Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Use 2 Blamsoft DC-9's and "Dust Off Your Guitar"

edited January 2019 in Creations

Since diving deep into IOS Music Making my guitars haven't been touched in 6 months. My daughter visited and said "My God, dust off your guitars."

So, I just put them all the their cases. (Not big on dusting... allergies).

But Blamsoft just lowered their "Tube Screamer" clone App, the DC-9, to $2.

It's an AU App so a TubeScreamer feeding another Tubescreamer (serial connections in AUM) can get some amazing guitar tones. That's the rig Stevie Ray Vaughan used (with thick strings tuned down to Eb). Carlos Santana inderited SRV's guitar tech and he showed him this trick to get fat tube tone... not that Carlos had a problem with tone but still... this is a cheap way to get sustain.

So, I gave it a test drive with a really dusty Tele' and some really rusty chops
using the $2 TubeScreamer(s).

Thank You Blamsoft. I hope you're NOT going out of business.
You make great products.

It takes me a while to find my footing on the guitar but it shows what this
effect can do. There are several other effects too, of course.

Brusfri for Noise (2 Tubescreamers are really noisy)
the noise gives you that SRV scratchy attack

ReAmp (Guitar Tube Drive)
lot this pre-amp's knobs

Reverbs for some room air

https://soundcloud.com/user-403688328/dust-off-your-guitar

Comments

• Looks like I'll be dusting off my guitar.

Mildly on topic: does Brusfri affect the signal at all times? In my apartment, I have terrible 60-cycle or some other noise. It's noticeable on top of what I'm playing, even when the amp plugin is set to very clean. Will it only cut the noise when I am not playing, or is it doing something different than a standard noise gate or phase cancelling function to eliminate the noise?

• But really, great tone!

• @bcrichards said:
    Looks like I'll be dusting off my guitar.

Mildly on topic: does Brusfri affect the signal at all times? In my apartment, I have terrible 60-cycle or some other noise. It's noticeable on top of what I'm playing, even when the amp plugin is set to very clean. Will it only cut the noise when I am not playing, or is it doing something different than a standard noise gate or phase cancelling function to eliminate the noise?

That's a tough question. Brusfri has a LEARN button. So, I connected everything and it was humming like crazy. I hit learn and it took all humming away. Now it knows what to remove I'd assume so I suspect the 60 cycle hum will continue to be cancelled even when you start playing since it learned that pattern is "noise" but like most gates it might not be able to detect the cycle as non-music but I think the LEARN idea implies it does. It's expensive for IOS but cheap as a guitar widget at $15.

Someone here will know and add 2 cents making the cost of Brusfri $14.97 US. If you get more donations it will be a slam dunk FX purchase. The DC-9's are well done... can you have enough DC-9's in your Flight Hanger?

• @bcrichards said:
    But really, great tone!

That's just 15 minutes with a new toys too. I'm not sure I'll pay for ToneStack again when it goes AU. I already spent $100's on AU FX Apps that sound great.

• Nice tone indeed @McDtracy.
    @bcrichards , as McDtracy noted, Brusfri has a learn mode and once it learns your apartment noise save it as an AU preset. Eg. myapartment60hz.

• edited January 2019

Brusfri does more than just a downward expander (or gate).
    In (hopefully) easy words:
    The Learn Mode will analyze the signal spectrum of your "silent" audio so it knows what noise characteristic it needs to "subtract" from your incoming signal, ideally leaving only the signal you want, without the noise. It's called noise fingerprinting and fingerprint-based denoising. (Brusfri actually sounds like it's using a set of downward-expanding filters)
    It's not a new process and it's no rocket science but it's a first on iOS so I understand why Klevgrand want "premium cash" for it (of course, relatively speaking).
    Make sure you don't exaggerate with the processing depth - at some point the signal will start to degrade.
    It's also crucial that when you're recording, you leave a bit of leeway before or after the recording so you have enough background noise to let Brusfri learn from.

• @bcrichards said:
    Looks like I'll be dusting off my guitar.

I don’t know if it’ll help in your situation, but I have the same issue with noise and have learned that I can virtually eliminate it by powering my iPad with a battery bank and avoiding connecting anything whatsoever into mains power. I use an iRig Pro with USB connection straight into the Apple USB 3 Lightning adapter. If I need power I run the battery bank to it. Turn off the fluorescent lights in the kitchen and ... silence. It’s wonderful.

(At this point the suggestions for ground loop protection, etc. usually start coming in. Been there. Tried everything. Nothing else works ;) )

• Nice guitar comeback @McDtracy and nice tone :)

About Brusfri, does it adds latency and is it CPU friendly?

• edited January 2019

@Janosax said:
    Nice guitar comeback @McDtracy and nice tone :)

About Brusfri, does it adds latency and is it CPU friendly?

I'll do another test and watch the CPU. This is the first time I've used it.
    Didn't notice latency but my guitar playing isn't great so hard to say. I should test it play
    Some uptempo piano funk.

• I have a dusty guitar and bass too. :neutral:

• edited January 2019

Sweet sounds! How much of the tone is coming from ReAmp vs DC-9? What would it sound like without it?

• I should make a track and add FX 1 at a time so you can decide for yourself.
    ReAmp is clean to warm in it’s range.
    DC-9”s are tubes driven to a warm distortion. 2 on series becomes scratchy and hyper-compressed.
    There’s a beta reverb at the end which made me break out a guitar to test.
    So I need to show the DC-9 in isolation.
    I’m not much of a blues player but I covet that SRV sound when I hear it and if I check out the pedals it’s 2 tube screamers or clones like the DC-9.