Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

APHELIAN is finally out!!

Comments

• edited September 2019

This app doesn’t use Keys.
    You pick any of of the 12 notes you want.
    You can pick different notes for each instrument, in each Scene.
    You can pick chromatic or accidental notes, scale notes of any scale, or any regular or extended chord you want, as long as the notes come from the 12 note chromatic scale.
    (If you don’t really want notes, you can put the synth in Flow mode with some glissando to get all bendy with the notes. It can sound like a continuous bending tone.)

So to make a chord progression, you make scenes, one for each chord you want to use.
    The you sequence your scenes in Song mode to create your chord progression.

It is hard to get it to play a specific note at a specific time. It will choose from among your selected notes, and play them back according to how the playhead intersects the greyscale map.
    Dark shades are lower notes, lighter shades are higher notes.
    The playhead travels around the greyscale map in the pattern you choose.
    When it is supposed to play a note, it will pick the note depending on the shade of grey the playhead is covering at that instant.

• Cool! Thanks for the great explanation.😌👍🏼

@CracklePot said:
    This app doesn’t use Keys.
    You pick any of of the 12 notes you want.
    You can pick different notes for each instrument, in each Scene.
    You can pick chromatic or accidental notes, scale notes of any scale, or any regular or extended chord you want, as long as the notes come from the 12 note chromatic scale.
    (If you don’t really want notes, you can put the synth in Flow mode with some glissando to get all bendy with the notes. It can sound like a continuous bending tone.)

So to make a chord progression, you make scenes, one for each chord you want to use.
    The you sequence your scenes in Song mode to create your chord progression.

It is hard to get it to play a specific note at a specific time. It will choose from among your selected notes, and play them back according to how the playhead intersects the greyscale map.
    Dark shades are lower notes, lighter shades are higher notes.
    The playhead travels around the greyscale map in the pattern you choose.
    When it is supposed to play a note, it will pick the note depending on the shade of grey the playhead is covering at that instant.

• OK so now for a more general question, if I may ...
    Of those of you who were so excited about the app back in January, is it still getting used and inspiring you? Or have you put it aside.

• @kinkujin said:
    OK so now for a more general question, if I may ...
    Of those of you who were so excited about the app back in January, is it still getting used and inspiring you? Or have you put it aside.

I still use it. It is a great app to start something new in, or for quick sessions.
    It is a cool, unique modulation source, too, to use with other apps.

If you have used Oscilab and liked it, you will like this one too.
    Very similar to Oscilab, but much deeper and takes the Oscilab ideas to the next level.

• RJBRJB
    edited September 2019

I see the thread got revived because of a Facebook post about potential AUV3 implementation but I couldn’t gleam any info from there.

Any Portuguese speakers have the goods on any info?

• @CracklePot said:

@kinkujin said:

I still use it. It is a great app to start something new in, or for quick sessions.

Very similar to Oscilab, but much deeper and takes the Oscilab ideas to the next level.

Thanks CracklePot. I do love Oscilab.

• @kinkujin said:

Still a fave for me. I can count on it producing something entrancing even if I only have a few minutes to invest. It’s my go to app when I just want to quickly get into a bit of music making. The only downside for me is that it ‘s iPad only because I ‘d use it even more if there was an iPhone version.

• @kinkujin said:

Got sidetracked with Mozaic and Factory. I still love it. Still use it. Will never cull it from my pad.

• Thanks for your thoughts @Angie and @audiblevideo ! Appreciate you.

• @kinkujin said:

@CracklePot said:

@kinkujin said:

It has not been central to my work flow, but it is an app that I turn to periodically either as musical entertainment or to break me out of my same old patterns.

• edited September 2019

Same here. I really wish it was available in the iPhone as well like Gestrument Pro; sometimes I can get to my iPad as the iphone.

Mr. Developer @JuanB , Any plans on it ever going to iPhone?

@kinkujin said:
    Thanks for your thoughts @Angie and @audiblevideo ! Appreciate you.

@espiegel123 said:

@kinkujin said:

@CracklePot said:

@kinkujin said:

It has not been central to my work flow, but it is an app that I turn to periodically either as musical entertainment or to break me out of my same old patterns.

• This app does not disappoint so far!

• Was looking at the below video and really liked the slow and thorough presentation of this app. However, is there a way to midi control how all the four Arps play? Or do they stay on a single key? What I mean is say I start all arps in a key of A and I then wanna go to Bminor then to C major and so on and so forth while having the arps play according to the key I’m in, is this possible?

Or is this something that has to be accomplished after by other apps?

I wonder because I really like the way the app allows you to tweak the arps but I keep hearing them all stay on a single key. I did notice the video poster change keys but it was not as natural as if you were driving it with a midi controller or with an onboard keyboard.

I also wonder if having Mosaic and having a script that hears the incoming midi and allows you switch the keys in real-time @wim you think this might be possible given the scenario I stated above? Thanks!

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Was looking at the below video and really liked the slow and thorough presentation of this app. However, is there a way to midi control how all the four Arps play? Or do they stay on a single key? What I mean is say I start all arps in a key of A and I then wanna go to Bminor then to C major and so on and so forth while having the arps play according to the key I’m in, is this possible?

I wonder because I really like the way the app allows you to tweak the arps but I keep hearing them all stay on a single key. I did notice the video poster change keys but it was not as natural as if you were driving it with a midi controller or with an onboard keyboard.

I also wonder if having Mosaic and having a script that hears the incoming midi and allows you switch the keys in real-time @wim you think this might be possible given the scenario I stated above? Thanks!

I don't know enough about Aphelian at this point to say. There would need to be some kind of midi mappable control for changing keys in Aphelian. If there is, then you don't need Mozaic. If there isn't, then there's nothing for Mozaic to work with on the input side. So, I'm pretty sure that's a "no".

But, you can always change the key on the outbound side. All you need to do is put a scale quantizer such as Rozeta Scales, MF Scales, or some of the Mozaic scripts that transpose scales.

Now, having said all that, I'm not sure you're actually meaning "switch keys", as in changing the actual scale, such as changing all notes from key of Cmaj to key of Dmaj. It sounds as if maybe you're saying "change chords", as in changing the arp to play different chords within the same key.

Can you clarify what you're trying to do?

• Thanks Wim you are amazing!!!

Yes, I meant the chords. So you gave me an idea and I went and tried it with AB3 and instead scaler and your right it does work on the output of what ever is sending midi to it. Now I wonder if there’s a way to automate scaler with an external keyboard or with another screen keyboard to tellbit what chord to switch to. I hope this makes sense 😳 but so far I think you get what I’m after. Of course it would be so awesome if the app allowed the chord changes to be made on the input side but I like your reasoning; you’re a blessing to us here my friend!❤️❤️😌🙏☝️

@wim said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    Was looking at the below video and really liked the slow and thorough presentation of this app. However, is there a way to midi control how all the four Arps play? Or do they stay on a single key? What I mean is say I start all arps in a key of A and I then wanna go to Bminor then to C major and so on and so forth while having the arps play according to the key I’m in, is this possible?

I don't know enough about Aphelian at this point to say. There would need to be some kind of midi mappable control for changing keys in Aphelian. If there is, then you don't need Mozaic. If there isn't, then there's nothing for Mozaic to work with on the input side. So, I'm pretty sure that's a "no".

But, you can always change the key on the outbound side. All you need to do is put a scale quantizer such as Rozeta Scales, MF Scales, or some of the Mozaic scripts that transpose scales.

Now, having said all that, I'm not sure you're actually meaning "switch keys", as in changing the actual scale, such as changing all notes from key of Cmaj to key of Dmaj. It sounds as if maybe you're saying "change chords", as in changing the arp to play different chords within the same key.

Can you clarify what you're trying to do?

• edited September 2019

@Tones4Christ said:
    Of course it would be so awesome if the app allowed the chord changes to be made on the input side

Does this make any more sense to you, now that you have bought the app and have used it some?

@CracklePot said:
    You can set up Song Mode in Aphelian, and it will follow the chord changes and durations you pre-program into the Song Mode page. Check out some of the demo files to see how they are set up.

You change the selected notes for the synths to what you want, then save it as a scene. You create a separate scene for each chord you want to switch to.
    You go into Song Mode and create a song sequence built from your scenes. You create a sequence of scene changes, and specify how long to stay in a scene before switching to the next, to match the chord progression you are trying to play.

You can also just stay in Scene Mode, and manually trigger scene changes by pushing the corresponding scene button in the little scene palate, at the right time.

I don’t think you can trigger scene changes via external midi messages. Just manually, or using Song Mode.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

@Tones4Christ said:
    Thanks Wim you are amazing!!!

Yes, I meant the chords. So you gave me an idea and I went and tried it with AB3 and instead scaler and your right it does work on the output of what ever is sending midi to it. Now I wonder if there’s a way to automate scaler with an external keyboard or with another screen keyboard to tellbit what chord to switch to. I hope this makes sense 😳 but so far I think you get what I’m after. Of course it would be so awesome if the app allowed the chord changes to be made on the input side but I like your reasoning; you’re a blessing to us here my friend!❤️❤️😌🙏☝️

Thanks for all the kind words bro. B)

I think Cality might be the best commercial tool for you're after here. Nvm all the fancy options, the Pitch section has dials for Scale, Root, and Chord. So, set Cmaj, Chord I, and you get only Cmaj chord notes coming out. Set it to II (2) and you get Dmin chord notes, etc. In other words, the notes going through are going to be forced to whatever chord degree you set, and stay in key.

The Chord knob is controlled by cc's. So, if you wanted to press notes to change the chord, rather than turning dials, you'd need something like mfxConvert to change the notes to cc values.

It would be possible to make a Mozaic script to do something like the above, but Cality is already able.

• I haven’t bought it yet. After getting into all the KEW hype I went down on my iTunes credits so gotta be more careful with impulse buys. I do have Oscilab and I was trying out Wim’s ideas with it. I tried scaler and it does work but it doesn’t feel good using a slider to switch chords via the Transposer slider.😌 but it’s great that’s there so we can try.🤗🤓

@CracklePot said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    Of course it would be so awesome if the app allowed the chord changes to be made on the input side

Does this make any more sense to you, now that you have bought the app and have used it some?

@CracklePot said:
    You can set up Song Mode in Aphelian, and it will follow the chord changes and durations you pre-program into the Song Mode page. Check out some of the demo files to see how they are set up.

You change the selected notes for the synths to what you want, then save it as a scene. You create a separate scene for each chord you want to switch to.
    You go into Song Mode and create a song sequence built from your scenes. You create a sequence of scene changes, and specify how long to stay in a scene before switching to the next, to match the chord progression you are trying to play.

You can also just stay in Scene Mode, and manually trigger scene changes by pushing the corresponding scene button in the little scene palate, at the right time.

I don’t think you can trigger scene changes via external midi messages. Just manually, or using Song Mode.

• Ah yes, I run dry on AppStore credits often too. :)

• pretty straightforward question here: is there a way to “initialize” each track/orbit? Creating a new project from the file menu loads up four populated orbits—triangle, square, etc. It would be helpful to me to start with a blank slate and then proceed with an additive approach.

Thanks.

• @zilld2017 said:
    pretty straightforward question here: is there a way to “initialize” each track/orbit? Creating a new project from the file menu loads up four populated orbits—triangle, square, etc. It would be helpful to me to start with a blank slate and then proceed with an additive approach.

I understand. We were afraid that new users would have a hard time getting sound output, so we create a default project. For the advanced user, it is annoying to clear the same project every time.

Maybe we should find a way set and alternative "clean project", so the users have the option to define their own initial state (this is because the engine needs to be initialized to something to work)

• @JuanB said:

@zilld2017 said:
    pretty straightforward question here: is there a way to “initialize” each track/orbit? Creating a new project from the file menu loads up four populated orbits—triangle, square, etc. It would be helpful to me to start with a blank slate and then proceed with an additive approach.

I understand. We were afraid that new users would have a hard time getting sound output, so we create a default project. For the advanced user, it is annoying to clear the same project every time.

Maybe we should find a way set and alternative "clean project", so the users have the option to define their own initial state (this is because the engine needs to be initialized to something to work)

That is a good idea.
    I often make a ‘clean’ default preset in other apps (synths, FX) that don’t provide one, to load when starting from scratch.
    But I will just use a convenient ‘clear’ button if the app has one. That is another simple way to start fresh.

• @JuanB

Good evening,

I now have Aphelian.
    I installed it and I've found that the Auv3 sequencer
    can be found in Auria Pro but not in AUM or BM3.

The full IAA version and standalone versions work perfectly okay.

Any ideas?

• @Gravitas said:
    @JuanB

Good evening,

I now have Aphelian.

Any ideas?

It shows up fine in AUM for me. Are you looking in MIDI lanes? The AU is MIDI only. So, in AUM it is only available in a MIDI lane.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gravitas said:
    @JuanB

Good evening,

I now have Aphelian.

Any ideas?

It shows up fine in AUM for me. Are you looking in MIDI lanes? The AU is MIDI only. So, in AUM it is only available in a MIDI lane.

Ahhh.
    Silly me.
    I was busy looking for the full app.
    Okay that will explain why
    I couldn't find it in AUM or BM3.
    I hardly if ever use the midi lanes in AUM.
    I will do now though.

Thank you.

Does it have a background audio switch do you know?

• @espiegel123

No worries.

AUM stabilises it in regards to background audio playing.

I've been playing with it all evening.

I'm loving the whole planets, moons vibe about
    it and the visuals compliment it wonderfully.

It's really cool.

• Are you using the full app or AU in AUM?

@Gravitas said:
    @espiegel123

No worries.

AUM stabilises it in regards to background audio playing.

I've been playing with it all evening.

I'm loving the whole planets, moons vibe about
    it and the visuals compliment it wonderfully.

It's really cool.

• @Tones4Christ

As IAA in AUM.

It’s a midi sequencer in Auv3.

To get the full synths, drum machine, visual experience you need to be in either standalone or as a full IAA in AUM.

I recommend both.

• Oh ok thought I was doing something wrong. I do also love the planetary stuff just adds special twist to music making.

Only thing I really wished is the ability to drive the midi just like one does with StepPolyArp. Changing chords in realtime.