Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

App Store Bundles Always Charge More than apps value?

Can anyone tell me why this is? I’ve not bothered saying anything but thought worth asking. It used to be that if I owned a few apps in a bundle I could get the remaining ones very cheap if I bought through the bundle. Now, whenever I look at any bundle it will ask for a much higher price for the single app I don’t own, if I own the other apps than I would be charged buying it individually. I’d really like to be able to use these again, and it was only seeing someone posting how they got something free through one the other day that made me wonder if it’s just me

Edit.. example being the ifretless bundles. Being asked £13 for the guitar bass bundle when I already own bass and guitar is 9.99 on its own

Comments

• Did you get the other app in a sale?

• edited January 2019

@brambos said:
    Did you get the other app in a sale?

Quite possibly, it happens with every single bundle in this situation, in te AppStore. But then I may have bought apps involved in sales in all of them lol. Do you get stiffed for the rest of the value of the app you saved in the sale then, when buying a bundle? Pretty outrageous if so, to try to charge you for money you saved in the past on an app you already own

• edited January 2019

Guessing this may be one of apple’s million draconian and non functional systems relating to the AppStore that devs have to work round - similar to the reason Auria has to have two versions so people don’t lose in app purchases.

Edit: not sure this makes much sense. Why am I being charged 13 pounds? The numbers don’t make sense. If I was charged 7.99 or 9.99 originally for ifretless bass so saved 5 or 7 pounds... and guitar is now worth 9.99

• Outrageous lol
    You're not forced to complete the bundle. You can buy the remaining app at its normal price. You're simply not getting additional discount, because you haven't spent "enough" to be eligible for further discount.

• @recccp said:
    Outrageous lol
    You're not forced to complete the bundle. You can buy the remaining app at its normal price. You're simply not getting additional discount, because you haven't spent "enough" to be eligible for further discount.

Yes, pretty much this. Bundle discounts are primarily meant for sweetening the deal when you buy the entire bundle in one go.

• edited January 2019

@recccp said:
    Outrageous lol

@brambos said:

@recccp said:
    Outrageous lol

Yes, pretty much this. Bundle discounts are primarily meant for sweetening the deal when you buy the entire bundle in one go.

The first comment is incorrect, and the second I think missing the point I was making which wasn’t on any right to deals etc. You are not ‘simply not getting additional discount’, you are being charged more than the app is worth on its own, so that you would be having to pay money you saved on a sale on an app you already own. You would not only not get an additional discount, but be charged extra for money you saved buying an app in a sale in the past. Not at all the same. In fact, the amount doesn’t even reflect the difference. I didn’t say you’re forced to complete the bundle, or even that you should get an additional discount, but it’s completely idiotic and confusing (as shown by no one being able to explain the pricing) that the bundle isn’t priced in a way that at least reflects the amount the apps would cost you anyway. I wasn’t commenting on people trying to rip you off, although that is what would happen if someone unthinkingly bought the bundle. It’s not an attack on anyone except the seeming arbitrariness of whatever system is causing it, and really not difficult to understand unless very defensive about things for some reason.

• Yeah I seriously do not understand that system as well. It’s fine that you cannot get the rest of a bundle for the same price if you bought one app on sale (or even received it for free) but the price of the bundle should never be higher than the sum of all the apps in it. It simply makes no sense and may lead unknowing and uncaring people throwing money out of their window into Apple’s yard.

• edited January 2019

When you're at the grocery store, do you get the "4 APPLES AT THE PRICE OF 3" promotion by buying 3 apples and saying that you already bought an apple yesterday? ;)

• edited January 2019

@SevenSystems said:
    When you're at the grocery store, do you get the "4 APPLES AT THE PRICE OF 3" promotion by buying 3 apples and saying that you already bought an apple yesterday? ;)

No, but the greengrocer doesn’t say, ‘oh wait wait hang on.. you bought an apple on sale before? In that case I’m going to have to charge you the price of four and a half apples for these three’

:D

Incidentally, what you describe is actually exactly how the AppStore bundle system works.

Hapless and pairs.

• For what it’s worth, this hasn’t been my experience. The bundles are always cheaper than the total of their apps for me, even when completing one later. Sometimes bundles are even surprisingly cheap to complete for me like 99 cents or even free. If you buy that one app you really wanted at full price, when rest of the apps in that bundle go on sale at some point completing the bundle will usually be almost free. Im surprised you’ve had this issue and I’ll start watching closer now!

• To me it doesn't seem to be confusing...
    Complete bundle price = bundle price - what you paid for the app(s) included in the bundle
    Say app A 4.99, B 4.99, C 4.99, ABC bundle 12.99
    If you paid full price for apps A&B (9.98) complete bundle will be 3.01 or you can buy it separately for 4.99
    If you bought A&B on sale (for say 2.99 each) complete bundle price will be 7.01 or you can buy it separately for 4.99 - I agree it would be better if app store would automatically present the best price for an app in this example 4.99 vs 7.01, but it is not that difficult to find it out for yourself.
    Also adjusting bundle prices with sales is like asking for additional 5-10% off while the dev is offering 30/50/70% off already.

• @recccp said:
    To me it doesn't seem to be confusing...
    Complete bundle price = bundle price - what you paid for the app(s) included in the bundle
    If you paid full price for apps A&B (9.98) complete bundle will be 3.01 or you can buy it separately for 4.99
    If you bought A&B on sale (for say 2.99 each) complete bundle price will be 7.01 or you can buy it separately for 4.99 - I agree it would be better if app store would automatically present the best price for an app in this example 4.99 vs 7.01, but it is not that difficult to find it out for yourself.
    Also adjusting bundle prices with sales is like asking for additional 5-10% off while the dev is offering 30/50/70% off already.

Good point. This is actually what I had always assumed....perhaps when I’m shocked a remaining bundle is so cheap I should just go back and do the reasearch properly and I’m sure it adds up haha.

Just wanted to add though that bundle prices do get adjusted for sales!

Recent example:

DDMF Bundle
    Total of individual purchases: $47.95
    Normal bundle price: $29.99
    Total of individual purchases on sale: $27.95
    Sale bundle price: $17.99

Oh what a deal it was 🤘

• @marmakin said:

@recccp said:
    To me it doesn't seem to be confusing...

Good point. This is actually what I had always assumed....perhaps when I’m shocked a remaining bundle is so cheap I should just go back and do the reasearch properly and I’m sure it adds up haha.

Just wanted to add though that bundle prices do get adjusted for sales!

Recent example:

DDMF Bundle
    Total of individual purchases: $47.95
    Normal bundle price: $29.99
    Total of individual purchases on sale: $27.95
    Sale bundle price: $17.99

Oh what a deal it was 🤘

Yes, sometimes it does, not always... the point is it shouldn't be taken for granted

• Buy all the bundles!!!!
    Haha I don't know, honestly most of these apps are worth more than their asking price, and while it is nice to get a deal on a bundle I would say if you got an app on sale you already cashed in on that discount so they may not offer you that original bundle price due to that, other wise everyone would get things free or hella discounted and that wouldn't be fair

• I always thought that Apple allows devs to put their apps on sale, but are looking to recoup their 30% of the full price, so a double-discount is a no-go.

• My favorite scenario is when you have all but one app in a bundle, all paid for at full price, and then the final app in the bundle is free.
    I think that happened to me me twice.

• @reasOne said:
    Buy all the bundles!!!!
    Haha I don't know, honestly most of these apps are worth more than their asking price, and while it is nice to get a deal on a bundle I would say if you got an app on sale you already cashed in on that discount so they may not offer you that original bundle price due to that, other wise everyone would get things free or hella discounted and that wouldn't be fair

Haha oh for sure. Even the expensive apps are underpriced compared to anything on desktop or, god forbid, hardware lol. I usually buy the apps I really want at full price (both to support the developer...aaaand because I’m way too impatient haha). The apps I’m getting for dirt cheap in completed sale bundles are apps that I probably wouldn’t have bought otherwise so I think it’s kind of a win win.

• It does make sense, it just isn’t user friendly. What you’re expecting is to get credit for the full price of an app you bought on sale. Let’s say you bought a shirt at a $10 discount. Then you notice that a buying a full suit is $50 off. So you decide to return the shirt and buy a full suit. Do you expect to get back full price for the shirt, or what you actually paid for it?

Basically, you’re getting back what you paid for the individual apps you already own in the bundle. It doesn’t make sense to get back more than what you paid for those apps.

But, I agree it seems totally wrong until you really think it through. The real problem is the App Store should make it clear when the bundle price is not a saving, and why. Possibly they should prevent purchasing it if it would add up to more than buying the individual parts.

• edited January 2019

@wim said:
    It does make sense, it just isn’t user friendly. What you’re expecting is to get credit for the full price of an app you bought on sale. Let’s say you bought a shirt at a $10 discount. Then you notice that a buying a full suit is $50 off. So you decide to return the shirt and buy a full suit. Do you expect to get back full price for the shirt, or what you actually paid for it?

Basically, you’re getting back what you paid for the individual apps you already own in the bundle. It doesn’t make sense to get back more than what you paid for those apps.

But, I agree it seems totally wrong until you really think it through. The real problem is the App Store should make it clear when the bundle price is not a saving, and why. Possibly they should prevent purchasing it if it would add up to more than buying the individual parts.

I see what you’re saying but this doesn’t make sense on a couple of levels and also it isn’t even the case as te numbers don’t add up.

Respecting the numbers, I bough ifretless bass ages ago. I suspect it was in sale. This would have been either 7.99 or 9.99. If I go to get the bundle with ifretless guitar it asks for 13 pounds. The current and normal price of guitar is 9.99. That’s an extra charge of 3.01. The normal price of bass was 14.99 I think. So if they were taking back money I had legitimately saved on a sale, it would be either 5 or 7 pounds not this weird 3.01 figure. I’m assuming there’s, if not logic, at least a predictable mechanism at work, apologies if someone has explained it and I missed but no one had earlier.

Then... on the larger theoretical point... If you buy something on sale, why should you later have that sale price reneged on if trying to purchase as part of a bundle. You’re not expecting anything extra just to have the price at which you bought something respected as you are not getting anything more. That’s the real rationale when you look at it. If you buy in a bundle, the sale price is reneged on. It’s a moot point in practicality as you can go and buy the app separately, but you were addressing the issue of it making sense (as neither of us and I don’t think anyone here thinks they’re entitled to another discount or anything). And that isn’t right, whether or not you can sidestep it.

I’m certain it’s some aspect of the ridiculously clumsy, cluttered, unprofessional, and half broken way the AppStore is run and functions under the hood. The fact Auria has now to be sold in two versions is one of the many many examples of how devs have to work around Apple. The company could do with growing at least one ear to balance out its many mouths. Anyway, don’t wish to be negative, it’s just irritating.

Edit: I see someone has explained I think what’s going on. It’s still reneging on sale price via the stiffness of that system but it’s nice to know what’s actually happening, thanks! And like others have said it doesn’t matter anyway, and apps are generally great prices. It was just annoying coming across this all the time, while others didn’t and not knowing the mechanics

• Oh well. It is what it is. Caveat emptor.

• @wingwizard
    It probably adjusts to the bundle(slightly lower) price for all the apps in the bundle, not to the regular full price.
    That is why you would still save 2-3 pounds on the bundle price for iFretless if you hadn’t purchased it before. If you bought it on sale, they try to recoup the difference between the lower sale price and the slightly lowered bundle price.

• I completed blamsoft bundle for free yesterday when I only owned the reverb, so this problem is not always happening.