APHELIAN is finally out!!

13468914

Comments

  • @oat_phipps said:
    I used the term 'semi-generative' for it after watching the three tutorial videos from the dev, and I stand by it. You can switch and modify the shapes in real-time (as well as the scale) which changes the rhythm as well as the order of notes played.

    I think that when you get used to it, you could use it as a tool, knowing in advance were you going to. In that sense, is a new interface for the good old arpeggiator.

    But at the same time it is very easy to change the note sequence, so it's possible to flow with freedom, generating unexpected phrases, exploring and having fun. In that sense, it is similar to a semi-generative tool. But it is not generative as a system that uses and statistical process to decide progressions or something alike. It's deterministic.

    So, the way Aphelian behaves changes to a lot depending on what the user is willing to do within the jam

  • @oat_phipps said:
    Looks interesting, I just wonder how long it'd hold my interest and how much I'd really use it. Dabbling in other generative (or 'semi-generative') stuff over the past year has left me uninspired.

    Difficult thing to predict. For me it’s already generated some potentially usable clips for new tracks. I say potentially, as they’re not as tight as I’d like, so the proof in the pudding is if they can be polished up in the app. If they can, then it’ll get a lot of use from me.

    Then again it’s big sister Oscilab is a good thing too. But like Gadget, when I opened it recently I thought ‘this is great, why don’t I use it more?’ And then forgot about it again.

    I think it’s all about workflow. If it’s good, stable, and easily adds into your own particular flow then it’ll get a decent amount of use.

    Looking good for this one, but I thought the same about ApeMatrix a couple of months back...but in the meantime the fun element is certainly there.

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:

    @MonzoPro said:
    Another half hour play - this time triggering four AU’s in AUM - no crashes at all. So only two freezes in a couple of hours worth of noodling for me.

    Getting some really good results from this - eat you heart out The Orb.

    Loving this one.

    Your Friday night enthusiasm is encouraging (it's not JUST that I've got nothing else to do a Friday night, honest...). Out of interest what were you choosing to trigger in AUM?

    I’ve found it works really well with Aparillo, and I had a cracking bass sound from Sunrizer.

    What I like about it is you get nice long notes from it, my other sequencers can sound a tad ‘bitty’, tending to cut notes off too much. So I can do evolving slow stuff, as well as the plinkety plonk disco farge.

  • I confirm that it works much better if you disable the Link. I really enjoy this app now. I suspect hower a battery drain. Any comment on this?

  • Is there a way to move/adjust the white starting point in each shape?

  • @Carnbot said:
    Is there a way to move/adjust the white starting point in each shape?

    Have you played real time with this screen where you can control the playhead movement for all four sequences? So much fun and very powerful to bring natural feel to your creation.

  • @Trueyorky said:

    yeah but only briefly, that's a good feature. You can move the playheads with your finger there. But trying to find if you can set the start point for each playhead in the shape. Hope that's coming in the future if it's not already possible.

    eg. Here it's the white point start position at the top of the triangle. maybe there's a way of selecting another of the points to start from. Rotating the shape doesn't always bring the result I'm looking for.

    is that possible yet? :) @JuanB

  • @JuanB said:
    @skiphunt @InfoCheck @Carnbot

    Hi!
    We're sorry for the MIDI bugs!
    I will start working on them NOW!

    Thanks for lett8ng people know and responding, :)

  • @JuanB said:

    @gkillmaster said:
    Spent a little time and do like it! Maybe it was mentioned in another thread but would love to have more scales/modes to choose from. Maybe even microtuning!

    Hi! Thanks for the feedback.
    I couldn't agree more!!
    It's already on the roadmap.

    I always admired the tonal experiments of Wendy Carlos in "Sonic Seasonings" (1972), and one day a year ago, working on Aphelian, I came across her lectures called "Secrets of Synthesis". They were very revealing. From that day I'm thinking about adding more options in the frequency mode selector (the one that now has the options: NOTES/NOTES FLOW/FLOW).
    After stabilization and AU, this feature is a good candidate to continue the development.

    :)

    Wow! So excited for this! Thanks! And thanks for the Secrets of Sythesis mention. Will check it out!

  • Definitely finding it a lot more stable when using in apeMatrix/AUM other than Audiobus though, Would love to see midi program change for sessions (maybe a separate folder in the browser). Until it gets an AU that would be useful for state saving outside AB.

  • My main use for the app would be midi out. So I'll be waiting for the thumbs up when the bugs are fixed.

  • @Carnbot said:

    @Trueyorky said:

    yeah but only briefly, that's a good feature. You can move the playheads with your finger there. But trying to find if you can set the start point for each playhead in the shape. Hope that's coming in the future if it's not already possible.

    eg. Here it's the white point start position at the top of the triangle. maybe there's a way of selecting another of the points to start from. Rotating the shape doesn't always bring the result I'm looking for.

    is that possible yet? :) @JuanB

    +1 for this. I had a couple of hour long plays yesterday and I tried to figure out how to move that start point more than a few times...

  • @juanb congrats on the app. A worthy successor to oscilab. After a few hours here my observations

    +1 for a way to modify the start point of the sequence mentioned by @Carnbot

    Would it be easy to add a solo as well as mute?

    My first play with the synth made me think that the filter envelope is ‘weak’ or not fast enough. I tried to make a bass sound by shutting the low pass filter and letting the envelope decay open it up and even with full env amount it doesnt let sound through. It might be me but Ive done this same task of 10s of synths and it works as expected.

    I would like an blank project and and init patch for the synth. Although deconstructing the excellent demos teaches a lot about the app having a blank/ empty to build upon is a nice starting point also. For example I used the new project to start and it took me ages to find why the one tone would rise and fall in volume until I discovered there was a velocity automation enabled :) I thought there was something wrong with the app!

    Do I have to listen to Wendy’s lectures to understand the different opions for Note, Note Flow, Flow etc (joke) An explanation of the Note Sampling Modes and also the Orbit Align Options in the Orbit View and I think Ive understood everything

    All in all, amazing work. Love the sequencer, a beautiful user interface, and a cool new synth. Good luck with the midi bugs

  • Another little demo of the synth engine mostly. Love the sound of it. The synth alone is good enough imho to be a stand-alone app, maybe with a few tiny additional features like sub oscillators, different waveforms selection, etc. There’s a wide range of sound possibilities.

  • @MonzoPro said:

    @JohnnyGoodyear said:

    @MonzoPro said:
    Another half hour play - this time triggering four AU’s in AUM - no crashes at all. So only two freezes in a couple of hours worth of noodling for me.

    Getting some really good results from this - eat you heart out The Orb.

    Loving this one.

    Your Friday night enthusiasm is encouraging (it's not JUST that I've got nothing else to do a Friday night, honest...). Out of interest what were you choosing to trigger in AUM?

    I’ve found it works really well with Aparillo, and I had a cracking bass sound from Sunrizer.

    What I like about it is you get nice long notes from it, my other sequencers can sound a tad ‘bitty’, tending to cut notes off too much. So I can do evolving slow stuff, as well as the plinkety plonk disco farge.

    Good to hear. I also tend to prefer my madness slower and more atmospheric....hope to find an hour for this today...

  • edited January 5

    @JuanB update: I used again yesterday evening doing pretty much everything you can in the app, including midi out. Didn’t experience a single bug.

    Then again late last night. The same. Even hosted in apeMatrix with Link turned on, then tried inter-app syncing too. No issues other than sometimes when hosted in AUM or apeMatrix the transport control at the top will cover up the tempo control so that you can’t change it. Other times it’s not covering the tempo control, but it won’t respond. Something off there, but otherwise pretty stable still.

    I don’t know if it matters, but my initial install with problems was via the pre-ordered link.

  • edited January 5

    @skiphunt said:
    @JuanB update: I used again yesterday evening doing pretty much everything you can in the app, including midi out. Didn’t experience a single bug.

    Then again late last night. The same. Even hosted in apeMatrix with Link turned on, then tried inter-app syncing too. No issues other than sometimes when hosted in AUM or apeMatrix the transport control at the top will cover up the tempo control so that you can’t change it. Other times it’s not covering the tempo control, but it won’t respond. Something off there, but otherwise pretty stable still.

    I don’t know if it matters, but my initial install with problems was via the pre-ordered link.

    Were you doing scene changes too with the midi out?

  • edited January 5

    @Blipsford_Baubie said:

    @skiphunt said:
    @JuanB update: I used again yesterday evening doing pretty much everything you can in the app, including midi out. Didn’t experience a single bug.

    Then again late last night. The same. Even hosted in apeMatrix with Link turned on, then tried inter-app syncing too. No issues other than sometimes when hosted in AUM or apeMatrix the transport control at the top will cover up the tempo control so that you can’t change it. Other times it’s not covering the tempo control, but it won’t respond. Something off there, but otherwise pretty stable still.

    I don’t know if it matters, but my initial install with problems was via the pre-ordered link.

    Were you doing scene changes too with the midi out?

    No, but I’ll try real quick and see if works ok. Will report back.

    Edit: just tried midi out via one of the demo projects with scene changes. Tried stand-alone with midi out... crashed consistently. Tried Aphelian hosted in apeMatrix, playing demo with scene changes, then midi out... also crashes consistently.

    Interested if those who are using Aphelian on iPad Air2s, who are claiming “extensive use” without issues at all, can see if they can run midi out with scene changes and no crashing. My install crashes consistently with this.

  • @skiphunt said:
    @JuanB update: I used again yesterday evening doing pretty much everything you can in the app, including midi out. Didn’t experience a single bug.

    Then again late last night. The same. Even hosted in apeMatrix with Link turned on, then tried inter-app syncing too. No issues other than sometimes when hosted in AUM or apeMatrix the transport control at the top will cover up the tempo control so that you can’t change it. Other times it’s not covering the tempo control, but it won’t respond. Something off there, but otherwise pretty stable still.

    I don’t know if it matters, but my initial install with problems was via the pre-ordered link.

    Yeah I can certainly confirm it's worse in Audiobus than in other hosts. Unfortunately I still get bugs rearing up and crashes, but much less often.

  • U> @Carnbot said:

    @skiphunt said:
    @JuanB update: I used again yesterday evening doing pretty much everything you can in the app, including midi out. Didn’t experience a single bug.

    Then again late last night. The same. Even hosted in apeMatrix with Link turned on, then tried inter-app syncing too. No issues other than sometimes when hosted in AUM or apeMatrix the transport control at the top will cover up the tempo control so that you can’t change it. Other times it’s not covering the tempo control, but it won’t respond. Something off there, but otherwise pretty stable still.

    I don’t know if it matters, but my initial install with problems was via the pre-ordered link.

    Yeah I can certainly confirm it's worse in Audiobus than in other hosts. Unfortunately I still get bugs rearing up and crashes, but much less often.

    Yeah, with scene changes and midi out, hosted or not... mine is a consistently repeatable crash fest... same as @Blipsford_Baubie

  • @skiphunt said:

    @Blipsford_Baubie said:

    @skiphunt said:
    @JuanB update: I used again yesterday evening doing pretty much everything you can in the app, including midi out. Didn’t experience a single bug.

    Then again late last night. The same. Even hosted in apeMatrix with Link turned on, then tried inter-app syncing too. No issues other than sometimes when hosted in AUM or apeMatrix the transport control at the top will cover up the tempo control so that you can’t change it. Other times it’s not covering the tempo control, but it won’t respond. Something off there, but otherwise pretty stable still.

    I don’t know if it matters, but my initial install with problems was via the pre-ordered link.

    Were you doing scene changes too with the midi out?

    No, but I’ll try real quick and see if works ok. Will report back.

    Edit: just tried midi out via one of the demo projects with scene changes. Tried stand-alone with midi out... crashed consistently. Tried Aphelian hosted in apeMatrix, playing demo with scene changes, then midi out... also crashes consistently.

    Interested if those who are using Aphelian on iPad Air2s, who are claiming “extensive use” without issues at all, can see if they can run midi out with scene changes and no crashing. My install crashes consistently with this.

    Yes, I can confirm the freezing issue with MIDI and scene changes - dev is aware. I have tried disabling link, using standalone, using in AB, in AUM and ApeMatrix. No improvement. Also tried creating several scenes first with internal engine and replaying those with MIDI - some success with this but still experienced the freezing issue.

    No issues using internal sound engine or playing MIDI without creating new scenes.

  • @JuanB I got a few crashes in standalone here's the pertinent info from the last crash.

    {"app_name":"Aphelian","timestamp":"2019-01-05 10:17:52.80 -0800","app_version":"1.0.2","slice_uuid":"0c708e0f-b28e-3996-87bb-a735e5cca6d9","adam_id":1435855056,"build_version":"1988","bundleID":"com.aphelianlabs.aphelian","share_with_app_devs":false,"is_first_party":false,"bug_type":"109","os_version":"iPhone OS 12.1.1 (16C50)","incident_id":"01B7F2E2-4285-4D43-AB34-1C0E025FF2C0","name":"Aphelian"}
    Incident Identifier: 01B7F2E2-4285-4D43-AB34-1C0E025FF2C0
    CrashReporter Key: 0e974c5a1f3d66062cdd4ab5b99b080bcd704ad8
    Hardware Model: iPad5,3
    Process: Aphelian [609]
    Path: /private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/802D0645-92BA-4B8C-AA60-A7F1D0F69701/Aphelian.app/Aphelian
    Identifier: com.aphelianlabs.aphelian
    Version: 1988 (1.0.2)
    AppStoreTools: 10B63
    AppVariant: 1:iPad5,3:9
    Code Type: ARM-64 (Native)
    Role: Non UI
    Parent Process: launchd [1]
    Coalition: com.aphelianlabs.aphelian [557]

    Date/Time: 2019-01-05 10:17:52.3101 -0800
    Launch Time: 2019-01-05 10:12:43.2431 -0800
    OS Version: iPhone OS 12.1.1 (16C50)
    Baseband Version: n/a
    Report Version: 104

    Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
    Exception Subtype: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
    VM Region Info: 0 is not in any region. Bytes before following region: 4295458816
    REGION TYPE START - END [ VSIZE] PRT/MAX SHRMOD REGION DETAIL
    UNUSED SPACE AT START
    --->
    __TEXT 0000000100078000-000000010007c000 [ 16K] r-x/r-x SM=COW ....app/Aphelian

    Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
    Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
    Terminating Process: exc handler [609]
    Triggered by Thread: 0

    Thread 0 name: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
    Thread 0 Crashed:
    0 Aphelian 0x000000010012409c 0x100078000 + 704668
    1 Aphelian 0x0000000100124098 0x100078000 + 704664
    2 Aphelian 0x0000000100081b68 0x100078000 + 39784
    3 Aphelian 0x000000010016f838 0x100078000 + 1013816
    4 Aphelian 0x000000010009ce94 0x100078000 + 151188
    5 Aphelian 0x000000010028ace4 0x100078000 + 2174180
    6 Aphelian 0x000000010028aa98 0x100078000 + 2173592
    7 Aphelian 0x000000010028a89c 0x100078000 + 2173084
    8 Aphelian 0x00000001003a7508 0x100078000 + 3339528
    9 Aphelian 0x00000001003a7318 0x100078000 + 3339032
    10 Aphelian 0x00000001003a3008 0x100078000 + 3321864
    11 Aphelian 0x00000001003a31e8 0x100078000 + 3322344
    12 Aphelian 0x00000001003a3744 0x100078000 + 3323716
    13 Aphelian 0x00000001003a3418 0x100078000 + 3322904
    14 Aphelian 0x00000001003c4bb4 0x100078000 + 3460020
    15 Aphelian 0x00000001003b4694 0x100078000 + 3393172
    16 UIKitCore 0x00000001fc546110 0x1fbc22000 + 9584912
    17 UIKitCore 0x00000001fc547590 0x1fbc22000 + 9590160
    18 UIKitCore 0x00000001fc52688c 0x1fbc22000 + 9455756
    19 UIKitCore 0x00000001fc5f50f8 0x1fbc22000 + 10301688
    20 UIKitCore 0x00000001fc5f7af0 0x1fbc22000 + 10312432
    21 UIKitCore 0x00000001fc5f05e0 0x1fbc22000 + 10282464
    22 CoreFoundation 0x00000001cf5c51f0 0x1cf519000 + 705008
    23 CoreFoundation 0x00000001cf5c5170 0x1cf519000 + 704880
    24 CoreFoundation 0x00000001cf5c4a54 0x1cf519000 + 703060
    25 CoreFoundation 0x00000001cf5bf920 0x1cf519000 + 682272
    26 CoreFoundation 0x00000001cf5bf1f0 0x1cf519000 + 680432
    27 GraphicsServices 0x00000001d1838584 0x1d182d000 + 46468
    28 UIKitCore 0x00000001fc50b4c0 0x1fbc22000 + 9344192
    29 Aphelian 0x00000001001d40e0 0x100078000 + 1425632
    30 libdyld.dylib 0x00000001cf07ebb4 0x1cf07e000 + 2996

  • After some hazardous starts, I have done something with Aphelian. It is a very inspiring app and I really hope it will be very successful and that the few remaining bugs will soon be solved

  • @cuscolima said:
    After some hazardous starts, I have done something with Aphelian. It is a very inspiring app and I really hope it will be very successful and that the few remaining bugs will soon be solved

    👌😊👍
    Very nice! Thanks for sharing that. Swirling and upbeat, like the feeling when you get out of work or school on a nice spring day. What other apps or instruments if any did you use? Is that guitar sound near the end also from Aphelian?

  • Midi out + scenes causes a lockup on my Air2 as well.
    But, standalone with internal sounds causing no crashes of lockups at all.

    I suggest exploring the internal synth until the Midi out gets sorted. I find the internal synth to be quite good sounding, easy to tweak, and hooking up modulation is a snap.

  • @haulin_notes said:

    @cuscolima said:
    After some hazardous starts, I have done something with Aphelian. It is a very inspiring app and I really hope it will be very successful and that the few remaining bugs will soon be solved

    👌😊👍
    Very nice! Thanks for sharing that. Swirling and upbeat, like the feeling when you get out of work or school on a nice spring day. What other apps or instruments if any did you use? Is that guitar sound near the end also from Aphelian?

    Thanks. Other used apps are Aphelian, Quantichord, and a bit of Geoshred (using Reamp)...and the drums are from Future Drummer

  • It’s a really fun app. It’s like playing a cool video game, but for making interesting compositions.

    Once you move on from the readymade sequences and start playing more with the automation, etc. you can get some nice sound design oriented stuff too.

    Even with the launch bugs, it’s easy to recommend.

  • There are a couple of demo files that show off some different sounding stuff, as well.
    Also, some of the drum samples are not-so-typical, like gongs ands bombs.

    I don’t feel like this app is boxing me in, at all. There is plenty of control to guide it towards what you want. Once Midi gets the bugs worked out, then it will really be up to each person to utilize this app in their own way.

  • @Carnbot @skiphunt InfoCheck
    @cuscolima said:
    I confirm that it works much better if you disable the Link. I really enjoy this app now. I suspect hower a battery drain. Any comment on this?

    Hi! :)
    I found the underlying problem of the LINK related crashes and I'm submitting an update in a few moments.
    There are some reported bugs that I couldn't replicate, I'll keep working on that.

  • @JuanB said:

    @Carnbot @skiphunt InfoCheck
    @cuscolima said:
    I confirm that it works much better if you disable the Link. I really enjoy this app now. I suspect hower a battery drain. Any comment on this?

    Hi! :)
    I found the underlying problem of the LINK related crashes and I'm submitting an update in a few moments.
    There are some reported bugs that I couldn't replicate, I'll keep working on that.

    Thanks for your diligence and for the wonderful app. Muchos gracias! 😊

Sign In or Register to comment.