Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Will the Octatrack solve all my looping and slicing problems?

13»

Comments

• @Dchild said:

@Dchild said:

@mistercharlie said:

@Dchild said:

@syrupcore said:

@Dchild said:
    Watching this guys tutorials convinced me to buy an OT.

Was planning on watching that video once I was finished reading the thread. My bank account, my partner and I would like to thank you for this PSA. Ain't gonna watch it.

Don’t go near them 😂 the guy has a whole series on how he uses the Octatrack for live performance.

I’m glad I brought it, started playing around with pickup machines last night. Mind blown 🤯

I managed to get it working as a basic looper. Next I plan to add those pickup recorders to a flex track so I can chop them up.LFOs are still beyond me… for now :)

Yet to dig into the more generative side of the machine using LFOs for random slice selecting.

I think I’m still only using like 15% of the machine.

Heard there’s something coming that OT users will be happy about 😜

As long as it’s not an Octatrack mk3.

No, I think it will be a firmware update with some extra goodies.

Adding midi out manipulation to scenes would be epic! Search tube for 7 minute pickup machine guide. Great simple explanation. Got me going straight away.

Ah ha! I haven’t seen that one. Very cool. Thanks a lot!

• OT: For anyone who has chosen the Digi instead of the Octa...

• @Dchild said:
    >

thanks for the heads up, super intrigued!

• @kobamoto said:

@Dchild said:
    >

thanks for the heads up, super intrigued!

Me too. Any more hints on this, @Dchild ?

• @Dchild said:

A fix for the "Dub Rec Aborted" bug (slave pickup machine) would make me happy.

Also MIDI access to the slicing functions - none right now.

• edited January 2019

I love my Octatrack for sequencing iOS synths thru AUM

• Stop it, I'm trying not to upgrade to the MKII and you're not helping 😫

• @echoopera said:
    I love my Octatrack for sequencing iOS synths thru AUM

Wow!

• edited January 2019

@Tarekith said:
    Stop it, I'm trying not to upgrade to the MKII and you're not helping 😫

Seek ye not to answer a desire, but do feed the hunger for it sustains and fulfills you...

I don’t know if that helps or hinders you 😳🤪

• Makes me hungry for breakfast actually.

• @Tarekith said:
    Makes me hungry for breakfast actually.

Is “Break Fast” a new step sequencer from Waldorf?

• one can only hope

• This thing is like Photoshop for audio. It does everything!

It’s so well designed . Just like using Photoshop for the first time, you have to bend your mind around some tricky concepts (layers and mask in Photoshop, for example), but then it starts to click, and the Octatrack’s “keyboard shortcuts” soon become second nature.

There’s a hell of a lot to learn though!

• ok Tarekith got a Q or 2

1. does the octatrak allow you to connect a velo sensitive pad midi controller and play and record with velocity pads?

2. Does It have anything like the CNTRL-ALL feature

3. is the scene morphing feature recordable into the sequencer on a per step basis?

• @kobamoto said:
    ok Tarekith got a Q or 2

1. does the octatrak allow you to connect a velo sensitive pad midi controller and play and record with velocity pads?

Not that I'm aware of, you can use external midi but it doesn't record velocity.

1. Does It have anything like the CNTRL-ALL feature

Yes if you use the xfader.

1. is the scene morphing feature recordable into the sequencer on a per step basis?

Nope, it's not recordable at all in fact.

• @Tarekith said:

@kobamoto said:
    ok Tarekith got a Q or 2

Not that I'm aware of, you can use external midi but it doesn't record velocity.

1. is the scene morphing feature recordable into the sequencer on a per step basis?

thanks man, it's weird how elektron go to the extreme of providing such great features like that in the first place only to not allow them to be sequenced... I know a lot of people want that on the digitakt as well.. still if they don't announce anything new at namm it's going to be hard to resist getting an octa sometime this year

• @kobamoto said:

@Tarekith said:

@kobamoto said:
    ok Tarekith got a Q or 2

thanks man, it's weird how elektron go to the extreme of providing such great features like that in the first place only to not allow them to be sequenced... I know a lot of people want that on the digitakt as well.. still if they don't announce anything new at namm it's going to be hard to resist getting an octa sometime this year

The fader cannot be recorded into OT seq, but it will send/receive midi, so can be recorded in your daw -> automated.
    Tbh never used it as such, because in my opinion the whole point is playing it live.

• thanks recccp, why do you think the whole point is playing it live, a little birdie told me that you could just loopback via standard midi cable... the made it send/receive midi for just this reason probably?

• @kobamoto said:
    thanks recccp, why do you think the whole point is playing it live, a little birdie told me that you could just loopback via standard midi cable... the made it send/receive midi for just this reason probably?

Well, as I see it, the crossfader/scenes are just collections of parameter locks, so sequencing that would be redundant. It might sometimes make things faster and easier, but the same thing can be achieved by locking all appropriate parameters. Locking the fader would take away it's expressiveness and playability.

• @Dalle said:

@kobamoto said:
    thanks recccp, why do you think the whole point is playing it live, a little birdie told me that you could just loopback via standard midi cable... the made it send/receive midi for just this reason probably?

Well, as I see it, the crossfader/scenes are just collections of parameter locks, so sequencing that would be redundant. It might sometimes make things faster and easier, but the same thing can be achieved by locking all appropriate parameters. Locking the fader would take away it's expressiveness and playability.

This!
    +more often than not it's about happy accidents. You'll lock parameters that you think will makes sense and sometimes it does for few simple transitions other times you'll find many unexpected interesting states in between. It's about expressiveness.
    But this is just me... there is no right/wrong... OT used differently by different people. Midi loopback will work if that's what you need.

• @rs2000 said:
    OT: For anyone who has chosen the Digi instead of the Octa...

That's clever. I really only ever use my DT with short samples. Or small regions of longer samples—not 'loop' samples. I need to stretch out, so to speak. :)

• BAHHHH. OT is the business. Elektron seriously knows what’s up and this particular machine is like a sampling/ looping cure all.

• @syrupcore said:

@rs2000 said:

That's clever. I really only ever use my DT with short samples. Or small regions of longer samples—not 'loop' samples. I need to stretch out, so to speak. :)

Yep! I do like the idea because you don't have to care about timing so much, you just use the recording auto-start by threshold and you're free to trigger the sample from wherever you want it in the pattern.

• @rs2000 said:

@syrupcore said:

@rs2000 said:

Yep! I do like the idea because you don't have to care about timing so much, you just use the recording auto-start by threshold and you're free to trigger the sample from wherever you want it in the pattern.

Yes, that's exactly what's appealing. I just picked up a used Circuit on the cheap and I'm looking forward to using it to free up some drum sample tracks on my DT so that I can do more stuff like the above.

With INF on the AMP decay, do you have to manually cut it off via silent trig or something if you switch patterns?

• edited January 2019

@syrupcore said:

@rs2000 said:

@syrupcore said:

@rs2000 said:

Yes, that's exactly what's appealing. I just picked up a used Circuit on the cheap and I'm looking forward to using it to free up some drum sample tracks on my DT so that I can do more stuff like the above.

With INF on the AMP decay, do you have to manually cut it off via silent trig or something if you switch patterns?

I never really cared because the audio tracks are monophonic anyway, so the next note on the same track will kill it.
    Or else just add a p-lock with reduced decay time on the last step if you prefer a nice short fade-out :)