PSA: Don't update to iOS 12.4 if you use apps in AB output slot or IAA apps that use the mic.
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34030/urgent-psa-hold-off-updating-to-ios-12-4-if-you-use-apps-in-output-slot-in-audiobus

Will the Octatrack solve all my looping and slicing problems?

I’ve been trying to make the iPad into a live looper and slicer for a long time. My instrument is the guitar, and I combine it with beats and looped samples.

The problem is that there’s no way to record a loop as I’m playing the song, and then slice and manipulate that loop right away. Blocs kinda does it, but the slicing is limited and the app has no MIDI (foot) control.

Egoist has an amazing slicer, but you have to stop and load a file into it. It doesn’t accept live input.

I’ve even tried syncing my H9 pedal with its amazing looper algorithm to the iPad, but MIDI sync isn’t Link, and it’s so unstable and delicate that I gave up.

This has led me to the Octatrack, which will let me play into it, and then immediately start chopping up the samples with real knobs. The thing is, it’s over a grand to get started on that. It’s worth it if it works, though.

Anyone with experience of live looping/sampling using Octatrack? Any advice?

«13

Comments

  • I haven't experience with Octatrack but did you consider Pioneer Djs1000? It has this playback recorded loop option and also is a playable sample slicer by definition. Midi io and foot control programable. I don't own it but I studied a bit its manual searching for similar solution.

    Also maybe Stagelight adds slicer in Sampleverse in the future... (if it hasn't ATM what I'm not sure)

  • Yes you can do that on the OT, and you can even have the loops you record pre-sliced too. You can probably find MK1 units for a decent price these days, and the slicing and looping are the same as the newer ones.

  • @TheDubbyLabby I’ll definitely check the pioneer.

    @Tarekith Nice. You’re helping me on my way towards spending all that money.

  • One thing I would suggest is taking a look for some looping how to videos on YouTube first, just to make sure the OT workflow fits your way of working. It's a powerful box, but not super immediate so you'll likely need to spend a bit of time with it before it all clicks into place.

  • @Tarekith said:
    One thing I would suggest is taking a look for some looping how to videos on YouTube first, just to make sure the OT workflow fits your way of working. It's a powerful box, but not super immediate so you'll likely need to spend a bit of time with it before it all clicks into place.

    I’ve been trying to find some good guitar looping videos. So far I like Cuckoo’s stuff quite a lot.

  • I’m also happy to invest some fine in learning a machine. I grew up using manual film cameras, so I understand the value of learning a complex device. Plus I already know the software isn’t good enough.

  • Have you seen this video:

  • @Tarekith said:
    One thing I would suggest is taking a look for some looping how to videos on YouTube first, just to make sure the OT workflow fits your way of working. It's a powerful box, but not super immediate so you'll likely need to spend a bit of time with it before it all clicks into place.

    This one of the main reasons I look into Djs1000. Seems a launchpad/blocs/groovebox in a box

  • @echoopera said:
    Have you seen this video

    I have now!

    @TheDubbyLabby said:

    @Tarekith said:
    One thing I would suggest is taking a look for some looping how to videos on YouTube first, just to make sure the OT workflow fits your way of working. It's a powerful box, but not super immediate so you'll likely need to spend a bit of time with it before it all clicks into place.

    This one of the main reasons I look into Djs1000. Seems a launchpad/blocs/groovebox in a box

    It does look quite tempting. It’s a bit more DJ-like than I was looking for, but that’s no problem. I’ll search out some videos.

  • Jump into 4:30 where he records and start playing a loop from synth.

    This for pad modes (includes slice)

    Also get how choke works ala Launchpad.

  • edited January 7

    @mistercharlie said:
    I’ve been trying to make the iPad into a live looper and slicer for a long time. My instrument is the guitar, and I combine it with beats and looped samples.

    The problem is that there’s no way to record a loop as I’m playing the song, and then slice and manipulate that loop right away. Blocs kinda does it, but the slicing is limited and the app has no MIDI (foot) control.

    Egoist has an amazing slicer, but you have to stop and load a file into it. It doesn’t accept live input.

    I’ve even tried syncing my H9 pedal with its amazing looper algorithm to the iPad, but MIDI sync isn’t Link, and it’s so unstable and delicate that I gave up.

    This has led me to the Octatrack, which will let me play into it, and then immediately start chopping up the samples with real knobs. The thing is, it’s over a grand to get started on that. It’s worth it if it works, though.

    Anyone with experience of live looping/sampling using Octatrack? Any advice?

    IMHO

    Depends on what you do.

    I use Loopy and rely on AB remote to control it.

    I use Twisted Wave on MacBook and IOS for quick edit and Fx

    I am highly proficient at using this set up on the fly as well as studio.

    I love ReSlice and Yellowfied as well as SECTOR for slicing.

    MAINLY BLOCS WAVE AS WELL!

    I got the OCTA and I don't have it anymore.

    The ease of my apps and programs with Airdrop was unrivaled for the always changing sounds I use.

    I guess your proficiency is the key to the question.

    I also know that when I used the Digitakt side by side with OCTA the Digitakt had better sound in an obvious way.

    If you shuffle files around a lot I don't think OCTA is a good fit to be honest.

  • My instant response would have been Beatmaker 3.
    Loopy HD works great too and has perfect MIDI Clock Sync, but you can't slice with it.
    Groove Rider also syncs 100%, better than LINK ever could, and it can slice very well but you'll have to sample in a different app and open in GR16.
    Another type of workflow is using a DAW, recording your stuff in one go and slice later by cutting and re-arranging the audio track. Not necessarily a bad thing, that's how Imogen Heap did many of her songs in ProTools.

    If MIDI Clock doesn't work for you then something is wrong in your setup, most likely the app doesn't work as it should.

  • edited January 7

    @RUST( i )K said:

    I also know that when I used the Digitakt side by side with OCTA the Digitakt had better sound in an obvious way.

    That’s not the first time I’ve heard that. The Digitakt doesn’t loop though, which is a shame. A new Octatrack with the ease-of-use of the Digitakt sounds like a dream.

    If you shuffle files around a lot I don't think OCTA is a good fit to be honest.

    Good to hear. This is where apps are so great. Even if you end up wasting €50 on one you don’t like, it’s not the end of the world.

    @rs2000 said:
    My instant response would have been Beatmaker 3.

    I’ve tried BM3 over and over, but can’t seem to make it work how I want it - as a live looper and a slicer.

    If MIDI Clock doesn't work for you then something is wrong in your setup, most likely the app doesn't work as it should.

    Or user error…

  • @rs2000 said:
    My instant response would have been Beatmaker 3.
    Loopy HD works great too and has perfect MIDI Clock Sync, but you can't slice with it.
    Groove Rider also syncs 100%, better than LINK ever could, and it can slice very well but you'll have to sample in a different app and open in GR16.
    Another type of workflow is using a DAW, recording your stuff in one go and slice later by cutting and re-arranging the audio track. Not necessarily a bad thing, that's how Imogen Heap did many of her songs in ProTools.

    If MIDI Clock doesn't work for you then something is wrong in your setup, most likely the app doesn't work as it should.

    BM3 can do live looping? Or you are suggesting working in junction with loopy?

  • Just wondering if you are familiar with this one.
    I have never used it, but it seems geared toward guitarists.

    Ostinator-looper,sampler by Living Memory Software
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ostinator-looper-sampler/id1038887269?mt=8

  • @TheDubbyLabby said:
    BM3 can do live looping? Or you are suggesting working in junction with loopy?

    At least you can record a new clip while a previously recorded one (or more simultaneously) plays in a loop in scene mode.

  • edited January 7

    Duplicate post

  • @CracklePot said:
    Just wondering if you are familiar with this one.
    I have never used it, but it seems geared toward guitarists.

    Ostinator-looper,sampler by Living Memory Software
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ostinator-looper-sampler/id1038887269?mt=8

    Loopy will time-stretch your recorded audio live even when synced over MIDI Clock (!), but as far as I can see both can't slice.

  • @TheDubbyLabby said:

    @Tarekith said:
    One thing I would suggest is taking a look for some looping how to videos on YouTube first, just to make sure the OT workflow fits your way of working. It's a powerful box, but not super immediate so you'll likely need to spend a bit of time with it before it all clicks into place.

    This one of the main reasons I look into Djs1000. Seems a launchpad/blocs/groovebox in a box

    But no Mic in. Why do more and more brands skip the Mic in with there samplers/ grooveboxes?

  • @mannix said:

    @TheDubbyLabby said:

    @Tarekith said:
    One thing I would suggest is taking a look for some looping how to videos on YouTube first, just to make sure the OT workflow fits your way of working. It's a powerful box, but not super immediate so you'll likely need to spend a bit of time with it before it all clicks into place.

    This one of the main reasons I look into Djs1000. Seems a launchpad/blocs/groovebox in a box

    But no Mic in. Why do more and more brands skip the Mic in with there samplers/ grooveboxes?

    Well it’s target towards cdjs but impedance matcher solves the problem (and they are cheap). I see it with beatboxer’s eyes too... :wink:

  • @rs2000 said:

    @TheDubbyLabby said:
    BM3 can do live looping? Or you are suggesting working in junction with loopy?

    At least you can record a new clip while a previously recorded one (or more simultaneously) plays in a loop in scene mode.

    How is going scene launch btw? I unninstalled BM3 time ago and now I more into stagelight...

  • @CracklePot said:
    Just wondering if you are familiar with this one.
    I have never used it, but it seems geared toward guitarists.

    Ostinator-looper,sampler by Living Memory Software
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ostinator-looper-sampler/id1038887269?mt=8

    That’s more of a straight looper, which is neat, but I have a bunch of those.

  • @TheDubbyLabby said:

    @rs2000 said:

    @TheDubbyLabby said:
    BM3 can do live looping? Or you are suggesting working in junction with loopy?

    At least you can record a new clip while a previously recorded one (or more simultaneously) plays in a loop in scene mode.

    How is going scene launch btw? I unninstalled BM3 time ago and now I more into stagelight...

    Go to Scenes tab, create enough audio tracks and tap-hold on an empty audio clip location on the first audio track to record the first clip.
    Start playback with the first clip enabled and tap-hold the second audio clip location to record ("overdub") while listening to the first clip and so on, I guess there's no limit on how often you can do this, record as many clips as you like.

  • What about the organelle. I am sure you will find a patch that suits your needs !

  • @rs2000 said:

    @TheDubbyLabby said:

    @rs2000 said:

    @TheDubbyLabby said:
    BM3 can do live looping? Or you are suggesting working in junction with loopy?

    At least you can record a new clip while a previously recorded one (or more simultaneously) plays in a loop in scene mode.

    How is going scene launch btw? I unninstalled BM3 time ago and now I more into stagelight...

    Go to Scenes tab, create enough audio tracks and tap-hold on an empty audio clip location on the first audio track to record the first clip.
    Start playback with the first clip enabled and tap-hold the second audio clip location to record ("overdub") while listening to the first clip and so on, I guess there's no limit on how often you can do this, record as many clips as you like.

    But still not midi mapping... right? I think that was what made me desist. I need hands-free setup. Thanks anyway mate! :heart:

  • edited January 8

    @TheDubbyLabby said:

    @rs2000 said:

    @TheDubbyLabby said:

    @rs2000 said:

    @TheDubbyLabby said:
    BM3 can do live looping? Or you are suggesting working in junction with loopy?

    At least you can record a new clip while a previously recorded one (or more simultaneously) plays in a loop in scene mode.

    How is going scene launch btw? I unninstalled BM3 time ago and now I more into stagelight...

    Go to Scenes tab, create enough audio tracks and tap-hold on an empty audio clip location on the first audio track to record the first clip.
    Start playback with the first clip enabled and tap-hold the second audio clip location to record ("overdub") while listening to the first clip and so on, I guess there's no limit on how often you can do this, record as many clips as you like.

    But still not midi mapping... right? I think that was what made me desist. I need hands-free setup. Thanks anyway mate! :heart:

    You're welcome :smiley:

    I have another idea for you:

    • Loopy HD to record loops live (you can map MIDI controls to almost anything in Loopy!)
    • Share any recorded track to Groove Rider for slicing and further sound mangling
      In Groove Rider, you can have up to 16 different loops for slicing which is up to 256 slices per pattern.

    @TheDubbyLabby, @mistercharlie
    I think that's the best you can get atm, until I someone has a better idea :D

  • Maybe this thing from another world, but... Ableton live .

  • @Tarekith said:
    One thing I would suggest is taking a look for some looping how to videos on YouTube first, just to make sure the OT workflow fits your way of working. It's a powerful box, but not super immediate so you'll likely need to spend a bit of time with it before it all clicks into place.

    Yep took me a while, but once it clicks it’s an amazing machine. Having an idea about what you want the machine to do first is a good idea, because it can do many things.

    @echoopera said:
    Have you seen this video:

    Watching this guys tutorials convinced me to buy an OT.

  • @waterdrop said:
    Maybe this thing from another world, but... Ableton live .

    That would involve a computer!

Sign In or Register to comment.