Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

APHELIAN is finally out!!

1246715

Comments

  • How do you switch the moons on and off? I seem to have moon A permanently on but moon B is always greyed out. I noticed that Doug mentioned it did not seem to be working yet in his video- but on the later demoes it seems to be working.

  • Hi @JuanB - have you been following the audio performance issues that some iPads are having with animations/graphics? It makes me think that a ‘No animations’ option for Aphelian might help? I know this goes against the core design but it might make the app more usable in some circumstances?

  • @audiblevideo said:
    @reasOne It can indeed do ambient -- > Colossal Mass-6 preset
    Working on making my own.

    @JuanB Great app, I'm sure you'll squish those bugs :)

    That Colossal preset crashes for me when pressing play when audiobus is in the background (even if aphelian is not loaded into Audiobus)

  • @robosardine said:
    How do you switch the moons on and off? I seem to have moon A permanently on but moon B is always greyed out. I noticed that Doug mentioned it did not seem to be working yet in his video- but on the later demoes it seems to be working.

    Both moons are always ON. The color difference is only to separate them visually.

  • edited January 4

    @JuanB I've gotta get some other stuff done... so I can't play anymore right now unfortunately. ;)

    However, I can report that I deleted Aphelian again. Then, I did 3 hard resets in a row. Then, I did a memory reset. Then, I reinstalled again fresh.

    After that I launched Aphelian, played some of the demos and changed some settings and parameters without issue. No crashing.

    After that, I started a NEW init and set up all 4 planet orbits, etc. and changed all of the settings for each synth. I also added automation to each synth and set up the in-app drums. All good.

    Then, I turned off in-app sound and set up each planet to play an external synth. No problem. No glitch nor crashing.

    I was even able to send midi out for the drums to play Bram's Troublemaker. No issues or crashing at all.

    That's just one session including demos, custom, then midi out for everything without any bugs detected. Will try again later to see if it's still stable, but it's very promising that maybe I had a bad install. Unless it's an issue of not releasing memory problem you mentioned before release... that builds with each session until it finally hits crash stage.

    So far, so good though. :)

    I'm on an iPad 10.5 Pro running iOS12.1.1 Aphelian and external synths all running in standalone mode.

  • @Carnbot said:
    @JuanB Great app, I'm sure you'll squish those bugs :)

    That Colossal preset crashes for me when pressing play when audiobus is in the background (even if aphelian is not loaded into Audiobus)

    Thanks! :)

  • @Trueyorky said:

    @reasOne said:
    How's it handle slower, down tempo, chill wave kinda stuff? All I've heard so far is more hyper upbeat stuff

    You should check one of the preloaded demos which I think runs at 20 bpm - it is awesome as is the app :
    @david_2017 said:

    @reasOne said:
    How's it handle slower, down tempo, chill wave kinda stuff? All I've heard so far is more hyper upbeat stuff

    Delicious! I have a little jam in the making in which i drive sunrizer and stuff in AUM via Aphelian and it’s really nice. It’s a wonderful sequencer! 💪🏼😎 so creative and versatile. Just clever

    you guys talked me into it haha !!

  • @MonzoPro said:
    Just a quick demo for anyone who's interested - this came from 5 minutes mucking about with the app, which was triggering two Aparillo's and a Sunrizer:

    Wow that's rad! Did you screen cap the process?

  • @MonzoPro are the drums from Aparillo ?

  • This is a madhouse of fun, which is cool because I would have bought just to support true innovation on the platform (love the creative use of the touchscreen). The fact that it's fun and will yield new music is exciting to me. Well done, @JuanB!

    For what it's worth I saw no crashes until I hooked up MIDI in AudioBus. Then things got decidedly less stable. I'm sure it'll get sorted!

  • edited January 4

    @reasOne said:
    @MonzoPro are the drums from Aparillo ?

    The drums are the one's built into Aphelian :) I just stuck that into another channel in AUM, and muted the synth sounds.

  • edited January 4

    Just had a good half hour play with it - triggering two instances of Aparillo and one of Sunrizer, with a channel out for the Aphelian drum track in AUM. Mucked about with new scenes, created new songs - gave it a thorough thrashing and no crashes at all. It does seem to hesitate slightly when going from AUM back to the app - as if it's thinking about freezing but then doesn't, but apart from the freeze this morning I've had no issues, so maybe the reboot did the trick. I'll do more tonight so see if it keeps it up.

    Air 2.

  • Can you assign all of the synths parameters to the orbiting x-y modulation?

  • @MonzoPro said:

    @reasOne said:
    @MonzoPro are the drums from Aparillo ?

    The drums are the one's built into Aphelian :) I just stuck that into another channel in AUM, and muted the synth sounds.

    That's awesome man I really dig that jam! Added you on sc now that I know who you are there haha

    @MonzoPro said:
    It does seem to hesitate slightly when going from AUM back to the app - as if it's thinking about freezing but then doesn't...

    Air 2.

    Can you explain what you mean by going back into AUM? I'm new to routing midi lol I've always just jammed live with keys... So I'm curious what I'm missing out on here 😆

  • Just to help with trouble-shooting, I played last night for an hour with no problems except for zeeon crashing once. I believe it had to do with changing presets while Aphelian was running.

    Ipad mini2 on iOS 12.1
    Synth engines were off and i was driving Ruismaker from the drum sequencer and Troublemaker and Zeeon from orbits 1 and 2. At one point i substitute Bassalicious for Troublemaker.
    Everything hosted inside AUM except for for Aphelian, it was stand alone.
    I was mainly manipulating shapes, drawing notes, choosing different shapes and note template things. I haven't mucked with scenes or moons yet or internal synths.

  • @knewspeak said:
    Can you assign all of the synths parameters to the orbiting x-y modulation?

    Yes all the synths parameters are assignable and you can have all of them going at once.

  • @robosardine said:

    @knewspeak said:
    Can you assign all of the synths parameters to the orbiting x-y modulation?

    Yes all the synths parameters are assignable and you can have all of them going at once.

    Cheers, sounds crazily good to me.

  • @knewspeak said:
    Can you assign all of the synths parameters to the orbiting x-y modulation?

    The knobs and sliders with the “+” marks can be controlled by automation.
    The types of automation are in the pop up panel when you select a control to map.


  • edited January 4

    @reasOne said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    @reasOne said:
    @MonzoPro are the drums from Aparillo ?

    The drums are the one's built into Aphelian :) I just stuck that into another channel in AUM, and muted the synth sounds.

    That's awesome man I really dig that jam! Added you on sc now that I know who you are there haha

    @MonzoPro said:
    It does seem to hesitate slightly when going from AUM back to the app - as if it's thinking about freezing but then doesn't...

    Air 2.

    Can you explain what you mean by going back into AUM? I'm new to routing midi lol I've always just jammed live with keys... So I'm curious what I'm missing out on here 😆

    I've got four channels set up in AUM - two AU Aparillo instances and one AU Sunrizer. I've then got a fourth channel loaded with Aphelian - all the onboard synths are muted in Aphelian, so only the drums can be heard.

    If you click the MIDI source for each AUM channel (list icon to the left of each instrument icon) I have 'Aphelian' selected as the input for the Aparillo and Sunrizer instances. I've got three synth tracks going in Aphelian, and so in the MIDI AUM channels I've filtered every channel out except 1 on the first Aparillo, 2 on the second Aparillo, and 3 on the Sunrizer channel. I'm not using any MIDI for the fourth Aphelian channel as that's just capturing audio from the apps drums.

    In Aphelian I've got the sound setting for each synth set to 'MIDI', Send 'On', Interface 'Aphelian', and the relevant channel to correspond to the settings in AUM. I then mute all the onboard synths so it just plays my AU synths.

    Thanks for the comment about the track - it's pretty crap actually, but was my first go with the app and I wanted to get something up quick. It's actually really easy to get something musical out of this, and my second go just now was far better :)

  • @JohnnyGoodyear
    Have you used Oscilab much? For me, being familiar with that app made Aphelian seem very familiar. It really is much like an Oscilab 2, where Oscilab is in rectangular coordinates, and Aphelian is in polar coordinates. Oscilab goes left/right and up/down, Aphelian goes round and round.

  • @JohnnyGoodyear definitely not just for boffins. Quite accessible right out of the box. Small shop churning out something innovative... Worth the $$$ for me all the way around.

  • @CracklePot said:

    @knewspeak said:
    Can you assign all of the synths parameters to the orbiting x-y modulation?

    The knobs and sliders with the “+” marks can be controlled by automation.
    The types of automation are in the pop up panel when you select a control to map.


    Thanks for the screenshots, now my resistance to hold off, is overcome by the need to modulate.

  • @knewspeak said:

    @CracklePot said:

    @knewspeak said:
    Can you assign all of the synths parameters to the orbiting x-y modulation?

    The knobs and sliders with the “+” marks can be controlled by automation.
    The types of automation are in the pop up panel when you select a control to map.


    Thanks for the screenshots, now my resistance to hold off, is overcome by the need to modulate.

    Ooh, haven’t tried that yet...

  • Made a quick video using the scence/song mode. Really interesting app congrats @JuanB

  • @JuanB said:
    Comments and suggestions are welcome!
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aphelian/id1435855056?ls=1&mt=8

    Congratulations on your new APP release Juan! Is there a user manual guide PDF file as well as the tuts available? Instahbuy for me!!!! Happy New Year, Elektrik Diva

  • @hacked_to_pieces said:
    Made a quick video using the scence/song mode. Really interesting app congrats @JuanB

    That was fun!

  • @lukesleepwalker said:

    That was fun!

    @lukesleepwalker it's a fun app with tons of things to explore. Still has not crashed yet on my air 2 but I'm sure as I venture beyond standalone and use the numerous hosting apps that will change. But standalone has been trouble free so far.

    I also had it running in AUM sending midi to Kauldron with no issue at all. Hopefully, the developer can sort it out soon.

  • edited January 4

    To those who've been experiencing crashes and bugs... earlier this morning I tried deleting Aphelian. Then did 3 hard resets in a row. Restarted, then did a memory reset before installing Aphelian fresh again.

    Was able to play all of the demos without issue. Was able to compose a tune from a NEW init using the in-app audio along with automation, etc. No issues or crashes. Then, turned off in-app audio and sent midi out to external synths, etc. without issue. No crash or freezing.

    Had to stop playing for a bit, but had another 20mins this afternoon to try again. Did the same things, ie. demos, custom, midi out, etc. Same as this morning. Still, no glitches, freezes, or crashes.

    @JuanB Fingers crossed, but it may have been a corrupt install in my case. Though, I did try a reinstall last night too... but I didn't do all of the hard resets and memory resets, etc. So far, seems fine and stable. :)

  • It’s a fun Friday !

Sign In or Register to comment.