Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM and iOS12 crashing?

I get a weird crash of AUM which seems to be due to ios12 'cleaning'?

Nearly every time I use my iTrack Dock, and even just one running a couple of apps in AUM, after a little while I notice random latency start to occur, and I know that AUM is about to crash. Sure enough - then I notice the other app icons flashing quickly in succession, which I understand is some sort of ios12 cleaning routine.

Is there any way to disable this, or is there some way of stopping this happening? My iPad is a 2017 model currently on 12.1

Apparently this cleanup feature only occurs when charging, but since the iTrack Dock does that automatically, it's going to keep happening every time I use it!

Comments

• You haven’t said what apps are running in AUM, and how many instances. It sounds to me more like you’re running out of memory or there is a poorly behaving app in the mix. Surely it’s not happening with just AUM running by itself?

• Just one instance of Ravenscroft plus FAC Chorus and Eos2 on another live input channel. I've checked the cpu and it's never above 50% even when playing hard. However this crash has occurred with different apps as well - Audiokit Synth 1, Neo Soul Keys for ex.

• Generally, if I do overload the cpu with apps in AUM, it's not AUM that crashes, just the individual app. The icon flickering is a strange behaviour I've only recently observed since upgrading to iOS 12. Other people have commented on this which is where I got the info that it was some sort of auto clean-up that occurs when charging.

• wimwim
    edited January 2019

Some things you may have already tried, but I’ll throw them out there anyway since this definitely isn’t normal behavior. Are you sure all other apps are closed? Have you tried clearing out “ghost” apps and/or rebooting your iPad? Do you have adequate free storage on your iPad? Does it behave the same when charging with a regular charger rather than the iTrack Doc? What are your buffer settings in AUM?

• edited January 2019

Yes, all other apps are closed. Ghost apps? Not exactly sure what they are. Have tried clearing RAM and/or rebooting. Everything behaves itself until the next day when I use the set-up. I have used only 57Gb of my 128Gb. I haven't tried a standard charger, no but I will for comparison. The iTrack set-up is my live gigging rig so I do need to have this behave itself! I have used this set-up for quite a while without any problems, even with the same configurations on older iOS versions. It also works fine with my Air2 on iOS 10.3! AUM buffer is 256.

• Its stable on my iPad Pro 2018. only Not optimized GUI sucks.

• I haven't seen AUM crash in a very long time. Keep in mind that overloading the CPU is a very different thing from overloading the RAM. In fact, very rarely does CPU overload cause crashing. Stuttering? Sure, but crashing is usually due to memory-related problems which can happen even if the CPU is picking its nose.

• edited January 2019

The iTrack Dock is known for having a somewhat unstable Lightning connector. I have two of them, one has been out for repair two times.
    I had similar issues, and indeed, please try running your AUM setup without the Dock.

• @SilentObserver said:
    Yes, all other apps are closed. Ghost apps? Not exactly sure what they are. Have tried clearing RAM and/or rebooting. Everything behaves itself until the next day when I use the set-up. I have used only 57Gb of my 128Gb. I haven't tried a standard charger, no but I will for comparison. The iTrack set-up is my live gigging rig so I do need to have this behave itself! I have used this set-up for quite a while without any problems, even with the same configurations on older iOS versions. It also works fine with my Air2 on iOS 10.3! AUM buffer is 256.

You mention that you notice the problem "the next day" after clearing RAM. You should be cleaning up the RAM with a soft reset right before using the apps

To soft reset: hold down the sleep button until it asks if you want to power down. Release the sleep button then hold the home button for several seconds until the reset is done and you are back at the home screen.

• I had AUM get stuck on the splash screen when trying to start it last night.
    Wouldn’t load at all, until I did the RAM refresh trick.
    Might be the only time AUM has ever given me a hassle.

• @CracklePot said:
    I had AUM get stuck on the splash screen when trying to start it last night.

Exact thing happened for me for the first time today with AUM. Reset and all was good. Something in the air maybe.

• I had a recent Aum crash too. Was shocked and stunned I can tell you! Don’t ever remember Aum crashing before

• Might be the OS, particular apps, or overloading routing. But I've had AUM freeze on me more than once. And quit on me as well. Even after restarting the iPad (2017 pro lots of memory).

Switching rapidly between presets in many apps seems to either quit the app or AUM sometimes independent of CPU load.

Freezing seems to happen using AU's and or IAA and bouncing back and forth between them and AUM.

Using Aphelian in particular (in the first release) driving midi into AUM hosted synths either AUM or Aphelian would be taken out. Fixed in lastest update so now only Aphelian disconnects and AUM stays up and running. This leads me to conclude that it was a MIDI issue for this particular case.

• @j_liljedahl
    Yup, switching between presets while running midi patterns either in IAA or AU hosted synths crashes AUM. Not “so much” the lighter footprint apps like Laplace and Viking synth but “definitely” the heavier ones like Aparillo and Animoog. Maybe it’s the load of running routing MIDI to synths while quickly previewing patches. Just banging on keys to preview each synth patch doesn’t seem to do it.

• @CracklePot said:
    I had AUM get stuck on the splash screen when trying to start it last night.

Exactly one of the scenarios I've encountered as well!

• @audiblevideo said:
    @j_liljedahl
    Yup, switching between presets while running midi patterns either in IAA or AU hosted synths crashes AUM. Not “so much” the lighter footprint apps like Laplace and Viking synth but “definitely” the heavier ones like Aparillo and Animoog. Maybe it’s the load of running routing MIDI to synths while quickly previewing patches. Just banging on keys to preview each synth patch doesn’t seem to do it.

Haven't had an AUM crash in that instance, just apps hosted within AUM. However there IS an update coming this week that addresses the Aparillo memory hog!

• @brambos said:
    I haven't seen AUM crash in a very long time. Keep in mind that overloading the CPU is a very different thing from overloading the RAM. In fact, very rarely does CPU overload cause crashing. Stuttering? Sure, but crashing is usually due to memory-related problems which can happen even if the CPU is picking its nose.

There is definitely something in that as I've discovered that an app called Transcribe+ (which is awesome btw) often causes an AUM crash, as I imagine it's consuming a whole heap of memory for its audio processing. However, after an AUM crash, whether related or not, the flickering of various icons is disconcerting to say the least!

• @audiblevideo said:
    @j_liljedahl

Do you mean switching between presets in the synth? I can't see how that could make AUM itself crash, but would be happy if you can tell me how to reproduce it. Are you running the app store version or the beta of AUM?

• @j_liljedahl said:

@audiblevideo said:
    @j_liljedahl

Do you mean switching between presets in the synth? I can't see how that could make AUM itself crash, but would be happy if you can tell me how to reproduce it. Are you running the app store version or the beta of AUM?

Yes switching between presets in the synth. I’ll re-enact my last crash and see what happens. I’ll give you the circumstances soon (today)