dude thanks a biliion got it working Thanks

• @stormbeats said:
    @wim one last question Do I have to load Gr16 as a plugin in bm3 or just do the midi settings?

You don’t need to set GR-16 up as a plugin in BM3. It may also work that way though. I haven’t tested.

@stormbeats said:

GR-16 midi in isn’t important unless you want to control it from a hardware controller. If you do want to do that then it gets more complicated since GR-16 doesn’t have midi-thru.

Glad u got it working. 😎

• @wim said:

@stormbeats said:
    @wim one last question Do I have to load Gr16 as a plugin in bm3 or just do the midi settings?

You don’t need to set GR-16 up as a plugin in BM3. It may also work that way though. I haven’t tested.

@stormbeats said:

GR-16 midi in isn’t important unless you want to control it from a hardware controller. If you do want to do that then it gets more complicated since GR-16 doesn’t have midi-thru.

Glad u got it working. 😎

@wim ok cheers dude - only thing i need to work out is bm3 records midi data but only if I use the record button in the small IAA transport window to the right of Gr16 screen This is ok but the GR16 swing/groove quantize is then bypassed and have to use bm3 swing settings - Iam trying to work out how to send Gr16 transport data to bm3 - so when I use gr16s record button etc bm3 will also go into record without using the IAA transport window in Gr16 Also I get a pre roll record “count in” but the first kik is bit off timing Will work it out eventually and thanks again Now that Gr16 has song mode this with bm3 will be very powerful.

• @wim about the not needing to use gr16 as a plugin - thats what i was thinking but without loading as a plugin iam not sure how bm3 will receive transport data -i.e play record etc etc

• wimwim
    edited January 2019

@stormbeats said:
    @wim ok cheers dude - only thing i need to work out is bm3 records midi data but only if I use the record button in the small IAA transport window to the right of Gr16 screen This is ok but the GR16 swing/groove quantize is then bypassed and have to use bm3 swing settings - Iam trying to work out how to send Gr16 transport data to bm3 - so when I use gr16s record button etc bm3 will also go into record without using the IAA transport window in Gr16 Also I get a pre roll record “count in” but the first kik is bit off timing Will work it out eventually and thanks again Now that Gr16 has song mode this with bm3 will be very powerful.

AudioBus 3 to the rescue. You can load them both into AB3 (Start BM3 before AB3 to work around a BM3 loading bug). Then you have the BM3 rec button available in the sidebar if you’re in GR-16, or the GR-16 play button available in BM3.

From GR-16, press the BM3 record button in the sidebar. Before the BM3 countdown completes, press play in GR-16. Link takes care of starting them both on the downbeat.

I guess you could futz around with IAA and probably get it working, but this is dead easy and gives you all the great features of AudioBus to work with.

• wimwim
    edited January 2019

To avoid BM3 quantizing on record, tap the Q at the center-top in BM3, and just turn it off for both note start and note end.

• @wim ok cheers - exciting times ahead - once I get it all functioning

• @wim whats supercool is I can now have effects per pad in bm3 So gr16 has effects per pad now - powerful.
    Next Iam going to check if bm3 timeline will lock perfecly with gr16 in song mode - hope so as will attempt to do vocal remixes using bm3 transport to locate to certain sections in gr16.