Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

looking for a special looper that...

edited January 2019 in General App Discussion

inspired by "The Disintegration Loops" by William Basinski ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Disintegration_Loops )
i'm looking for a looper/deck/player that can do this:
(x) play a loop one time -> through an fx chain -> record (overlay/overdub) the output loop -> go to (x)
so the initial loop will be degraded over time to complete destruction... with controll ofcourse...
a circular looper/overdubber...

or something like
The Harvestman Tyme Sefari 2 !?

anyone has any idea what app/how I can do this?
thank you.

Comments

• AUM using the Mix Bus and Kosmonaut?!1. Can't quite get my head around it at the moment but I bet someone can !

• @SheffieldBleep said:
    AUM using the Mix Bus and Kosmonaut?!1. Can't quite get my head around it at the moment but I bet someone can !

They tricky thing with a lot of IOS Loopers is that they are based upon a Beats Per Minute (BPM) approach and they add time to reach the next end of bar before looping which works for many
    EDM and Song style Loopers but a lot of guitar players want to hit the pedal and play their groove (without a metronome or drum track) and stop/start the loop with a pedal click.

Quantiloop does this looping on start/stop events as well as the BPM drum/metronome. Guitar buskers seem to love it. It's like the Boss Loop Station in many respects.

Loopy HD does the BPM mode.

Note sure about Group the Loop. Infinite Loop uses MIDI recording.

Loopy Masterpiece is coming this century and it will probably have the free style looping mode but only Michael (our host) knows for sure.

But the slow decay might required one of the extreme delay units like the 4 track Kosmonaut FX with I think offers 8 beats max using the IOS GUI and 32 beats if controlled externally (via CC's?) as I recall. I think it also offers the degrade since just adding sound builds to a potential snarling mess. It has some FX build in. There's a youtube video demo'ing it like a Frippertonics style looper.

There's always the possibility a programmer will take your specs and write a product to fit and deliver code in 2020.

If you can imagine it someone could build it for a fee. How does $5000 sound?

• Few apps that allow you to route stuff in wonderful ways: Moebius lab, ape matrix and aum and ilep.

• I will look into delays. Maybe AUFX dub?

Or 2 korg monotron delay in feedbacking ala Frippertronics (to keep it budget)...

(I can't find a video about Frippmonotronics)

extra:
    searching for videos I found this marvel.

• edited January 2019

Try Echo Pad by Holderness Media

• @waka_x

You can do that with Loopy and Audiobus (and AUM if needed), you can even add effects in the chain.

Just create that routing in Audiobus, you can select any Loopy slot to be recorded or global output:

Than tap with two fingers your loop you want to be overdubbed continuously, tap again to stop overdub, that can be done via midi control too. Here loop 1 overdub loop 1

• thanks everybody!
    janosax: this looks like a good sollution :)
    i'll try it today !

• edited January 2019

@McDtracy

Loopy already have free style looping mode :)

In track management settings, you have lot of synchronization options, with count-in/out recording/playing, quantize and play from start options, you can do lot of things here:

Just disable « synchronize tracks » for free looping:

It’s also possible to control that option via midi, in control inputs/bindings menu:

And you also have midi binding option to record loop without any count in/out, keeping your global settings intact:

Loopy rocks and is incredibly deep!! B) B) B) B)

• Audiodamage Enso will come soon'ish. I don't know the exact workflow, but I know @Chris_Randall uses a lot of looping techniques for his own ambient stuff, so I'm sure a lot of creative thought went into its design.

• @Janosax

But what you describe in your first post only works with one track right?
    You can't send the output of track x to the input of track x, can you?

• @waka_x

The dragadation you're looking for is in the track options of loopy.
    If you have the app, press and hold with one finger on one off the slot. Then the option of 'decay' should be there.

• edited January 2019

@ttk said:
    @Janosax

But what you describe in your first post only works with one track right?
    You can't send the output of track x to the input of track x, can you?

You can set a global Loopy output to Loopy input, or several Loopy slots outputs to Loopy input, but as Loopy input is global, what you need to do if you want loop 1 to be recorded to loop 1, loop 2 to loop 2, etc, is to use AB midi learn/control to toggle Loopy individual outputs AB mute buttons (each output having its own AB lane, you can toggle mutes inside AB directly if it’s not for quick live needs). I don’t see another way to do it. Also Loopy always record loops with an offset, not at the same time, except if you enable multi recording in settings.

But it you just want to record loop 1 on loop 5 for example, just set loop 1 as AB output routed to Loopy input, and tap on Loopy slot 5. That can be an overdub too. You can use several loops outputs and mute system here too.

• @Janosax said:
    @McDtracy

Loopy already have free style looping mode :)

In track management settings, you have lot of synchronization options, with count-in/out recording/playing, quantize and play from start options, you can do lot of things here:

Just disable « synchronize tracks » for free looping:

It’s also possible to control that option via midi, in control inputs/bindings menu:

And you also have midi binding option to record loop without any count in/out, keeping your global settings intact:

Loopy rocks and is incredibly deep!! B) B) B) B)

Thank you for taking the time to slip me these clues.

Do you have any advice regarding Blueboard latency?
    Does the Streambyter/BlueBoard Combo solve some of the start/stop headaches with your favorite Apps with LINK, MIDI start/stop, IAA start/stop and any other transport and sync related approaches. I saw you requested and got a StreamByter script written but I'm not sure what was solved. I realize this is a complex issue but you're my live performing expert and have solved many of these puzzles we all wrestle with.

• edited January 2019

@McDtracy

BlueBoard has two modes: standard PC/CC mode, and midi note mode. The second one has the same latency as any BT keyboard, around 15/20 ms I suppose.

The Streambyter module is excellent, allows for 24 actions but uses 50/100ms latency to allow multiple taps detection. This is normal, McMillen Sofstep2 too has 100 ms latency for multiple taps. That’s not a problem, as when using Loopy or Ableton Live I use 1 bar quantum sync, with 2 or 4 bars loops and count in/out. But if free looping is required, it should be needed to have a button for looper actions independant of Streambyter Blue Velvet module. 100% doable, and this will allow to have a button with very minimal latency. That being said I’ve used that Loopy/BlueBoard combo without Streambyter for one year, with only 4 buttons (Loopy allow for single and holding taps so that’s 8 actions, good enough to start, and minimal latency). That being said free looping is super tricky from a timing point of view, even with a wired connection.

For apps start/sync, I use AB/AUM/Loopy and a simple tap on AB play button will make all apps start/stop perfectly, with Link tempo sync. All AU will be synced to the host (AB/AUM), and I avoid others IAA apps. I have some hesitation to midi learn play/stop inside AB, I don’t want to stop all my playing stuff in the middle of my sax improvisation with a foot mistake. Perhaps double tap + hold will give enough safety, I plan to try this.

Last weeks I’ve done some extensive setup tests with the laptop and Ableton Live. Since a few days, I try a new AB/Loopy lighter setup without AUM for AB/Loopy presets change midi learn, to allow 10 songs or more changing with my foot. Have to see if it’s reliable and safe too, but I think it could be better than touching the screen in live situation for that.

Ableton don’t make easy to have 10 songs in one set. I need another Streambyter module or a new pedalboard with presets (Sofstep2) to do that.

The new module Nic wrote for me allows for pan randomization with some specific variables, to allow good stereo placement and avoid phase issues with recorded loops. I already used a non scripted similar technique with a double loopy setup with great success, but I need this SB module for simpler iOS setup and Ableton looper.

Both laptop and iOS setups are really complex, I’ve put lot of conceptualisation in them, and I can’t say for now which one is the most reliable, capable, or which one I prefer. What I can say is that iOS is still in the game, it’s even 50/50 for now :) One thing the laptop does better however for sure, is heat dissipation, the iPhone/iPad have much bigger issues with "under the sun" hot temps. But the easier to use live setup is on the iPhone, and I sound better with it for now too.

My Ableton setup just looks crazy, this is AUM in a DAW with some special routing, several songs, lot of groups, etc:

Sorry for thread hijacking :D :s :p

• I'm thinking that Mobius Lab should be able to get you there... In terms of mangling, there's not much it can't screw up! :)

• edited January 2019

@Janosax said:
    Sorry for thread hijacking :D :s :p

That's not thread hi-jacking... that's "added value". If you feel generous I'd love to get an AB setup config from you. I think it will bring along the StreamByter scripts and such. If you consider this to be proprietary info important to your art/business I respect that. You're miles ahead of most of us here with the application of these tools to making music live.

• RE-1 Virtual Tape machine
    Midi control
    drag and drop loops
    Sync and unsync tempo
    Overdub like you're on tape

• you can make the monotribe do a feedback loop by routing the output into the headphone jack.