Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MultiTapDelay AUv3 by 4Pockets - Tutorial & Demo

MultiTapDelay, Autony, Unique Synth, Ruismaker, Rozeta XOX and AUM.
Very cool Multi-Tap Delay from 4Pockets.

Comments

• I was looking at their apps and decided to wait until I could hear them all before buying the bundle with this one in it. I think it's bundled with the one you did a few days back from 4Pockets.

I'm also interested in what their Pitch Shifter sounds like.

• @McDtracy I will be doing the Pitch Shifter in a few days time, so far I have done Shredder, FilterMorph and MultiTapDelay

• edited January 2019

@thesoundtestroom Do I get it right that each 'tap' can have a different type of modulation? (what options are there?. My eyes are getting bad so I could not see them clearly in the video).

I can't find any manuals for it either and I'm trying to stay away from casual app-purchases to avoid sinking deeper into app-o-holism which I'm slowly recovering from. ($100 in store-credits will have to do for quite some time).

I did get their Audio Shredder which is nice and the UIs are 'big enough' to be usable on the iPhone.

Even if I did get the Audio Shredder for a 'gate type effect' I did bump into a video for a gate by Infected Mushroom and I wish there was something like that on the iPad too... (It's called 'Gate Keeper').

• @Samu Yes you can assign a different mod source to each Tap

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    @McDtracy I will be doing the Pitch Shifter in a few days time, so far I have done Shredder, FilterMorph and MultiTapDelay

Thanks. They have a lot of bundles and I think I want that Shredder/Filtermorph/MultiTapDelay bundle. Pitchshifter isn't in a bundle.

@Samu Yes you can assign a different mod source to each Tap

Reverse is easy to grasp.

And Frequency is a 'Pitch Shifter'?
    And Filter is a 'Low Pass' Filter? (or selectable?).

They really should put out manuals for their stuff :)

• @Samu I’m pretty sure the Filter is a LP and not selective

@Samu I’m pretty sure the Filter is a LP and not selective

Thanks, I'm collecting tools for use on my iPhone 8 and have already 'filtered out' plenty of universal apps that are just plain 'un-usable' with too microscopic UIs.(Ie. too tiny touch UI elements). The 4Pockets stuff I have so far is quite usable.

Gadget is/was a 'close call' while Korg Electribe Wave for me is un-usable on the iPhone 8.
    (Too many small elements making it next to impossible to tap the correct UI elements).

I may end up 'completing' the 'bundle' since I already got the Shredder thing :)

• edited January 2019

@Samu said:

The apps should be free but really hard to understand and they should make amazing demos and then sell documentation.

As it is now, the apps are close to free, often impenetrable without @Samu giving away clues and documentation is rarely
    delivered and when it is no one reads it (except for @Samu of course because he's detail oriented).

I'm slowly reading (and re-reading) the StreamByter manual and
    it's still really, really hard. @_Ki is helping me with good code examples. Programmers like to write apps and not documentation.

PS - Tip Doug on his Patreon for good service helping you spend wisely on MORE APPS.

• Their pitch shifter has huge latency, not playable in real-time.

• @Samu said:
    @thesoundtestroom Do I get it right that each 'tap' can have a different type of modulation? (what options are there?. My eyes are getting bad so I could not see them clearly in the video).

I can't find any manuals for it either and I'm trying to stay away from casual app-purchases to avoid sinking deeper into app-o-holism which I'm slowly recovering from. ($100 in store-credits will have to do for quite some time).

I did get their Audio Shredder which is nice and the UIs are 'big enough' to be usable on the iPhone.

Even if I did get the Audio Shredder for a 'gate type effect' I did bump into a video for a gate by Infected Mushroom and I wish there was something like that on the iPad too... (It's called 'Gate Keeper').

I like the sound of that @Samu. Although I’d kick that shaded guy in the ass if I was there.

• @Janosax said:
    Their pitch shifter has huge latency, not playable in real-time.

I'm curious about it's potential for thickening a single instrument to sound like multiple instances... like 1 sax becoming 2-3 without introducing "phasing" effects. Shift 1 up a bit and another down a bit. This could be a post recording process applied like freezing to audio is.

This use case surfaced in another thread and the MultiTapDelay if it can use single digit delays or this pitch shifter were potential FX that might be effective. I'm guessing a lot of Chorus effects already do something like this. Is that true? Does a chorus use pitch shifting or delays or both?

• edited January 2019

@McDtracy said:

@Janosax said:
    Their pitch shifter has huge latency, not playable in real-time.

I'm curious about it's potential for thickening a single instrument to sound like multiple instances... like 1 sax becoming 2-3 without introducing "phasing" effects. Shift 1 up a bit and another down a bit. This could be a post recording process applied like freezing to audio is.

This use case surfaced in another thread and the MultiTapDelay if it can use single digit delays or this pitch shifter were potential FX that might be effective. I'm guessing a lot of Chorus effects already do something like this. Is that true? Does a chorus use pitch shifting or delays or both?

I tried it and it was sounding pretty good. I haven’t tested it extensively as I was searching for real-time playable pitch shifter, but for post processing it could be interesting. Note that the host should do proper latency compensation, like AUM, Audiobus 3 or GarageBand but not apeMatrix, I don’t know for other iOS hosts.

• @Janosax said:
    I tried it and it was sounding pretty good. I haven’t tested it extensively as I was searching for real-time playable pitch shifter, but for post processing it could be interesting. Note that the host should do proper latency compensation, like AUM, Audiobus 3 or GarageBand but not apeMatrix, I don’t know for other iOS hosts.

It came up in a thread about using a single instrument track and making it sound like a section. One violin becoming the violin section in a project. One female voice becoming the Altos, etc.

I'm wondering how various common FX meet this challenge.
    The poster of the thread just started cloning and adding tracks and got phasing problems. So he wanted to get the effect without phasing. We thought pitch shifting or small delays might resolve phasing. I think pitch insures the best hedge against phasing (canceling or adding frequencies not present in the original source). I should Google Chorus effects because the name implies it takes your instrument and makes it a chorus so
    that's the idea. I just think people liked their chorus with extra effects thrown in and a pure chorus might be hard to find because it might not sell like the swimmy swirly effects we all love for guitars. Roland named a whole line of Amps after that sound and effect.

• edited January 2019

@McDtracy said:

@Janosax said:

It came up in a thread about using a single instrument track and making it sound like a section. One violin becoming the violin section in a project. One female voice becoming the Altos, etc.

I'm wondering how various common FX meet this challenge.
    The poster of the thread just started cloning and adding tracks and got phasing problems. So he wanted to get the effect without phasing. We thought pitch shifting or small delays might resolve phasing. I think pitch insures the best hedge against phasing (canceling or adding frequencies not present in the original source). I should Google Chorus effects because the name implies it takes your instrument and makes it a chorus so
    that's the idea. I just think people liked their chorus with extra effects thrown in and a pure chorus might be hard to find because it might not sell like the swimmy swirly effects we all love for guitars. Roland named a whole line of Amps after that sound and effect.

Just pan each voice differently, you can also EQ them individually, and a stereo widener (on all voices via a group) like Haaze also helps a lot with intelligibility and presence. This is what I do with my saxes and no phases issues. And you’re right, pitched voices with no dry sources except original track will also evidently help with that. The best host to do that on iOS is AUM IMO, you can use busses instead of track/file clones, and create a group for all tracks common processing. With Cubasis you can try to use apeMatrix send receive AU.

• @McDtracy said:

@Samu said:

The apps should be free but really hard to understand and they should make amazing demos and then sell documentation.

As it is now, the apps are close to free, often impenetrable without @Samu giving away clues and documentation is rarely
    delivered and when it is no one reads it (except for @Samu of course because he's detail oriented).

I'm slowly reading (and re-reading) the StreamByter manual and
    it's still really, really hard. @_Ki is helping me with good code examples. Programmers like to write apps and not documentation.

PS - Tip Doug on his Patreon for good service helping you spend wisely on MORE APPS.

I’ve been software engineering for 25+ years and actually enjoy writing, and proof-reading, documentation ... sometimes more so than the coding.

And it is only at this point I realise I’m actually meant to be a creative writer.

Time to change focus then.

And yes, Doug deserves support in whatever manner people see fit.

Gunna complete my bundle with this one.

• @Janosax for the Win. Thanks!

• For anyone that owns this I would love to know:

In the non-sync mode what is the smallest time interval you may select for the delays in millisecs? I'd like 1 ms but could probably use single digits.

• edited January 2019

@McDtracy said:
    For anyone that owns this I would love to know:

In the non-sync mode what is the smallest time interval you may select for the delays in millisecs? I'd like 1 ms but could probably use single digits.

10 ms

• @Rodolfo said:

@McDtracy said:
    For anyone that owns this I would love to know:

10 ms

Too bad. Still $4 per FX and each seems well designed. On my wish list for sure. It's a long list and I have invested in so many FX lately. The Shredder seems interesting but Perferator has ben waiting patiently for me to take it home.

• @McDtracy said:

effect without phasing. We thought pitch shifting or small delays might resolve phasing. I think pitch insures the best hedge against phasing (canceling or adding frequencies not present in the original source).
    it might not sell like the swimmy swirly effects we all love for guitars. Roland named a whole line of Amps after that sound and effect.

it's been accomplished with different techniques/tricks in hardware. Roland were very accomplished, using multiple lfo's, multiple delay lines, phase, comb filtering, eq, compression and expansion. the dimension D (and C) were used everywhere. also, dynatronics tri-stereo chorus (heard in many recordings). my favourite was the ensemble used in the solina string ensemble ( a triple chorus with some tricks ). when solina's could be purchased cheaply, some would pull the triple chorus out and put it behind a panel for use with their modular.

a few terms that might be used for these type of effects are;

triple chorus, tri-stereo chorus, ensemble, multi-voice, dimension. they are a little different in how they accomplish multiple voices. they all sound good, just a matter of preference/s. some of these circuits also used simple compression and expansion (downward and upward), eq, phase manipulation, micro-delay, exciters, etc.

playing with phase was part of the sound, just like an ensemble of real players ( they don't play in perfect unison/phase - timing inconsistencies is part of the ensemble effect ), playing in a real space ( phase inconsistencies, natural reverberation/space).

some players use pitch transposers for detuning; one panned left, one panned right, one center, all with slightly different (small - semitone) pitch settings. it sounds a little like chorus. pitch transposers/harmonizers all have some latency, that's the nature of the buffer that's required for this type of effect.

isn't haaze using the haas effect, together with phase (non lfo/sweeping)? i don't own it.

i don't own the 4pockets MultiTapDelay. providing it allows non-sync times (milliseconds), and frequency modulation that can modulate the time in milliseconds, you will be able to get some nice ensemble type sounds. the developer has been responsive to any questions that i've had regarding effect details, but manuals are nice.

virsyn emo chorus does multiple voice/choir simulation.

kai aras VC-1 does many types of chorus.

audio damage quatromod does a few types. some that are uncommon.

fac chorus has a few types of chorus.

DRC has a free one called DLYM. very good. can't believe it's free.

these are all very good. i'm sure there are others on IOS.

i think that @Janosax is a pitch shifter/harmonizer fan. is that correct, or is that another forum member janosax?

would love to hear some input about ios pitch shifter/harmonizer preferences, and reasons why. i like them all for different reasons.

• edited January 2019

@frond

I use FAC Chorus, Phasethree, Quadromod, Zero Chorus, DLYM, and nice Electrogene.

For real-time/playable pitch shifting: VoiceRackFX, Discord4, Voicesynth (This one allows to play pitched voices via midi).

Haaze is very nice as it can makes signal wider only on certain frequencies, using Haas and split EQ.

I use all of those because they just sound good, with different colors/results and experimental capabilities, and don’t have huge latencies, which allow for real-time playing.

• Woodulator is also excellent and deep.