Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SynthJacker

Comments

• Thank you!

• edited July 2019

@Jumpercollins said: Hope you can update us with a video of this new AU host feature in action?

Sorry it took a while, but that video you requested is out now. See around page 4 of this thread for the YouTube link!

• Very clear and easy to understand.

@coniferprod said:
    New SynthJacker demo video: how to autosample AUv3 instrument Audio Units on iOS

• McDMcD
    edited July 2019

I wish one of the IOS Music Channels guys did this so you could continue to create new enhancements!
    Like longer sample times for me!!! You can even call it experimental and add a "Musician General" warning label about storage being finite and the likelihood I will hit the wall and you can't "fix" the "stupid user bugs".

Great app for anyone that wants to run more quality sounding ROM-ples in their DAW's.
    NOTE: A ROM in this use case is a frozen clip of audio.

I want to ROM-ple my IAA Apps and can do it with Loopback on my Audio Interface.
    Synthjacker supports multi-port audio interfaces but only 1 stereo channel max so
    layering a lot of IAA's is still not possible unless you load them in AUM, I suppose. Hmm...
    just thought of that. Layer a massive mega-synth and SynthJack using Loopback. Still only 10 seconds max tho'. Damn. I'll wait. I want some evolving massive ambient textures that last 30 seconds in my ROM-ples, for example.

• @McD said:
    I wish one of the IOS Music Channels guys did this so you could continue to create new enhancements!
    Like longer sample times for me!!! You can even call it experimental and add a "Musician General" warning label about storage being finite and the likelihood I will hit the wall and you can't "fix" the "stupid user bugs".

Great app for anyone that wants to run more quality sounding ROM-ples in their DAW's.
    NOTE: A ROM in this use case is a frozen clip of audio.

I want to ROM-ple my IAA Apps and can do it with Loopback on my Audio Interface.
    Synthjacker supports multi-port audio interfaces but only 1 stereo channel max so
    layering a lot of IAA's is still not possible unless you load them in AUM, I suppose. Hmm...
    just thought of that. Layer a massive mega-synth and SynthJack using Loopback. Still only 10 seconds max tho'. Damn. I'll wait. I want some evolving massive ambient textures that last 30 seconds in my ROM-ples, for example.

Someone will PM me (again) and explain I can just do these long recordings using AudioShare and stop
    being a "whiny little putz." I'm holding out for an update anyway or an auto-ROM-pler feature in AudioLayer for example.

If AudioLayer supported SFZ that could help because I could use SynthJacker to make the SFZ and just swap out a selection of wave files with longer recordings since Ambience probably doesn't need 100 samples with layered velocities.

I will yield the remainder of my time to the developer or other engaged users.

• @McD said:

Well I wouldn’t mind that at all!

Hang in there McD, all in good time... I’m trying to have a holiday here, but it’s not really working, is it? :)

• Let’s put this idea out there: how about SynthJacker Online / Cloud for HW synths? You could put a multisampling job request on the queue and get a download link when it’s done. Controlled with the SJ app, of course. Monthly subscription with x minutes of sampling time. Your thoughts?

• Where are the synths?

• Initially they are in my studio, later maybe in yours or anyone else's -- if you wanted to put your synth online and execute sampling jobs, I could provide the tools and you'd get discounts / credits for jobs on other people's synths in proportion.

There have been at least a couple of projects to put synths online for playback, but the network latency is so big that it's not quite practical. Asynchronous batch jobs for creating multisamples would probably work better.

Just thinking aloud here :-)

• Interesting concept for sure. It's kind of a sound design / preset subscription service. Another question is how users would request stuff? Are they choosing from existing patches? Then, how it would it be different from something like loopcloud or sounds.com?

• @coniferprod said:
    Let’s put this idea out there: how about SynthJacker Online / Cloud for HW synths? You could put a multisampling job request on the queue and get a download link when it’s done. Controlled with the SJ app, of course. Monthly subscription with x minutes of sampling time. Your thoughts?

No interest in subscription. An iap for a job request maybe depending on what was available.

• @auxmux said:
    Interesting concept for sure. It's kind of a sound design / preset subscription service. Another question is how users would request stuff? Are they choosing from existing patches? Then, how it would it be different from something like loopcloud or sounds.com?

Let's say the service offers the possibility to "order" multisamples of any patch from synth A factory banks 1, 2, or 3. The options would be listed in SynthJacker. In addition, also third-party sound sets could be offered, if their licensing allows it.

The difference would be that the synths would be actual HW synths, maybe some interesting and rare ones. Also, you would be able to specify any velocities and notes you need/want (just like now in SynthJacker).

@BiancaNeve: subscription would not be the only option, but it could end up being more cost efficient than single runs, depending on how much you want.

Maybe I'll put a lander page up and see if there is enough interest.

• Wow sounds really interesting! I have an old Korg Trinity V3 in my closet but I have no space to place it for sampling😳

• I'm making a demo of autosampling Inter-App audio synths on iOS using a new feature of SynthJacker. Which IAA app would you most like to see used in this demo? One that is not AUv3 yet.

• But is Thor even IAA-compatible? I don't see it in the Cubasis IAA list, and the app description does not mention IAA.

• Mitosynth, Nave

• @coniferprod said:
    I'm making a demo of autosampling Inter-App audio synths on iOS using a new feature of SynthJacker. Which IAA app would you most like to see used in this demo? One that is not AUv3 yet.

Nice IAA's without loopback plumbing.

Animoog iPad or iPhone would be fun. Like all the Moog synths it never goes out of style.

(PS: Can you bump the sample time up so I can start building a great NS2 orchestra and not have to cut and paste by hand in an audio editor? NS2 only support 2 layers in Obsidian so loner samples allows for more realism in the final product by avoiding clumsy loop points. 20 seconds would be ideal).

• Thor is IAA, but only as a generator, not as an instrument.

• @coniferprod said:
    I'm making a demo of autosampling Inter-App audio synths on iOS using a new feature of SynthJacker. Which IAA app would you most like to see used in this demo? One that is not AUv3 yet.

Korg ODYSSei or Animoog

• If anyone feels up to it, could you please verify if audio recorded from an IAA app in Cubasis is shifted a little early in time. I'm consistently seeing a very small drift, but I thought it would be in the opposite direction (i.e. late, not early).

See attached screenshots. The note should start at 0'01,5 exactly. The audio file was recorded with Cubasis 2.8.1 from the Nanologue synth, using a MIDI file exported from SynthJacker. The events in the MIDI file look fine to me.

The funny thing is, if I import the same MIDI file into Logic Pro X, then select a software synth, and bounce the region in place, the notes start right on time.

Would appreciate any help / insight.

• @coniferprod said:
    If anyone feels up to it, could you please verify if audio recorded from an IAA app in Cubasis is shifted a little early in time.

I can't resist... "Have you opened a support ticket with Cubasis support?" I noticed yesterday that Steinberg (maker of Cubasis) is owned by Yamaha.

(Extra sample time please. I have stopped using the product waiting for an update or another product).

• @coniferprod said:
    If anyone feels up to it, could you please verify if audio recorded from an IAA app in Cubasis is shifted a little early in time. I'm consistently seeing a very small drift, but I thought it would be in the opposite direction (i.e. late, not early).

See attached screenshots. The note should start at 0'01,5 exactly. The audio file was recorded with Cubasis 2.8.1 from the Nanologue synth, using a MIDI file exported from SynthJacker. The events in the MIDI file look fine to me.

The funny thing is, if I import the same MIDI file into Logic Pro X, then select a software synth, and bounce the region in place, the notes start right on time.

Would appreciate any help / insight.

Can you provide a link to the midi file you’re using? Or at least the settings you’re using in SynthJacker?

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Can you provide a link to the midi file you’re using? Or at least the settings you’re using in SynthJacker?

Here is the MIDI file, as exported from SynthJacker:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpnst3ujh9ts179/NanologueFabulousBass.mid?dl=0

SynthJacker settings for the sequence:
    From Note: F2 (53)
    To Note: F3 (65)
    Semitones Between Notes: 3
    Velocity Layers: 60, 80, 120
    Note Length: 0.3 s
    Note Decay: 0.2 s
    Gap Between: 1.0 s

Seems that part of the first note is cut off, so it could just be that the Nanologue is not ready when the recording starts. (I'm on an iPad Air 2, not the most speedy model anymore).

I think I'll try to insert a dummy note before the actual sequence, to see if that primes the pump before recording.

• For what it’s worth I got it slightly behind the beat

• @BiancaNeve said:
    For what it’s worth I got it slightly behind the beat

Thanks for your trouble, appreciated. Where did this recording originate? Cubasis + Nanologue, or something else? Anything fishy with the MIDI file?

Either I try to solve this by introducing 1) a pre-roll time, so that you can leave a gap before the recording, and 2) a nudge time value to shift the slicing window left (negative nudge value) or right (positive).

Or... I just cop out and say that you need to make sure your first note is not cut (record some silence at the start), leave a good sized gap between the notes, and then trim the start of the recording so that the slicing offsets match. Then let the export trim handle the rest.

This feature-in-progress is essentially BYOAF, or Bring Your Own Audio File -- as long as it matches the MIDI file (which you will be able to export beforehand), the results are good. This was obvious from my experiment with Logic Pro X. But Inter-App Audio is what it is. So this is not about IAA hosting. I'm not nuts.

• @coniferprod : fwiw, Cubasis is known to have a somewhat inconsistent clock. A few people demonstrated this and posted pictures of various apps playing the same MIDI with the resulting audio. I think it was sixteenth note hi-hats.

Thor is IAA, btw, but there are IAA Instruments and Generators which results in differences in routing and where you load them in apps. If you do a Google search, you’ll find a tutorial post in AB Forum showing how to set up Thor in Cubasis.

• Cubasis and Nanologue, froze your midi file and loaded it into Hokusai.

• Bring your own Audio file sounds like a good compromise to me.

• edited September 2019

Really clever idea and I like the catchphrase a lot
    (Ooops that want meant to be that big :)

bypaf FTW haha 👊🏼😁