Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DRC Update produces a hard crack and then disables audio

Comments

• I’ve actually had this happen with other apps. The one that comes to mind was the RE-1 tape delay. If the low cut was low enough and feedback was high enough it would rumble into audio destruction (the loud crackle then silence). I had to restart the iPad every time. I crash my audio all the time in AUM with too many constant midi messages (like an LFO) The levels still show sound is generating but I have to do a full iPad restart to get an audio back. I’m using the iPad Pro 10.5 2017 FYI.

My guess would be that some sort of overload crashes the audio driver and requires a restart.

• edited January 2019

Hey,

I was just reading all the comments in here. I think people are referring two distinct issues and a couple of confusions along the way.

For us, the AUv3 is a plugin which can be hosted in DAW that can freeze tracks. We went old school here and we render noise each 60 seconds to avoid the usage of the plugin in a non licensed way (the very same mechanism we have for the desktop version). That is a white burst of noise for half a second. Having the synth engine unlocked, that goes way.

The hard pop crack that kills the sounds is definitely a segmentation fault somewhere. I was confident to release because there was plenty of beta testers saying the same thing, it was stable. But I have got to the conclusion that not every device suffers from the same problem. This makes the bug trickier to solve but I will definitely investigate it and submit an update ASAP.

A lot of things changed behind the curtains and now that it has got to more people those problems will arise.

Also, I'm quite certain that login in into the profile section will not have any impact. I believe this are just coincidences. When a bug is ALWAYS replicable, it much easier to sort out. Therefore if you have a procedure that is able to reproduce the problem, just let me know in the most clear way.

Thank you all for your feedback and patience. It will be sorted out! :blush:

• @tja said:

@tja said:
    I de- and re-installed the App, restored the purchases - and the problem seems to be gone!

No, 1 minute later it happens again.
    Needs a fix.

Is the developer forum member?

I had a similar issue. Uninstalled and reinstalled and I was fine. Reported the issue as being fixed. Went to use it again and had the same problem. The pop is insanely loud and made me concerned I was damaging my speakers. Issue seems to be happening to people on different versions of iOS but so far I haven't seen someone mention that they weren't on a Pro. 10.5" Pro over here. I was asked to capture footage of it and will give that a go after I finish up work.

• My only problem so far is that the AU version kept making a static sound ..had to close it, open standalone and restore purchases , as restore wasn’t working within AU. I’m on latest iOS w/ 2017 iPad Pro 12.9

• edited January 2019

@tja said:
    Just starting the App with the Preset "Aspirate", playing some notes and then 3 notes at the same time, gives a realy hard crack and then audio is disabled.

I tried 3 times, every time the same.

After killing the App, sound comes back... till the next test with 3 notes.

iPad Pro 9.7 with latest iOS

I couldn't replicate this on my iPad Pro 12.9 running iOS 12.1. I was really pushy with the tests:

a) running DRC in debug through Xcode I have launched AUM
    b) loaded one instance and put some keys on hold
    c) loaded another instance and put some keys on hold
    d) loaded a third instance and put some keys on hold
    f) i have started to change patches as faster as I could by tapping the next preset button

No crash! Pretty stable. I will try tomorrow with a slower device, an iPad mini 2 with 4 years running iOS 10.3

This is definitely those kind of problems that are hardware dependent. What the experience tells me is that under certain condition of processor frequency and memory, there might be a bigger chance of the problem to manifest itself. We just need to find a way of triggering this condition in a consistent way across several devices. I will keep looking.

• I just experienced the crackle problem by playing the Reece factory preset (even reverting the patch to its initial state is causing the crackle). I am using a 12.9 iPad Pro, and the problem never occured during beta (but I didn’t try this specific preset)

• tjatja
    edited January 2019

@sinosoidal I never tried the AU version in a host.
    I just started the standalone!
    And nothing special was needed, just playing some notes up and down, several notes together and / or waiting for some minute.

And the App does not crash!

Anything I can deliver to you?

• @AudioGus said:

@overorange said:
    Just experienced the Pop of Doom on my iPad Mini 4 using standalone DRC. The Reece patch did it for me as well.

Opened KEW and tried to play something, but audio was dead. Shutting down the iPad mini and restarting fixed it. Avoiding DRC for now. Glad I wasn’t using headphones and had the volume low when that happened!

One thing you can do for quicker restarts (more like memory refreshes) is hold down the power button and when the slide button comes up just hold down the home button for a few seconds and it does a quick memory refresh without need for a reboot. Vital for iOS music in these unfortunately still early days of woe.

Indeed. I’ve done that a number of times. I’ve been seeing a bit of sluggishness here and there, and thought it might be good to power all the way down. I’m beta testing a Linux shell-in-a-sandbox app and thought that might have had something to do with the lag. Hygeinic reboot time!

• @Eschatone said:
    My only problem so far is that the AU version kept making a static sound ..had to close it, open standalone and restore purchases , as restore wasn’t working within AU. I’m on latest iOS w/ 2017 iPad Pro 12.9

When the plugin doesn't have the synth engine purchase unlocked, it will generate a white noise every 60 seconds. That's normal. In-app purchases don't work inside the AUv3. That operations needs to be done from the standalone app.

Right now there are something that are not clear for the users. AUv3 is a very new context to us. We will try to enhance it with users feedback.

• @tja said:
    @sinosoidal I never tried the AU version in a host.
    I just started the standalone!
    And nothing special was needed, just playing some notes up and down, several notes together and / or waiting for some minute.

And the App does not crash!

Anything I can deliver to you?

If you find a replicable pattern. Let me know. Until then we are in the dark. I will keep investigating.

• @sinosoidal said:

@Eschatone said:
    My only problem so far is that the AU version kept making a static sound ..had to close it, open standalone and restore purchases , as restore wasn’t working within AU. I’m on latest iOS w/ 2017 iPad Pro 12.9

When the plugin doesn't have the synth engine purchase unlocked, it will generate a white noise every 60 seconds. That's normal. In-app purchases don't work inside the AUv3. That operations needs to be done from the standalone app.

Right now there are something that are not clear for the users. AUv3 is a very new context to us. We will try to enhance it with users feedback.

You might want to make it more clear that it does that. Or at least place a limiter on the white noise spike so that noone blows their speakers.

• @sinosoidal said:

@Eschatone said:

Thanks. was an easy fix, as I’ve dealt with similar issues with other apps in the past and knew what to do; Though I suspect it might throw some newer users off at first.

I had purchased all of the IAP/synth engine over a year ago and everything was already activated in standalone before I updated, Though I didn’t think about it having to re-validate iap .. I need to make a habit of loading standalone first after updates in the future I guess.

• @Eschatone said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Eschatone said:

Thanks. was an easy fix, as I’ve dealt with similar issues with other apps in the past and knew what to do; Though I suspect it might throw some newer users off at first.

I had purchased all of the IAP/synth engine over a year ago and everything was already activated in standalone before I updated, Though I didn’t think about it having to re-validate iap .. I need to make a habit of loading standalone first after updates in the future I guess.

What's particularly new with this release (and the source of a lot of problems with existing users) is that in order to share files between the standalone and the plugin we had to use a feature called App Groups. That invalidates all the previous settings and local files to a whole new context. On the next update, there should be no problem.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Eschatone said:

You might want to make it more clear that it does that. Or at least place a limiter on the white noise spike so that noone blows their speakers.

Are you talking about the noise that comes out in every 60 seconds when you are in demo, or the problem people are reporting as crack pop, audio killing problem?

• @sinosoidal said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Eschatone said:

Are you talking about the noise that comes out in every 60 seconds when you are in demo, or the problem people are reporting as crack pop, audio killing problem?

@sinosoidal FYI - in case you missed it, I am getting disappearing audio in NanoStudio 2 with the DRC AU. One instance seems to work fine but with a second the audio will drop out sooner or later. There is no pop or noise. Sometimes restarting the app will bring it back and sometimes not. I noticed it seems to drop out when changing patches during sequence playback.

• edited January 2019

To any and all - once you've had the loud cracking sound and it has seemingly gone away after rebooting or whatever you've tried, does it reoccur? I'm curious as now I'm wary of using DRC (which pains me as I'm a supporter of the dev and love the app) but the first couple of random noise "instances" that I experienced were startling and loud enough that I was concerned for doing damage to ears, as I was wearing headphones at the time.

Not trying to be an alarmist but am trying to be careful. Thanks for any info.

• Has the loud crack ever happened as AU or is it always standalone?

• @kinkujin said:
    To any and all - once you've had the loud cracking sound and it has seemingly gone away after rebooting or whatever you've tried, does it reoccur? I'm curious as now I'm wary of using DRC (which pains me as I'm a supporter of the dev and love the app) but the first couple of random noise "instances" that I experienced were startling and loud enough that I was concerned for doing damage to ears, as I was wearing headphones at the time.

btw - i'm using the term "loud crack" as it seems to be how people are describing it. My experience was more of a droning, distorted honk tone.

• @kinkujin said:

@kinkujin said:

btw - i'm using the term "loud crack" as it seems to be how people are describing it. My experience was more of a droning, distorted honk tone.

I reserve ‘Droning, distorted honk tone’ for the name of my next album.

Or the noise my Mrs makes when I’ve done something wrong.

• @gusgranite said:
    Has the loud crack ever happened as AU or is it always standalone?

For me it began in AU but now seems to be primarily in standalone.

• @AtticusL said:

@kinkujin said:

@kinkujin said:

I reserve ‘Droning, distorted honk tone’ for the name of my next album.

Or the noise my Mrs makes when I’ve done something wrong.

No charge! hehe

• My "crack" was nearly like some electrostatic, rupt unloading, like a lightning.
    Realy loud and I had the volume to very low.

• @tja said:
    My "crack" was nearly like some electrostatic, rupt unloading, like a lightning.

I put this in the other thread but take a look at what happens to me https://streamable.com/zhjxx

When my speaker audio cuts off (or headphones) I no longer hear anything but the recording shows that there is a long tail on the burst and that the app audio still responds to my keypresses even though it seems dead to me. The burst itself on the recording doesn't even sound like the burst I hear. It's more 'musical'. Also seems to come in waves of 10-12 seconds.

• @rezidue

Interesting.
    My effect is totally different and I will not retry that again, as I realy fear to damage my device!

How did you record this video?
    I only know the iOS screen recording, but that does not record audio.

• @rezidue said:

@tja said:
    My "crack" was nearly like some electrostatic, rupt unloading, like a lightning.

I put this in the other thread but take a look at what happens to me https://streamable.com/zhjxx

When my speaker audio cuts off (or headphones) I no longer hear anything but the recording shows that there is a long tail on the burst and that the app audio still responds to my keypresses even though it seems dead to me. The burst itself on the recording doesn't even sound like the burst I hear. It's more 'musical'. Also seems to come in waves of 10-12 seconds.

Yup that's it!

• Yeah better be careful, I'm getting the spike in the AU and it can be very loud.

• @tja said:
    @rezidue

Interesting.
    My effect is totally different and I will not retry that again, as I realy fear to damage my device!

How did you record this video?
    I only know the iOS screen recording, but that does not record audio.

My spike is horrible and I fear my speakers will blow. Especially bad on expensive IEM. iOS screen recording captures audio for me. It's just sounds completely different (the lack of the pop and audio not dying after) when I record it vs what I experience over speakers.

• I was curious so I had a go at recreating this so I played around with DRC in Aum for quite a while with no problems. So then I decided to load the infavous reese patch and boom! Nasty shrill momentry noise and then the audio is broken in Aum.

I can recreate this in Aum, it has done the same three times in a row on my iPad Air 2 running latest iOS 12.1.1. Steps
    Load DRC as auv3 in aum and load the reese patch
    Load Roseta Bassline and add three C notes, one which has a tie for an extra note.
    Link bassline to DRC and press play.

Good luck @sinosoidal

• @Richtowns said:
    I was curious so I had a go at recreating this so I played around with DRC in Aum for quite a while with no problems. So then I decided to load the infavous reese patch and boom! Nasty shrill momentry noise and then the audio is broken in Aum.

I can recreate this in Aum, it has done the same three times in a row on my iPad Air 2 running latest iOS 12.1.1. Steps
    Load Roseta Bassline and add three C notes, one which has a tie for an extra note.

Good luck @sinosoidal

I was having a hard time reproducing in AU but this worked reliably for me.

• @Richtowns said:
    I was curious so I had a go at recreating this so I played around with DRC in Aum for quite a while with no problems. So then I decided to load the infavous reese patch and boom! Nasty shrill momentry noise and then the audio is broken in Aum.

Good luck @sinosoidal

This is great! I can reproduce the crack. This is definitely a starting point. Thanks for sharing this with me!! It's late now here in Portugal but I will focus on this tomorrow. ;)