Does anybody have a Novation Peak?

I'm considering getting a Novation Peak and wondering if anybody already has one and plays/sequences/records it via their iPad and has any comments about the ease or not of doing that.

MidiSynth-Peak for iPad is due for iOS release soon, any experience of using MidiSynth-Peak for OSX?

TIA

Comments

  • I guess that's a no.

  • @RUST( i )K said:
    I guess that's a no.

    There's lots of people so absorbed with their Peak they just haven't had time to check the forum today.

  • @mungbeans said:

    @RUST( i )K said:
    I guess that's a no.

    There's lots of people so absorbed with their Peak they just haven't had time to check the forum today.

    Hahaha! Perfect. I know I'd be in that camp if I had a Peak. And didn't work. :D

    If I can start completing music with the hardware synth(s) I bought - which hasn't happened yet in the 2 months I've had them, then my goal is to get a used Peak next year.

  • i don't have one but if i had to pick a hardware synth to own it would be the peak.
    FPGAs are the future! loads of different waveforms to choose from.
    combined with a lovely analogue filter-ooh :)
    i'm hoping novation bring out a pk4, 4 voice version because the peak is pretty expensive for me and i don't think i'd use all 8 voices so much.
    i'd use modstep for sequencing it.

  • I’m almost 100% certain it will work very easily, it’s got a usb that you can slam in and set up with a camera connection kit. Novation is pretty friendly with that stuff.

  • Peak is definitely one of those synths on my radar, very well done and a perfect size too.

  • Yep. I have a monosynth now (SE-02) and - if I can be productive with it - think adding a polysynth would compliment it perfectly. Everything else can be VST or iOS! I'm making a go at completing a song with just the SE-02 and a drum VST. I'm at the 1 minute "wall" and hope to break through.

  • edited January 10

    Yes I have one. My workflow ends in Ableton, but I have used Refraktions and other iOS apps to drive the Peak. No issues at all. It's fun to be able to tweak physical knobs.

    I have downloaded a few patches (installed with Novation Components) but I prefer to make my own by starting from the default patch, or extensively modifying the existing patches.

    I didn't know about MIDISynth Peak but I'm checking it out now, thanks!

    EDIT: Whoa dude MIDISynth Peak is fantastic! I especially love the randomization feature. I've already saved some wild and wonderful new patches!

  • Peak seems a lot of bang for the buck from what I’ve heard. It’s near the top of the list of what I’m considering
    adding next to my fairly new HW collection, consisting so far of DM12, Neutron and Deluge. I think I’ll be set after that and maybe a digitone.

  • @Eschatone said:
    Peak seems a lot of bang for the buck from what I’ve heard. It’s near the top of the list of what I’m considering
    adding next to my fairly new HW collection, consisting so far of DM12, Neutron and Deluge. I think I’ll be set after that and maybe a digitone.

    I can confirm the Deluge is fantastic too, especially with the new firmware that was just released, which supports waveform view and multisample patches.

  • edited January 10

    @jigglypuff said:

    @Eschatone said:
    Peak seems a lot of bang for the buck from what I’ve heard. It’s near the top of the list of what I’m considering
    adding next to my fairly new HW collection, consisting so far of DM12, Neutron and Deluge. I think I’ll be set after that and maybe a digitone.

    I can confirm the Deluge is fantastic too, especially with the new firmware that was just released, which supports waveform view and multisample patches.

    The multisampling addition is my first update I’ve applied since buying, and I’m absolutely thrilled with it! I’ve been using a 64gb microsd filled with samples from all the komplete 12 ult. Maschine expansions, but now I’m definitely going to need a larger card (256gb atleast) once I start converting and loading up .SFZ and other format multis.

    It’s definitely exceeded my expectations with everything from standalone use, sequencing HW + vsts, but also found it perfect for on the go jamming/composing along with iPad. Icing on the cake is it uses same battery as my e-cig vape rig, so always got enough power for 12+ hours of heavy use. ;)

  • @Eschatone said:

    @jigglypuff said:

    @Eschatone said:
    Peak seems a lot of bang for the buck from what I’ve heard. It’s near the top of the list of what I’m considering
    adding next to my fairly new HW collection, consisting so far of DM12, Neutron and Deluge. I think I’ll be set after that and maybe a digitone.

    I can confirm the Deluge is fantastic too, especially with the new firmware that was just released, which supports waveform view and multisample patches.

    The multisampling addition is my first update I’ve applied since buying, and I’m absolutely thrilled with it! I’ve been using a 64gb microsd filled with samples from all the komplete 12 ult. Maschine expansions, but now I’m definitely going to need a larger card (256gb atleast) once I start converting and loading up .SFZ and other format multis.

    It’s definitely exceeded my expectations with everything from standalone use, sequencing HW + vsts, but also found it perfect for on the go jamming/composing along with iPad. Icing on the cake is it uses same battery as my e-cig vape rig, so always got enough power for 12+ hours of heavy use. ;)

    I know we are getting off topic, but what do you use to convert the Kontakt sounds to a format Deluge can use?

  • edited January 11

    @mungbeans

    Yeah the Peak is great.

    I have my hardware in a constant desk setup. All of which has audio going into the Zoom L12 LiveTrak and Midi through the Novation Audiohub. Both of these are routed into the iPad via an Anker Usb dongle and a CCK.

    I've not used the MidiSynth-Peak app much but I have created a few templates in Midi Designer. This one was for the Mod Matrix when it required more menu diving on the hardware. They've at least updated that in the latest firmware so there is less page-switching now. Previously needed to switch between 2 pages to see destination and then sources, which is the main reason I created this one page mod matrix view. Still really useful to see everything at a glance on one big page as the hardware still only displays one matrix slot at a time.

  • @jigglypuff said:

    @Eschatone said:

    @jigglypuff said:

    @Eschatone said:
    Peak seems a lot of bang for the buck from what I’ve heard. It’s near the top of the list of what I’m considering
    adding next to my fairly new HW collection, consisting so far of DM12, Neutron and Deluge. I think I’ll be set after that and maybe a digitone.

    I can confirm the Deluge is fantastic too, especially with the new firmware that was just released, which supports waveform view and multisample patches.

    The multisampling addition is my first update I’ve applied since buying, and I’m absolutely thrilled with it! I’ve been using a 64gb microsd filled with samples from all the komplete 12 ult. Maschine expansions, but now I’m definitely going to need a larger card (256gb atleast) once I start converting and loading up .SFZ and other format multis.

    It’s definitely exceeded my expectations with everything from standalone use, sequencing HW + vsts, but also found it perfect for on the go jamming/composing along with iPad. Icing on the cake is it uses same battery as my e-cig vape rig, so always got enough power for 12+ hours of heavy use. ;)

    I know we are getting off topic, but what do you use to convert the Kontakt sounds to a format Deluge can use?

    http://www.chickensys.com/products2/translator/formats.html
    https://www.extranslator.com

    I’ve only demoed one of those two converters before, though it’s been a while. I believe it was the chickensys one, pretty incredible number of supported patch formats with that one.

    It also has an auto capture feature to automatically turn your VST or hardware synth patches into multisample .wav libraries, though I’m not sure how well that works compared to something dedicated like:
    http://www.soundlib.com/samplit/

  • Peak I feel is better priced at the $960 range to be honest.

    I mean no keyboard almost $1500?

    I love Novation don't get me wrong.

    Fingers crossed NAMM brings a Novation "Digitakt" type price model for a new synth.

    I looked and seems the Nova's are no longer being supplied to many wholesales and are near gone on some I priced them on.

    Leads me to think clearing the herd......

    Anyway.

    I wish I had $1500 to drop but don't .

    However, I think the Digitone is a something I may get in the next couple weeks NAMm pending.....

  • edited January 11

    Truly analog polysynths are $$$ for sure, and Peak is better than most at the price. The latest firmware update won't make them any cheaper, any time soon (which is why I'm thinking maybe 2020 for me). I think the KORG Prologue is a close competitor at the price - and it's keyboard only, which takes it out of the running for me, and the Prophet 8 rev2 desktop, as well... which is tempting in its own ways. Maybe NAMM will introduce some new variable into the mix, as you said.

Sign In or Register to comment.