Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• $31 of my Aussie dollars ... not a snap purchase for me, might do some research on the sounds first, not overly familiar.

Nice to see they’ve recreated an 80s user interface too (I know, stop being so superficial, it’s all about the sounds ...)

• Any similar sounds? Is there any vst plugin of it?

• There is an Arturia version of the same engine - Doug at soundest did a demo of that.

It sounds amazing - listen to Mr Heartbeat by Laurie Anderson or something like Civilization, Phaze III by Zappa for what the Synclavier sounds like. Its the same software ported to new platforms by the original makers

I'm less convinced by their porting of the original UI (& their bizarre obsession with their knob!) but I'll likely end up with this anyway......

• I so want it. I so wanted the Korg WaveStation though and never use that now.

• @pagefall said:
    There is an Arturia version of the same engine - Doug at soundest did a demo of that.

It sounds amazing - listen to Mr Heartbeat by Laurie Anderson or something like Civilization, Phaze III by Zappa for what the Synclavier sounds like. Its the same software ported to new platforms by the original makers

I'm less convinced by their porting of the original UI (& their bizarre obsession with their knob!) but I'll likely end up with this anyway......

so the same people who developed this app, did the program for Arturia, and this sounds as good as arturias?

• edited January 2019

More an 'Arturia did it for them', if I got some between the lines content right o:)
    (when collecting details about that thing)
    The original brand will have a much bigger impact...

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I so want it. I so wanted the Korg WaveStation though and never use that now.

the wavestation is cool and very useful everytime i use it which has been about six times in the last year.

• @Telefunky said:
    More an 'Arturia did it for them', if I got some between the lines content right o:)
    (when collecting details about that thing)
    The original brand will have a much bigger impact...

if this thing sounds as good as arturias version that would be incredible

• Is it Auv3 or IAA, can it be used in AUM or other apps?

• It's got AudioBus support (This IAA Generator). No AUv3 support yada yada.
    I feel no urgent need to get this...

• this is the site linked from Apple's store: http://www.synclavier.com
    Obviously this app will not contain the desktop's additional screens, but rely on the 'Knob'.
    Which is a hardware device currently $400, which you will want for authentic handling ;)

• mh, I thought I had read 79,99 $ somewhere, so I wonder is this 19,99 $ plus IAP ?
    Or do they intend to launch with 75 % reduction?

• @Samu said:
    It's got AudioBus support (This IAA Generator). No AUv3 support yada yada.
    I feel no urgent need to get this...

Me neither 😕

• @nick said:
    mh, I thought I had read 79,99 $ somewhere, so I wonder is this 19,99 $ plus IAP ?
    Or do they intend to launch with 75 % reduction?

The $80 app mentioned elsewhere was a different beast, intended to use with hardware.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

I hear that, I love the thing exists but don't use it much.

Plenty of Synclavier 2 demos on YT and the only thing that's hit me is "Oh, that's the Beat It! intro".

Great that someone is preserving it in iOSLand nonetheless.

• Anyone expecting to sound like Zappa will be dissapointed as he had a lot of custom made samples done for his synclavier. Not really worth what is being charged even on the desk top version without the sampler.

• edited January 2019

@pichi said:
    Anyone expecting to sound like Zappa will be dissapointed as he had a lot of custom made samples done for his synclavier. Not really worth what is being charged even on the desk top version without the sampler.

Zappa used the sampling capability quite extensively. Jazz From Hell being one of my favorites. Still interested in this app myself at the stated price.
    The first vid is a rare Zappa synclavier peice using samples. The second shows Frank in his home studio with his synclavier about 8 minutes into the video.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

It’s funny, but the couple of songs I’m working on (on the commute, on my iPhone) in Gadget are 100% Wavestation – just one column after the other of wavestation (including the drums). And presets, not my own patches, just exploring the multitude of existing presets.

• edited January 2019

@pichi said:
    Anyone expecting to sound like Zappa will be dissapointed as he had a lot of custom made samples done for his synclavier. Not really worth what is being charged even on the desk top version without the sampler.

The Arturia version has sampler and re-synthesis.

• No Au3, no purchase.

Shame.

• £20 for a Synclavier!? Count me in!

• edited January 2019

I wonder if it gets all the options like the Arturia vst?
    I see nothing about resynthesis. And why did they recreate the „old“ GUI on a modern multi-touch device? That is a bit beyond my mind. I wished they just port the Arturia 1:1 to iOS.
    I was excited but now i‘m not sure what it is.
    F.e. V2 of the plug-in:

• Don’t know if this just re-creates the original synth engine, but the original could be expanded to a mainframe sized beastie, I believe.

• Sampling is missing too :)

• I'm fighting the urge to want this simply based on the fact that it's a clone of a vintage synth. I love all these software recreations of vintage gear, but I'm struggling with my "Ooooh - a Synclavier! These cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and now I can have one for $20!" vs the "...but do I actually like the sounds?"

I had this issue with iM1 - bought it thinking it was an awesome vintage synth I needed. Then I realized that those sounds are exactly the sounds I hate most.

I had a similar issue with the Peter Vogel CMI app. Bought it thinking it was one thing, then realized that I wouldn't use most of the tones and that app doesn't play well with others (interconnectivity is a PITA).

Here's hoping once someone gets their hands on this that neither of these are true.

Oh yeah - and AUv3. Frankly in 2019 I think this should be a non-starter - no AU, no thanks.

• Is their a PDF user guide available or will their be as well as any Dev tuts? Please add a manual for use wanting to learn this cool beast Dev! Happy New Year from Elektrik Diva!

• @ElektrikDiva The Manual is built right into the app and is really helpful and intuitive, I’m making a Pre-Release maybe tomorrow or Sunday, but it will mainly be a Preset Demo as there are loads of cool and iconic sounds, plus the ability to fully program the instrument, I don’t think it has the sampler.

• Doug, I’ll look forward to your demo!

• I'm finally going to hold back on buying yet another new synth. With everything out there, this seems like something for people who are already familiar with the Synclavier and enamored with the sound. Perhaps this marks a new mature phase of app-buying for yours truly...

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    @ElektrikDiva The Manual is built right into the app and is really helpful and intuitive, I’m making a Pre-Release maybe tomorrow or Sunday, but it will mainly be a Preset Demo as there are loads of cool and iconic sounds, plus the ability to fully program the instrument, I don’t think it has the sampler.

Looking forward to your demo :)
    I have already preordered. On the preorder page for the iPad app they note at the bottom of the description “as we strive towards release 2.0”.
    Hope that could mean sampling is on the roadmap.