Shortcuts app will Decompress Files like zip and more.
You must have Apple's Shortcuts app installed on your iOS device. Extract File☁️ is a shortcut for decompressing a file in the following formats: zip, rar, tar.gz, tar.bz2, tar, gzip, cpio, cab, and iso archives. Click on the link to save the shortcut to the Shortcuts app on your device. The files you want to decompress must be accessible via the Files app in order to use this shortcut.
- Make sure you have a destination folder for the extracted files already created. Frequently when a file is decompressed it can create lots of files without a top folder to place them in which can create a mess.
- Open the Shortcuts app and select the Extract File☁️ shortcut.
- A documents view will appear (similar to when you open the Files app).
- Navigate to the location where you have the file you want to decompress and select it.
- The shortcut will extract the files.
- A document view will appear. Navigate to the destination folder as detailed in step one.
- For each additional file you want to decompress, repeat the process starting from step one.
I plan to learn more about the Shortcuts app as I believe it has the potential to automate a lot of the tasks on iOS which are currently very tedious and much easier to do on other platforms.